As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited May 2018 in Games and Technology
Dizzen wrote:
Another Case Solved. It's a match 3-or-more puzzler much of the time, but there's objectives within that, and the main cases have other game elements as well. Free with in-app purchases, but that's just for more candy, the premium currency that you can earn in the game.
Morran wrote: »
Good android games:

-The room. Neat puzzle/problem solving game
-Broken sword 1, Broken sword 2 - neat remake of the old games
-Ridiculous fishing - its vlambeer goddamit!
-Incredipede - build a machine made out of flesh and bone, and see it scramble across the screen!
-Middle manager of justice - double fine game.
-Rymdkapsel - nice RTS/tower defence lite.
-Epoch - fairly simple action game. Good looking though!
-Bridge constructor - build a bridge. Somewhat detailed physics simulator.
-Jetpack Joyride - one of the more polished constant runner games. F2P, but the free version is very playable!
-Blood of the zombies - a choose-your-own adventure made by CYA ian livingstone!
-Robotek - glorified slot machine dressed up in a tactical game, but a very polished one!
-Machinarium - nice adventure game (old click-click-click type).
-Osmos HD - a bit hard to explain. action/puzzle game where you are a blob trying to eat smaller blobs. Free demo.
Apostate wrote: »
Both the Kingdom Rush games (first one, second one) are great if you like tower defense. Some IAP but I doubt I spent more than $10-15 for the both of them.
Galaxy on Fire 2 is pretty fun. It's basically an Elite space ship style game. I think I spent 5$ on it so far and I'm not seeing anything where I'm going to have to fork over a bunch of money any time soon.
Plants vs. Zombie 2 is free and they just added stuff. The IAP is pretty optional if you're good at the game.
Major Mayhem is a good little rails style shooter. Don't think I have spent anything on it TBH.
Reaper was some good fun. It's a premium title but IIRC it's pretty cheap. Sort of a sidescroller RPG. Kind of hard to explain though.
Frem wrote: »
Yeah, and there's still a ton that ya'll didn't mention.
Tactics: Greed Corp, Worms 2,
Racing: Need for Speed Most Wanted
Puzzle: SpaceChem
Casual: TripleTown
Arcade: Tilt to Live 2, Aaaaaaaa!, Raiden Legacy, Super Hexagon
Card: CardCityNights
Roguelike: Ending, Hoplite
???: Spaceteam, Anomaly 2, Hundreds, Spider: Secret of something something
Also Aquaria, which you can't get any more apparently? :(

A significant number of awesome games debuted Android ports in Humble Android Bundles; it's worth keeping an eye on them.

Also, also! I paid my $10 and am downloading the beta of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition onto my Nexus 7 AT THIS VERY MOMENT. The developer says to wait for a few more updates before trying a full playthrough, but one guy says he did a speed run of the main quest without any show-stopping issues. Excitement!

Thanks to @Dizzen for the OP

captaink on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Grand Prix Story is good too. I would love to hear about some other Android specific games. I'm guessing most of the games we'll be mentioning are ports from iOS though.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    I played the demo of Grand Prix Story and it was good. I was having trouble wrapping my head around every kind of upgrade though. Like cars and parts can be leveled up by racing, but they can also be upgraded, which is a separate system that uses Data. And when you make cars and parts, the levels of your mechanics can add to their base stats. And when you install parts, the levels of your mechanics can give you ANOTHER bonus. It was just hard to keep track of.

I don't mind if stuff is an iOS port or not, I was just tired of reading that thread, seeing something cool, and it's not available on Android.

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Battleheart is a fun actiony RPG.

If you like board games, Elder Sign: Omens just got released. It's a version of the Elder Signs dice game based on the Arkham Horror board game.

Templar Assault is good if you like TBS, particularly of the Space Hulk variety.

Also, http://www.humblebundle.com/. Anomaly, Edge, Osmos and if you drop more than $5, World of Goo.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I trust this site when I feel like buying an android game http://droidgamers.com/

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    Dungeon Raid finally got ported to android, it's pretty fun.

gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    World of goo is the best Android game I played.

Edit. That and chu chu rocket.

Morran on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Mega Mall Story. It's also by Kairosoft. It follows the SimTower template pretty closely and it's a blast. It doesn't have the same degree of replayability that Game Dev Story did, in that there's not a whole lot I feel I missed out on in the first playthrough, but that first trip through takes a good amount of time.

