As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The first one was like that as well.

Well, it had a free trial. But you needed to pay the monthly fee to access any content past the intro stuff.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote:
    Glal wrote:
    Yeah, my last experience with Wakfu was "man, this is charming as hell. Okay, ran out of quests, what am I supposed to be doing in this game exactly? ...getting achievements? Really?".

It's the whole player driven economy/political system, and the tactical gameplay that attracts me to the game so much.

But it's not a free-to-play. It'll be $6/mo with a cash shop for costumes/all that jazz. So I'll stop talking about it here :)
    Do you have a source for this?

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Aumni wrote:
    Glal wrote:
    Yeah, my last experience with Wakfu was "man, this is charming as hell. Okay, ran out of quests, what am I supposed to be doing in this game exactly? ...getting achievements? Really?".

It's the whole player driven economy/political system, and the tactical gameplay that attracts me to the game so much.

But it's not a free-to-play. It'll be $6/mo with a cash shop for costumes/all that jazz. So I'll stop talking about it here :)
    Do you have a source for this?

I just scanned the forums, blogs and news section of the main site: they haven't said anything about pricing/f2p status that I can find. I'm also curious now.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    http://www.wakfu.com/na/forum/127-general-discussions/22205-open-beta-frequently-asked-questions

Q: Official Launch? So it won't stay free?

A: Yes and no. Some time in February 2012, we will end our public testing and launch the game.

Currently, we are in Open Beta testing.

WAKFU will make it's worldwide debut with premium content available for a small month subscription fee of $6 USD with an optional cosmetic microtransaction-based online store.

Though the wording makes it sound like it -can- be free if you don't want the premium content.

Edit: Here is the press release that does clarify that you can play for free, or with a subscription for more content:

Second press release: http://www.wakfu.com/na/mmorpg/community/news/281271-wakfu-launch-date-announcement

LOS ANGELES (October 28, 2011) — Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas and ANKAMA, an independent digital creation group and developer, today announced that their upcoming tactical massively multiplayer online role–playing game (MMORPG), WAKFU®, will be launching worldwide in February 2012. WAKFU will launch as a free download from the official site at www.wakfu.com/na and include with it a large amount of gameplay content to experience at no cost. In addition, a monthly subscription fee of $6.00 will give players access to premium content, and a microtransaction–based store will allow users to purchase cosmetic items.

"WAKFU's deep political and combat system combined with an ever–changing ecosystem delivers an exceptional MMORPG unlike any other product in its category," said Mona Hamilton, vice president of marketing for Square Enix. "The team at Ankama created a unique, fun and entertaining online game and we believe a monthly subscription fee and online store makes for a rewarding experience all players can enjoy."

With up to 14 distinct, completely customizable character classes to select from and a variety of missions and turn–based combat to engage in, WAKFU takes place in a vibrant and immersive anime art style world where players' choices are paramount and actions directly impact a continuously evolving ecosystem. Featuring a rich political system, players can defend their nation against enemy attacks, conquer new territories, vote, elect government officials and even run for governor!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Ah. So it's gonna be freemium. Okay. I can live with that.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Yea freemium like Dofus, glad to read my info was correct. :) Thanks Aumni.
    (I mostly keep an eye on Twitter and RSS of Massively's "free" tag, so if I can't rely on them, I'd have to maybe stop following some news sites or something)

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Yeah, my bad - misread the FAQ.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Dunno if there is a thread for DDO so I thought I'd just post the news in here instead:

http://www.ddo.com/underdark/
    Journey to the Forgotten Realms

Experience the classic fantasy and adventure of D&D's most imaginative and renowned setting. Arrive in the village of Eveningstar and adventure through the surrounding King's Forest wilderness area where the citizens of the nation of Cormyr must unite to face a new threat to the Realms.
    Brave the caverns of the Underdark

Come face to face with the Underdark Drow and Lolth, their Queen and goddess, as you explore this vast and twisted, subterranean world. Infiltrate the Drow stronghold of Sschindylryn - the city of portals - where Lolth's forces work to further her schemes.

