As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Clive Barker's Undying!

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Games and Technology
Welcome to Let's Play Clive Barker's Undying
undyingcover.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I haven't done one of these in some time so due excuse the dodgy old layout. Fellow PA man SkutSkut has also done a thread for this, which can be found here

Having never done it before, and it being a decent horror game from yesteryear, I thought I would give this a go. As usual I havent played the game before so I dont know what to expect. Might be cool, might totally suck, one way to find out.

But I'm getting ahead of myself...

What is Clive Barker's Undying?

Clive Barker's Undying is a horror-themed first-person shooter video game. It was the last game developed by DreamWorks Interactive before becoming EA Los Angeles, and released in 2001 by Electronic Arts. Noted horror author Clive Barker was consulted in shaping the game's plot and background story and also provided the voice of Ambrose, a character in the game.[1]

Undying follows the adventures of 1920s Irish paranormal adventurer Patrick Galloway as he investigates the mysterious occult happenings at the estate of his friend Jeremiah Covenant.
(wiki)

I'll be releasing the videos in sets (as I record them basically). Please feel free to add hints tips suggestions/cool shit to try as they are posted.

Cheers, I hope you enjoy the videos!

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    If you fuck this up I'm disowning you.

• Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    Wow its been a while since you did your last Lets Play. Cant wait to see this one!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I could have sworn you played this game before. It's possible that I have just gone entirely crazy of course, which I'm more than willing to accept as an explanation.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Wow its been a while since you did your last Lets Play. Cant wait to see this one!

Actually, still did them just without posting due to work/massive lazyness
    Aegeri wrote:
    I could have sworn you played this game before. It's possible that I have just gone entirely crazy of course, which I'm more than willing to accept as an explanation.

Naa not meeee. Crazy is fun! Join ussssss

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Undying is one of my favorite story-heavy shooters. It did a lot of things well (like the Scrye mechanic... basically, Scrye everything for cool Easter Eggs). Some of the gameplay portions are a bit gimmicky (similar to other shooters at the time), but I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

The protagonist bears special mention, as it was changed by Clive Barker into a Irish World War I veteran-turned-occult-hunter, which is far better than the original plan:
    "Once Clive Barker was attached to the project his first and most notable change was with the games lead protagonist. DreamWorks' original lead character design was named Count Magnus Wolfram, who was bald, tattooed, possessed superhuman strength, and was heavily stylized in a “comic book hero” type fashion according to Barker. This original character design struck Barker as hard to relate to. Barker supposedly turned to the design team and said 'How many of you know a count?'. He then created the more realistic protagonist, Patrick Galloway. Barker's goal was to create an approachable lead role that players could easily assume. The character model for Magnus Wolfram was used in the game, however, as a shaman in the opening cutscene, the previous owner of the Gel'ziabar Stone. Patrick would later refer to him in passing as 'the shaman whose life I took', a reference to the way he replaced Wolfram as the protagonist."

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I don't know if I can relate to Patrick though. He only seems to have a 50% chance of being able to open any given door, regardless of whether he went through it already.

Anyway, amusing stuff so far. I wonder if you can upgrade the Scry ability, if it'll either last longer or cost less mana. That might be a better option than marginal goo improvements.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Feel the urge to try to open random doors while proclaiming that its jammed.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I think you mean JAHMED!

Good to see this thread. I was seriously missing these. I've seen this game played to completion in the past, but just cant remember much about it.

Also, I realized something. Ectoplasm. It's green. It's orbs, and it does shit damage. Helloween. You're LITERALLY shooting peas at them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote:
    I think you mean JAHMED!

Good to see this thread. I was seriously missing these. I've seen this game played to completion in the past, but just cant remember much about it.

Also, I realized something. Ectoplasm. It's green. It's orbs, and it does shit damage. Helloween. You're LITERALLY shooting peas at them.

Fuckin' peas, coming back to haunt me as always...

Set 3

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'll be watching this.You'll probably definitely do a much better job than I did :lol: . Glad you're finally getting around to playing it too.

Also add me on steam or something you turkey goose...bird w/e you're never on msn any more :P

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    Also, remember that the 'kill skeleton' spell can be used on living humans too...

• Options
    I don't know why, but one of my FAVORITE things in this game is how everyone pronounces " 'Lizbeth"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Getting pirates to commit suicide is hilariously disturbing.

Also try not to scythe down skeletons. I don't know if you're running a patched version or not but skeletons will reanimate even if they're cut into pieces, making them invincible death machines.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It always liked the part where you go into that old enemy's pocket dimension.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I used to have this game, it's awesome.

• Options
    Mr Bubbles wrote:
    Also, remember that the 'kill skeleton' spell can be used on living humans too...

Ooo sweet. Gunna zap me some dudes next time then.

