As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A month has passed and I've made some stuff, please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

KawwyKawwy Registered User new member
edited January 2012 in Artist's Corner
Ok, so a month ago I decided that I want to get better at GD and started doing daily designs.
Just to mess around with type, composition, colors and get to know the programs better.

They don't have any deep meaning or purpose, some are the result of what I felt that day.
(some of the titles and type might be a bit depressive, had my heart broken)

Please be brutally honest and if you have time, please tell me bit by bit what I'm doing wrong.
I really do want to get better at this and I think being honest is the only way.

Thank you for taking the time to look through them : )

http://octgtt.tumblr.com/

Kawwy on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    post em if ya got em

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Yes. Post a couple of pieces you want feedback on in this thread.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Yeah posting them is good.
    However I don't think there is anything terribly wrong with your execution but your concepts are not particularly interesting.
    The Cough Sneeze Sleep is probably the best of the bunch, but it still needs more work, plus the statistics don't make a terrible amount of sense. I can't remember any cold where I sneezed anywhere close to twelve thousand times in a day. Maybe 100 on my most sneezerific day.

• Options
    LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    I'd have to agree with Mustang. The concepts feel like they've been done before. I do enjoy the style of "I Need Help." Honestly feels like a postcard or should be on some self help book along with "I Made A Mistake."

Also, I'd definitely love to see this: http://octgtt.tumblr.com/#16255555366 But have a more abstract yet familiar image in the mess rather than just circles. Could potentially carry a lot of weight.

Style is good just think a bit more on how you can take something done multiple times and make it feel fresh and new.

• Options
    SaintElmosWireSaintElmosWire Registered User regular
    I really like some of those, the colors and texture especially. You might want to be careful with text dominated ones. You need to be thinking about how someone's eyes will move over the work and if the way they will is going to benefit your image.
    Mustang wrote:
    The Cough Sneeze Sleep is probably the best of the bunch

I agree with Mustang on this but I also think it's the best example of what I'm talking about being careful with.

But otherwise you have some really cool stuff coming through there.

MvViV.jpg
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Dude these are some nice experiments and all.
    But I would say that maybe take one or 2, the best ones and develop them for a something particular.
    Like you say its your mood that you get the inspiration to make them, say if you are feeling despressed when making one, turn it into
    an anti-depression campaign poster or something else.

But I know what your going through with just trying to have some fun with design, as that is currently what ive been doing.
    Drawing for no reason etc, hehe.