Attain Epic levels to 25!

Forge your Epic Destiny and create a unique Epic hero with powerful character customization options as you advance beyond level 20 to epic level 25.

Play the Druid Class

Play as the all new shape-shifting Druid class! Wield nature's magic or transform into a powerful animal form with this classic D&D class

Their first pay-for expansion that seem to expand the scope of the game by quite a lot, and in addition to this they've announced that Update 13 will implement cosmetic pets, stables, and some free content.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/turbine-makes-biggest-announcement-since-free-to-play-for-dung/
    Let's start with DDO's upcoming sixth birthday. The date is February 22nd, and Turbine will be celebrating around that time with the launch of Update 13. Update 13 will bring a lot of exciting additions to the game, including a cosmetic pet system. Much like last year's crafting system introduction, the cosmetic pet system will be rolled out over time. As Fernando explained, "Those are things you'll see rolled out over time. We'll have a few options at first, and then we'll introduce a whole stable of different little pets that players can collect or try to earn or find. There will be a few different ways to get them. They're all really fun and cute DnD critters."

Pets aren't the only thing on Update 13's agenda, however. The update will bring a new adventure pack that opens the door to a new storyline. Best of all, it's free!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Dunno if there is a thread for DDO so I thought I'd just post the news in here instead:

http://www.ddo.com/underdark/
    Journey to the Forgotten Realms

Experience the classic fantasy and adventure of D&D's most imaginative and renowned setting. Arrive in the village of Eveningstar and adventure through the surrounding King's Forest wilderness area where the citizens of the nation of Cormyr must unite to face a new threat to the Realms.
    Brave the caverns of the Underdark

Come face to face with the Underdark Drow and Lolth, their Queen and goddess, as you explore this vast and twisted, subterranean world. Infiltrate the Drow stronghold of Sschindylryn - the city of portals - where Lolth's forces work to further her schemes.

Attain Epic levels to 25!

Forge your Epic Destiny and create a unique Epic hero with powerful character customization options as you advance beyond level 20 to epic level 25.

Play the Druid Class

Play as the all new shape-shifting Druid class! Wield nature's magic or transform into a powerful animal form with this classic D&D class

Their first pay-for expansion that seem to expand the scope of the game by quite a lot, and in addition to this they've announced that Update 13 will implement cosmetic pets, stables, and some free content.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/turbine-makes-biggest-announcement-since-free-to-play-for-dung/
    Let's start with DDO's upcoming sixth birthday. The date is February 22nd, and Turbine will be celebrating around that time with the launch of Update 13. Update 13 will bring a lot of exciting additions to the game, including a cosmetic pet system. Much like last year's crafting system introduction, the cosmetic pet system will be rolled out over time. As Fernando explained, "Those are things you'll see rolled out over time. We'll have a few options at first, and then we'll introduce a whole stable of different little pets that players can collect or try to earn or find. There will be a few different ways to get them. They're all really fun and cute DnD critters."

Pets aren't the only thing on Update 13's agenda, however. The update will bring a new adventure pack that opens the door to a new storyline. Best of all, it's free!

Oh holy shit. It's like all those things everyone has been asking for/waiting for for years all got released at once.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Fuck an FR expansion I might need to get this

Fuck Sschlyrndryn alone

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I believe there's a relatively active topic in SE++ about DDO. Otherwise, there's enough dudes there who play[ed] it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to enjoy DDO, as I don't have anyone to play it with. One of the letdowns of living in Western Europe and not having many nerd friends

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    This and LOTRO don't share their premium currency, correct?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al Baron wrote:
    This and LOTRO don't share their premium currency, correct?

Turbine Points you earn in LOTRO cannot be used in DDO, this includes monthly stipends. I'm not sure about regular store-bought points.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I've been fooling around with some SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online today and actually having a pretty good time.

It's a third person arena action/shooter with a few different types of pvp gametypes, and an assortment of pve missions as well.

You acquire new robots by spending points you earn ingame on a 'capsule' from a vending machine (like the ones you could get toys out of as a kid). The system does a good job of being very random, so as long as you don't have your heart set on a particular robot, it's not hard to get a decent stable. Case in point, on my second draw i got an A-rank bot that deals some wicked melee damage.

