As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Character Designs

spudsspuds Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Artist's Corner
Long time lurker, long time ago poster.
I figured it time to spoof all the damn cop shows out there. I'm still working on all this (have been working on these designs for awhile), launch in a couple of months, I'll post progress and stuff as I go along. Enjoy.
2012-01-29-DICKBANNER.gif
Candy Beaver, Director of Ops
Candy.gif
"Bets" Forensic Scientist
bets3.gif
Guy Flaymour, Goon Trainer / House Mom, makes great muffins
guy.gif
Major Dick Powers, Field Director
dick.gif
"Gooch" IT nerd, code monkey, ladies man.
gooch-3.gif
"JJ", Jamal Johnson, Demolitions Expert, aka "The token black guy"
jj.gif

spuds on

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I like it. Clean style, consistent look. Good work.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Your suff has a lot of personality, I like it. The only thing a bit off is JJ's nose. There's a bit of a tangent there at the tip.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    These are really cool, clean and charismatic. I mistook Dick Powers' legs for clown shoes on the first one though, but maybe that's just me.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    m3nace wrote:
    These are really cool, clean and charismatic. I mistook Dick Powers' legs for clown shoes on the first one though, but maybe that's just me.

Once you see it, it cannot be unseen.

These are really fun! Can't wait to see them in action.

• Options
    you are right on that tangent. Thanks. I think if I put a white mark where the pants line would be on Major Dick, it could read better. Thanks for the feedback!

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    One thing to keep in mind, is that in that first piece you posted you should never cut someone off at the joints. Especially the knees.

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    Altough he DOES look pretty rad with no legs and clown shoes... Nice designs by the way. Hope you get your comic online asap.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    A little work in progress, no background, effects, etc...

bumb-slayer.gif

spuds on
  • Options
    A little sneak peek, comic #1
    1.1.png

• Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    One thing that caught me was in the first panel, the word bubbles didn't flow correctly for me. I read both of Candy's lines back to back, instead of reading it with Dick's line in between.
    The floating cigar amuses me.

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    Yeah I did the same thing, probably something worth looking into. Also I think you have a really good thing going here.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    The floating cigar amuses me.

I'm even more amused with all the ash he's getting in his coffee.
    @Spuds: those boobs... I get it that they're supposed to be huge and stylized but they don't look right on the second panel (her right one goes under her arm?!).

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the feedback.

yeah Mayday, they bother me too...couldn't figure it out... I have A TON of work to do on drawing girls...I think I know how to fix it.

Any suggestions on the word balloons? Maybe an example? I guess I could just detach it and move it down a notch.

The ashes into the coffee is a deliberate site gag. Glad you guys like it.

spuds on
  • Options
    Not that I want to get in the habit of fixing things and just want to plow forward, but for the 1st strip I reworked it.

1.11.png

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Generally, a reader's eye wanders left to right FIRST and only then (when there's nothing left) up to down. I have little experience with actually drawing comics, so I'd better not draw it myself, but I'd say you need to actually put Dick's bubble between Candy's bubbles (oh my!).

• Options
    hmm...I'll have to look around at different comics, see if I can find something. It has to be common.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Yeah, generally you read right to left and then down. Hell, you don't even have to look very far. Read some of the conversations in Penny Arcade.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Well, to start...bewbs don't start at the trapezius. They also don't "end" behind the armpit.

Honestly, if you just google "drawing breasts" and look at the result from donmai.us , that might help you a bit, because all of the errors listed there are things you're doing. (Even though it's anime-styled, the suggestions are still relevant).

Obviously the more you understand real anatomy, the better you'll be able to stylize anatomy in such a way that still looks correct. For the time being though, that reference should help you with the easiest-to-fix problems.

• Options
    well... my wife has a nice rack, time for some life study drawings. Thanks, the reference should help. Guess, I'll just have to spend a day drawing boobs.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Not a horrible assignment! :P

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Here's how I would set up the dialogue balloons in the first panel:

spuds.jpg

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    proper

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Major dick powers. I wonder what those powers are?

• Options
    good feedback on the balloons, thanks!

ninjai - :)

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Pushing along, quite a few strips done, here's one. Obviously, this is just art. I'm trying to keep the art between 1.5 and 2.5 hours. This pulled in at 2.5 hours.

1-4.gif

spuds on
  • Options
    A strip halfway into season 1. One of the running gags are the things JJ and Gooch talk about deep into the night while performing surveillance.

1-7.gif

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    artistically i think you are killing it (in fact the only thing that struck me as weird is the ear placement on a guy in the last panel)... the writing still seems weak, in this particular case bland... which im hoping is due to being delicate around the 'race' issue, but the two bubbles at the end repeat the same joke (minority overcoming diversity) and are interchangeable.

As an example (not particularly a better ending, but one i would find funnier. but my sense of humor is pretty awful) is to have gooch awkwardly drinking from his beverage and rather guiltily eying jj.

edit: i know this is how things work stylistically in these webcomics (PA/CtrlAltDel/etc), but mouth placement in the corner of the face always seems weird... structurally.. when the head is partially turned it works, but when looking directly at them (or close to it) it starts to weird me out. so panel 2 fine, panel 3 seems off-ish

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    I think that is some valid feedback.

Damn humor. Hmm, Gooch drinking and looking, just doesn't do it for me in the last panel, and it's not really in Gooch's personality to NOT comment on it, he's kind of a smart ass. I was finding it funny that to Gooch, he didn't relate JJ to the black kid, but yet the Chinese girl. I always thought it a funny esthetic that in text books as a kid, there is a black kid in a wheel chair, a blonde girl, a chinese girl in leg braces, a mexican girl with a lisp (not sure how that's illustrated, maybe that's a better punch). So, to me they really aren't interchangeable, they mean different things.

I think I can pump it up a bit, make the dialogue more sharp. I guess I'm trying to find that line between highly offensive (which I don't want to do for the sake of doing it) and PG-13.

As far as mouth placement, I know what you mean, I guess that's a style choice.

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    Diggin' the style. Makes me think of somewhere between Stephen Silver's Danny Phantom designs and a little bit of Dave the Barbarian. Keep it up!

• Options
    Launching my comic tomorrow, hope you guys come check it out. I appreciate the feedback!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    This is

Pretty Great!

It also looks like you're having fun making it, which is always the sign of a great comic.