As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I read RiD and MtMtE earlier, and I liked them both a lot but was super confused because I don't know anything at all about this comics universe.

Is the DW stuff canon? Just the IDW stuff? How many separate continuities are there?

Why are Mega and Galvatron different dudes?

What is a good starting point for all this, or just a few big stories I can hit working my way up to this stuff?

I kept getting confused because a lot of the bots look really similar, and I didn't remember most of them from the cartoons.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Death of Optimus Prime is THE start for the relaunch, the prior two relaunches tried to reboot and ignore everything that came before them and they were pretty terrible! All Hail Megatron's stories by Shane McCarthy are not good, nor are most of the stories by Mike Costa.

Dreamwave stuff isn't canon, just the IDW stuff, but the IDW stuff takes ideas from plenty of sources

there are more separate continuities than can be counted

Megatron and Galvatron are two different dudes because IDW's writers felt like making them two different dudes, and they were different dudes according to their toy bios. They made Goldbug an individual character as well, instead of being a Bumblebee upgrade.

The writers pick guys from all across Transformers canon, obscure and known both. your best resource for questions is http://tfwiki.net

if you really want to to go back through prior stories for some reason, you should look at this: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/IDW_Generation_1_continuity

Antimatter on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    RiD was interesting enough, robot politics beats fleshbag politics anyday. I'll at least follow the arc out.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    I read RiD and MtMtE earlier, and I liked them both a lot but was super confused because I don't know anything at all about this comics universe.

Is the DW stuff canon? Just the IDW stuff? How many separate continuities are there?

What is a good starting point for all this, or just a few big stories I can hit working my way up to this stuff?

I kept getting confused because a lot of the bots look really similar, and I didn't remember most of them from the cartoons.

Based on the current story arcs now is a good time to join in.
    Whatever you do - go and get a copy of "Last Stand of the Wreckers" Trade Paperback. It's almost a stand alone story and is incredible.

hyperpower on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Megaton is missing
    He and galvy are two different guys
    Bumblebee was leader on earth in the horrible 2009 ongoing

Prowl's been conniving since all hail megaton 15

Only good parts of the ongoing?

Swindle being Swindle and that conversation between Megatron and Prime on the ship.

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    Yeah, swindle was good, I'll even grant the ironhide mini being decent

Of course that convo was good, Roberts wrote it : p

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    yeah, Death of Optimus Prime is all you need to understand the series at most

if you really want to read the rest of IDW, http://tfwiki.net/wiki/IDW_Generation_1_continuity#Media
    approximate chronological order for their continuity. you're totally fine just reading DoOP, then RID and MTMTE.

Finally had a chance to go read the notes on the link you provided. This will definitely help me get into the whole IDW universe and enjoy it being another Transformers universe with its own rules and history. Now I understand when I read a preview somewhere and there was a Witwicky who hated the Autobots. I just figured it was some sort of, "I hate you for taking away my brother/father/uncle" sort of deal.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Yeah, swindle was good, I'll even grant the ironhide mini being decent

Of course that convo was good, Roberts wrote it : p

Drift mini was good too, but I dont count the minis as part of the ongoing.

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I didn't like the drift mini but I loved the gag at the circle of light's expense in DoOP

Antimatter on
  • Options
    so i actually finally got to read RID!
    oh shit Horri-Bull died

OH SHIT SKYWARP CAN TELEPORT

• Options
    I thought Skywarp could always teleport? At least that was his specialty in the original series.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Betsuni wrote:
    I thought Skywarp could always teleport? At least that was his specialty in the original series.
    There's a specific plot point I'm referring to from Death of Optimus Prime, the Inhibitor/Deterrence chips. In Robots In Disguise #1 Bumblebee killed Horri-Bull by activating his I/D chip, but Skywarp was supposed to have had his teleportation disabled by his I/D chip. This means that something is up, and the Decepticons are able to deactivate their chips through some unknown method, meaning that Horri-Bull was a sacrifice to keep their plans going.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Oh right right. You know, somehow when I read RiD it did not register as being that important. Forgot about DoOP and the I/D chips. Thought that concept was funny since it is a nice nod to the Marvel comics.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    hyperpower wrote:
    HadjiQuest wrote:

Based on the current story arcs now is a good time to join in.
    Whatever you do - go and get a copy of "Last Stand of the Wreckers" Trade Paperback. It's almost a stand alone story and is incredible.

