As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Podcasts

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I've just started listening to the Nerdist starting with the first episode, and it turns out I still love Lennon, the podcast guesting superstar.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    An-D wrote:
    I also recently tried out The Comedy Button. Its five games with some relation to the video game industry (most of them anyway) but they talk about everything and have some weird crazy stories. I laugh A LOT when listening.

I enjoy this show too. Yes it is childish. Yes it is occasionally grating. But most of the time it makes me laugh super hard. I do wish that some of the guys would take more a back seat instead of dominating the podcast... but they're only 11 episodes in so there is plenty of time to work on that balance.

Definitely suggest it if you aren't easily offended and enjoy laughing and bizarre true life stories.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    The final Bugle from the Times is up. They said the upcoming non-Times episodes should appear in the feed you're currently subscribed to, so that's nice. And they promised the first one of those should appear next week!

New favorite: improv4humans (from Earwolf). I've been listening since the beginning, and I like it more and more. Long-form improv from dudes who've never let me down.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:
    The final Bugle from the Times is up. They said the upcoming non-Times episodes should appear in the feed you're currently subscribed to, so that's nice. And they promised the first one of those should appear next week!

New favorite: improv4humans (from Earwolf). I've been listening since the beginning, and I like it more and more. Long-form improv from dudes who've never let me down.

So glad they've found someone else. I know Maximum Fun gave them an offer, it'll be interesting to see who they went with.

improv4humans is kinda hit-or-miss, but the hits are amazing so I don't really mind.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote:
    Elki wrote:

So glad they've found someone else. I know Maximum Fun gave them an offer, it'll be interesting to see who they went with.

improv4humans is kinda hit-or-miss, but the hits are amazing so I don't really mind.

For now they're independent, as I understand things.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Technology fails predictably often of course. Just found the new Bugle feed.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hooray! Long live the new Bugle!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    New episode of Hardcore History is up, for any Carlinites interested.

• SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    I enjoy the daily Carolla podcast, the latest with Patton Oswalt is great. Not sure the hate from the AV Club on this podcast, it's daily, free and entertaining as hell. Still can't beat Comedy Bang Bang and Doug Loves Movies podcasts. Nerdist is alright, but I'd rather listen to Todd Glass's podcast any day over Chris Hardwicks, he's just a crazy funny old bastard. Deathsquad has some good stuff comedy wise, but you might have to dig a bit before you find the best stuff. All this stuff helps the days at work go by ;)

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The latest doug loves movies is amazing, I won't say any more.

I decided to try the indoor kids again, and it is much better now. The new cohost Emily keeps Kumahl in line, and there is less making fun of fandoms they don't understand. It's quite a decent games podcast now!

Edit: afaik the Carolla hate comes from his frequent homphobic comments.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    New episode of Hardcore History is up, for any Carlinites interested.

He claims he's going to try to get more episodes out this year, but we'll see about that :P

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've listened to the first two episodes of the Smoking Tire podcast, and while entertaining I could do with more actual car talk and lot less pot smoking. Any recommendations for a good car and/or autosport podcasts?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    I'll go ahead and just leave this here. http://www.earwolf.com/episode/analyze-phish-episode-4/

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Radiolab has become my favoritest podcast ever. Something absolutely fascinating all the time and a fantastic presentation. You get the sense that they want to spend the amount of time required to cover a subject and tell a story but that they also value your time.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    Analyse phish 4 was incredible

steam_sig.png
    plufim wrote:

Totally fucked up Harris was amazing

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    As was sober Harris commenting on fucked up Harris.

steam_sig.png
    Sirson wrote:
    Not sure the hate from the AV Club on this podcast, it's daily, free and entertaining as hell.

A lot of podcasters, including my favorites, always use that (free) caveat when responding to criticism. I won't bother to tell, say, Doug Benson how I feel about that; I think he's great and probably doesn't care what I have to say about that.

But it really doesn't matter. Almost everything of what many people consume is free or next to free. I have months' worth of podcasts to listen to, just in my subscription library. And what am I really paying for that the one shitty song I listen to on Spotify? The homeless around my downtown office hardly ever charge for their speeches, but sometimes it's just played out. We've all heard the one about the moon.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Behemoth wrote:
    plufim wrote:

"Again, no recollection."

I kind of want to go to a Phish concert, now.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    plufim wrote:
    The latest doug loves movies is amazing, I won't say any more.

What I need now is an episode with the cast of that episode + Nick Kroll, Bobby Bottle Sevice, and El Chupacabra.

The Six Guests of Not Christmas.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Elki wrote:
    Behemoth wrote:
    plufim wrote:

"Again, no recollection."

I kind of want to go to a Phish concert, now.

And take all the drugs. Apparently they sort of cancel each other out :P

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited February 2012
    Scott Auckerman and Harris Whittels have insane banter. I could listen to them talk about anything really.

Sirson on
    edited February 2012
    Sirson wrote:
    Scott Auckerman and Harris Whittels have insane banter. I could listen to them talk about anything really.
    AkdiCx2CQAEd8Ql.jpg

Sirson on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Late to the party, but Girl on Guy with Jon Benjamin's story? Holy. Crap.

I'm never renting a car again without intense paranoia. I might end up with the car he used.

Also, so many nice suggestions in this thread, I'm trying a bunch now. Thanks!

Haha, the coconut water.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Late to the party, but Girl on Guy with Jon Benjamin's story? Holy. Crap.

I'm never renting a car again without intense paranoia. I might end up with the car he used.

Also, so many nice suggestions in this thread, I'm trying a bunch now. Thanks!

I want to share that story with everyone (in the world).

