As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cloverfield (mystery movie trailer in front of transformers)

mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I've noticed alot of interest on this trailer, so let's discuss it shall we?

The trailer is currently attached to transformers and depicts an attack on New York City by some sort of creature. It's shot entirely on handheld cameras from the perspective of some partygoers. The trailer gives no title for the movie, only announcing "From J.J. Abrams" and a release date of 01-18-2008

Description of the trailer, from AICN:

The entire thing takes place from the perspective of a party goer with a camera, waiting to surprise their friend, Rob. It's basically a nice, big bon voyage party between friends. The entire thing feels incredibly real and like plenty of parties I've been to myself--people mingle, munch on chips, chatter, etc. Rob arrives, everyone yells surprise, the camera person interviews people for anything they have to say to Rob before he leaves.

After probably 30 seconds or a little longer, the apartment shakes, the lights flicker, people scream and head to the roof. A crowd approaches the edge of the roof immediately as a massive explosion miles away takes place. People scream and start scrambling back to the stairs. Right before they enter the stairwell, something like a comet (a piece of the previous explosion) comes flying near the people and the roof. The camera is very jumpy and cuts in and out as people make their way down a darkened stairwell to the street. At this point, I can't remember if the screen cuts to black and says "From producer JJ Abrams..." or if that happens once they're all on the ground. Either way, it's at a good moment and is the first inkling as to what we're watching.

Once on the ground, some people are running in hysteria while others look into the distance trying to figure what's happening. Pieces of the explosion start flying towards the ground and hitting buildings all around. The people that were just looking into the distance finally start moving. At that moment, a massive piece of the explosion starts heading towards the camera. It flies right by and skids down the middle of the city street, hitting some people along the way. The piece finally slows down, rocks back towards the camera, and there she is--Lady Liberty's face, in flames and destroyed. Cut to black. Hitting theatres January 2008 (I think it was 01/18/08).

In my opinion this is one of the most effective trailers I've ever seen. It's not polished like most big budget film trailers, but it felt huge. It had people in the theatre chattering, wondering what the heck this is and when it's coming. The entire trailer had a verisimilitude to it. It felt like it was happening... like we were there. In short, it did it's job and then some. Surprisingly, they didn't say what the name of the film was in the trailer. Whatever it's called in the end though, I'm there.

Turns out the movie has been flying under the radar for awhile now. Not much is known at the moment, although we do know:

- The current working title is Cloverfield

- J.J. Abrams is PRODUCING only.

-Directing duties will be handled by Drew Goddard (Alias, Lost, Buffy, Angel)

I know my theater was pretty excited after the trailer played, there was almost as much talk about this trailer after the movie as there was regarding transformers. Anyone else find themselves wanting to know more about this movie?

0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
mantis23 on

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If only because it feels like they don't want me to then yes. Though I suppose that is the point.

Anyone else thing "OMG Evangelion?!" when they heard the deep growls and explosions? I was really excited, for a few minutes anyways.

Iceman.USAF on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't care what AICN says, but I liked the trailer.

DarkPrimus on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From what I hear, the monster is some sort of parasite...

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I have to say that is probably the most effective trailer I've ever seen.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If only because it feels like they don't want me to then yes. Though I suppose that is the point.

Anyone else thing "OMG Evangelion?!" when they heard the deep growls and explosions? I was really excited, for a few minutes anyways.

Myself and many others in the theaters all said "Godzilla?! Oh man its gotta be Godzilla!"

It does sound like Godzilla too...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah it looked really fucking good.

MikeMan on
  • Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cloverfield?

Obviously, the monster is a sort of leprechaun.

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was telling my friends "Oh man it'd better be GAMERA!"

DarkPrimus on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Maybe it's gonna be Gamera vs Godzilla!!! D:

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, maybe it's the LOST monster?

jackshitjm0.gif

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, it's produced by JJ Abrams.

So, whatever it is, it will be the center of a meandering plot that makes you want to claw your eyes out (or better yet, JJ Abrams' eyes), and it will be infinitely less satisfying than all the hype and mystique that was built around it.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
    edited July 2007
    I bet it has giant mechanical spiders in it.

MuddBudd on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I bet it has giant mechanical spiders in it.

:lol:

Veegeezee on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aemilius wrote: »
    Well, it's produced by JJ Abrams.

So, whatever it is, it will be the center of a meandering plot that makes you want to claw your eyes out (or better yet, JJ Abrams' eyes), and it will be infinitely less satisfying than all the hype and mystique that was built around it.

