As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Seriously. I can't imagine the people who play with their DPI maxxed up to like 5600+. With it set that high, I would think your heartbeat would be causing your cursor to jump all overthr place.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Seriously. I can't imagine the people who play with their DPI maxxed up to like 5600+. With it set that high, I would think your heartbeat would be causing your cursor to jump all overthr place.
    Not really, though 5600 is way too high.

I set the game options so it's not increasing (or decreasing) mouse speed, and then use a higher mouse DPI. If you're using a higher than neutral setting for your mouse sensitivity through the game's settings then it will definitely be jumpy as all hell.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    intellimouse explorer 3.0 is still the best mouse ever made

corio2.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular

And I just happen to be playing Amnesia! D:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote:

And I just happen to be playing Amnesia! D:

I know. You poor, poor fool.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Well now that Amnesia's over, I tried being a Sniper in TF2.

So many headshots. So many.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    intellimouse explorer 3.0 is still the best mouse ever made

NO U

wait

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    This might be blasphemy, but I've been using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for about forever, and can't really imagine anything else. It's fast, responsive and comfy - the biggest problem is if you're a lefty.

I just use the plain jane Microsoft basic wired optical mouse, and it works fine for gaming for me. Of course, I have to order them from the Microsoft store, because none of the 7 or 8 stores in my area that carry computer accessories have them. Hell, just finding a wired mouse in the sea of wireless mice is hard enough.

Metallikat wrote:
    This might be blasphemy, but I've been using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for about forever, and can't really imagine anything else. It's fast, responsive and comfy - the biggest problem is if you're a lefty.

I just use the plain jane Microsoft basic wired optical mouse, and it works fine for gaming for me. Of course, I have to order them from the Microsoft store, because none of the 7 or 8 stores in my area that carry computer accessories have them. Hell, just finding a wired mouse in the sea of wireless mice is hard enough.

Best Buy carries them in store in a silly "Classics" packaging.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I got the Logitech G700 a while ago and cannot recommend this to anyone.

It can't track at all now, it originally was just skipping around (as it seems to do looking at people's problems online with it) but now it won't even move. I've set it on several different types of surfaces and nothing will work. The battery dies quickly, the cord it comes with to charge the AA battery (why not a Lithium based one?) is bulky.

When I called Logitech the first time about the tracking problems they said that the new software, SetPoint 6.30, was causing problems so I had to downgrade my software so my $100ish mouse would work.

This has just been a huge headache and didn't start doing this until after newegg's policy was up so now I have to deal strictly with Logitech. I doubt that I can but I'm going to probably get really ticked at the tech service people and see if I can either get a refund or something. I would love if I could just have them send me a G500 or MX518 or something like that and refund the difference. Fat chance of that though.

Conversely, I haven't had a single problem with my G700. Actually, make that 2 G700s, since I purchased one for my work PC as well. Both work like a charm. I use the one at work for AutoCAD and Excel work mostly, and the one at home is used for gaming. It does eat the battery though. I bought a quickcharger pretty much just for this mouse (it also comes in handy for xbox controllers too). Like all things tech though, ymmv.

Still mad at Logitech for discontinuing the MX Revolution though.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Are there any opinions on the MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 vs MS SideWinder X3?

The IntelliMouse is optical and the SideWinder is laser. No idea what their pros and cons are.

They're both 5 button, but the IntelliMouse has both of the extras on the thumb side and the SideWinder has one on each side. I think I like the IntelliMouse placement better since I'm a righty, but the SideWinder also has 3 on-the-fly dpi adjustment buttons.

The IntelliMouse seems thinner, which I think would be better for me since I use a claw grip (although the SideWinder doesn't seem like it would be exceedingly fat like the Logitech seem to be).

And what's the deal with the IntelliMouse 4.0 being half the price as the 3.0?

TheCanMan on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Campy casts raise thread.

MOUSE BUYING TIME. Does Microsoft's IntelliMouse really compete with the various "gaming" mice out there? I'm basically looking for something that is accurate </obvious> and has a couple of buttons down the side. I've heard good things about the Deathadder and I reckon that's at about the price range I was hoping for. Anyone have any input? thaaaaaaaanks!

• punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I've had a Razer Deathadder and the Kabuto mouse mat for about a month and I've been pleased with both. The Deathadder was on sale at Fry's for $30 at the time, so I snagged it cheaper than it normally retails - $50-60.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    I just bought myself a Deathadder for use with my Macbook. I like the Magic Mouse, but the touch scrolling just doesn't work well for applications (and games) not optimized for it. Trying to scroll around in Photoshop, inDesign, or Illustrator with the Magic Mouse is beyond irritating. And of course my old Imperator refuses to work with the terrible, bare-bones Mac driver they slapped together for it.

The Deathadder is very nice. A bit simpler than the Imperator (two fewer buttons), but still hella comfortable, and comes with a really good driver. Only 40 bucks too! It really strikes me as a great "workhorse" gaming mouse, much like the old Intellimouse Explorer or the Logitech MX518. Simple, comfortable, responsive, and reliable.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Campy wrote:
    Campy casts raise thread.

MOUSE BUYING TIME. Does Microsoft's IntelliMouse really compete with the various "gaming" mice out there? I'm basically looking for something that is accurate </obvious> and has a couple of buttons down the side. I've heard good things about the Deathadder and I reckon that's at about the price range I was hoping for. Anyone have any input? thaaaaaaaanks!

No ability to speak for the current IntelliMouse, other than to say that it leans more towards the palm driven mouse design. The razer DeathAdder is an excellent choice if you're more prone to using your fingers to guide the mouse.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm tired of my scroll wheel not working. It's time for a new mouse.

I saw one shout-out for the Roccat Kone+, which I was looking at, but I hate that I have to buy a mouse without trying it out first.

I sit between a claw and palm grip, bottom of my palm is typically resting on the mouse pad while my fingers do the heavy lifting; a lighter mouse tends to work best for me. Don't need gigantic numbers of programmable buttons; 2 on the thumb is usually all I can keep track of (and one is almost always set to PTT in Vent; in my experience, Logitech tends to hard-code these buttons to next/previous page in browsers, which is irritating).

I refuse to buy Razer, period, due to horrible experiences with their products, software and customer service. Let's just say that I'm reasonably certain I'm the reason they expanded their phone support hours and hired a Director of Customer Service.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I like my mouse. It goes up to 3600DPI, but I use it on the second setting. It's fast enough to be convenient but slow enough to be accurate. It, and my new videocard has been making me a lot better at DOD:S

The Cyborg R.A.T.'s are pretty adjustable. They look ridiculous, but I think they're pretty comfortable. All the buttons are easy to reach and the wheel feels really nice.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'll just plug the Mamba again, which is hands down the best mouse I've ever used. It's really not even a contest. Yes better than the MX518, and yes certainly better than an IntelliMouse Explorer (both of which I've owned).

If you want the Mamba with out all the gizmos (wireless and all that), get a Lachesis. Same mouse shell, just without all the expensive technology.

I'm currently using the Mamba, with a Razer Vespula hard shell mouse pad and a Razer Mouse Bungee for when I have the Mamba plugged in, and I love the whole setup. Incredibly smooth and accurate, and the wrist pad on the Vespula saves my wrist from long StarCraft 2 sessions.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited January 2012
    Ok, my Razer Story:

A few years back, my old Logitech Optical Blue and Grey Thing was on the fritz, after many years of faithful service. It was old and tired, and I hold no grudge against it. A shrine may still be erected to it somewhere in the Cascades. Anyway, I was in the market, so I did some research, and stumbled across the Frost Blue Razer Diamondback 3G, and I was in love. Sexy, flashy, highly recommended, she had it all. So, I ordered her straight away from Razer directly, and in 3-5 business days, my mail-order bride was on my doorstep.

I wasted no time removing her ever-so-lovingly from her plastic and cardboard chariot, gingerly hooked her up, and installed her software. So smooth! So precise! DPI changes on the fly! It was incredible, I tell you. Incredible.

