As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Call of Cthulhu - IC] Whispers in the Darkness

• PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    [Rucdoc]
    Stepping into the shadow and lighting his cigarette, the man begins to speak quietly, as if to himself. "You're scratching at something a lot worse than you might realize, buddy. The techies under the mountain have gone way off the reservation, and I don't think they're coming back. Things have been getting weird here for years, ever since Codburn brought that little gook over from Cambodia after the war. Dr. Noun Samphan, like hell he's a doctor though. Now Morgan's out of the way and Codburn's little side project is getting full priority. Samphan and his crew haven't been out of the facility in over a month, and you can smell them from 3 floors up. I don't know what's going on, I can't get clearance past the 5th sub-basement, but it's wrong, and it sure as shit isn't official company business." His cigarette had burned down to the filter and he flicked it to the ground.

"Look, just watch yourself. They don't want you here fucking with their program, and some of these guys are pretty twisted." He claps you on the back and starts to speak loudly. "Hey buddy, thanks for the light. Good luck with that chair!" He starts to walk off towards the door of the main facility.
    [Peff, Captain Marcus]
    Griffin's eyes light up slightly and he gives you a sardonic smile. "Weeelllllll, now that you mention it, missing donor information is a pretty serious breach of legal documentation. Priority number one I should think." Reaching into his desk, he pulls out a large bar of chocolate and takes a large bite out of it. As an afterthought he holds the bitten end out, offering it to you. With his free hand he begins to tap away at his keyboard, obviously attempting to show off. "Approval information has been deleted...just the surface information...sloppyyyyy...lessee..." After a minute, he grows silent and sets down the chocolate, turning his full attention to the screen. Finally he pushes himself back and shrugs.

"Right, well some of the data is totally gone, wiped from the system, but I recovered most of it. ID 785263 logged in and deleted the information, or tried to. That would be Dr. Jack Appleton, attending physician and the county's deputy coroner. Try the morgue. The donor's ID is just gone, but we removed Dr. Morgan's new heart here at the hospital, along with a pancreas, kidneys and liver. The organ bank...uh...Southwest Medical Associates, sent the heart and pancreas back here, and the other two somewhere else. Couldn't say where, that's been deleted too. Now how's that for service?" With an air of satisfaction, Griffin reaches out for the bills in Todt's hand.
    [El Skid]
    You can hear what sounds like sporadic vomitting, as well as a fair bit of sobbing. The smell wafting from under the door suggests a good bit of defecation as well.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    "Are you okay in zere?" said Guy cautiously, opening the bathroom door. "Do you need me to call a nurse or somesing?"

El Skid on
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "Excellent service, Mr. Griffin. Here. You've earned it."

Dr. Todt hands over the bills.

He turns to Javier.
    "So, we have one Jack Appleton to talk to. We also have Southwest Medical Associates to talk to. What first?"

• rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    Releaseing his grip on the glock, Mathew smiled. "No problem man, thanks for the advice on where to sit."

Heading back into the building Mathew heads straight for the phone. He picks up the phone and dials the number for the hospital.

"Hi, I need to speak with Dr. Todt or Dr. Cubilla, and I need to speak with them as soon as possible, I willing to stay on the line."

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    Turning to face Todt, "Sorry about making a mess of that...not sure what that was about. Since we're already here, how about we pay a visit to the hospital morgue and see if we can find some information or even Dr. Jack there? At least then if I embarrass us it'll just be in front of a few dead guys."

Pausing to think "You think our driver might know how far out the organ bank is? We should probably see if we can get him back here, I imagine that'll have to be our next stop since the records here have been deleted."

steam_sig.png
    [Rucdoc]
    The tired sounding nurse asks for you to hold, and you sit listening to the cloying soft jazz music of the hospital's hold
    [El Skid]
    The foul smell of shit and vomit assaults you as you crack the door open. You hear soft gagging from one of the stalls, and a moment later your compatriot Mr. Schmidt stumbles out. His pants are around his ankles and clearly stained by a number of bodily fluids. His face is a deep shade of crimson, and he has clearly been weeping. "Oh *urp* hello Guy. I can't say I'd....oh god...recommend the chili."
    [Peff and Marcus]
    "Paging doctors Todt and Cubilla, Paging doctors Todt and Cubilla, please report to the nearest nurses station."

"God, man. Zis is horrible. Why don't you check yourself into ze hospital and get zis looked at. See if you can hear or see anysing important while we investigate elsewhere."

