As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    I will give anyone a dollar for each of their digital codes if they just want the print comics.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:
    I will give anyone a dollar for each of their digital codes if they just want the print comics.

if my bf doesn't want my codes, I was just going to give them to someone on here for free; only problem is I'll be picking up stuff once a month in the summer.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:

I would also be willing to give a dollar for digital codes (specifically Avengers vs X-Men).

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I forgot to mention this over the weekend, but you can download some Image Shadowline comics, DRM-free, from mydigitalcomics.com. Nick Spencer's Morning Glories and Kurtis Wiebe/Riley Rosmo's Greeb Wake are available for $1.99 each.

EDIT: Man, I always get Chris Roberson and Nick Spencer mixed up...

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So I finally caved and joined the digital comics thing

bought a bunch of stuff on Comixology

this is pretty great, you guys

I am probably gonna go full digital

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    A basic comiXology guide.

Monday - Marvel Monday Sale (99cent comics)
    Tuesday - Marvel back catalogue update (only on their app though, on actual comiXology released Wednesday), and their free comics for download change. comiXology also starts a three day sale for a non Big Two property
    Wednesday - New Releases/Back catalogue updates. All but DC new releases comes out somewhere between 10am EST - 11 am EST, with DC new releases out at 12 PM EST.
    Thursday - Marvel adds Collection (aka trades) to their app only
    Friday - Marvel Friday Sale (99 cent comics)

Now Marvel's apps actually use a different account, but you can email infoATcomixology.com and ask them to link your marvel account to the comixology one. (purchases done in the marvel apps will appear on your comixology account, though NOT the other way).

DC does sales whenever DC feels like pretty much (usually will be a weekend thing though). DC's app/account is exactly the same as Comixology's, it's only Marvel that has their separate thing.

Also side note: You don't need a tablet / portable device to read them on, all comics can be viewed online on comiXology.com

UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Question

I am fiddling around with the MyPullList thing and I see a fair amount of books that aren't on Comixology itself(Daredevil, Hulk, etc.) but are showing up on my Pull List for February. Does that mean they are going digital this month or is it just a dumb HEY THESE ARE COMING OUT BUT NOT ACTUALLY ON OUR WEBSITE thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    their pull list thing is a seperate off shoot thing, it's for print comics and has nothing to do with their digital offerings. Daredevil released issue 8 digitally and I will assume it's digital same day now (small chance it could have been ONLY for the ASM two parter), though upon further research it was only available on the marvel app (first time I've ever seen this hopefully it was some weird glitch thing), Hulk i would guesstimate it'll be same day digital starting with issue 50.

• Options
    I am trying to find well

anything

on the Marvel Chrome App and jack shit is coming up. I can't even find Defenders, which I know, is a digital title due to me already buying it on Comixology.

How can you get that thing to even work?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man, I don't know what that marvel chrome app is, such a weird selection of comics (no same day digital), So unfortunately I guess stuff exclusive to the marvel app applies ONLY to the android/iOS apps :( .

• Options
    That is so dumb

I don't have an iOS or Android device but I still want to give you money for comics Marvel

why you gotta be dumb

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    you can still buy 99% of marvel's offerings on comiXology's main site (just not the free stuff or the most up to date collections they offer). Sales happen on the comiXology main site as well!

UltimateInferno on

• Options
    Yeah I am just hoping that the series will overlap. Like I am hopeful that I can pick up Winter Soldier off Comixology on Wednesday.

I also see Avenging Spider-Man on the Chrome app for 1.99 on issues 2 and 3 but it is 3.99 on Comixology so I hope that the prices aren't that wildly different on most titles.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I know that they have said they intend to have the whole line up day and date in April so either way it probably won't be a problem for long

I am just super excited because dang this is pretty great.

The Guided View in particular is wonderful and gives a really good sense of pacing and dramatic weight to a lot of stuff. Jokes come across better too since my eyes tend to wander and read ahead in physical issues.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ComiXolgy in all my dealings has fantastic customer support so try sending them an email at that infoATcomixology.com and see if they can better answer.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Since 2008 I've had volumes 1-7 of Cable and Deadpool in trade, but didn't want to spend cash on the much more pricey 8th trade.

Comixology has solved this problem. The collection is complete.

• Options
    Comixology's 3 Day sale this week is on all the current issues of The Sixth Gun: http://www.comixology.com/Oni-s-The-Sixth-Gun-Half-Off-Sale/comics-collection/217

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:
    Comixology's 3 Day sale this week is on all the current issues of The Sixth Gun: http://www.comixology.com/Oni-s-The-Sixth-Gun-Half-Off-Sale/comics-collection/217

Damn I've been meaning to try that series out.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Reading stuff off of Marvel's website is pretty cool with the "unlimited thing" but by god is it getting frustrating when they're missing issues in the middle of a run. I'm okay with missing issues at the end of a run because then it's just like waiting for the next issue IRL, but good grief it gets ridiculous.

It's a four issue mini-series and you don't have issue #1 up. Awesome. :P

• Options
    Reading stuff off of Marvel's website is pretty cool with the "unlimited thing" but by god is it getting frustrating when they're missing issues in the middle of a run. I'm okay with missing issues at the end of a run because then it's just like waiting for the next issue IRL, but good grief it gets ridiculous.

It's a four issue mini-series and you don't have issue #1 up. Awesome. :P

Yeah, they're bad about some stuff, particularly the more recent and popular series. However, the do have a lot of full runs. I'm reading through The Initiative right now.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    So, uhh, Friday Marvel and Weekend DC sales are up.

