As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Darren's Thread of Mutants and/or Masterminds

DMACDMAC Come at me, bro!Moderator mod
edited January 2012 in Artist's Corner
So, the Mutants & Masterminds GM Guide is out in stores today so I thought I'd post the pieces I did. These are all pencil line art with digital color. They represent villain archetypes that people can customize to use in their games.

Psycho:
psycho_final.jpg

Imp:
imp_final.jpg

Mad Scientist:
mad_scientist_final.jpg

Brute:
brute_final.jpg

Mimic:
mimic_final.jpg

Robot:
robot_final.jpg

DMAC on

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    My god, this stuff is great! The lineart and coloring, so clean.

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Some more recent stuff that I've posted in the doodle thread:

Idris Elba as DCI John Luther:
    luther.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes:
    sherlock.jpg

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I like the psycho and the mimic the best. The psycho totally looks like a grown man wearing a children's costume and it's really creepy, and I LOVE the folds on the mimic's waist.

I have to ask, were Snarf from Thundercats and Kaylee from Firefly the inspiration for the imp and the mad scientist?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    kudos for making a mad scientist without a lab coat... is it a speed suit?

Ha. Wish I'd thought to do a Venture reference...

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Don't quit your day job. Whatever that is.

j/k

Awesome stuff as usual, DMAC. Would the pieces benefit from a simple shadow on the floor to ground them? I guess it kinda depends on the context of the piece. I wouldn't mind seeing some figures that were a little more dynamic/dramatically posed.

Yeah, one of the things with these is that they need to more or less fit in a vertical column for the page layout. Doing anything too dynamic means they won't fit with the type.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Looking very clean, DMAC.

The style seems a little too friendly for the subject matter at times - murdering psycho skeleton guy seems a little out of place.

Yeah, something rougher probably would have been more appropriate for that one. I kind of picked a style and stuck with it for these.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Is your goal to just draw all the british dudes I got a crush on, or something?

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I love that in a world of futuristic killer robots, they still have a pixelated HUD.

Nice stuffs as always MAC

Kochikens wrote:
    Is your goal to just draw all the british dudes I got a crush on, or something?

I might have a crush on these dudes too.

Not in a gay way... in a viking way.

I've also been working on illustrations for a new dice/card game called FrankenDie:

frank_rough2.jpg

frank_final2.jpg

edited January 2012
    Your expertise in shape, contour and color really show in that last one. I like how the clothing is just ever so slightly pulling apart at the seams.

Upon closer inspection, I'm also really diggin' the hard and soft shadows you used in the shading.

earthwormadam on
    Thanks. The finished illo actually started out looking like this:

frank_final1.jpg

And then the client for these pieces learned that while you can use Frankenstein('s Monster) the character, you can't make him look too similar to the Universal Studios movie version.

I believe there are 5 distinct points they claim ownership to: the bolts on the neck, green skin, flat topped head, scar/seam across the forehead and... something else. You can use some of these elements but not all of them together so I ended up making the skin grey and moving the bolts up to the sides of his head.

inTAResting

Maybe the heavy platform shoes are the final element they claim? I can't remember.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    All cute girls are batshit fucking mad, but only some are scientists.
    mad_scientist_final.jpg

Insanely clean and perfect as always DMAC, I could eat dinner off your art.

Mustang on
    More FrankenDie:

scientist_sketches.jpg

scientist_rough1.jpg

scientist_final1.jpg

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Personally I like the first three headshots in the first image more than the finished one, but that's just my opinion. The finished piece still looks great

are YOU on the beer list?
    I posted a little step-by-step tutorial on my deviantArt page: http://d-mac.deviantart.com/art/Coloring-Tutorial-283434077