With a revolted expression Guy left the washroom and went to follow the paged doctors, breathing the clean air outside deeply.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Dr. Todt heads to the nurses station.

"Yes?"

Javier leans up against the nurses station "I am Dr. Cubilla, this is Dr Todt. We have a message, I assume?"

steam_sig.png
    [rucdoc]
    Over the sound of the hold music, you can hear a soft clicking sound, and a faint echo.

[rucdoc]
    With a chill down your spine you realize what the sound was: the line is being tapped.

[Peff and Cpt. Marcus]
    The crowds of reporters and cops has begun to thin out, and it looks like a new shift of workers has taken over. The panicked and weary look of the nurses has been replaced with the more familiar look of boredom and irritation. One of these nurses lazily consults a note on her chart and taps a few buttons on the phone before handing the receiver to you and walking off without a second glance.

"Hello?"

"Hi this is Mathew, the tuna sandwiches have gone bad. I need to get back to working on finding a better chair."

With that Mathew hangs up the phone, then heads back to his computer.

Original Creepy Janitor

Dr. Todt turns to Javier.

"It was Matthew. He said the tuna sandwiches have gone bad, and that he needs to work on finding a better chair. I don't know what it means either, but I think he thought people were listening in, otherwise he would've said real things instead of nonsense.

So he's stuck, Guy is wandering somewhere around the hospital, and we have a few leads on the missing data. What should we do first?"

Guy stepped around the corner and walked over to the doctors.

"Well, we know zat ze friend we were sent here to ask about is ze one who caused all the commotion today- And if we are being listened to zen it is past time we should be leaving. I've asked our friend Monsieur S. to check heemself into ze hospital as he is not feeling well anyway, so he can keep an eye on events here."

"Well...how about we call the driver and check out the organ bank?"

Nodding toward Guy "Whatever we do though, it's probably time we left. We don't need to attract any more attention than we already have. Might be best to find a line outside the hospital to call for our ride...just in case."

steam_sig.png
    As Mathew walks up to his "office" hey nods to the guard. "Hey man, I just want to thank you for your assistance with the chair." Mathew pulls out his wallet and withdraws two hundred and fourty dollars and slips it to the guard. I'm gonna finish up a few things then head to town and get a place to crash for a bit, had to get up way to early this morning."

Mathew then enters the room and sits down at the terminal that was provided, and quickly codes a small program that will ping every IP address in the building with a repeat function to repeat the program once it finishes it's run.

He then packs his system and runs the program on the terminal.

Original Creepy Janitor

"Huh. Well, let's go then. I was thinking about calling a cab, but then I remembered our duffel bags are in the SUV."

Dr. Todt leaves the hospital and looks for a pay phone.

[rucdoc]
    The guard looks furtively around the hallway then pockets the money with a nod. He turns his attention away from your room and leaves you to your work. You're able to throw the basic program together in a few minutes and initiate it, starting what you hope will be a long evening for your local counterparts.

[El Skid, Cpt. Marcus and Peff]
    As you turn away from the corridor leading toward the morgue and head to the lobby in search of a pay phone, you notice the televisions. On the screen is the local news, where a police sketch of a man that looks very much like Dr. Morgan (the one Guy observed earlier) is displayed over a banner reading "Local Man Sought in Kidnapped Girl Case". Outside the main entrance, Guy also notices Mason leaning against his huge black truck in the parking lot, reading a book.

edited January 2012
    "Sometimes ze police can be so brash." Pointing up at the monitor, Guy continued walking. "I had thought zey would keep quiet about zis for a while so zey would not scare whoever zat is away. Now zey will 'ave a much harder time, I theenk. Let's go over here and see Mason, we definitely need to leave and be about our business shortly."

El Skid on
    Dr. Todt walks up to Mason.

"Hello Mason, we've found a few leads, but right now we need a place to stay. Know of any good hotels?"

I'd like a home base that's not in the crazy people compound. Also we need to debrief Guy.

"Hey mate, I'm heading out, have a great evening." with that Mathew lugs his computer and his bag and heads for the front desk.

when he gets there he greets whoever is behind the desk with a smile. "Hi, I'm finished for the day, and I was hoping you would be able to contact the gentleman who dropped me off and let him know I'm ready to be picked up." With another smile Mathew walks out of the front door takes a walks a few steps to the left of the door sets his bag and computer down reaches behind him and pulls out his glock and the sits down against the wall. he lowers his hat over his eyes and waits, his gun in his hand, though still under his coat and waits.

Original Creepy Janitor

[rucdoc]
    The sky has clouded over significantly in the brief time since you were out last, and though it is approaching the end of the work day, you notice very few people actually leaving the compound. No one accosts you directly as you sit in the lot, but you notice a number of very blatant glares from passing security patrols as you wait for your ride. After twenty minutes sweating in the dwindling heat, a aged and battered white sedan with a "TAXI" placard on the roof. An ancient looking Mexican man in a pair of glasses the size of saucers rolls down the window. "You need a ride to the city sir?"
    [Skid, Marcus and Peff]
    Tucking the book into his back pocket, Mason gives you guys a big smile. "As it happens, I took the liberty of booking a suite for you before I headed over. The old Hilton Hotel, very historic. Oh, don't worry though, it's been renovated, a really modern place. None of that kitchy, turquoise, Injun, tourist trap shit. Is that where we're headed?" He opens the doors of the truck for you and hesitates for a moment. "Hey, looks like you're a man short. Where's Mr. Schmidt?"

edited January 2012
    "I was razzer hoping that we would find him here. I hope he 'as not gotten 'imself lost in a computer again..." said Guy, shaking his head sadly as he leaned against the car. Looking back at the others, he said "Do you want to give him a few minutes, or should I go in and look for him? If we're going to tell each other what we've found, having to do it a second time is annoying, unless zere is something earth-shattering you 'ave to report?"

El Skid on
    Mathew pushes back his hat and gives the cab a once over, then stands up. "Yeah, I could use a lift." he says while tucking the glock back into it's holster and picking up his gear. "What's the best hotel in town?" he asks as he gets into the backseat.

Original Creepy Janitor

"Not really. There's something weird with Dr. Morgan's paperwork, but it shouldn't be anything that big and we'll clear it up tomorrow. You can go in and try to find Schmidt if you like. If you can't find him in 10 minutes, leave a note at the desk telling him we'll be at the Hilton. Speaking of which, Mason, are there any other hotels in town? If we get our friend back safe and sound, we might need to have a backup hotel. How's the book?"

[Skid, Marcus and Peff]
    Guy returns to the building in search of Schmidt. The bathroom where they previously saw each other is now the site of a frantic janitorial assault against the stench he had left behind, but he is no where in sight. After a few minutes Guy gives up and returns to the front, leaving a brief note with direct Mr. Schmidt to the Hilton if he comes by.

Outside, Mason nods at the Doctors. "Oh yeah, plenty of hotels round these parts. Anything from rent-a-hooker flea bag motels to the real ritzy places to mom and pop cottages. If you want, I can go ahead and book something for you, just lemme know what you need." He pats the book in his pocket and smiles, "Just doin' a bit of recreational reading to pass the time, educatin' myself, y'know? It's all about the space race. Fascinating stuff. Ruskis shooting dogs into space and such."

"Ah, good stuff. It's a shame about that dog though. Anyways, how about you book us a middle-class hotel. Nothing fancy, but not where we'll have to sleep in shifts facing the door."

When Guy gets back we'll go.

[Marcus, Peff and Skid[
    "Ah, gotcha, I'll get you a Ho-Jo or something near the airport, that should do." He nods to Guy, walking out of the Hospital lobby. "We'll let's get going then." Having just come from the East Coast, even the rush hour traffic of Albuquerque seems remarkably light and after a few minutes of driving through an unremarkable downtown, you arrive at the Hilton Hotel and follow Mason with your gear towards the room.

[rucdoc]
    The driver is mercilessly short on conversation as he drives you back up Interstate 25 towards Albuquerque. You're left mostly to your thoughts and the poor reception of the local Mariachi radio station. As he nears the city, he has a brief conversation on the CB and steers you towards the hotel. When you step out with your equipment, he leans out the window. "Sir, the ride is on the company account of course, but...well it was a long trip, and the tip..."

(if rucdoc is getting here an hour and a half after we do, we're entering the room first rather than waiting for him)

"Ok Mason, lead the way. Thanks, by the way."

Todt follows Mason to the room, and goes in it if Mason goes first. Obviously if we're attacked or something I pull out my gun, but otherwise I say thanks to Mason and tell him goodbye.

Mathew fishes two tens out of his wallet and hands one of them to the cabbie. Then he turns and walks inside.