Spent, I stood up, and my wife quickly moved to take over the computer we share, and with a quick Win+L, Windows XP's Fast User Switching had her logged into to her desktop profile. After a moment, she called out to me.

"Houn," she said, "Why doesn't the mouse wheel work?"

I was perplexed. I'd had no issues during my session. What was going on? I walked over, and sure enough, the scroll wheel, it did nothing. I switched back over to my session, also no scrolling. What the hell? I switched back to my wife's desktop, and the scroll wheel was working again.

After much experimentation, I determined that the mouse had about a 50% chance of the scroll wheel and any buttons beyond 1 and 2 working after each Fast User Switch. So, I checked Razer, and I had the latest (only) driver release. So, I called up their support.

"Huh, I dunno, man, I don't think we ever tested that with Fast User Switching. Let me do some tests and get back to you."

A week goes by with no word. I e-mail the rep, I get a "sorry, still working on it". The e-mail tag continues for a few days, until I get irritated and call in again. They tell me that it doesn't seem to work, but they're probably not going to fix it. Well, that's fine, I probably want my money back. Now. Well, let me get you to a manager.

A manager that did everything in his power to talk me out of it, but with no intention to fix the software issue, I had no intention to keep the mouse. Eventually, he approved an RMA, though I would be out the cost of shipping, and they'd credit the cost of the mouse back to my account upon receipt. Ok, fine.

Boxed that whore back up, shipped her back like the skank she was.

A week goes by. You receive it yet? No? Ok.
    Two.
    Three. USPS finally updates the tracking on the package; they've signed for it a few days ago. Call up, "Where's my money?" "Oh, you didn't get that yet? I'm so so sorry!"

*TRANSFER*

"Hi, I'm the newly hired VP/Director/Whatever of Customer Service, I'm so so sorry, let me go ahead and get that money back to you right now."

Thanks, I say.

A few hours later, I get an e-mail confirming the funds had been returned to me... via Paypal. Who took $5 off the top to process the transaction. Now, I'd paid with a Credit Card, so why they couldn't give it back the same way? Call up, "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I'll take care of that, and I'm putting together a special apology gift for you!"

I told her it wasn't necessary, but thanked her anyway. Went out and bought an MX Revolution; not the best gaming mouse, but cool. Forgot all about Razer.

A few weeks later, I get a package in the mail from them.

It's a free Diamondback.

*facepalm*

And that, dear reader, is why I will never touch another Razer product for as long as I live, and in fact will vehemently caution everyone I know to never hand them any money, ever. I make it a point to glare angrily at their booth every PAX, then shake my head in disgust at their poor, bewildered staff.

Houn on
    So...you had an issue with an already archaic and buggy feature in Windows XP (fast user switching was ALWAYS an issue in XP, it did all kinds of terrible things), Razer wasn't going to be able to fix it fast enough for your liking, so you got a refund...and now because of this you swear everyone away from a really quality mouse maker?

Overreact much? It may have taken them some time, but you got your money back, and a free mouse. I am completely confused as to how this has turned you in to an anti-Razer person.

I guess at this point, I leave it up to the reader. Assume that the gobs and gobs of us that have Razer mice we are very happy with are correct, or assume that Houn who couldn't get an obscure driver feature he wanted right now and got his money back anyway in the long run, but still somehow hates Razer because you know, fuck them, is correct.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Actually, the bug still exists to this day, and I'm running Windows Vista 64bit. Dunno about Win7. And my reaction was to the shit customer service; a "hey, let me log that as a bug" goes a lot farther than "lol we're not going to fix that". As for quality, yup. BTW, that free mouse they sent me? I'm using it right now (my Revolution MX eventually suffered the battery death they all do), and the mouse wheel has a "skip" in it where it will scroll the opposite direction for one tick out of every 8 or 9 (assuming I have scroll wheel at all, which at this exact moment, I don't). This is due to the scroll wheel mechanism slipping at a certain point in the rotation where the plastic doesn't catch properly. I was able to temporarily fix it by supergluing the part together, rather than relying on friction, but it eventually broke free again. This is a defect that has been present out of box, not from wear and tear.