Oh fuck this attitude. Yes, that's the only thing JJ Abrams has ever produced. That's right.

I mean, christ, basically all he's doing for this movie is throwing the money at it to get it made.

Furu on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I must have missed something here (I haven't seen the trailer). How do you know it's a creature and not something else causing the explosions?

Edit: Wait, never mind, I found the trailer on Youtube.

Aroused Bull on
    edited July 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    I must have missed something here (I haven't seen the trailer). How do you know it's a creature and not something else causing the explosions?

Someone comments "Look at the size of that thing!". Apparently someone else says something to the effect of "It looks like a giant lion."

Plus the same source that gave the title said the movie was about the invasion of a giant alien called "The Parasite" and that the whole thing would be shot on home cameras like the trailer.

Furu on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think he's saying "it's alive", not "it's a lion".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NNxPcgn_Dk

Aroused Bull on
    edited July 2007
    That works too. Regardless, yeah, giant monster.

Furu on
    edited July 2007
    I'm getting a Cthulu vibe from this.

MuddBudd on
    edited July 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I'm getting a Cthulu vibe from this.

That would be pretty damn sweet.

But I'm telling you -- I'll be totally vindicated when it actually turns out to be a polar bear, or a terrifying gas with a suspension of particulate matter.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    I think he's saying "it's alive", not "it's a lion".
    Maybe it's Voltron?

Andrew_Jay on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks entertaining

I havent had my dosage of epic for too long.

The Black Hunter on
    edited July 2007
    Looks entertaining

I havent had my dosage of epic for too long.

Uh? Go see Transformers?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
    edited July 2007
    I am just imagining the pitch for this.

"Let's make an action movie where all the action happens far away or offscreen"

"Brilliant!"

MuddBudd on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Big explosion. Check

World famous landmark destroyed. Check

Girl jiggles titties. Check

This cannot fail.

Gorak on
    edited July 2007
    I actually wouldn't mind going through the movie without getting a good look at The Parasite. The idea of a human's eye view of a gigantic monster apocalypse is interesting enough for me.

Furu on
  • FartzFartz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Goddammit, youtube took down all the recordings of the trailer. Anyone know where else I could see it?

Fartz on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YouTube wrote:
    This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Paramount Pictures Corporation

Noooooo

Delzhand on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This doesn't seem to do anything at the moment, but it looks at least official-ish.

http://www.1-18-08.com/

werehippy on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why would they do that. Do they not want people to see the trailer?

Endomatic on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah... the trailer was pretty effective. Thought it was for some lame chick flick and then... HOLY SHIT! The sound effects did seem similar to those used on Lost. According to IMDB the film is no where near complete.

LondonBridge on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Why would they do that. Do they not want people to see the trailer?

Because they're building insane buzz for the film on a minimum investment, and it might even drive ticket sales for Transformers (people have gone to see movies for less than a great trailer).

werehippy on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Maybe it's gonna be Gamera vs Godzilla!!! D:

Hilarity: While this preview was on, friend of mine turns to me and says "Man, this is totally a Godzilla movie."

"You know who's BETTER than Godzilla? Gamera. He was a turtle."

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I feel totally gypped for not getting to see this trailer. We got that new The Rock movie and Hot Rod as the only things before Transformers.

Elbonian Man on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A bit of poking around and I found the trailer.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/07/04/jj-abrams-cloverfield-trailer-now-online

I saw it yesterday before Transformers, and it seemed interesting. Really strange to not include the title, tentative as it is.

Mx. Quill on
    edited July 2007
    A bit of poking around and I found the trailer.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/07/04/jj-abrams-cloverfield-trailer-now-online

I saw it yesterday before Transformers, and it seemed interesting. Really strange to not include the title, tentative as it is.

good god that's horrible quality

those of you that haven't seen the trailer, do yourselves a favor and wait to see the trailer in theaters

MikeMan on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah. See, I didn't check the whole trailer through. I just checked to see if it plays, then posted it.

Sorry bout that.

Mx. Quill on
    edited July 2007
    Ah. See, I didn't check the whole trailer through. I just checked to see if it plays, then posted it.

Sorry bout that.

not your fault.

MikeMan on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drew Goddard, you say?

Hmm.

Senjutsu on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dear god... the sight does NOTHING.... It's a still!

Though I think I heard somewhere that they're not even done filming the movie.
    And that it's done entirely from the POV of the characters with the handicam.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg