As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ChemistryOn!] SpaceChem! Demo on Steam, good for four hours.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    yes, that is a thing of beauty

• ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Thanks, though that reactor had a couple of unnecessary symbols. Actually, most of them did. After a bit of tweaking, I managed to make the whole thing pretty damned fast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?hd=1&v=h0Hq4cBQGQg

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    One of these days I will finish the final level. Something tells me that isn't today.

Current Personal Bests, for the interested.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Good luck with that. Accidents Happen is kicking my ass. Dealing with that extra hydrogen is such a pain. I'll get it eventually, but I'm taking a break and doing some ResearchNet puzzles.

• SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Oh dear sweet fucking Christ what is happening in the Corvi 63 campaign -- three different Ω/H combinations?

Though "Carbomega," as far as corny video game portmanteaus go, pretty good.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    jclast wrote:
    Since you challenged me, I made mine better. No idea how @lowlylowlycook did it with only 2 reactors though.
    ?.jpg

Hmmmm, I'll have to look at this. I'm guessing that this save was on my now dead notebook and that I won't be able to reproduce it.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited January 2012
    jclast wrote:
    Since you challenged me, I made mine better. No idea how @lowlylowlycook did it with only 2 reactors though.
    ?.jpg

Hmmmm, I'll have to look at this. I'm guessing that this save was on my now dead notebook and that I won't be able to reproduce it.

2? How about 1?
    kkdCn.jpg
    E: fixed link.

ContentContext on
    Alright I give. I need help on the Falling mission. I don't even know where to begin. I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to transform the Os into Zr and turn the Kr and H into Sr and Y, but I can't even imagine a conveyer line that can accomplish anything resembling that.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

edited February 2012
    SkyEye wrote:
    Alright I give. I need help on the Falling mission. I don't even know where to begin. I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to transform the Os into Zr and turn the Kr and H into Sr and Y, but I can't even imagine a conveyer line that can accomplish anything resembling that.
    By Sr, you mean Nb, right?
    It's basically the same idea as Unknown Sender, only you need to grab and output each atom, after it's been fused enough. Don't want to say too much, but you can control how many times a sequence is executed with syncs.
    Edit: Super spoiler, for a look at my Nb/Y reactor.
    Wez2x.jpg

On another note, I finally got past Accidents Happen, but I had peek a bit and see what I was doing wrong. I had the right idea, but implemented it the wrong way. On the plus side, I sketched out the reactor design at work and it worked when I got home, without needing any tweaking.

ContentContext on
    edited February 2012
    I don't want to look at the completed solution just yet, but what are your inputs on the second reactor?

EDIT: Also, how are you moving stuff on and off the fusion thingy? I'm running into humungous instruction density problems.

SkyEye on

edited February 2012
    OK nvm, I think I just got it. It'll take a while to build and debug, but inspiration just struck me!

I think I was trying to do too much with the first reactor. And that was actually incredibly useful advice, thanks!

SkyEye on

No problem.

I can already tell this boss stage is going to be annoying. Up until now I haven't had to use any controls, but the random factor seems to make using them mandatory.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    using the manual controls always feels like cheating to me, even on levels that need them.
    I had almost beat the first boss level without them before I realized what the game was telling me to do,

SaraLuna on
    edited February 2012
    OK full disclosure I just peeked at the solution you posted to see what your inputs were, thank you so fucking much. Just seeing the inputs made me realize that I was just failing to realize something absolutely completely obvious in retrospect.

EDIT: And here's what I came up with! Not nearly as efficient as Context's solution but considering the trouble I was running into I'm not complaining.
    SpaceChem5-4.jpg

SkyEye on

edited February 2012
    That's how it goes, sometimes. I love how you gradually learn the ins and outs of the game's mechanics. Those eureka moments are priceless. Looking at that reactor, I just realized I should be able to start the second half of the sequence, before dropping off the Y, allowing for a tighter track. Time to do some optimizing.

Edit: That saved exactly 0 cycles. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
    Double Edit: The problem was with the other reactor. Sped that one up and now my 2 reactor solution is at 1812 cycles. Saved ~200 cycles.

ContentContext on
    That's a pretty solid reactor. Bonding the H's probably shortens the pipeline to that reactor, though it's gotta slow down the first reactor a bit.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I loved this when it came out, then I got stuck on one of the challenges (the creating H2SO4 one, going green i think it's called) and hadn't picked this up in a while. Then my son fell asleep on me and only left me with a mouse so I booted it up and had another look, and bam the solution came to me.

So I'm back into my spacecheming now.

This is such a great game.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Welcome back!

Don't Fear the Reaper wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Doing some the ResearchNet puzzles certainly helped. I know these last puzzles will be tough, but getting this close to the end feels good.