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I love Bobby Bottle Service so much.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The Todd Glass Show has jumped up to join Walking the Room as my favorite podcast. If you like Todd's over-saturation of bits and tangents, it's great, but I can definitely see how it's not for everyone. I'm re-listening to the Norm MacDonald episode (well, part 1, before Rory Scovel shows up), and I love how subdued Norm is compared to Todd and Daniel Kinno (who apparently got bumped for Dane Cook's recent "chainsaw-fuck a whore" set).

re: Indoor Kids: Emily is definitely a better co-host than the other one (Aly Baker, I want to say?) - the show is much more focused. They actually seem to have discussions about "big-picture" aspects of video games rather than "I really like Skyrim and hate Call of Duty" (even though there is still some of that - Kumail seems to at least give reasons now as opposed to just knee-jerk reaction statements).

I've also started listening to You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes (or, as he likes to call it, "What the Heck?"). It's a pretty standard interview show with comedians, no crazy characters or Marc-Maron-style airing of grievances. Holmes is a nice guy who likes to talk about "comedy nerd" stuff with other comedy nerd comedians - I'd recommend starting with either the Marc Maron or Jim Gaffigan episodes, but the TJ Miller one (and the bonus ep where TJ talks about the above-mentioned Dane Cook set) is one of my favorites.

Other new stuff: Big Pop Fun with Tom Wilson - not really *new* (it's on episode 11 now), but it's got Tom Wilson (Biff from Back to the Future) talking to other entertainment people - and not the usual roster of podcast guests. A lot of voice actors and Steve Oedekirk (or however it's spelled - it's not Bob from Mr. Show).

And Analyze Phish 4 was amazing. Luckily, Scott still doesn't like Phish, so there's still hope for episode 5! :D Plus, he was a French dude, you know?

dj.subversive on
    Now that Comedy Bang Bang is going to be a TV show I might have to finally surrender and get IFC. Goddamn you, Scott!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Nappuccino wrote:
    An-D wrote:
    I also recently tried out The Comedy Button. Its five games with some relation to the video game industry (most of them anyway) but they talk about everything and have some weird crazy stories. I laugh A LOT when listening.

I enjoy this show too. Yes it is childish. Yes it is occasionally grating. But most of the time it makes me laugh super hard. I do wish that some of the guys would take more a back seat instead of dominating the podcast... but they're only 11 episodes in so there is plenty of time to work on that balance.

Definitely suggest it if you aren't easily offended and enjoy laughing and bizarre true life stories.

I just recently started listening to the Comedy Button as well. They have hilarious stories when they were teenagers, and some of the remarks they make have left me laughing out loud which is extremely rare from a podcast.

Scott Bromley on that show can suck a dick, though. Tries too hard, suffocates/dominates the mic, and overall seems like a true sleazebag. Jokes about banging/raping low self-esteem chicks but it doesn't seem too far from home when I remember that his current girlfriend is Vietnamese.

E: Also they raised something like 40k with their kickstarter donations? I don't knoiw the number but I sincerely hope all that went to sound equipment or charity, not a fuckhead's wallet.

McAllen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:
    Now that Comedy Bang Bang is going to be a TV show I might have to finally surrender and get IFC. Goddamn you, Scott!

IFC already puts Portlandia on Hulu, they'll probably do the same with Comedy Bang Bang

Going to see John Oliver tonight. Should be fun.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    I'm going to see Andy Zaltzman on Tuesday!

steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
    The Todd Glass Show has jumped up to join Walking the Room as my favorite podcast. If you like Todd's over-saturation of bits and tangents, it's great, but I can definitely see how it's not for everyone. I'm re-listening to the Norm MacDonald episode (well, part 1, before Rory Scovel shows up), and I love how subdued Norm is compared to Todd and Daniel Kinno (who apparently got bumped for Dane Cook's recent "chainsaw-fuck a whore" set).

Todd Glass show is great, and it's basically 2 hours of free comedy every week. Easily one of my top 3 podcasts. He is one funny old dude. It doesn't even matter who is guests are, he will beat the fun out of them.

Speaking of Glass, The latest comedy bang bang was great too. Todd Glass and Weird Al and a funny guest.. uhh yes please.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/grammy-spectacular/

edited March 2012
    It's been a while, but a few things: the second live podcuddle from walking the room has the greatest and most horrifying story ever told within it.

However, the reason to bump today: a new episode of "You Look Nice Today" was just posted, after a 1.5 year hiatus. Great, great comedy podcast. While the latest one is not their best, it was still pretty darn good. Definitely recommend everyone check it out!

http://youlooknicetoday.com/

A good starting episode would probably be "Guaranteed Morrie". There's only 39 episodes, sadly.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I've started listening to Greg Proop's smartest man in the room podcast, which is a mixture of stand up, stream of consciousness all wrapped up in a series of loose episodic themes. It is pretty good and on the strength of the show I've booked tickets to see him perform in London at the end of March

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I've started listening to Greg Proop's smartest man in the room podcast, which is a mixture of stand up, stream of consciousness all wrapped up in a series of loose episodic themes. It is pretty good and on the strength of the show I've booked tickets to see him perform in London at the end of March

Yes! This is one of my favorite podcasts. Sometimes it has a bit too much of the "boring preachy part" (in his own words) but it's usually amazing.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I'm not sure whether foreigners can access the BBC podcasts, but if you guys can I highly recommend the Reith lecture archives. They were started in 1947 to pursue the vision that broadcasting should enrich the cultural and intellectual life of the nation.

Last year there were lectures on the subject of freedom by Aung San Suu Kyi and Elisa Manningham-Buller (the former Director of MI5).

So, Two Charted. Who's listening?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Anyone else listen to Keith and the Girl?

I can understand why some people wouldn't like it but I find it hilarious.