As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a Firefox extension to get rid of spiders

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My mom is deathly afraid of spiders. Like, can't even touch a picture of them.

So my question to you is -- is there a way to censor all spider-related words and tagged images from the web (heh) via an extension for Firefox (the browser she uses)? I realize that she probably should actually see a psychologist about this but in the meantime she gets nightmares whenever she accidentally happens upon them.

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If it turns out that another browser is better suited for this, then I'm sure she'll be open to switching.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Would a custom Adblock entry do this?

You could filter out *spider* for pics and URLs, but I'm not sure how it'd work on words.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I'm also not sure how it would work on images, either. Not every picture of a spider is going to have the word "spider" in the file name.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It doesn't really need to be perfect, just help lessen the presence of spiders on the internet. I figured it would be something that already exists but probably not?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder what sites she goes to where spiders might be a thing that 'happens'.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It'd be easier to make her less uncomfortable around the image of a spider, if not spiders themselves.

I guess you could do some kind of filter for "spider," but a lot of images and videos won't even mention the word. You might get species names or just a random string of numbers.

My assumption is that she is doing something that frequently brings up spiders. Have you seen what her browsing habits are? Maybe you could find alternatives that are less likely to bring up spiders?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I randomly saw an image of a spider on the Internet.

Now I'm thinking of a flash ad where a spider drops down a web line in front of your active tab, and you have to click the little X beside him. That would be pretty terrifying.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Everybody she knows is well aware of her hatred for spiders, and so they sometimes misdirect her to places where she will be confronted by the things as a joke

The thing is, it's not funny but it happens often enough that she's started losing friends, so it'd be nice to just make it not work anymore

Also it's basically a peace of mind thing

But if it's not feasible then I have my answer

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    You could try blocking all images, but that might make browsing totally broken.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If I had friends that would give me nightmares as a joke I think I'd be happy to have one crappy night as the price I have to pay for knowing that I should get rid of the friend. Assuming that your mom doesn't want to keep hemorrhaging shitty friends, though:

The easiest way I can think of doing this is to browse the web with images turned off (in Opera it's the "View" menu, select "Images," and turn them off) and just switch it on once it's apparent that the page in question isn't SPIDERDOTCOM.org or something.

TychoCelchuuu on