As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's after Six. What am I, a farmer? [Discussing changing and evolving norms and fashions]

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    CptKemzik wrote:
    8. Listening to music on your ipod or in your car so loud that other people can hear it. This just seems like a lack of basic courtesy to me, but maybe there is a reason people do it.
    The reason might be that some people like listening to their music at a loud volume? Long term health effects (of excessive use) aside I really don't think it's a mystery. With headphones there are situations where it is rude to be playing them at that volume. Otherwise I think the only solution is to move to an unpopulated island if it's that big of a problem. Now, cars that are equipped with subwoofers so loud you can hear the bass from the inside of your residence? Yeah I can understand having a bone to pick with that but ultimately isn't something i run into that often where it becomes a problem.
    If you ride a bus, you run into this shit all the time.

If I can recognize the song you're listening to sitting across from you, it's too fucking loud, asshole.

fwiw it's possible they don't know how loud it sounds. there are a lot of machinery (and other miscellanea) sounds on a bus and some people don't realize how much big 'phones bleed.

I actually find the I hear the music people are listening to with ear buds much more than OE headphones. I honestly worry about their hearing in the future.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ear buds are the most uncomfortable shit in the world. I don't give a fuck if your brand is super comfortable, by default they're super uncomfortable to wear.

They're just painful either I have to cram them in my ear to get them to not dangle away in the wind or they rest at just the right angle that after 15 minutes it's painful.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    CptKemzik wrote:
    8. Listening to music on your ipod or in your car so loud that other people can hear it. This just seems like a lack of basic courtesy to me, but maybe there is a reason people do it.
    The reason might be that some people like listening to their music at a loud volume? Long term health effects (of excessive use) aside I really don't think it's a mystery. With headphones there are situations where it is rude to be playing them at that volume. Otherwise I think the only solution is to move to an unpopulated island if it's that big of a problem. Now, cars that are equipped with subwoofers so loud you can hear the bass from the inside of your residence? Yeah I can understand having a bone to pick with that but ultimately isn't something i run into that often where it becomes a problem.

If I can recognize the song you're listening to sitting across from you, it's too fucking loud, asshole.

fwiw it's possible they don't know how loud it sounds. there are a lot of machinery (and other miscellanea) sounds on a bus and some people don't realize how much big 'phones bleed.

I actually find the I hear the music people are listening to with ear buds much more than OE headphones. I honestly worry about their hearing in the future.

It's possible they have fucked up hearing already and have to listen to music at a louder volume than other people. I had chronic ear infections as a kid that led to my eardrums having blisters that would burst and bleed every once in a while, so I don't hear as well as I should as a result. Needless to say, I have to turn up the TV a bit more than other people, and I'm sure I listen to my music a bit louder as well to compensate for hearing that I lost as a child.

I'm sure that some people do it to "look cool" or something, but I'm not sure why your first inclination is that people are doing it to piss you off and not because they have hearing issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    High-quality earbuds create a seal, from which no sound can be heard.

Beats are not high-quality earbuds.

edit- though they sure have high-quality earbud prices! Thanks, Monster!

adytum on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Earbud enjoyment is entirely dependent on the shape of your ears.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i find them reasonably comfortable. i just didn't have the cash to get a nice pair of over-ears and a nice pair of buds.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    bowen wrote:
    Ear buds are the most uncomfortable shit in the world. I don't give a fuck if your brand is super comfortable, by default they're super uncomfortable to wear.

They're just painful either I have to cram them in my ear to get them to not dangle away in the wind or they rest at just the right angle that after 15 minutes it's painful.

For me it is the complete opposite as I tend to find ear buds quite comfortable but almost all of the ones that go over the ears will annoy and discomfort me. These are probably my cheap-ass favourites since they let me put the side of my head flat against something like the headcushions on a trainseat and still not feel them since they go pretty far into the ear.

Numi on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    i don't really think that it's possible to see someone with headphones around their neck and determine- without asking them- whether they plan to listen to music. maybe it's just a fashion thing for some people, but for others there are plenty of reasons why you might take them off at times.

I'm thinking more like at a movie theater, in a restaurant with other people at your table or (and this is only second hand) in a club even.

for me i'd just assume that they brought the headphones to listen to them on the way to and from those places. or maybe they were out all day and didn't get the chance to stop home before going to dinner or deciding to catch a movie or whatever.