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Funny you made this thread today. I just got an email about a humble bundle android version today. Went ahead and bought it.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Battleheart looks great! Checking it out now.

Also, worth mentioning that the excellent Plants vs. Zombies was released for Android a couple months back.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I recently got an Android. Only game I bought so far is Backbreaker, which is quite fun.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Also, http://www.humblebundle.com/. Anomaly, Edge, Osmos and if you drop more than $5, World of Goo.
    This. Get games on the cheap and help charity at the same time.

• Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Super Stickman Golf is both free and awesome.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Shredder Chess is my best coach.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    img_0232.jpg
    using adosbox

img_0233.jpg
    using adosbox

img_3194.jpg
    using gemRB

I enjoy "android" gaming. I'm halfway through Betrayal at Krondor right now.

Brolo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what the fuck
    Is BG2 actually playable like that?

I need this
    Because of reasons

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    gemrb, its an emulator of the engine running BG2 pst etc

it also exists for Pc, linux...

Pst is kind of broken (i tried), havent tried BG2 yet.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Sonic CD

• Options
    Also, ScummVM is awesome on android. Certain games are better than others, though.

Beneath a steel sky is pretty much one of the best games on android via scumm VM because it could be played with a single button mouse and no keyboard back in the day. That, and because it's an incredible game.

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Just came in to say that I tried the demo of Osmos which I played to completion on Steam, all achievements, because it is an incredible game. So I tried the Android version to compare and can happily report that it runs and controls really well on my HTC Incredible S. If you are at all interested, go for it, I say.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I remember when I played through, and finished, Monkey Island 1 on the PalmOS version of ScummVM. It was like playing on a postage stamp.

• Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Drop7 was on sale during the recent 10 billion downloads sale, and is a pretty neat puzzle game that doesn't require your complete focused attention throughout.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Just came in to say that I tried the demo of Osmos which I played to completion on Steam, all achievements, because it is an incredible game. So I tried the Android version to compare and can happily report that it runs and controls really well on my HTC Incredible S. If you are at all interested, go for it, I say.

All my limes! It's a really chilled out, yet often challenging game. And if you like ambient electronica, the soundtrack is really nice.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Battleheart is a fun actiony RPG.

If you like board games, Elder Sign: Omens just got released. It's a version of the Elder Signs dice game based on the Arkham Horror board game.

Templar Assault is good if you like TBS, particularly of the Space Hulk variety.

Elder Signs looks awesome, having that when I get a new phone.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    World of Goo is really good on Android as well, played the demo. Unfortunately games where you drag stuff mean I can't use my phone's weird two screen mode, but it's still pretty fun.

Super Stickman Golf has been my most recent phone obsession though - so much fun. Also a bit of Fluffy Birds and Chu Chu Rocket. My son is trying to play through Where's my Water.

• Options
    On the subject of controls for android games - since android natively supports hardware keypads, a large number of games have hidden keypad support. Sonic CD, for example, will map the d-pad to wasd, and jump to the back key.

The reason this is so cool is two fold - first, there exists slap-on controllers for just about every keypad made. It's called the game gripper and it's an awesome accessory:

game-gripper-continues-the-expansion-with-the-brandnew-epic-g-indication-genesis-symbol-blueprint-video-1.jpg

Second, and more relevant to anyone with a tablet or phone without a keyboard, is that you can very easily connect a wiimote to your android device via bluetooth (there are several free apps on the app market which will do this for you) and map keyboard presses to various buttons on a wiimote, nunchuck, and even classic controller. This makes a bunch of games feel a lot better - it's way more awesome to play Sonic CD on a tablet with a wiimote than with the touch screen controls. Numerous games support the keypad, but most don't advertise it, so ymmv. But it's something worth looking in to.

Maybe a bit unwieldy for a phone, but it's great for a tablet with a stand.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular

It is indeed fun, but fuck if it doesn't become frustrating quickly. I went into it thinking it'd be a nice relaxing experience to unwind with, but by the time I put it down I was cursing at it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    In regards to games on Android, I've been experimenting with getting Xcom: UFO Defense running on my tablet. I have actually gotten it to run, but I don't know if it runs slowly because of the system specs or because of configuration issues. Plus, I want to get it running with the UFOextender stuff because I hate having to reequip soldiers. That would be something really awesome to get working properly.