Caveman: Me, do not buy any more comics this week, okay?
    Caveman: Okay.

*Caveman reads about Last Stand of the Wreckers trade*

Caveman: Whoops. I slipped, fell, and suddenly I now have that trade but am short $8. Stupid Comixology.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    muahahahhaaha

another person discovering the wonder of Nick Roche's art and James Roberts' writing

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Hrm, there is much talk of these Wreckers. I should probably look into them and their last stand...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I hear their penultimate stand is better

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Let me know when last stand of the dinobots comes out. I'll be there for the dialogue.

• Options
    More Than Meets the Eye #2 comes out next week

MTMTE #1 and RID #1 are getting a second printing because they've sold out!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    When do those second printings hit? I need MTMTE #1.

• Options
    next week!

• Options
    Good thing I didn't head off to my local comic shop this weekend to pick up RiD#1. Sort of bummed that I will end up getting a second print though, but I really want to get this one in a physical copy along with the digital I picked up. Or do they not do a "second print" indication inside like they did in the old days?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    pretty sure they'll be given new covers, like the first issue of Last Stand of the Wreckers got when it was reprinted

• Options
    Woo hoo, just got my weekly email from the comic shop. MTMTE #2 tomorrow. Hope I can get my hands on a #1 soon.

• Options
    Does RiD #2 come out soon as well? I read both over the weekend and I liked RiD a bit more right now.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    RiD #2 should be in two weeks

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I read a GI Joe and Transformers crossover comic once. It was pretty rad.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    the Devil's Due gi joe vs the transformers comics were the best

very playful and action packed

Antimatter on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Let me know when last stand of the dinobots comes out. I'll be there for the dialogue.

Not going to lie, the very idea of this made me go from six to midnight.

That said, Maximum Dinobots is pretty much that.

• Options
    MTMTE #2 was good. I like crotchety Ratchet.

• Options
    MTMTE #2 was awesome
    A Sparkeater's been mentioned before in Bullets, one of the stories in the Wreckers trade/hardcover. it's cool to continue to see Roberts build his canon up.

• Options
    huh

for everyone interested in the Last Stand of the Wreckers hardcover, and Robots in Disguise #2, both are coming out next week on the 22nd, according to Diamond

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    MTMTE #2 was awesome
    A Sparkeater's been mentioned before in Bullets, one of the stories in the Wreckers trade/hardcover. it's cool to continue to see Roberts build his canon up.

Such a good book, the humor is well done and doesn't detract from the story and the most important point: I had a Skids toy as a kid! :D

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

It would never work

for a story like that to work, every character has to be at risk of death

and Grimlock can't die, because Grimlock is King

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular

It would never work

for a story like that to work, every character has to be at risk of death

and Grimlock can't die, because Grimlock is King

Grimlock and the Dinobots versus Shockwave, Sixshot, the Predacons, Overlord, Black Shadow, and Monstructor.

and Ratbat.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Grimlock eats ratbat
    game over

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Crusadercons forever, reclaim the suffix.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Antimatter wrote:
    MTMTE #2 was awesome

Such a good book, the humor is well done and doesn't detract from the story and the most important point: I had a Skids toy as a kid! :D

:D
    i'm glad that Roberts hasn't forgotten that Skids was a theoretician, I was worried the little character he did have was just going to be completely overwritten by badassery
    but no, Roberts gives Skids both because he's a writing god :p

@TexiKen , yessssssss
    love Swerve

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Re: MTMTE #2
    I assume the "Nineteen eighty four" was a reference or easter egg to the debut year of the Transformers. Haven't read the first issue though, so feel free to correct me if it was explicitly stated there.

• Options
    Ceno wrote:
    Re: MTMTE #2
    I assume the "Nineteen eighty four" was a reference or easter egg to the debut year of the Transformers. Haven't read the first issue though, so feel free to correct me if it was explicitly stated there.
    That seems like a safe assumption, but it's a new plot point.