And, weirdly, they're corresponding.

House of M and Flashpoint.

Allllllllllllll of Flashpoint

Edit: Including the Road to Flashpoint issues of the Flash.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    The main House of M story is still really good IMO as long as it's read in one sitting. Only read a few of the tie-ins though.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Honestly.

Flashpoint was pretty good too until it fell apart at the end. And it had some great minis as well, with Batman and Frankenstein being at the forefront, and a bunch of other stuff like Project Superman and Kid Flash being pretty neat. I liked the Road to Flashpoint issues a lot as well, probably more than I did the first Flash arc.

You dudes should pick up both the main minis if you haven't read either of them, and consider getting Batman as well. If you're loving Lemire's New 52 Frankenstein, then you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO read the Flashpoint version.

Unfortunately none of the House of M Tie-Ins are on sale, although the first 16ish issues of Ms. Marvel are.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    House of M was one of the first series I ever read.

I still enjoy it a lot

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Hmm, comiXology is having a 3 day sale on all Flashpoint titles including the main series. 99 cents for every issue.

• Options
    The Batman mini was worth it at 2.99 an issue, .99 is a steal

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    The Batman mini was worth it at 2.99 an issue, .99 is a steal

Yeah I was thinking about getting those.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Picked up a couple Thor titles because the art was gorgeous, bonus: written by Matt Fraction. I forgot he did some Thor.

With the seal broken, I went on to grab Nightwing #3-5 (have #1-2 already in paper form). Interested to see where the story goes after he ditches the circus.

Is an iphone/Android/whatever phone adequate for viewing digital comics? Or is it just annoying and tiny and get a tablet/laptop instead?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Too bad the Nova sale is only issues #1-18, which is exactly what I have in trade
    Here's hoping they'll do the other half next week?
    They only have up to #22 on comiXology so far

Going to get the GotG issues, though
    But it seems weird that the sale is 18 issues for Guardians as well, when according to wikipedia the War of Kings arc ends with #19

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Is an iphone/Android/whatever phone adequate for viewing digital comics? Or is it just annoying and tiny and get a tablet/laptop instead?

I wouldn't recommend it
    I tried reading on my android and it worked well with guided view on small panels, but spreads and other fancy panels were just bad

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote:

I wouldn't recommend it
    I tried reading on my android and it worked well with guided view on small panels, but spreads and other fancy panels were just bad

Hmm, good to know. Gracias.

• Options
    I'm still trying to decide whether I like the panel viewer mode in comiXology more than just double-clicking the pages and dragging them.

• Options
    KneonKneon Registered User regular
    I'm late to this party, but lemme chime in...

Maybe we're doin' it wrong, but we release traditional graphic novels and give the material away for free online.

That being said, I think a Netflix business model is preferable to an iTunes model for digital comics. $2 per 32-page digital download just seems expensive somehow when there are gobs of free webcomics out there (and illegal scans.)

And that being said, we still sell books at $12 a pop. Some people just really like print. Go figure.

steampunk 'n fantasy webcomic at http://www.shadowbinders.com
    Shadowbinders_Rhen_468.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Yay, Thanos Imperative newly added to Comixology this week. I'd like them to get the second arcs of Avengers and New Avengers up there some time this decade but this will hold me over.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Kneon wrote:
    I'm late to this party, but lemme chime in...

Maybe we're doin' it wrong, but we release traditional graphic novels and give the material away for free online.

That being said, I think a Netflix business model is preferable to an iTunes model for digital comics. $2 per 32-page digital download just seems expensive somehow when there are gobs of free webcomics out there (and illegal scans.)

And that being said, we still sell books at $12 a pop. Some people just really like print. Go figure.
    I really think the iTunes model works fine, the prices just need to go down a dollar or two. 1.99 for a day and date issue and then .99 for a month-old issue.

The thing about a free webcomic is that it isn't Marvel/DC/Image/Whatever. I'm not saying it is bad, as there are some phenomenal webcomics out there, but I would say most of the reader base for comics read because it involves characters they know and want to read about.

If there was a Spider-Man webcomic put out by Marvel that would be fantastic! But that doesn't mean they should be giving away their comics for free.

And piracy, like Munch has said in the past, doesn't really factor in. If people are going to download something illegally, they're going to do it no matter how cheap the book is. No reason to try and work around that.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Actually, I'm not so sure about that. Certainly, a lot of pirates will pirate no matter what, but convenience is a big part of it. I mean, in the gaming industry, Steam has made quite a lot of headway into Russia, a region publishers tend to avoid because of piracy. They've done this by making it easy to buy their products at reasonable prices. I see no reason the comic book industry can't do the same.

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    moved away from the lcs so i'm making my first foray into digital

i can't seem to find any new DC stuff on comiXology. does it just get DC stuff late?

• Options
    Should be on there now, but yeah DC doesnt allow their stuff out till 2 PM EST

• Options
    Too bad they don't have Secret Avengers #21.1 and #22 on comiX

• Options
    Turambar wrote:
    Too bad they don't have Secret Avengers #21.1 and #22 on comiX
    Yeah I am completely shocked by that

are they on Marvel's app? The not-Chrome apps?

I mean Marvel has said they are making every book day and date in April, why wouldn't you start Secret Avengers 2 months earlier with the new creative team and status quo?

CYpGAPn.png