Apparently on sale on the ipad for $2, according to the IOS games thread.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    Oh my god. If you use the scroll wheel while hovering the cursor over a button, it acts like a mouse click. Useful if you want to quickly flip through ResearchNet pages.

Incredibly useful when using undo and redo. I like that the game saves a humungous history of reactor designs.

EDIT: And apparently using it too much crashes the game. Perfect.

SkyEye on

Gotta stay on the ball. I fire it up and see you've taken some of my top spots, so I have to go in and reclaim the lead. Though ending up one cycle ahead is strangely satisfying.

Yeah, take that, Bha Shogth! Not even space Egyptians can stand up to alchemical lasers that glow on the visible spectrum!

I'm also finally seeing the drop-off point where people apparently stopped playing the game, if these leaderboards are accurate...

I got stuck on the fusion reactor where you had to make the 3 different elements from KR + water. I just can't work out how to make the different elements without a selector block in the fusion reactor.

steam_sig.png
    Look further up this page, for some hints on that one.

I've been going slower, but I believe there's only one stage on the last planet, so I ony have 4 stages left. 7 to get all the cheevos.

edited February 2012
    "Falling" was probably the hardest the game has been for me in a while, though Flidais is getting back to that same level of difficulty.

Context, I'm surprised you haven't beat the Au-608 mission, considering how consistently you've just been dethroning my top scores on Atropos Station within 24 hours of my posting them.

SkyEye on

Look further up this page, for some hints on that one.

I've been going slower, but I believe there's only one stage on the last planet, so I ony have 4 stages left. 7 to get all the cheevos.

Yea, that's what I thought you had to do, I just couldn't work out how to get it together. I probably just needed a long break from it like I did with the H2SO4 one, maybe I'll have a look tonight.

I think the other problem is I look at these at about 1am in the morning when my son wakes up and I've got nothing else to do ;)

steam_sig.png
    SkyEye wrote: »
    "Falling" was probably the hardest the game has been for me in a while, though Flidais is getting back to that same level of difficulty.

Context, I'm surprised you haven't beat the Au-608 mission, considering how consistently you've just been dethroning my top scores on Atropos Station within 24 hours of my posting them.

I just skipped it, when I first encountered it, then forgot about it. I'll tackle it eventually.

So I finally got my H2O splitter -> throwing the Hs out -> fusing the Os to Zr -> then sending that along reactor to work.

Now to get the other one going.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Finally got Σ-Ethylene to work. Fixed pipelines are work of evil but actually make sense in story context, which is pretty sensible way to increase challenge. Dunno how to get started on Δ-Pseudopolyethylene, which is difficult enough to spell let alone make in-game.

Also,
    Ω-Pseudoethyne (ΩH3CH)

A simple organic compound containing elements unknown to science. Highly poisonous and often described as "tasting like blue" by those unfortunate enough to inhale it.

The fire diamond is all question marks.

SkyEye on

Oh, btw for the rest of the month you can get a limited edition physical (!) copy of the game through kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2131152481/spacechem-limited-edition

I've been getting back into Spacechem, because of recent events. Mainly its inclusion in the latest Humble Bundle and the announcement of a mini-tournament, for PAX(can't go, sadly). Haven't made any progress in the main campaign, but managed to do a few more Research.net levels.

I also just found out that, over the past few weeks, there have been regular tournaments, via the Something Awful forums. I was wondering if anyone here would want to do something similar. They've been doing custom levels. I'd be fine with either that or picking random stuff from Research.net. Anyone up for it?

Results for week 4 came out. I was pretty proud of getting my solution for challenge 9 down to 900 cycles, but the competition over there is pretty fierce. Got 23rd place, for both challenges. Nifty results video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrUNFS3FiGQ

Gonna keep going with these. For anyone interested in trying out this weeks challenges, here they are.

