As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomic Presentation Help

Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGERRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi there. Linespider again. I'm pushing the boat out and embarking on a curious project to see where it will take me. I've got a comic I'm making.

Thing is, beyond the concerns of the writing and the drawing and all that, I've come to realize I'm also gonna need a nice, elegant solution for displaying my work in an online setting that won't be clunky. Currently, I'm using Blogger, because I don't understand code and Wordpress, although it seems like a splendid beast, is beyond my understanding. I'm sure it's nice, but I mainly want to set parameters and drop in the work in an orderly fashion. Blogger will do that for now, but I realize at some point I'm going to want to have an index. The classic First, Back, Forward, Newest, Archive type arrangement.

Plus there's the whole bit of just wanting to show the comics and not the posting of them, the front end experience, if you will.

Any suggestions, or is there a good place to start looking? Digging so far has been a little nebulous.

Linespider5 on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure there are a variety of webcomic template sites out there that you can download/buy. Try googling for some.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    http://comicpress.org/ is one of the more popular webomic template things out there, don't think you'll need to know any actual coding, and theres tons of guides/helpful forums for getting it all setup

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm reposting this from a previous comic thread...

Regarding comicpress (and other options are also listed below)

Just a head's up, you'll have to rely entirely on the mercy of the internet, specifically youtube videos for support.

Tyler Martin, who developed Comicpress, no longer really supports it as he mostly does private web design now. There's a community forum @ comicpress.org but for the last two months it's been spam hacked and there's no expectation it will be fixed any time soon, so it's pretty much dead as of now.

Frumph (that's the guy's twitter handle) over at frumph.net took over support and dev of comicpress, and there's no forum on his site at this time either. He does respond on twitter but hasn't been online for a while so who knows.

There's another comic plugin for wordpress called webcomic + inkblot that seems to work well and still has community support.

Finally, there's a dude named brad who made a wordpress plugin called StripShow http://stripshow.monkeylaw.org/ that adds comic functionality to pretty much any theme, and I think he made a few base themes as well. He has a forum and checks it pretty regularly. I used to run stripshow on an older comic and he was very helpful. I kicked a few bucks his way through paypal and he basically redesigned my site for me in his spare time.

Good luck!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm somewhat amused that of all the work involved in making a comic, the actual putting the comics online bit is the most nebulous. Uploading a video to Youtube is easier than doing presentation of sequential art. Weird, innit.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Well, it's not difficult, I mean there's three plugins listed above that can have your comic online in less than 20 minutes, all the database work and stuff is done for you. I can't imagine how hard it was for guys like Mike and Jerry and Scott Kurtz back in 1998 when this kind of stuff didn't exist.

The problem is that there are now roughly 30 thousand webcomics online in some form or another, in varying levels up update schedule and/or hiatus, and the draw now is not only having a good comic, but having a good site. So you've got to either be good with your CSS and PHP or good and finding people who know how to code and build a site for your for the lowest possible amount of money you can afford.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Well, it IS all presentation when you get right down to it Well, more than half, easily. Thing is, I'm pretty happy just making this thing right now and I have no interest in hosting and paying for a site at this juncture. Maybe after I've got a deeper body of work it'll be time to step it up, but I figured, if I can do it simple and nice now, why not?

Guess I'll just keep at it for now, maybe this fall will be a good time to move to some kind of 'official site' arrangement.

• Options
    FrumphFrumph Registered User new member
    On a side note, I cleaned up the comicpress.org forums of all the spam - finally got the appropriate access to do it. Going to be releasing a new version here soon as WordPress updates to 3.4

- Phil (Frumph)

This discussion has been closed.