I've also killed a good bit of time trying to get PST running on the system, but yeah, it's definitely goofy. I've never played the game and I'm waiting until it works properly on Android. Trying to get the GoG version working on Android probably doesn't help eithe since Gemrb is configured to work with the CD version.

• Options
    I've been considering picking up a cheap 7" android tablet for comic reading. I hadn't even thought much about gaming on one because I have my phone and 3DS. Do games scale up to 7" well or do they look like you've blown a thumbnail picture up?

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Cut the Rope and Where's My Water? are both outstanding puzzle games with the added bonus of being adorable.

I'll second Dungeon Raid - I just got it a few days ago and have gotten a ton of playtime out of it. On the surface it's a match-3+ game but it's way deeper than that in terms of RPG-style upgrades and class unlocks. The mechanic of drawing a line across the tiles you want to match is pretty satisfying too.

Triple Town is another sort of match-3 game but you're actually building a little town instead of clearing the screen of blocks. It's easy to get into but takes some pretty serious planning and strategy to get a high score, which I really appreciate.

Kairosoft's library alone should net you 100+ hours of good times.

So happy to see this thread. Just downloaded Elder Signs now - would never have known it existed without reading about it here.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Is Elder Signs a single player game?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    I've been considering picking up a cheap 7" android tablet for comic reading. I hadn't even thought much about gaming on one because I have my phone and 3DS. Do games scale up to 7" well or do they look like you've blown a thumbnail picture up?

Most games are just blown up, but it doesn't really bother me. I have a 10" tablet, and I have no problems. A few games do offer HD versions or support, but I'd say most don't.

I fully support a tablet for reading comics. That's one of the reasons I got mine and it worked great.

• Options
    Supposedly there's a good number of apps on Amazon's store that are optimized to run on the Fire, but I don't how many and how many of them are games. But it might be something worth looking into.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captaink wrote:

Most games are just blown up, but it doesn't really bother me. I have a 10" tablet, and I have no problems. A few games do offer HD versions or support, but I'd say most don't.

I fully support a tablet for reading comics. That's one of the reasons I got mine and it worked great.

Got my Galaxy tab 10.1 largely for reading back issues of gamepro and EGM from retromags, and yes, they make awesome readers. On the subject of using a tablet like a book, can anybody recommend a good case for such a tablet? I have a friend who has a 7" galaxy tab and he has this holder which is shaped like a book that makes holding the thing, and reading with it, much more comfortable. Does anything like that exist for 10" tablets?

There are a few games which are made specifically for tablets, but I dunno if they're only the 10" variety or if they also have 7" variations.

• Options
    Bullio wrote:
    Supposedly there's a good number of apps on Amazon's store that are optimized to run on the Fire, but I don't how many and how many of them are games. But it might be something worth looking into.

The Fire looks nice, I was thinking Nook Color or Tablet (the Color is on sale as a refurb right now for $129) I have an original Nook so keeping it all under one account sounded nice and simple.

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Is Elder Signs a single player game?

Yes, however, because of the nature of the game, it would be pretty easy to play it hotseat. At the outset, you pick four investigators and they take turns during the game. Could easily just let everyone pick an investigator and do it that way.

Anyone who has a Tegra device owes it to themselves to get Zen Pinball. Comes with one free table, others are like 99 cents or two bucks. So worth it.

edit:
    If you're looking for tower defense, I'm of the opinion that you can't beat Sentinel 3 in that department. It's just an overall solid game with some neat features.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Gun Bros. is a really well done freemium twin stick shooter. I've played it both on my phone and tablet and it runs like butter on both of em. Also haven't spent a single cent on it and have been doing just fine, though I may throw them a few bucks since I have played the shit out of it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    Drag Racing is an absolutely addictive game if you like even a little racing. Quick races, endless car customization and tuning, and online battles. This game is a TON of fun. And it's free. . .

steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Pumpkins Vs Monsters is a really cool match 3 game with a good use of touch elements.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Rderdall wrote:
    Drag Racing is an absolutely addictive game if you like even a little racing. Quick races, endless car customization and tuning, and online battles. This game is a TON of fun. And it's free. . .

This looks really great. I'm a sucker for Lamborghinis.

steam_sig.png