Least Cycles
    H4sIALKURFAA/2WRy2rDMBBFf6Vo1UIMM/Ir2HRRsukmtKtuShduMo4NimT0KKTB/vZKkxRSuj
    lcXUZ3ZqSzGPUUfPZtNDnRnAUksBeP72dxNIp2QZFoxJb8cFKk2+cF5KZFWSG0IDFSSgQQK7Ez
    QXvRoJw/5nklTPD/w28SX9+e2s0C6xiIC1QvCxStxAoxBjJzZsEsmRWzTq3zOjZt85JZMQtmzp
    RMZEKihHQXIQ2MuE7k4TFnXbAuWVes66ShThpKZs7EyJtlIa06dC5TnT1QdllaNN4GWolPo/dk
    s2ttcSl0pJ2xvyXJ6YOjP4ab1Oh98vpOuavpSdFk7K3tT1N6SUuOOrsb4li6O17f9u5ePxYP0e
    qCH1I/se3s16ijsx/7foy/4E+igfkHl2yWiwYCAAA=
    Least Symbols
    H4sIAMqURFAA/2WRPW8CMQyG/wryzElOwsfpbu3UhYGx6hDAB1FDcsqHBEXX397EUIm2yyPl9S
    Pbcm5g3JhT8+kdRehugBWclefbDc7e0j5bgg622Q45zF6Mv5gD9dvNF8peyhaxl0KsykOIViLM
    Ye+zS9AJOb1P0xx8Tv9nPDXeXK5HcrOt0x/Ul66qNkZsBfaCKZkKWxS9EveBXGVioehRcsKUTC
    XZV+wrrjJRsb/ghCmZasH+kv0lV5m4ZH/FCVMy1Yr9NftrrjKx8ukKWG9w0rGxOhypuV8DuhQy
    zWHn3YFC83AXdzGSiz78KDUZcqQSDNrGRxJHa1KiX1YiS6MP6UlN17GeOFAkHfanspbT579HL6
    nO6VRHwquuC+2ysanEBzMMpnxTukKH0zf9Izu/LgIAAA==

I'd be keen to participate in some form of weekly challenge. Although I have no idea, nor really the inclination to learn, how to create custom levels. I'm stuck on don't fear the reaper at the moment. So far the hardest part was just finding space to put everything!

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, that one was annoying, mainly because the randomness means you have to use manual controls.

I'm fine with following SA's weekly thing, for now, plus I have a couple of ideas for puzzles.

ContentContext on
    edited September 2012
    Can anyone tell me what side gets the larger portion of the split command? I'm at work and want to take a crack at designing this week's first puzzle, but can't remember which side I need to grab.

Also, I'd post the new puzzles, but I'm on a phone. Googling "spacechem tournament" should provide a link to the SA thread. Managed to get 14th out of 20, for the single puzzle I did last week. Hoping to do better this week, since I already have the first puzzle mentally worked out.

Edit: while searching for the answer to my question, which I still haven't found, I found my way back to the tournament thread. People seem to be scratching their heads at puzzle 12. I was confused, at first, but soon realized what needed to be done. It's basically a sensing loop within a sensing loop. The way the numbers work out means I have to do the larger loop twice. Wish I could find how the splitting works, to see if I could make use of the fact that the smaller loops all split the same number of times.

Side note: I was really hoping there would be more interest here, but it doesn't like that's the case. I want to discuss the puzzles, but can't justify paying for SA forum access, considering I'm only interested in one thread.

ContentContext on
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    So, folks were talking about Don't Fear the Reaper a couple of pages ago. Which is also over a year ago. But I'll post my solution anyway, because it doesn't use a storage tank and I was rather proud of it.

Here's the reactor layout:
    ?.jpg

The top two reactors are the meat and potatoes. The bottom one is just for aiming the laser, so I won't bother with its internals.

Middle reactor, which takes in the methane atoms:
    ?.jpg

The manual controls are for shunting methane down to the aiming reactor when necessary. Otherwise, the methane is converted to NH2 and H. The NH2 goes to the next processing reactor. The spare H from each methane is fused repeatedly, using the flip flops in the lower left to count, until it becomes N. Then it's bonded with the next two spare hydrogren, resulting in another NH2 to send along.

Top reactor, which takes in NH2 from the middle reactor:
    ?.jpg

This one fuses NH2 into F, stashing the fluorides in various places around the reactor. Once it has three fluorides, it takes the nitrogen from the next NH2 and combines it with the fluorides to make NF3, which fuels the laser. This leaves one H2 to fire the laser.

No waste products, and the laser fires pretty much constantly at full power. Onward to Flidais!

The real Spacechem starts here.

Came back to this recently and made some progress. I finished KOHCTPYKTOP and Ethylene. I thought I had done alright with the former, but then I looked online and saw the 3 reactor, 3k cycle solutions. I know the one of my reactors in the latter is a mess, so there are definitely savings to be had there. Still, progress is progress.

Also, a lot of the puzzles from the SA tournament I participated in are now on Researchnet.

Resurrect, for interested parties.

So, that tournament I was in a while back? There's another one, starting tomorrow. Thought some folks here might want in on the action.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to trying to make the Top 16 again this year, especially since the field has been opened up to a wider participation range. I can already guess that there's going to be some stranger puzzles than last time, so hopefully my mind will be up to it - I'm rather rusty on my SpaceChem.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    I think this is the only game I've ever played where upon completing a level I feel awesome, then I see how everyone else did and I'm right back to feeling stupid again.