As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rhythm Heaven Fever] This game is okay, I suppose.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited January 2012 in Games and Technology
ilTaL.png
Out February 13th for Wii!

The Rhythm Heaven series is a, unsurprising, series of rhythm games from Nintendo. Like another series of games from Nintendo, it's a bit different from other music games, and features a weird/quirky range of scenarios. It's also known for being pretty hard and demanding a true sense rhythm in order to get perfect scores. The game is like an evil sorcerer regarding its musical nature, and won't shy from obfuscating the screen and forcing you to rely solely on musical cues. Especially in the harder stages. So you're probably screwed if you don't know what an "off-beat" is. But hey, it's the most fun you'll have failing miserably.

The series is developed by the same folks that worked on the Wario Ware series, and that translates in quick play sessions with very simple control schemes. It's a series that anyone can get into, and next month it'll be making its console debut on the Wii.

But first, a history lesson.

pX2LV.png
Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)
Released: August 3rd, 2006 (JP)
aCMIY.gif

The last game on the Game Boy Advance to be made by Nintendo, the first title in the series was highly anticipated but ultimately never released outside of Japan. Lacking any kind of UI to represent any kind of music, the game instead relied on visual cues in whatever odd event was going on, be it hitting baseballs into space or plucking hairs off an onion. The game was highly praised by critics and fans, and even on this very forum it's the number one GBA game to the point where people bought GBA Micros just to have a dedicated system for it. Being about six years old, the game is pretty rare now, and a cursory glance at eBay shows the first result going for nearly $100. With the virtual console on the 3DS now, there is small hope that an English version will get to us. If you do track down a copy, the GBA isn't region locked, and the game isn't too dependent on the language.

mliqk.png
Rhythm Heaven (NDS)
Released: July 31st, 2008 (JP); April 5, 2009 (NA); May 1st, 2009 (EU); June 4th, 2009 (AUS)
Dpy8q.jpg

I guess the fact that the sequel got green-lit for overseas is kinda surprising, especially in light of Elite Beat Agents not doing as well as hoped back in 2005. Not only did we get Rhythm Heaven, it was one of the flagship titles to debut alongside the DSi with a pretty heavy promotional push (it's well-known for a TV commercial featuring Beyonce). Besides the standard bump in sound and graphic quality that new hardware brings, the game also employed a "tap and flick" kind of control scheme using the DS touchpad. The game was played in the "book" style with the game playing entirely on the non-touch screen and the touch screen being totally blank. While getting solid reviews from player and critic alike, the game was not viewed as favorably as the original. Blame for this might be pinned on the touch controls, which have been stated as good but inherently less accurate than buttons. Nonetheless, it's one of the best games on the DS, and copies are still easy to find. The 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games, so give it a shot.

3j37E.jpg
Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii)
Released: July 21st, 2011 (JP), February 13th, 2012 (NA), TBA 2012 (EU)
YI24n.jpg

And so we come to the latest in the series. This is the first time the series will not be on a handheld, and yet it will be sold at a handheld price of just $29.99! The series will be returning to its roots (so to speak), and will eschew motion controls for a simple scheme using just A and/or B. Fever is also introducing multiplayer into the series, allowing two players to tackle a stage simultaneously and see who better kept the beat. You'll also be able to enjoy the game's simple art style in a clean widescreen, along with fancy features such as television speaker sound. Admittedly it's not turning the series on its head, but for thirty bucks it looks like a nice addition to the series. Not to mention enjoying the tradition of being one of the last games on the Wii from Nintendo.

This is the only English video of a full song I have seen thus far and, while well-done, its authenticity remains in question. So take it with a grain of salt, although it seems like the real deal. The practice segment ends around the three minute mark if you'd rather not watch the person fail the practice stuff a bunch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_et3ibrOg0

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLJwDYXFvI

I love this remix. Hope it's as catchy in English. The music enhances the gameplay so much. Building robots was never so funky.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    The series will be returning to its roots (so to speak), and will eschew motion controls for a simple scheme using just A and/or B.

Thank fuck. I thought Nintendo's mad dash to make everything contain motion (read: stupid) controls would taint this; in fact it seemed like such an imprecise input that I felt it would ruin the whole game.

I don't have my Wii anymore, but this and the new Kirby means I'll be playing at a friend's at some point

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Oh snap, it's only $29.99? I was interested in the game, but not at the normal Wii price. Now I definitely am.

I thought the DS game was great. I didn't have any problem with the controls being less accurate or anything. Just a bit of a learning curve on the harder games. But it felt so awesome to go from figuring out how the hell to do Lockstep, to being able to do it literally with my eyes closed. Though I'm sure having a pretty good sense of rhythm thanks to a musical background in high school helped a lot. :P

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I really need to get a Wii to play this.

My Secret Santa from 2010 got me the DS game, and I still play the shit out of it.

edited January 2012
    Oh God don't remind me. To this day I still haven't beaten Rhythm Heaven because of Remix 6. Space Soccer and Lockstep? Why don't you just put a gun against my head and pull the trigger?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Oh God don't remind me. To this day I still haven't beaten Rhythm Heaven because of Remix 6. Space Soccer and Lockstep? Why don't you just put a gun against my head and pull the trigger?

Lockstep is fucking eeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy.

By the way I'm considering this relevant to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsS-ZH38nTU

Also my favorite song from the game.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Beat everything, and I think I got medals on everything. Fuck perfects though. Give me infinite chances or fuck off.

If I am lacking a medal on anything, it's the second doo-wop.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    No announced date for Europe? That sucks. Will get it when it does come out, despite not being great at the DS one and terrible at music stuff in general.

Henroid wrote:
    Chen wrote:

Lockstep is fucking eeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy.

It took me forever to figure out just the demo.

Once it clicked though... Like I said. Literally eyes closed.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I don't believe you. No way you can beat Lockstep without voodoo magic. None. I won’t accept it.

V0Gug2h.png
    Chen wrote:
    I don't believe you. No way you can beat Lockstep without voodoo magic. None. I won’t accept it.

To put it simply, you're just changing from on-beat steps to off-beat steps, same tempo on each. One, two, three four, one, two, three, four, one two three fo-four, one two three etc

I'm with Chen on lockstep.

Even if I manage to do it right for a bit, I almost always mess up when it switches.

Y'know what song I hate? Doo-wop. The statue heads thing. Part 1 and 2. Fuck them BOTH.

edited January 2012
    I know how it works. My mind just can't wrap around off-beat patterns.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    Henroid wrote:
    Chen wrote:

To put it simply, you're just changing from on-beat steps to off-beat steps, same tempo on each. One, two, three four, one, two, three, four, one two three fo-four, one two three etc

Yeah, it was the switching that was screwing me up, with the added problem that I couldn't initially hear the verbal cues all that well. They're the real trick. "Hai hai hai hu-huh" and "Oompa oompa". Just gotta get the hang of them, and it's a total breeze.

I kinda think they got the songs backwards. They should have had Lockstep 2 as the first version you play. It's slower and so much easier. Then have the faster version as the hard mode.

Rorus Raz wrote:
    Beat everything, and I think I got medals on everything. Fuck perfects though. Give me infinite chances or fuck off.

If I am lacking a medal on anything, it's the second doo-wop.

I think I have medals on most everything, barring the later remixes (oh my god fuck 9 so much). I've been trying to get perfects whenever they show up. I hate choking on getting a perfect nailed, especially when it's a song I otherwise do really well at.

Chen wrote:
    I know how it works. My mind just can't wrap around off-beat patterns.

This is what fucks me up in the robot factory song (part 2).

The rock guitar concerts that unlock at the end are the best games ever and I will have fistycuffs over anyone who disagrees. Especially playing Space Soccer.

I just watched the wrestler video from the new game. I must have this.

Henroid wrote:

Were you tapping your finger along with the song, and laughing at the guy when he kept screwing up on the "Big guy" part?

...Uh, 'cuz I sure wasn't. That... that would just be crazy, heh heh heh... :rotate:

Henroid wrote:

Were you tapping your finger along with the song, and laughing at the guy when he kept screwing up on the "Big guy" part?

...Uh, 'cuz I sure wasn't. That... that would just be crazy, heh heh heh... :rotate:

wubbazubbazubba, is that true?
    hep

WHOA! You go big guy!
    hraw

AND POSE FOR THE FANS!
    GRAWWWWWWW

Ugh. I am doing my best not to just hit up Youtube and completely spoil every game. But this one game. This one beautiful game.

I urge you not to spoil yourself, but if you must...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IllEPP7k7oo

Karate man is back! Fuck yeah!!!

Game sold. Day 1 purchase for me baby.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    I really need to get a Wii to play this.

My Secret Santa from 2010 got me the DS game, and I still play the shit out of it.

:D

I have the Japanese versions of all three games. Unfortunately there's some kind of wireless interference issue at this house and I can barely play the Wii game, because inputs are randomly dropped. It only happens in this house (and it happens in every game), so it's not an issue with the game itself, but this is the only time it has posed a significant problem for gameplay. I still beat it, but medals are hard to get even when I do everything perfectly.

Multiplayer mode is amazing, by the way. By far the best multiplayer rhythm game, ever.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Wubudubudub, isszat true? God, so catchy. I've never played one of these things before, but now I kind of want to.

Also, THIS is the best Ringside interview:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IySZI0-NMdQ&feature=related

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD THAT IS INCREDIBLE

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA, oh god. I was wondering if there was some kind of fail-out mechanism, but I guess they just rate you for quality? I swear I'm going to try to find the most hilarious ways to screw up the actual timing for every game.

That poor reporter...

EDIT: More generally, I'm of the opinion that as many games as can bear it should make failure hilarious.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited January 2012
    You are graded at the end, and you simply can't move on if you don't rate high enough.

However, if it's like Rhythm Heaven, you can talk to the barista in the options menu after failing X times, and she will let you skip the stage.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    WOW! I have my preorder paid off and I can't wait.

Algertman on
    OH MY GOD THAT IS INCREDIBLE

HRAH-HROOO HRAH-HRAH HROOOOOOOOO!

I swear to god, the 2-player version of Ringside is the most fun you can have on the Wii. Especially if both players are really bad at it.

It depends on the game, but a lot of them didn't give a damn what you did in between. Like the pop idol one with the monkeys. All it cared is that you hit the proper marks. In between, I had my monkey just a hootin' and a hollerin'. Or better yet, have him clap along in a more complicated rhythm. Stare at me with your condescending eyes all you want you simians, you know my beat is 1000x more funky than your "I suppose" crap.

That TF2 version of the wrestler interview is amazing.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chen wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLJwDYXFvI

I love this remix. Hope it's as catchy in English. The music enhances the gameplay so much. Building robots was never so funky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OoMMLvJB9Q

Remix 3 sounds good anyway. (Skip to 1:25)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

In anticipation of RHF I pulled out RH for the DS...jesus christ Lockstep is ridiculously difficult.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    I feel like I've been missing out on not knowing that Rhythm Paradise edits were a thing.

I only discovered them because of this thread, Peewi.

I feel like filling this thread up with memes (even if tangentially related to the topic) isn't really the purpose of this thread.

One of two was fine, but let's not load this up with a 1,000 Wrestler edits or MLP edits.

YL9WnCY.png