As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another zany idea?

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
I don't know hard this would be to code, but what if all new members, upon first signing on to the forums recieved a welcome PM with links to the rules threads, and maybe a top 10 list of the most common crimes comitted.

Raijin Quickfoot on

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Would be easy to code, but you might as well edit the message that people "read" before clicking "I'm over 13".

People are just as likely to read that as an automated PM

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    I think it's a good idea.

Mind you, I would miss berating the new people, that is if they miraculously decide to read the PM.

Meiz on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    I have an idea, but its still in the works....

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Would be easy to code, but you might as well edit the message that people "read" before clicking "I'm over 13".

Yes. How many people actually read the full EULA's or Software Licence Agreements before clicking Yes when installing software? That's almost exactly like the "I'm over 13" area to most...

There is no real surefire way I think.

Unless there was a quiz on it or whatnot. heh...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2004

Mayonnaise on.... hamburgers?!?!

Meiz on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Legacy wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:

Yes. How many people actually read the full EULA's or Software Licence Agreements before clicking Yes when installing software? That's almost exactly like the "I'm over 13" area to most...

There is no real surefire way I think.

Unless there was a quiz on it or whatnot. heh...

I do. But I'm aware most don't. But my point is if they don't read a couple of paragraphs there, they're not going to read an automated PM

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    waynewayne Registered User regular
    edited February 2004

OOH! DO TELL!

wayne on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    wayne wrote:

OOH! DO TELL!

Or I'll CUT YOU

Obbi on
  • Options
    Vince...Vince... Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    I once saw this site that gave the little warning paragaph thing and then had the "Click to Enter" thingy. But when you clicked it, it put you to a thing that said "You obviously didn't read the paragraph very carefully, go back and do it again." And then in the actual paragraph was a non-underlined link to the actual site in a sentence that was like "Please click here to get in." and the word here was the link, but it didn't look like a link. It was cool, made you think... And read...

Just a thought...

Vince... on
    ohsnapussmall.jpg Updated 6/18/2005 New Music
  • Options
    StevenSteven Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Vince... wrote:
    I once saw this site that gave the little warning paragaph thing and then had the "Click to Enter" thingy. But when you clicked it, it put you to a thing that said "You obviously didn't read the paragraph very carefully, go back and do it again." And then in the actual paragraph was a non-underlined link to the actual site in a sentence that was like "Please click here to get in." and the word here was the link, but it didn't look like a link. It was cool, made you think... And read...

Just a thought...

Damn, that's really smart.

Steven on
  • Options
    Texas Carnie RoadshowTexas Carnie Roadshow Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Vince... wrote:

Just a thought...
    I love those, and not enough sites use them.

Texas Carnie Roadshow on
    oderint dum metuant
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Thanks for the idea vince. Its a good thought I might combine with my current idea....

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    what rules is someone supposed to get upon signup. there are no set rules for all the forums. I mean there are common rules, but they still differ from place to place.

futility on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    A far zanier idea. Give SE back its "Here Be Mosters" tag.

Or just change the entire name of the forum

Orthanc on
    orthanc