As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Capcom 2D Fighter -> Sengoku Basara Cross (screenshots!)

Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
2d_kakutou.png

saw this news over at Insert Credit and didn't see a thread

so theres apparently a new 2D fighting game in the works from Capcom. theres a teaser at this website, but it doesnt show anything and its in japanese. there is a very large "2D!" in there somewhere though.

so... im pretty excited about this personally. i guess it'll be a lot easier to get excited once theres actually some information but yknow.

edit: i think this was already discussed some in the fighting games thread, but this scan from Famitsu confirms this to be Sengoku Basara Cross based on the Sengoku Basara (Devil Kings) property. its being developed by Arc Systems Works.

11300noscale84601770174xt6.jpg

Ah_Pook on

• FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

so theres apparently a new 2D fighting game in the works from Capcom. theres a teaser at this website, but it doesnt show anything and its in japanese. there is a very large "2D!" in there somewhere though.

so... im pretty excited about this personally. i guess it'll be a lot easier to get excited once theres actually some information but yknow.

I like how the thread title encapsulates everything we know at the moment.

That's EFFICIENCY!

Also: yay?

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

I like how the thread title encapsulates everything we know at the moment.

That's EFFICIENCY!

Also: yay?

I already know what it is. It is Street Fighter IV. What I don't know is the rest, who, where, when. I can guess at the why, and I know how.

I heard this through back channels a few weeks ago. I trust the news as far as I can throw it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mrgilmoreanmrgilmorean Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have heard so many SF4 rumors (please, please be true this time) that I am very wary.

Still, hope is hard to kill.

mrgilmorean on
    edited July 2007
    Not only am I fairly sure that it is SF 4, I will give pretty good money that it is going to be big on the Wii. They could do some interesting things with waggle, but there is also a very nice Hori pad in the pipeline as to not offend the old timers.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • skullieskullie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I already know what it is. It is Street Fighter IV. What I don't know is the rest, who, where, when. I can guess at the why, and I know how.

I heard this through back channels a few weeks ago. I trust the news as far as I can throw it.

Well, what's the news written on?

skullie on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    in the IC news post about this they have a link to this page at AM-Net, which purports that it will be based on Sengoku Basara, is being developed by ARC System Works, and should be premiered in August. take this as you will, i really cant comment on AM-Net's reliability or anything.

Ah_Pook on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Capcom usually reserves the roman numerals for the more groundbreaking titles. Street Fighter fans are generally pretty purist so I don't see them adding wand controls to SF and calling it a sequel. The Wii is a better testing ground for new ideas and IP than mega-ton sequels.

I hope that Capcom does SFIV in 2.5D, cell shaded to look like anime.

FreddyD on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    skullie wrote: »

A football.

anable on
    edited July 2007
    anable wrote: »
    skullie wrote: »

A football.

My source is fourth hand at best, and I don't even know if that is the end of it. Just don't be surprised if you do hear news of it soon, and don't be shocked if you don't. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    HD SF4 60 FPS

JJ on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not only am I fairly sure that it is SF 4, I will give pretty good money that it is going to be big on the Wii. They could do some interesting things with waggle, but there is also a very nice Hori pad in the pipeline as to not offend the old timers.

I really hope they don't make the fighting "waggle" only.

As much of a Nintendo Fanboy I am; I'd hate to see more fighting games go for the waggle stuff. Although the DBZ game worked well for it, but I don't see much more than that.

urahonky on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As much as I like my Wii, they'd be crucified if it went waggle. There's nothing more vindictive and vehement than an old Street Fighter fan: Forward, Down, Down-Forward, Punch.

Brolo on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    As much as I like my Wii, they'd be crucified if it went waggle. There's nothing more vindictive and vehement than an old Street Fighter fan: Forward, Down, Down-Forward, Punch.

Imagine doing that with the Wii-Mote...

Hmm...

*tries it*

Okay it's not that bad, but it should still only be played by a controller.

urahonky on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm sure this'll be a new propertity, and not a sequel or use any previously made characters. (unless as an easter egg)

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I really hope they don't make the fighting "waggle" only.

As much of a Nintendo Fanboy I am; I'd hate to see more fighting games go for the waggle stuff. Although the DBZ game worked well for it, but I don't see much more than that.

It would be optional if anything, the new Guilty Gear game let's you choose between waggle and classic control styles, much like RE4.

Personally I would love to see a nice smooth 2D fighter from Capcom in HD as other posters have mentioned, that would be nice.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not counting the incremental upgrades and re-releases, what was the last 2D fighter by Capcom? MvC2?

emnmnme on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I owe a friend 5 bucks.

Meiz on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Not counting the incremental upgrades and re-releases, what was the last 2D fighter by Capcom? MvC2?

Capcom Fighting Evolution, 2004

Ah_Pook on
  • EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't count on this being a sequel. It does say ' a new original 2D fighting game' or something along those lines. While it COULD be a sequel, it might be a new property. Which would be cool.

edit: If it was a sequel, I'd rather a Darkstalker, or Rival Schools sequel appear then SF4.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't count on this being a sequel. It does say ' a new original 2D fighting game' or something along those lines. While it COULD be a sequel, it might be a new property. Which would be cool.

edit: If it was a sequel, I'd rather a Darkstalker, or Rival Schools sequel appear then SF4.