Fair enough. It seems like whenever I see people doing this, they have "cool" headphones like beats on, but maybe it isn't a style thing.

i'm sure that some people do basically treat them as fashion accessories. i have a pair of headphones that i think are pretty nice looking

(!!d6Zl-w!2M~$(KGrHqUH-DEEtgvoFbePBLhN,,YYvQ~~_35.JPG)

but i can't imagine wearing them if i don't plan on using them at all

Man I'd never wear SR-80s outdoors - I have some cheap (and hideously ugly) Koss PortaPros for that :P

• Options
    hah my sr-80s are the only 'phones i own

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I've seen earbuds that you can jack up all the way and no one outside the wearer can hear them, and I've seen earbuds that listening to at a reasonable volume can still be heard by everyone around you. I've got a pair of the most comfortable earbuds in the world, and a pair of the most uncomfortable in the world.

Generally speaking, you can't talk about earbuds in any general manner.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I never found earbuds or canalbuds comfortable until my wife got me the bose earbuds, which I love. They don't get jammed in your ear canal, but they stay comfortably because of the shape. I switch between them and my Astro A30's on my commute, depending on what I'm doing.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Earbuds are ok for short-spurts in my experience. After like an hour or more, your ears start aching.

I dislike them but glasses make it hard to wear the big foamy headphones.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    It's possible they have fucked up hearing already and have to listen to music at a louder volume than other people. I had chronic ear infections as a kid that led to my eardrums having blisters that would burst and bleed every once in a while, so I don't hear as well as I should as a result. Needless to say, I have to turn up the TV a bit more than other people, and I'm sure I listen to my music a bit louder as well to compensate for hearing that I lost as a child.

I'm sure that some people do it to "look cool" or something, but I'm not sure why your first inclination is that people are doing it to piss you off and not because they have hearing issues.
    Not saying they're deliberately being dicks, but if you have hearing issues, it's your job to figure out a way to compensate for them (like, by getting over-ear headphones instead of earbuds), not everyone else's job to cease desiring a bus ride where they don't have to listen to a bunch of other people's music.

• Options
    Does no one have an answer to any of my style questions? I know hipsters wear skinny jeans, but why? They weren't just issued to them the day the decided to be hipsters. . .

• Options
    i think as a general rule more slim fitting jeans look better than baggy ones. i'm not a fan of a skin tight fit but i think i'm a lot closer to that side of the spectrum than the 'relaxed' (re: baggy) fit enjoyed by the middle aged guys who bag on hipsters for being thin and being able to rock shit they can't.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    i think as a general rule more slim fitting jeans look better than baggy ones. i'm not a fan of a skin tight fit but i think i'm a lot closer to that side of the spectrum than the 'relaxed' (re: baggy) fit enjoyed by the middle aged guys who bag on hipsters for being thin and being able to rock shit they can't.

the thing with slim fitting jeans is they look ridiculous on anyone that has muscle on their legs, it's not just out of shape people. if you do any running/cycling/ leg curls or extensions, you just flat out can't wear them. They're for the anorexic who do no physical activity. At least for men.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Uh I have a couple pairs of levis 511's (i think thats the number) which are the slim fit ones, and I have legs with muscles. I have no significant trouble putting them on, because I'm wearing the correct waist/leg size. I mean, maybe this is an issue with jeans that are nearly skin tight but I honestly don't see people wearing those often enough to make any sort of grand sweeping statements about them.

• Options
    that isn't my experience at all. i was training for a marathon at 185 lbs and wore jeans that i'm sure plenty of dudes would call metro or gay or emo or hipster or whatever is the buzzword for 'not baggy' these days.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    i have never found a pair of earbuds that didnt make my ears hurt

i think its because i have preternaturally small ears

on the other hand i do prefer over ear headphones in general

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Does no one have an answer to any of my style questions? I know hipsters wear skinny jeans, but why? They weren't just issued to them the day the decided to be hipsters. . .

Were you alive in the 90s? Or 80s?

People wear the dumbest things.

tumblr_ll91xkj1Ex1qetge4.jpg

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Man, I really hope the "hiked-up parachute pants with sockless pastel loafers" look comes back around.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Read up on them on Wikipedia. I'm sure it'll tell you the details.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Man, I really hope the "hiked-up parachute pants with sockless pastel loafers" look comes back around.

I am confident that I would totally rock that look.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    3. Slacking. Why would you wear your pants in a manner that lets people see your underwear?

the way I heard it, it originated in prison as some kind of signal. What it means, I don't know, and I'm not even sure its true, but there you go

• Options
    Julius wrote:

I am confident that I would totally rock that look.

Thinking back on it more, I can't believe there were bullies at my various schools who rocked those exact looks.

That's a hell of thing for a young kid to fear: a douchebag in neon Hammer pants with a side-spike that has lightning bolts shaved into the side of it.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote:
    3. Slacking. Why would you wear your pants in a manner that lets people see your underwear?

the way I heard it, it originated in prison as some kind of signal. What it means, I don't know, and I'm not even sure its true, but there you go

I heard it was because you weren't allowed a belt in prison or something.

