As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 2/1/12: I am the Shadow. I am the Night. I am the Tiger

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Graphic Violence
X-Club #3, Dr. Nemesis takes everything to task, best Marvel book at the moment, take that Daredevil:

xclub3a.jpg

xclub3b.jpg

xclub3c.jpg

Uncanny X-Force #21, a crushing good time and Deadpool gets a nice line about van paintings:

xforceuncanny21a.jpg

xforceuncanny21b.jpg

xforceuncanny21f.jpg

That's Meggan.

Swamp Thing #6, Rudy has put Paquette out of a job with this and issue #4, and RE 4 gets mixed in this issue:

swampthing6a.jpg

swampthing6b.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Amazing Spider-Man #679 has probably Ramos' best art yet on the title, with Dan Slott continuing to show that he can write Spider-Man really well. Also the page has a bunch of great references.
    I1rM9.jpg

Action Comics #6 was a great Superman issue, with filling in a bunch of the smallville clark kent history. The back-up was pretty touching too. The image is a great scene between Clark and Pa Kent.
    ihlE7.jpg

Venom #13 was a great starting chapter to the event, And I really enjoyed (even though it was kinda cliche) the way they brought the four together at the end.
    XRxBu.jpg
    VKBi7.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    is that a goddamn lolcats joke in spider-man.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it does appear to be

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Invincible #88
    Mark as patient zero was a huge surprise. I really have no idea how this will end up playing out but I'm excited to see what kind of stories this will lead to.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Get some Winter Soldier in here

That issue was beautiful

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Winter Soldier, Defenders and Venom were all fantastic this week.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Best part about Defenders was the costume change

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    She-Hulk calling shirtless Danny "Ab Commander" had me dying

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Turambar wrote:
    Best part about Defenders was the costume change

Yeah, that was great. The Betty's costume was really cool as well. Also "Captain Abs," heh

X-Club was the best book this week though. Winter Soldier and Venom were great, and UXF had some really cool moments though it is a little down since the ending of the Dark Angel arcs. To be fair though, I don't expect Remender to get that good again so quickly, and it's not like UXF is bad right now or anything. It's still a really fun and cool book.

Solar on
  • Options
    I read the Dark Angel Part 1 HC a couple of days ago and it was amazing

Can't wait for part 2

• Options
    Actually thinking about it, the full Frightful Four (that's basically who they are) spread in Venom may be the best moment in a comic this week. Pretty hardcore team. Also I'd love to see a US Military Superhero book. Red Hulk, Venom, USAgent, perhaps Ms Marvel, who else would fit? That would be badass.

What I really want is a return of the New Invaders, to be honest.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wasn't New Invaders the best, is it your favorite TPB now?

• Options
    I loved how Venom and Rulk just stopped fighting immediately and then Rulk starts tossing around orders.

"Why should I take orders from you?"
    "I'm a general. You're a corporal."

and Flash just accepts it right off the bat, no whining.

Remender's Johnny Blaze is also fantastic. A country western John Constantine with a motorcycle. Don't really care about the new Ghost Rider though.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah I loved the dynamic between Rulk and Venom as well. Flash might be AWOL right now, but he's still army through and through. Also yeah the current Johnny Blaze is really cool. When did all that with the lady Ghost Rider happen? I've read all of Jason Aaron's run but not the stuff after it.

I hope that this little Venom mini ends with Rulk being all "why did you go AWOL son?" and then Flash tells them and then all four of those dudes go and absolutely tear the shit out of everyone threatening his family. That would be great. He can't do it himself in time to save them, but with X-23, Rulk and Ghost Rider at his back then he could totally smash up those assholes.

And then Flash gets his life back and some degree of peace with himself. He deserves it.

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Yeah I loved the dynamic between Rulk and Venom as well. Flash might be AWOL right now, but he's still army through and through. Also yeah the current Johnny Blaze is really cool. When did all that with the lady Ghost Rider happen? I've read all of Jason Aaron's run but not the stuff after it.

I hope that this little Venom mini ends with Rulk being all "why did you go AWOL son?" and then Flash tells them and then all four of those dudes go and absolutely tear the shit out of everyone threatening his family. That would be great. He can't do it himself in time to save them, but with X-23, Rulk and Ghost Rider at his back then he could totally smash up those assholes.

And then Flash gets his life back and some degree of peace with himself. He deserves it.
    Well we know he is redeemed to some degree because Cap is the one who gets him the spot on Secret Avengers.

and I didn't really follow it past the 0 issue but it seemed like in the new GR series Blaze gives up the Spirit of Vengeance but is tricked and it ends up being bound to Alejandra.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Well we know he is redeemed to some degree because Cap is the one who gets him the spot on Secret Avengers.

and I didn't really follow it past the 0 issue but it seemed like in the new GR series Blaze gives up the Spirit of Vengeance but is tricked and it ends up being bound to Alejandra.

Yeah that is true. He must sort himself to some extent then.

• Options
    i got Swamp Thing, Animal Man, OMAC, and I finally got my hands on Robots In Disguise #1. All good, Swamp Thing was the best this week.

that reveal.

• Options
    what Transformer cover did you get.

• Options
    Wheeljack. Could've gotten Bumblebee, but Wheeljack is cooler and better drawn.

• Options
    I got Wheeljack too! Cover D is for delightful, though it should have been S for Stratos.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    10 issues today, all fantastic.

Seriously, even X-Sanction was just good fun hitting stuff, and had a couple twists at the end.

I'm not even sure I could pick a single moment. Although I'm sadder than ever before to see Cornell leave Stormwatch. He left the series in a really interesting place.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Still haven't read X-Sanction yet. What were the twists?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Still haven't read X-Sanction yet. What were the twists?

They weren't anything major, but they were fun for a book that has essentially had no plot beyond the solicit blurbs until now.
    Cyclops and Hope showed up, which was unexpected. Also, something weird seems to be going on with Wolverine.

And I guess Glenn Talbot is the Red Hulk in Cable's future.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Cable used a
    Ridiculously big gun ( like even for Cable)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    My MOTW was picking up the first Locke & Key trade yesterday. I couldn't put it down and ended up reading the whole thing last night. It's fucking gooood.

• Options
    MotW for me was all of Winter Soldier. My personal anti-MotW was just now spending $50 of comiXology mostly due to getting issues 6-13 of Venom.

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote:
    MotW for me was all of Winter Soldier.
    :^:
    My personal anti-MotW was just now spending $50 of comiXology mostly due to getting issues 6-13 of Venom.
    :^:

• Options
    And I still have to get the first tpb of the new Venom series when it comes out.

• Options
    Lostprophet8Lostprophet8 Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote:
    My MOTW was picking up the first Locke & Key trade yesterday. I couldn't put it down and ended up reading the whole thing last night. It's fucking gooood.

I did this 2 weeks ago. I've got the 2nd one already and its taking every ounce of willpower for me not to blow all my money on the remaining trades. Does Locke & Key have the whole story planned out? In alot of the art, there seem to be many, many keys.

• Options
    Sharp101 wrote:

I did this 2 weeks ago. I've got the 2nd one already and its taking every ounce of willpower for me not to blow all my money on the remaining trades. Does Locke & Key have the whole story planned out? In alot of the art, there seem to be many, many keys.

Yes, it does.

The sixth volume is supposed to be the last (they're finishing up volume 5 in singles right now).

• Options
    Also The Boys #63. Major league shit's goin down.
    Frenchie get's his arm shot off in a fight, Hughie kills A-Train and Homelander kills Queen Maeve. AND Homelander is staging a coup of the US government in Vought American's name despite them not planning it.

I don't know how Ennis will drag this out 9 more issues but I'm there for every one.

• Options
    Lostprophet8Lostprophet8 Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    Sharp101 wrote:

Yes, it does.

The sixth volume is supposed to be the last (they're finishing up volume 5 in singles right now).

Is each trade a volume? That seems short to me. I was assuming it would be longer.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Through the magic of ComiXology I have just purchased the first Locke&Key. Going to bed, will spend my day off tomorrow reading it.

MOTW so far: Reading the first issue of Hellboy via the internet for free. Will be buying some shortly I suspect.

• Options
    Through the magic of ComiXology I have just purchased the first Locke&Key. Going to bed, will spend my day off tomorrow reading it.

MOTW so far: Reading the first issue of Hellboy via the internet for free. Will be buying some shortly I suspect.

Once the second volume of Locke & Key goes up on Comixology, I will probably buy 1-3.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Welp, ComiXology appears to be undergoing maintenance. So no Locke&Key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1hM-k3aUY

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    X-Club and Defenders are full of great moments.

I don't know what the blurbs at the bottom of the Defenders pages are all about, but they're awesome.
    HEY THAT TIGER IS FLYING A SPACESHIP

Also, the
    erasure of Nul
    made me want to draw a smiley face in the empty space.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    The Strange Talent of Luthor Strode #5 was super brutal. I'm not really that sure how I feel about it, it's still a good series and the violence has been there and explicit from the start, so they can say "well, it was clear from the very first page how this was going to go," but at the same time, the little author comments page at the end suggested that a) it would get worse next issues and b) it would hopefully hit home because we care about these people, which suggests that we are going to see more violence against major main characters.
    I say more because Pete in this issue has had his fingers removed and it suggests that he was raped, or possibly castrated. Again, with how this series had went so far when the bad guy turned up at Luthor's Mum's house and Pete was there, I expected one or both of them to get brutally mutilated or murdered, because that's the kind of series this is, and I know that. No complaints. It does seem a little excessive though, and I don't want all the supporting cast to go the way of the dodo just to shock the reader. That would kind of suck.

