As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeons and Dragons: Forgotten Realms Comic Starting In April

AriviaArivia I Like A ChallengeEarth-1Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Graphic Violence
IDW Publishing, in cooperation with Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., is pleased to announce the all-new DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS ongoing comic book series, hitting shelves in April. Legendary writer Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms RPG campaign setting, will be scripting the comic―his first-ever ongoing Dungeons & Dragons comic series―and offering one lucky reader a once-in-a-lifetime chance to have his or her own character appear in the series!

Telling the tale of two all-new adventurers who find themselves caught up in a kidnapping plot they never wanted a part of, this series offers a fresh new jumping-on point for new readers and fans. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS features art by Lee Ferguson (G.I. JOE: Snake Eyes), inks by renowned comic artist Sal Buscema (The Incredible Hulk), and covers by acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons artists Tyler Walpole and Steve Ellis.

“Forty-five years ago, as a young kid sitting alone in a study crammed with books, I started creating the Forgotten Realms world,” said Greenwood. “And, well, I’m still at it. The Realms is a vast, colorful, exciting sandbox full of stories waiting to be told.”

Readers will have the opportunity to play in that sandbox, thanks to the Forgotten Realms Character Creation Contest offered by IDW and Wizards of the Coast. Eligible readers will have the opportunity to submit their D&D® character and one lucky winner will see it come to life in the hands of the Forgotten Realms creator. Chosen by Wizards of the Coast, IDW, and Greenwood, the winner will see his or her character appear in a future issue of the series, subject to the contest rules.

Given the opportunity to have your own character appear amid the non-stop action of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS, Greenwood quipped ,“you know the old saying about being careful what you wish for? Well, it applies to wishing for adventure, too!” For more details, visit the official Dungeons & Dragons website.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS #1 ($3.99, 32 pages, full color) will be available in stores in April 2012. Diamond order code FEB120140.

I am so excited about this. Not because of the silly promotion, but because Ed Greenwood's writing it. It's going to be really cool to see what he focuses on out of all the wonderful work he's put into that setting. (And a kidnapping plot is a good start!)

huntresssig.jpg
Arivia on

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    D&D comic, eh? That puts it up against Order of the Stick. Hopefully it'll go the other way and not worry about breaking the "rules" or being "canon". You've either got to mock those openly or ignore them entirely.

I suppose I shouldn't surprised that they went for an established setting over 4e's implicit Points of Light one. That said, the 3e and 4e updates of the setting resulted in a whole lot of sandy vaginas. I wonder if they might roll it back a little to try and keep as large an audience as possible.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm going to get this, Forgotten Realms is one of my favourite DnD settings and I like fantasy comics anyway. Ed Greenwood as the writer could be hit or miss, but at least he knows the setting inside out!

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    D&D comic, eh? That puts it up against Order of the Stick. Hopefully it'll go the other way and not worry about breaking the "rules" or being "canon". You've either got to mock those openly or ignore them entirely.

I suppose I shouldn't surprised that they went for an established setting over 4e's implicit Points of Light one. That said, the 3e and 4e updates of the setting resulted in a whole lot of sandy vaginas. I wonder if they might roll it back a little to try and keep as large an audience as possible.

It's going to be canon - it's written by Ed. That's in the contract from way back when.
    Solar wrote:
    I'm going to get this, Forgotten Realms is one of my favourite DnD settings and I like fantasy comics anyway. Ed Greenwood as the writer could be hit or miss, but at least he knows the setting inside out!

One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta is an example of how I think Ed will be fine just focusing on action. That and his style certainly has enough life in the characters to fit word bubbles - although we probably shouldn't get digressions on the lives of chamberwomen - so unless he falls into George Perez's Superman problems, I think he'll be fine.

huntresssig.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Read Skullkickers instead

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    skullkickers will not have the Harpers, the Chondathan language, anything fun at alllll

(btw I made this thread because I am a fangirl for the FR like Anti is for Transformers)

huntresssig.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Skullkickers is the definition of fun in Webster's

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'd maybe read it if it were Eberron or Gamma World.

Antimatter wrote:

Read it anti

I am calling in my Transformers debt

I bought Last Stand of the Wreckers and Robots in Disguise now you have to buy anything I say

Be glad that it is not Tarot

Antimatter wrote:

this is me glaring at you like you glared at me

huntresssig.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:

That's like saying you'd read it if it was Eberron or Star Trek. If it was a Gamma World comic it wouldn't be D&D anymore.

Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

That's like saying you'd read it if it was Eberron or Star Trek. If it was a Gamma World comic it wouldn't be D&D anymore.

lies! it's Dark Sun with more flavor. there's adventuring parties and stuff and amazing artifacts and scary monsters. legion of gold even recommends combining the two.
    Solar wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

Read it anti

I bought Last Stand of the Wreckers and Robots in Disguise now you have to buy anything I say

you said you bought More Than Meets The Eye

can't even get the names right.

gamma world is not remotely as flavourful as the Realms

for one thing, there's no patterns of human migration or different series of coinage or anything

huntresssig.jpg
    That

Sounds dull

I mean no offense but I hate indepth serious fantasy

but it's awesome! there's dragons and secret organizations and and and

huntresssig.jpg
    Gamma world has those too!

Antimatter wrote:
    Gamma world has those too!

yes but they are not as cool.

there's not as much continuity to gamma world. not. as. cool.

huntresssig.jpg
    Oh lord if you think continuity = cool no wonder you like x-men

well, not really

I mean, I like some x-people but it's not the giant mass of continuity there that makes it awesome

in the Realms, it definitely is. so much fun wonderful detail.

huntresssig.jpg
    I just can't deal with straight fantasy

Tolkien and his ilk slay me

like let me give you an example! one really awesome supplement for FR is Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, because it nails down a bunch of details about where stuff comes from. Like how Elturel has its own famous type of cheese, or how Tashlutan wines are so flavourful. That kind of stuff.

huntresssig.jpg
    The Realms isn't high fantasy, that's the thing - it's swords and sorcery, far more people living by their wits, steel, and magic more than epic armies marching to war or whatever. It's about people, first and foremost, not some boring old timeline.

huntresssig.jpg
    Literally the only standard swords and sorcery I like is Conan

Else, I equate both types

Antimatter wrote:
    Literally the only standard swords and sorcery I like is Conan

Else, I equate both types

read the story I linked above

just do it

huntresssig.jpg
    That is some overwrought prose

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Greenwood writing this is great.

I forget, though. Is the current D&D ongoing still uh...ongoing? I didn't think it was cancelled. Having two more high profile fantasy books to add to things like Skullkickers is great. Nice to see other genres getting a chance in the market again.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    I like the current d&d ongoing from what I've seen, not enough to buy it though

I think it's ongoing but who cares it is not the FRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

huntresssig.jpg
    Antimatter wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

lies! it's Dark Sun with more flavor. there's adventuring parties and stuff and amazing artifacts and scary monsters. legion of gold even recommends combining the two.
    Solar wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

Read it anti

you said you bought More Than Meets The Eye

can't even get the names right.

I bought the funny one

It's several hundred miles away right now so I couldn't get it out and check it

Yes, mtmte

(traitor)

I have not read the other one but it does seem that mtmte is considered the better of the two online.

Gonna trade wait it anyway, I think. Maybe. I have a biiiiiiig list of trades to get.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    FR is pretty dull generic fantasy

which is funny because the vanilla DnD comic, which should be boring and generic, is really fun and inventive due to John Rogers being a great writer.

CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Man, I was a big Forgotten Realms fan, based almost entirely on the (admittedly pretty awful) writing of R.A. Salvatore.

But, his last few books really just murdered my love of that whole setting.

Of course, the Baldur's Gate game was pretty awesome, too. And the Avatar series of books. And the Erevis Cale trilogy.

Though come to think of it, my problem with all those stories was pretty much the same. They all eventually reach the point where the heroes are nigh-omnipotent, and everyone around them is basically useless, and doomed to die.

edited January 2012
    Blankzilla wrote:

which is funny because the vanilla DnD comic, which should be boring and generic, is really fun and inventive due to John Rogers being a great writer.
    Oh wait, there already is a comic using the default, implicit setting? That's much more exciting news.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    Though come to think of it, my problem with all those stories was pretty much the same. They all eventually reach the point where the heroes are nigh-omnipotent, and everyone around them is basically useless, and doomed to die.

It's funny because that's basically what happens to a normal group of characters in a game after it's gone on too long.

I always assumed they were just aiming for accuracy of the source material with that kind of thing.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

Oh wait, there already is a comic using the default, implicit setting? That's much more exciting news.
    Yeah it has been going for over a year now and is a blast

it is a really fun swashbuckling adventure that manages to both use classic archetypes and keep them fresh

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

Yeah it has been going for over a year now and is a blast

it is a really fun swashbuckling adventure that manages to both use classic archetypes and keep them fresh

I almost considered buying the first collection at Barnes and Noble
    it is really good

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I love the DnD generic setting comic ... we really need a better name for that. What's the trade called? Shadowsomethingorother?

I used to pick up the old DC FR and other DnD comics ... that was Rags Morales first DC assignment. Man, that guy's come a long way.

My problem with FR is that it just seems like EVERYONE is some major wizard. There's really no room for the knight/warrior barbarian type hero. I say this as a former FR fan who started off with the Moonshae Isles series. Now it just feels like they have more "Crisis" type reboots than DC over the last few years.

It's called Shadowplague

CYpGAPn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    yep