But I'd imagine it's probably just a racist stereotype about black people

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote:
    Joolander wrote:

I heard it was because you weren't allowed a belt in prison or something.

But I'd imagine it's probably just a racist stereotype about black people

That is where it came from, but had nothing to do with black people. Rappers like Pac borrowed the look, including white t-shirt/wifebeater and the bandana, from cholos (Mexican thugs).

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    CptKemzik wrote:

My brother does it because he's autistic and he needs a "bubble" mechanism to prevent being overwhelmed.

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I am being polite by listening to my music loud on the bus, by sharing my good music with you. Here you go, stranger, enjoy this great music. Be grateful, man. You think listening to music is free?

• Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular

Be the change you want to see in the world, my friend.

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    mythago wrote:

Be the change you want to see in the world, my friend.

You know, I tried to bring back a more classy, retro look here at my workplace, but they surprisingly seemed to frown on me getting dressed up in a cap, skirt, and white pantyhose.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    You say that without providing pictures?

You are a bad person.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular

Wait... You are confused about the style of wearing slim-fit jeans (an arbitrary fashion without any functional reason), yet you are offended when people don't align with other arbitrary fashion trends, such as the wearing of clothing with buttons, tying small pieces of cloth around the neck and removing other pieces of cloth from the head while inside constructions?

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    By the way. What is a "hipster"? A image googling yields pictures which slightly looks like what I'm wearing right now, as well as those weird Kanye West plastic-bar sunglasses along with bikes, girls in underwear, bikes, and two naked dudes in a bath-tub.... Which is to say, I have no idea what you refer to when saying "hipsters"...

• Options
    Morran wrote:
    By the way. What is a "hipster"? A image googling yields pictures which slightly looks like what I'm wearing right now, as well as those weird Kanye West plastic-bar sunglasses along with bikes, girls in underwear, bikes, and two naked dudes in a bath-tub.... Which is to say, I have no idea what you refer to when saying "hipsters"...

I think the most concise definition is, "someone whose complete outward appearance, including facial hair, hair cut, and tattoos, is chosen for its ironic value."

Meaning, they look bad because they're trying to look bad. Heavy emphasis on vintage bad looks from the late seventies and mid eighties.

• Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    RE: Listening to music at loud volumes

I can't speak for everyone who does it, and I do think that listening to music in public and having others be able to hear it is a terrible thing to do, but there is a reason for listening to music at louder levels than what many people might consider normal. It has to do with the Fletcher-Munson curve, or, as Wikipedia tells me it's called nowadays: Equal-loudness contour

Essentially, as the volume of the music decreases, certain frequencies become less audible.

Stereo salesmen have known about this trick forever. If they're showing you a pair of stereos, they'll likely play the one with the bigger profit margin at a louder volume.

I wish I'd known that back in high school, when my parents asked me to turn down the music and instead I'd just turn it right off. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't just turn down the volume a bit, but to me, if I can't hear the details, there's no point in listening to it.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    RE: Listening to music at loud volumes

I can't speak for everyone who does it, and I do think that listening to music in public and having others be able to hear it is a terrible thing to do, but there is a reason for listening to music at louder levels than what many people might consider normal. It has to do with the Fletcher-Munson curve, or, as Wikipedia tells me it's called nowadays: Equal-loudness contour

Essentially, as the volume of the music decreases, certain frequencies become less audible.

Stereo salesmen have known about this trick forever. If they're showing you a pair of stereos, they'll likely play the one with the bigger profit margin at a louder volume.

I wish I'd known that back in high school, when my parents asked me to turn down the music and instead I'd just turn it right off. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't just turn down the volume a bit, but to me, if I can't hear the details, there's no point in listening to it.

That is really interesting. Does better equipment fix the problem, or do you need to listen to music loudly even with good headphones?

• Options
    Julius wrote:

Were you alive in the 90s? Or 80s?

People wear the dumbest things.

tumblr_ll91xkj1Ex1qetge4.jpg

I used to wear those all the time as a kid, but the style is pretty clearly attributable to break dancing, and then the adoption of that break dancing style by popular hip hop artists at the time like MC Hammer. This is the kind of explanation I am looking for for the modern styles I listed above.

I am making this up, but for example, I would like to know if the extreme matching thing started with hip hop artists getting bespoke shoes, shirts and hats, and then people started emulating that by buying hints that matched as closely as possible.

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I always wonder if people can hear the music outside the car when I turn the radio up. Saturns had good sound systems, so it's probably not as loud as I think.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I'm more intrigued by the decision to use such homely people as fashion models.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with