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I know plenty of Counts. I even grew up with Chocula and the Sesame Street one.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    SkutSkut wrote:

Also try not to scythe down skeletons. I don't know if you're running a patched version or not but skeletons will reanimate even if they're cut into pieces, making them invincible death machines.

Most enemies, like the skeletons, have a trick to them to ensure their permanent destruction. Once you figure that out they aren't terrible difficult to deal with. IIRC, unless destroyed correctly they will continue to reanimate anyway.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote:
    SkutSkut wrote:

Most enemies, like the skeletons, have a trick to them to ensure their permanent destruction. Once you figure that out they aren't terrible difficult to deal with. IIRC, unless destroyed correctly they will continue to reanimate anyway.

So zapping them with the ice gun wont cut it huh? So what made that second skele bite it? Was that the spell?

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I fooking love this game and I fooking love that this thread exists

edited for Irish

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    Helloween wrote:
    Aegeri wrote:
    SkutSkut wrote:

So zapping them with the ice gun wont cut it huh? So what made that second skele bite it? Was that the spell?

If you want to know:
    Cast the animate dead or "Ressurect" spell (whatever it is called) on them. It instantly destroys them and they won't come back. Most enemies have a trick like this and IIRC the Ice Gun is effective against something else entirely.

• Options
    Why does ghost brother sound like a game show host?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ur so bad

i hate u

plees be not being so bad

thx ben LOL!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ur so bad

i hate u

plees be not being so bad

thx ben LOL!

Go away Luke, go back to feeding as Shaco baddie.

Yeah I saw thats what did it with the one skele, does it hit both together?

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Can you die in this game? If so, I will sue for false advertising.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Can you die in this game? If so, I will sue for false advertising.

If you die you instantly respawn, does that count? :P

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    omg ive been exposed to toxic levels of bad by ben

STOP IT BEN STOP IT OH GOD

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The last 10-15% of this game is going to destroy Ween.

• Options
    Also I was just watching his The Suffering LP. Ween, you really, really, really need to explore in games like this. I find it very difficult to watch when you don't explore and often miss items that are RIGHT THERE.

• Options
    Magus` wrote:
    Also I was just watching his The Suffering LP. Ween, you really, really, really need to explore in games like this. I find it very difficult to watch when you don't explore and often miss items that are RIGHT THERE.

Items are right there for normal people. I am genre blind D: I shall try though! Feel free to add tips :P

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    That's sort of his thing. Like missing all the scares in Fear because he was staring a wall texture.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2012
    To be fair, You kinda had to stare at them to see what they WERE anyway. They were kinda low rez.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Helloween wrote:
    Magus` wrote:

Items are right there for normal people. I am genre blind D: I shall try though! Feel free to add tips :P

Quicksave before you go through a door you think leads to another area - you'll probably get locked out. You only need ~16 or so of the 30+ amplifiers in the game (most spells don't need to be boosted, such as Scrye) but missing the Arcane Whorls (mana regen speed) and Mana Wells (max mana) can make parts of the game significantly harder.

Also try to save med packs as much as you can, as you'll be guzzling them like candy in the last part of the game due to rather shitty enemy design.

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    The section with the ghost priests had me laughing so hard

• Options
    Admittedly the game can be confusing at times - less so via being purposely cryptic and more on the lines of just poor design. The fact that you basically have to save all the time because you might accidentally leave an area (and the items in it) by just walking into a door and getting locked out is really stupid. I honestly feel no shame in using a guide for the Whorls/Mana Wells because not only are some of them hidden in very odd places, but if you come back to those places later in the game, they'll magically (heh) no longer be there!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Magus' always teaches me how terrible I am at these things anyway 'WEEN STOP MISSING EVERYTHING, STOP BEING AWFUL AGHHHHHH' :P

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    'Ween, don't you know anything? It's all about dem whorls.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I remember putting most of my points into ectoplasm when I played this. At that point they fire pretty straight, and it was my go-to weapon for much of the game.
    This could just mean that I missed out on something else being super-awesome, though.

Those ghost traps are useful for something. I don't remember what. I do remember thinking "Well that would have been good to know earlier!" when I finally figured it out. So you may wish to look into that.

• Options
    Zerocz wrote:
    I remember putting most of my points into ectoplasm when I played this. At that point they fire pretty straight, and it was my go-to weapon for much of the game.
    This could just mean that I missed out on something else being super-awesome, though.

Those ghost traps are useful for something. I don't remember what. I do remember thinking "Well that would have been good to know earlier!" when I finally figured it out. So you may wish to look into that.

I think I could have trapped aaron in one earlier. Which sucks seeing as you cant come back

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This was my favorite game of... whatever year it was, way back in the early bronze age.