The different types of robots are broken into a 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' system. Literally, they have little hand icons next to the name so you can see which guys you should be attacking, and which ones are resistant to you.

It's surprisingly fair though, and even a C-rank dog bot can go up against a super S-rank ULTRAKILLERGUNDAM bot if you play well enough. The only really frustrating part is the special moves. Just like in the show, each robot get's it's own 'signature move' that you can pull off after sufficient charging. It locks both players in place, intangible, and you get to watch a little cutscene go down as your dude is violated by a screen full of projectiles.

Still, if you're interested in some quick action-cartoony fighting, I recommend checking it out.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    xyceresxyceres Registered User regular
    Avynte wrote:
    I've been fooling around with some SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online today and actually having a pretty good time.

It's a third person arena action/shooter with a few different types of pvp gametypes, and an assortment of pve missions as well.

You acquire new robots by spending points you earn ingame on a 'capsule' from a vending machine (like the ones you could get toys out of as a kid). The system does a good job of being very random, so as long as you don't have your heart set on a particular robot, it's not hard to get a decent stable. Case in point, on my second draw i got an A-rank bot that deals some wicked melee damage.

The different types of robots are broken into a 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' system. Literally, they have little hand icons next to the name so you can see which guys you should be attacking, and which ones are resistant to you.

It's surprisingly fair though, and even a C-rank dog bot can go up against a super S-rank ULTRAKILLERGUNDAM bot if you play well enough. The only really frustrating part is the special moves. Just like in the show, each robot get's it's own 'signature move' that you can pull off after sufficient charging. It locks both players in place, intangible, and you get to watch a little cutscene go down as your dude is violated by a screen full of projectiles.

Still, if you're interested in some quick action-cartoony fighting, I recommend checking it out.

I was interested but last I heard they have all Australia under an IP Block. So no Gundam capsule fighter for me.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    You Australians are worse off with games than Germans.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    SD Gundam struck me as the type of game where you'd never be able to get ahead without investing lots of real money in gear upgrades. I'm hoping we'll see a DW:Gundam Online some day.

• Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    SDGO felt really clunky to me during the beta, that and the voice acting was awful.
    I enjoyed Cosmic Break alot more even though its got alot of cash shop only parts/bots (You can buy 50 cash shop currency with in-game currency each month, it's not much but it helps.)

Adellios on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    so hey i dunno if this has been mentioned in here, i was thinking about trying it and seeing how it was and maybe making a thread

but Lineage II has gone F2P, according to it's website

surely i am not the only person who loved lineage II

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Surely you are.

Though it's better than Lineage 1. For the most part.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Please someone tell me the logic of having a maximum amount of password digits? It would make sense if it was 16 or 20 or something high, but 12? 10? Doesn't that just make it even easier for people to fuck with your account knowing there is a maximum amount?

Nexon and Gamersfirst are the prime assholes for doing this.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    Generally the only reason you have a maximum on the low end is if you're using a bad/known-to-be-weak crypto hash.

If you are ever asked to use a maximum of 8 characters, don't give them anything you like keeping private.

• Options
    I'm playing APB now, I see a lot of good role playing opportunities as I'm a cop.
    I'm going to name my group and clan Eradication of Repulsive Evil and Corruption Team.
    (Try to catch the Machinima reference.)

• Options
    Fandyien wrote:
    so hey i dunno if this has been mentioned in here, i was thinking about trying it and seeing how it was and maybe making a thread

but Lineage II has gone F2P, according to it's website

surely i am not the only person who loved lineage II

I went and tried it a while ago when it first went F2P and it was terribad. It's performance on modern hardware was awful and killed it for me.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote:
    I'm playing APB now, I see a lot of good role playing opportunities as I'm a cop.
    I'm going to name my group and clan Eradication of Repulsive Evil and Corruption Team.
    (Try to catch the Machinima reference.)

How is this game now? I tried it a while back and I liked the idea, but it didn't really click with me. Couldn't really figure it out.