Also, how exactly is Fast User Switching "Archaic" when it's a feature in current Windows versions still?

So, yeah, Houn's mad about Razer. I'm still affected by bum software (the page says Driver Version 1.01 was last updated in 2011, but that's the same software version I was running years ago, and am running now), and bum hardware. So no, I will never buy any of their products again.

Yes, anecdotal, your Razer product is probably perfect, etc, but I can forgive a good deal of problems if a company is going to stand by their product and attempt to make it right. Working in Customer Service myself for years, and being damn good at it, I have little patience for bad service.

edited January 2012
    Well, we all have our issues I guess. You got your money back, and a free mouse, and ended up getting a different mouse you like...so pardon me if I think your "Death to Razer! Razer sucks, never use them!" stance is of the silliest goose variety.

e: Also, I don't understand how your're not losing your mind over the MX Revolution battery issue, which was a known design flaw when they released it, forcing them to make an MX Revolution refresh, which all existing MX Revolution customers had to buy if they wanted a non-shit battery...that is an order of magnitude shittier on a customer service scale than what Razer did to you, yet I don't see you posting gobs of anti-Logitech crap.

The reason I own my Razer Mamba is that my Revolution died that death, and I refused to buy the refresh because I felt I had already paid for the mouse once, why should I have to buy it again to get a correctly designed version? That said, I didn't swear of Logitech products, and I don't go around telling others not to buy them.

GnomeTank on
    Well, the MX worked out of the box, for one. It wasn't perfect, but I got a good year+ out of it before the battery issue, and when it died, I lost some respect for Logitech, sure, but mostly I learned why not to buy a wireless mouse.

Also, I got MOST of my money back (minus the shipping back), and free mouse of the same model that has the issues that caused me to return it in the first place. I mean, really? Really?

The only reason I'm using it at all is because money was too tight to look into a new one at the time. And now I'm in this thread looking, but don't want to get burned again.

Well, you're stuck with two options if you want a high grade mouse and refuse to touch Razer...Logitech and Steelseries.

GnomeTank wrote:
    Well, you're stuck with two options if you want a high grade mouse and refuse to touch Razer...Logitech and Steelseries.

Don't underestimate the RATs. TheCanMan seems to like his 7, and my 9 is a great little mouse. Amazing scroll wheels, lots of adjustability.

Also, Corsair's new Vengeance mice are awfully nice. Great build quality, nice shape, nice features. They have that heavy, chunky scroll wheel like the Cyborgs that I love. The drivers needed a bit longer in the oven, but they get the job done.

Still, My Mamba and Naga Epic are my top mice any day of the week. Despite any anecdotes about Razer, I've had very few issues with their products myself, and aside from some of them being a bit overpriced or ridiculous, they put out quality stuff that feels great to use.

Oh yeah, forgot RAT...and wasn't aware Corsair made mice.

I still think Logitech, Razer and Steelseries are the "big three" for gaming mice right now...and I agree with you, I think the Mamba is one of the best mice ever made. Love it, would recommend it to anyone.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Don't underestimate the RATs. TheCanMan seems to like his 7, and my 9 is a great little mouse. Amazing scroll wheels, lots of adjustability.
    The RAT 7 and 9 use the same sensor that Razer's laser mice use, and suffer from the same flaws (the most infamous is the z-axis liftoff problem, and it exists in all of Razer's laser mice). Example.

If they went with one of the Avago 9500 sensors like Logitech uses in the G9x/G500 and SteelSeries does in the Xai, I'd have probably picked up a RAT despite how ridiculous it looks.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    I've never once had a Z-lift off issue with my Mamba. I guess if you use huge wide sweeping arcs and have to pick your mouse up a lot, this is an issue for you?

If you have you're sensitives set correctly, you should never need to lift the mouse.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    I've never once had a Z-lift off issue with my Mamba. I guess if you use huge wide sweeping arcs and have to pick your mouse up a lot, this is an issue for you?

If you have you're sensitives set correctly, you should never need to lift the mouse.

So basically what I've read here, is everyone is wrong for having personal opinions about the mouse you like?

50433.png?1708759015
    Banzai5150 wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:

So basically what I've read here, is everyone is wrong for having personal opinions about the mouse you like?

No one is wrong about anything, but while we're on the anecdote train, like Houn's wall of text about why Razer is crap and you should never buy them, why am I not allowed to have counter anecdote that no, I've never had a z-lift off issue with my Mamba.

Or are we only allowed to post negative anecdote here? I guess if I posted a wall of text about why I hate Logitech, that would be cool?

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Never mind, not worth it, I'm in a pissy mood so I'm dropping it. Sorry for lashing out.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
    Different things work for different people. I have a huge mousepad and use a high sensitivity, so I rarely ever have to lift my mouse. This nullifies any lift-off issues with Razer/Cyborg's sensors for me. Also, I hate Logitech's scroll wheels, and the feel of the side buttons on my G700. I also hate the "lip" around the LMB and RMB on it. Who thought that was a good idea?

On the flip side, I wouldn't be bothered by anyone who felt the opposite of my on any of those mice, and I recognize that they're all very good at different things. Maybe some people like Logitech's scroll wheels, and their muddy-feeling side buttons. I'm not one to judge.

But seriously. Those side buttons are fucking garbage.

Banzai5150 wrote:
    Never mind, not worth it, I'm in a pissy mood so I'm dropping it. Sorry for lashing out.

Well, I'm sorry if I agitated your pissy mood, that wasn't my goal (and I am being serious, not sarcastic).

Now I want to see both of your avatars kiss and make up.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I had a RAT for about a year. After a couple months of having it, it started having that ridiculous y-axis stuttering problem. It wasn't a problem with things being stuck in the laser; it just refused to work properly sometimes. Oddly enough, it would work after banging it around a few times.

At the year point it stopped working completely and I went back to my Logitech MX518 which I believe works better than the RAT did. I don't think that no one should ever buy a RAT, though.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    To give some more lip service on the side of Razer, the Deathadder I bought is simply delicious. It might be psycological, but I definitely seem to be doing better on every game I play with it; especially BF3.

Sadly I'm away on work now, and didn't want to bring it with me because I'd probably damage it. So I'm back with my antique logitech, OH THE HUMANITY.

GnomeTank wrote:

Also, Corsair's new Vengeance mice are awfully nice. Great build quality, nice shape, nice features. They have that heavy, chunky scroll wheel like the Cyborgs that I love. The drivers needed a bit longer in the oven, but they get the job done.

Still, My Mamba and Naga Epic are my top mice any day of the week. Despite any anecdotes about Razer, I've had very few issues with their products myself, and aside from some of them being a bit overpriced or ridiculous, they put out quality stuff that feels great to use.

Yeah, I like it alot. It's the first non-basic mouse I've every used, so there's not a whole lot of comparative experience, though. The only thing I really wish I could change would be the pinky finger wing. I love the idea of not dragging my pinky on my mousepad, but the wing doesn't really fit my finger the way it's supposed to. I use it anyway, though.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular

I am at 4000 right now and have used 5600 dpi mice before. I love it because you can do some really smooth and fine movements in photoshop or gaming. Also you move the mouse around a lot less so if I need to slam the cursor from the left side of my left monitor to the right side of my right monitor, I literally just have slide an inch.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I'm about 2 months in with my Deathadder and my thoughts are that while I'm generally happy with it, I would suggest people should look for something else.

What I mean is the mouse itself is a joy to use; the thumb buttons are in the perfect place, it polls well and it's size and weight are fantastic for my palm-grip. I really unhappy with the clicky scroll wheel though. It makes scrolling through my weapon inventory in all games (mount and blade, counter strike, bulletstorm, bioshock 2) an absolute pain and in fact I don't use it at all as it randomly jumps around or doesn't register. I have compromised around it, but I honestly believe that you could find a similar mouse for a similar price that wouldn't have the same issue

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke