As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Costumes thread

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    What the fuck does Hawkeye put in his pouches anyway

Food? I guess maybe a snack bar in case he needs some energy during a long fight with Kang or whoever. Maos? I don't think he really needs them, the Quinjet has guidance systems and so on. Radio? He already has his Avengers communicard (or are the Avengers too cool for that any more).

From what I can tell a lot of the pouches on military webbing is used to store ammunition. And Hawkeye already has a quiver for that. So really, that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe the arrows are modular, so he can carry around a shitton of every type of arrow he needs int the form of heads without carrying that many arrows.

That's almost certainly it. Modular arrows have always kind of been his thing.

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Or it could be flashbang grenades or something.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Spider-Man_Unlimited_Vol_2_%C2%BD.jpg
    i love the spider-man unlimited costume

Antimatter on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Yeah, the web cape grew on me over time.

But a lot of the costumes in Unlimited were all right. Except the symbiotes, they were just way too skeletal.

I still haven't finished watching that series...

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Nate Bellegarde redesigns Cyclops:

jtjTX.jpg

While I think the visor's way too iconic to ever get rid of, I kinda love this design. I think it'd make a great alternate-universe Cyclops. Something about the giant eye/helmet just tickles me. It's the kind of thing that could either look really menacing, or really funny, depending on the context.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I've always been unsure of what the ruby visor Scott wears does to contain/dissipate the optic blast. Assuming his open eyes constantly pump out blast, does it just bounce around between his eyes and the visor? or does the visor store the energy or cancel it out?

Why not use the blast to power a big suit of power armor? Or route the blast so it can be emitted via a gun(s) or shoulder mounted cannon(s)? Costume/power options abound for Cyclops yet he gets stuck in one piece spandex allll the time. So boring. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to make ruby quartz lined power conduits (whatever techno babble) for a new badass suit.

So far his brown bomber jacket and hair flowing 90's costume is still my favorite.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Is the visor actual ruby? Like, the real precious stone? (I guess it is.) If there's something about ruby which is impervious to his optic blasts, the way Superman's x-ray vision doesn't penetrate lead, could you...imprison Cyclops in a giant ruby or something? Actually it wouldn't surprise me at all if some early villain actually tried that.

I remember reading a very old Legion of Superheroes which had belonged to my mom while at grandma's house once as a kid (first superhero comics I ever read), and some bad guy had imprisoned Karate Kid inside a huge diamond, and he had to find its one flawed weak point to chop his way out.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I think I could get behind the mono-eye Cyclops look more if the mask didn't cover his nose. It's a weird sticking point, but hey.

Other than that and maybe the X feeling like it could be better integrated, I do like the idea of that design.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote:
    Is the visor actual ruby? Like, the real precious stone? (I guess it is.) If there's something about ruby which is impervious to his optic blasts, the way Superman's x-ray vision doesn't penetrate lead, could you...imprison Cyclops in a giant ruby or something? Actually it wouldn't surprise me at all if some early villain actually tried that.

I remember reading a very old Legion of Superheroes which had belonged to my mom while at grandma's house once as a kid (first superhero comics I ever read), and some bad guy had imprisoned Karate Kid inside a huge diamond, and he had to find its one flawed weak point to chop his way out.

I think it is technically referred to as "ruby quartz." I think I read once it was a rare material, but when you have Reed Richards and Shi'ar tech hanging around...

• Options
    Why not use the blast to power a big suit of power armor? Or route the blast so it can be emitted via a gun(s) or shoulder mounted cannon(s)? Costume/power options abound for Cyclops yet he gets stuck in one piece spandex allll the time. So boring. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to make ruby quartz lined power conduits (whatever techno babble) for a new badass suit.

There was actually a fan theory way back in the Claremont days I believe, postulating that Cyclops should have been a lot more powerful. It was hinted that he was solar-powered, and would have basically been Superman, had it not been for the brain damage he incurred in a fall. But, as a result of that trauma, he was only left with uncontrollable eye lasers.

I always thought that was a neat idea. Dude should have been the mutant Jesus, but he got knocked on the head, and lost all that in an instant.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good Cyke redesign. Not 100% on board with the torso work, but it's tricky. I'm all too aware of how changing one little thing suddenly effects the whole. Pretty sure that nixing those racing stripes on Cyclops' love handles would unify the design, though. Maybe re-center/enlarge the X just a little.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Summers#Powers_and_abilities
    Cyclops' body is naturally immune to the beams' force. His mind projects a psionic field that envelops his body rendering it immune to his optic beam, allowing him to shut it off by simply closing his eyes.

Dang, who wrote this psionic field thing? That makes it sound like he has some sort of latent mind powers.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Cyclops has the worst goddamn powers

not the eye lasers, those are fine

but the dozens of ridiculous explanations of tiny unimportant shit with them

DUDE HAS EYE LASERS. LEAVE IT AT THAT

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Emma-Frost-Redesign-Cape-e1327285116586.png

I saw this on Project Rooftop today and thought I'd share. I feel like this is exactly the sort of thing Emma should wear (maybe lose the platforms). It shows off her curves without being ridiculous like most of the stuff she's worn.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Blank I agree with you generally but I really like the idea someone posted about him being Superman and the mutant jesus.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Blank I agree with you generally but I really like the idea someone posted about him being Superman and the mutant jesus.
    Yeah but that was a fan theory

I am talking about shit like that psionic field or his lasers from the lasers dimension

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Laser dimension is the dumbest thing, ever. I'm counting Ultimate Tonys brain matter body, and Superman's trek across the country.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    yeah the metabolizing sun energy to make his lasers makes a lot more sense than the laser dimension

what was even the point of inventing that explanation

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    somebody bet the writer 10 bucks that he couldn't fit the words laser dimension into a story.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    cable is already mutant jesus

he is the cyclops that could never be

also guns

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Wait so does that make Cyclopes like, the Father?

Cause I think that makes Wolverine the Mutant holy Spirit.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nah cyke is the joseph of this

he can build shelves

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    laser shelves

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Emma-Frost-Redesign-Cape-e1327285116586.png

I saw this on Project Rooftop today and thought I'd share. I feel like this is exactly the sort of thing Emma should wear (maybe lose the platforms). It shows off her curves without being ridiculous like most of the stuff she's worn.

That's really nice. But also it's kind of hilarious that my brain inserted skin in there because "welp, Emma Frost."

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    Frost is not someone you put clothes on. That's a terrible idea.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Yeah but that was a fan theory

I am talking about shit like that psionic field or his lasers from the lasers dimension

They aren't lasers

They are PUNCH BEAMS from the PUNCH DIMENSION

Also I too like the whole "Cyclops could have been the mutant Superman" thing

it would explain why he is less powerful then his brothers who are both pretty hardcore, Vulcan especially

Also that Emma Frost costume is really cool. It looks superhero-y, stylish and sexy.

Solar on
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:

I've never understood the inclination to explain superhero powers. Do we really need all the telekinetic explanations for Superman's powers? That said, I've always wanted to see a story written about the laser dimension.

Like, there's a laser family in there, living out their laser lives, when all of a sudden a portal opens up, sucks them into our dimension, and then flings them at a Sentinel.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Was that 'Laser dimension' explanation ever used in an actual story? The only place I've ever seen it was in the first ever Marvel Handbook series.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

I've never understood the inclination to explain superhero powers. Do we really need all the telekinetic explanations for Superman's powers? That said, I've always wanted to see a story written about the laser dimension.

Like, there's a laser family in there, living out their laser lives, when all of a sudden a portal opens up, sucks them into our dimension, and then flings them at a Sentinel.

Kieron Gillen needs to write this RIGHT. NOW.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Arivia wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

Kieron Gillen needs to write this RIGHT. NOW.

The laser people should celebrate the event like the people in Logan's Run celebrate carousel.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    so, I know this isn't costumes per se, but I'd like to talk about Hulks live action look

did he put on a little weight between his solo movie and the new Avengers movie?

I mean here he looks all sinewy and awesome
    Incredible_Hulk_2.jpg

and here he's looking like he ate a few too many gamma-twinkies by comparison
    movies_avengers_super_bowl_trailer_best_bits_9.jpg

or maybe they haven't done a final pass on the effects?

I remember a bunch of talk after the Norton movie about how the Ang Lee hulk looked to fat and all that jazz (I agreed, I much prefer the hulk in Norton's movie), but now they seem to have reneged?

Joolander on
  • Options
    I don't really see "fat" out of that Hulk

dude is still buff as hell, it is just less steroid veiny and more like compact muscle

plus they modeled the Hulk directly after Mark Ruffalo, he actually did mo-cap for the Hulk's scenes, and he is a little heftier than Norton or Bana

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I hadn't seen a still of Avenger's Hulk yet, and I'm impressed on how much that looks like Ruffallo hulk'd out.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    he looks very much bulky like 60's Hulk

I dig it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    a double post?

I mean, paint that still gray and you got a first appearance hulk sans frankenstein hair

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    triple post, eh?

I got nothing witty here

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Count me as one who is alright with a less vascular Hulk.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Seriously, he looked gross in the Norton movie. Like a living brussel sprout.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think both look cool. The new one is more bulky and like the classic Hulk from back in the day, the one from the Norton movie is a more sinewy hulk like you might see in a modern comic. The designs are different, but they both have their good points.

• Options
    The new movie Hulk reminds me of this post on muscular anatomy.