• Options
    It's fun so far. But I know I'll probably be bored of it in 2-3 weeks. It seems to lack a lot of content, basically the game is just you waiting around in small open areas for crimes to start, then doing objectives.

I was hoping the city would be a lot bigger, there would be a territory control feature, drugs that enhance combat for criminals, bank robberies, and that arresting meant something.

Maybe I would like City RPG for ARMA. Honestly I just want someone to make a good version of Face of Mankind.

• Options
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/24/bigpoint-and-gpotato-join-forces-host-contest-to-celebrate/

OK, so that's Bigpoint gone. I think that makes gPotato the only remaining European publisher worth mentioning.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Giving Allods a spin again- haven't played it since open beta and I'm pleasantly surprised at the changes. Back then my biggest complaint (death penalty shenanigans aside) was just how long combat took. A normal mob would be a 30s fight and everything felt like it took forever. Maybe it's just my change from the Animus class to a Trickster, but I'm killing mobs left and right now, on par with other games of the genre.
    And Gibberlings are still amazing, more so now that I've come to realise their voice acting is Russian, which just makes their quips hilarious to listen to. Also, best AFK emote ever (they sit in a circle and start toasting and drinking from tankards half their size).

We'll see how long I last but it was nice to see some positive changes in place. I also rather like the chests-on-cooldown items. They give you two chests (that sit in your fluff inventory)- one of them gives you random fluff items and pots when used, the other an upgrade to your most obsolete item slot. The former then goes on an ever-longer cooldown while the latter increases in level requirements. It's a nice way to make sure the player's gear is covered, something EQ2 would need, really.

Glal on
  • Options
    I added http://st.koramgame.com/ and http://www.sevensoulsonline.com/ to the list.

To my shame I still haven't given the online version of this list any thought. It's on the list of things I can do once I come home with a burnout or when my job becomes less insane. Whichever comes first.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    The OG Everquest is going F2P in March.

That leaves Vanguard as SOE's only subscription game.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I wonder if it's because it would be too much of an investment to retool VG for F2P. After all, the game has had like 1 developer for years.

• Options
    Glal wrote:
    I wonder if it's because it would be too much of an investment to retool VG for F2P. After all, the game has had like 1 developer for years.
    It should be easy to nickel and dime Vanguard players. There's plenty of vessels and flying mounts you can charge for, put some complex classes up for 10$, player housing for 10$ and there are plenty of other features you could charge for. If we're following Turbine's believe that F2P should not mean that you put your main selling point behind cash purchases* SOE should leave the whole "bigass open world full of weird instances" thing alone and focus on everything but locking off areas.

So yea, make it happen, SOE!

*which is why the Epic Book Quests are always free.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    It's SOE, they'd pull an EQ2 and lock off high quality items from free players. You know, the sole reason you go into dungeons for. :(

Glal on
  • Options
    I've been playing some of the new F2P Blacklight. I like it so far. Its quite balanced. I logged in and even with the beginner items I came in 2nd overall in a Deathmatch game with just the basic assault rifle and such. All items seem to be able to be purchased with both real monies, as well as in game monies. Of course its easier to get them with real monies, but if you play a lot you can easily get stuff for free which is always a good sign. I also really have to reiterate how nice it is to see a game like this where if you pay real money you are not always going to come out on top in games.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Al Baron wrote:

Planetside?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    citizen059 wrote:
    Al Baron wrote:

Planetside?
    Wait, they killed the Reserve Program?

...oh, it was just a one year thing.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Al Baron wrote:
    citizen059 wrote:
    Al Baron wrote:

Planetside?
    Wait, they killed the Reserve Program?

...oh, it was just a one year thing.

Yeah, unfortunately. At the time it was fun even with the limited account.

Dunno what it'd be like now with what is likely the entire population at the level cap.

• Options
    With all the new content in DDO I really wanna get a new group together.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Having never played D&D, would I be lost in this game?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote:

Having never played D&D, would I be lost in this game?

Not particularly no.

This discussion has been closed.