He smiles as he aproches the desk, trying to push off the weariness of the day, "Hi, my name is Mathew Stadler, there should be a room for me. I'm sure you already have one assigned but if I could get an upstairs room away from any elevator or stairs, that would be great." He says as he sets the other ten dollar bill on the counter.

Original Creepy Janitor

[Peff, Skid and Marcus]
    Hefting one of the bags, Mason leads you into the common space of a well appointed suite of rooms. Doors to three bedrooms lead off from the main area, and the room comes with a kitchenette and huge television set. "Welp, guess that's it for me then. I left my number on the fridge there along with a bit of a welcoming gift, just give me a call in the morning when you guys are ready to head out. And I'll have the concierge get you the info on the extra room." Mason sets down the luggage, nods, and leaves you to your unpacking.
    [rucdoc]
    "I'm sorry sir, your room is part of a suite. As your party has already checked in, you'll have to check out another room if you're unhappy with your accommodations? Shall I arrange for another room?"

edited February 2012
    "So we should plan where to go from 'ere." said Guy, having unpacked his clothes. "We can of course check out ze house of Monsieur Morgan and perhaps ask ze neighbours some questions. And zere is ze office to check- someone zere may have some more information on where he may 'ave gone. Does anyone else have any more leads?" Guy stops and straightens his collar, remembering his date.

"Oh, I also 'ave managed to set up a rendez-vous tonight with a reporter who might be able to give us some more information, especially now zat everything has hit ze news."

El Skid on
    Todt searches the room for any obvious bugs before he speaks. (stuff like things on the wall and in corners with wires coming out of them, microphones, etc. He doesn't have any skills relating to it so he's not going to find anything- he's just paranoid.)

"Javier and I found a few interesting leads, thanks to a computer technician at the hospital. It seems there was a problem with the documentation on Morgan's new heart, so I'll head out tomorrow to talk to a few people. It might clear up, it might not.

The neighbors probably won't be any help. Morgan ran out of the hospital, not his house. Although checking his house might prove interesting, you'd have to be very careful around his wife.

We got a couple of calls from Matthew this afternoon. The native employees are restless. Something's come up on his end. I doubt this room is bugged, but in the future we should watch what we say.

The police want to know "ANYTHING" we've found out, and they won't help us. Guess we won't help them either."

Dr. Todt sits down on the bed and flips on the news.

"Yes, some of the work I'm doing is rather sensitive. I'd be willing to compensate you for any extra effort you would have to make to ensure my work is undisturbed." Mathew said pulling out a few more tens from his wallet.

Original Creepy Janitor

Javier takes a seat in a chair in the corner of the room and puts his feet up

"Well...I don't know what else we can get accomplished tonight. I suppose we should probably relax while we've got the chance. I figure I'll tag along with Todt, maybe see if we can't figure out more about the mystery heart."

Leaning back in the chair further and stretching out, "Speaking of Matthew...have we heard anything from him since the call?"

steam_sig.png
    [rucdoc]
    "Certainly, sir. It will be $150 for the night and we'll need a credit card. I can give you something on...the 8th floor."
    [Peff, Marcus and El Skid]
    All Todt's search turns up is the bottle of vodka left by Mason to chill in the fridge. On the television, the news anchors chat on for an agonizing length of time about the local high school basketball season. It is followed up by a report on farm animal mutilations attributed to a local gang, the anchors finally turn to the hospital abduction. Following an abbreviated version of Mr. Hernandez's statement, and a pledge by the police spokesman to return the girl safely, the show again displays a sketch of Dr. Morgan. Like the police, the newscasters seem to firmly attribute Louisa's kidnapping to the missing doctor. Unfortunately, the broadcast has no substantial information that you didn't already know.

"Of course you would." Mathew says as he pulls his credit card out of his wallet. "And the eight floor sounds lovely. If I could also have the room number where my friends are staying that would be grand."

Original Creepy Janitor

Later...

Guy stepped out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist and a comb running gently and efficiently through his hair. He set up in front of a large mirror in the main room and picked up some expensive-looking cologne and dabbed a little bit on his neck before suiting up in a spiffy-looking sport coat and some sleek-looking pants. "I will likely be out late gazzering information, you don' need to wait up" said Guy slyly, winking at the two others. "I'll be back by 8 am zo we can get going early tomorrow"

Todt goes to sleep.

(request to either meet Matthew or head to the next day)