Also Petra is cool but her fearless taunting of those gangers seemed pretty false. Like, I can accept that she is being made into a strong female character, but I would expect anyone short of, like, the Punisher, who was tied down to a chair by a bunch of gangers who promise to do horrible things to them to be scared. That Petra wasn't at all isn't bad but, eh, it seemed a little forced. I can get that she is a tough cookie, but at the same time Pete was trying to fight that dude. He was fucked up, and clearly terrified, but he gave it his best shot anyway and was pretty brave. That's more what her scene should have been like, because it really did seem a lot more "fuck yeah you tell him Pete!" than Petra's blaze indifference.

But apart from that, still a good series, and I'll definitely be picking up the last issue in order to see what happens.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    On Luther Strode #5;
    I don't think Pete was raped, though that is how I initially read the librarian's threats to "fuck" him. I think it was the more general "fuck," as in to fuck someone up.

And I have to say, I enjoyed the scene with Pete and Luther's mom. Too often in comics, civilians are cannon fodder that can only scream or die in the face of stronger threats. But here, both characters seem fully realized enough to actually have agency within the story, and respond proactively to a threat. Even Petra, who's tied to a chair at the opening of the story, has managed to get a shard of glass, and start cutting through her ropes, before Luther even arrives to save her. I enjoy that kind of stuff.

On Petra, I agree that her character's a bit too super-badass-girl, but it's also been present there from the beginning. She's a bit too much of the perfect, manic pixie dream girl. But, I think we do see that facade break a bit with this issue, where Luther literally tears someone's face off, and throws it into the hallway where she's waiting, causing her to faint.

That said, I think the last few issues didn't move the story as much as I'd have liked. I'm curious to see how things wrap up, considering that I'm pretty sure Justin Jordan has said he has sequels planned.

• Options
    Munch wrote:
    On Luther Strode #5;
    I don't think Pete was raped, though that is how I initially read the librarian's threats to "fuck" him. I think it was the more general "fuck," as in to fuck someone up.

And I have to say, I enjoyed the scene with Pete and Luther's mom. Too often in comics, civilians are cannon fodder that can only scream or die in the face of stronger threats. But here, both characters seem fully realized enough to actually have agency within the story, and respond proactively to a threat. Even Petra, who's tied to a chair at the opening of the story, has managed to get a shard of glass, and start cutting through her ropes, before Luther even arrives to save her. I enjoy that kind of stuff.

On Petra, I agree that her character's a bit too super-badass-girl, but it's also been present there from the beginning. She's a bit too much of the perfect, manic pixie dream girl. But, I think we do see that facade break a bit with this issue, where Luther literally tears someone's face off, and throws it into the hallway where she's waiting, causing her to faint.

That said, I think the last few issues didn't move the story as much as I'd have liked. I'm curious to see how things wrap up, considering that I'm pretty sure Justin Jordan has said he has sequels planned.
    The scene with Pete and Luthor's Mum was great, which is what I am saying, it just kind of highlighted how the same scene with Petra was not as good because like you said she seems too super-badass. And while the whole damsal in distress thing is something they are actively trying to avoid here, I do think if you go to far you just make her seem forced. She was a bit manic pixie but at the same time I think it was more that she was a pretty forward girl who thought Luthor was hot and wanted a piece of that, not that she was the woman that was going to change his life or teach him how to love or anything like that.

If Justin Jordan does have sequels planned, then I double hope that he doesn't kill off supporting characters, because that would suck, and I do want to keep getting them because like I said I do enjoy the series.

• Options
    Also talking about good comics this week, I enjoyed Defenders #3 a lot as I have already said

I think that in recent years the Avengers have kind of shied away from those old stories in the 70's and 80's where the entire universe would be at stake and they were fighting omnipotent super-beings and so on. You know, like Infinity Gauntlet and the Beyonder stuff and that Avengers arc where all of reality is destroyed except for, like, one house that the Avengers are in.

Which is a shame, because I love that kind of thing. And I think that while it definitely has been in the pages of some books, like FF and Chaos War and the cosmic books, that kind of weird, cosmic, far out stuff has still been a little on the down low. And that the Defenders has come back and is doing this really bigt, far-out, high-concept kind of thing that feels like a classic Defenders story is really cool.

Also the various characters are great (never read any books with Red She-Hulk before, I like her a lot), Iron Fist, Namor, Dr Strange and the Silver Surfer have always been favourites of mine, and their voices seem very cool and spot on, or at least very interesting where Fraction has changed them.

Anyway, definitely worth the excitement I had going into the series, and I am looking forward to what happens next with great anticipation.