Fuck you, SF4 ftw. I'll kill your dog. All your dogs.

Seriously though, this news has me excited. I doubt it's SF4, but I hope it is.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If they're going to do a sequel at this point, I'd rather it be a sequel to cvs2 than anything else. Take out all the SNK characters, throw in fei long, t-hawk, dee jay, ingrid, karin, guy, gen, ibuki, dudley, elena, makoto, adon, gallon, lillith, hayato, maybe a few more random characters like Jill Valentine, the playable warzard guys, etc. Replace S, N, K groves with a darkstalkers combo groove, a warzard groove, etc. Call it capcom anthology or something.

In all likelyhood though any further streetfighter works will be in high res and based on the new sf2:turbo sprites.

Jealous Deva on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If it's a new SF, just please let it finally make use of the Alpha cast.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2007
    Man, I'm pretty sure a Street Fighter 4 could sell based on brand-name recognition alone.

The highest quality hand-drawn 2D sprites, going back to the "international fighters" theme that SF2 had rather than the "Bizzare monsters/robots" thing that SF3 had going.

Brolo on
  • KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If they're going to do a sequel at this point, I'd rather it be a sequel to cvs2 than anything else. Take out all the SNK characters, throw in fei long, t-hawk, dee jay, ingrid, karin, guy, gen, ibuki, dudley, elena, makoto, adon, gallon, lillith, hayato, maybe a few more random characters like Jill Valentine, the playable warzard guys, etc. Replace S, N, K groves with a darkstalkers combo groove, a warzard groove, etc. Call it capcom anthology or something.

In all likelyhood though any further streetfighter works will be in high res and based on the new sf2:turbo sprites.

New sprites? D:
    I only haven't kept up with SF so I don't know when the last rerelease of SF2 was.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
    edited July 2007
    Karn wrote: »

New sprites? D:
    I only haven't kept up with SF so I don't know when the last rerelease of SF2 was.

Er, sometime last month on the Virtual Console :P

Brolo on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Karn wrote: »

New sprites? D:

There is going to be a remake of SSF2Turbo for Xbox Live and PS3 Network with highres sprites like this:

522406933_78f4d17560_o.jpg

Coming out in the fall.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, what is with his thumbs.

Pb on
    edited July 2007
    Took him years of training to get his thumbs like that.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dude hes got an extra joint thats far beyond extra training.

He has evolved to a new level of humanity!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait...wait...wait....

There was a Street Fighter 3?!?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Wait...wait...wait....

There was a Street Fighter 3?!?

Sad thing is, I'm pretty good at Double Impact and yet I forgot about III's existance every once in awhile. After 5+ 2 games and about as many Alpha titles, one tends to forget that they ever got that far.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You call that a teaser trailer? It's Japanese words on a flame background. With flame sounds.

For all we know Capcom could be holding a barbecue.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    You call that a teaser trailer? It's Japanese words on a flame background. With flame sounds.

A 2D BBQ!

4rch3nemy on
  • DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    meatflower wrote: »

A 2D BBQ!

As long as they have fresh meat.

Dirtchamber on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    People, people, c'mon. If they release a 2D fighter on the Wii, they're going to support the Classic Controller.

Why would they only give you waggle in a technical 2D fighter? At worst, I would expect Capcom to release a 2D fighter on the Wii with BOTH waggle and Classic Con support.

Just like Arc did with Guilty Gear Accent Core on the Wii --- waggle support and totally regular Classic Controller support.

slash000 on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh god, I just realized I have no consoles from this gen! Oh goodness, I thought this was something that was never supposta happen?

This had better be a great game. Though I doubt Capcom would invest in another 2D game without some cards to play. I for one at first kinda thought it would be a new IP but thinking about it, it would make more sense for Capcom to make a new Street Fighter just for the added bonus of getting in the fans - even if its a much Street Fighter as III was. Somebody mentioned CvS3 which would be amazing - but I don't see that happening.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Call me a pessimist.. but I'm fairly sure that it's SF4 and I'm also fairly sure that it won't end up on any Nintendo platform because then I'd actually get to play it.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Call me a pessimist.. but I'm fairly sure that it's SF4 and I'm also fairly sure that it won't end up on any Nintendo platform because then I'd actually get to play it.

Heh. Street Fighter IV, PSP exclusive! "We went with the system with the best control option!"

Xenogears of Bore on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Heh. Street Fighter IV, PSP exclusive! "We went with the system with the best control option!"

Or they could bullshit it like Square "We went with the PS3 because we wanted the system with the largest audience." (this is what they actually said about FFXIII ... granted this was right before the Wii and PS3 actually hit the market so they couldn't have known really)

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My guess is that they'll finally be doing that Ghouls 'n' Ghosts fighter that everyone has been waiting for, and it will be completely impossible to beat (keeping up that trend). You'll eventually have to face that red flying demon guy, and he'll keep diving and dodging and you'll be forced to give up, or jump off the edge of the arena. Or worse.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif