As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    There's a pistol whip as well, some footage showed Shep doing a pistol whip 3-hit combo on an enemy. Presumably there'll be some disadvantage to heavy melee beyond the brief windup. Looks like enemies have melee as well as range: the second enemy is whipping out a baton right when he gets heavy melee'd. Pistol whip is about 45 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUvzDTKlQlk

Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Mass Effect!

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    fix that spoiler sir.

Done before you had this posted. :o

I love that pistol whip animation so much I probably won't even bother with heavy melee unless it's a particularly awesome attack. The little delay in animation seems it could be a bit jarring, like DXHR's takedowns.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I assume that must be like the easiest difficulty, based on quickly the enemies are reacting to shepard. Still, the combat looks a lot more fluid than ME2 or DXHR, so that's nice to see. I want to see an infiltrator with the omniblade.

also, did he have an attack dog at 32s, or is that just a random NPC varren?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Varren are equal opportunity killers.

Same thing happens when a
    Yagh the Salarians are studying breaks loose and murderizes a bunch of Cerberus.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I don't know where the AI in side missions is good or bad.
    I like that they strafe me, or pull out the shotgun, or hide behind boxes and wont come out when under fire. By like I actually mean HATE HATE HATE but secretly like because shit that's what I'm doing to them.

I don't like that they sometimes all charge you randomly with no thought as to their own personal safety presumably under sway of some sort of fanatical drug cult. I don't do that to them. Dicks.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited February 2012
    To be fair, that's probably their only actual chance of killing Shepard before he kills them. Plus that's sort of the Collector and Husk's MO when it comes to Shepard.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I don't know where the AI in side missions is good or bad.
    I like that they strafe me, or pull out the shotgun, or hide behind boxes and wont come out when under fire. By like I actually mean HATE HATE HATE but secretly like because shit that's what I'm doing to them.

I don't like that they sometimes all charge you randomly with no thought as to their own personal safety presumably under sway of some sort of fanatical drug cult. I don't do that to them. Dicks.
    i do that

i do that all the time

vanguard 4 life

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    To be fair, that's probably their only actual chance of killing Shepard before he kills them. Plus that's sort of the Collector and Husk's MO when it comes to Shepard.

No no I'm cool with husks.
    I mean they're zombies.
    Doing what zombies do.
    No hard feelings.

Trained mercenaries with ex military leaders though...

Elendil one person does not a swarm make. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The mercs in ME2 can be funny because they're kind of like lemmings: if one is in cover and another one comes up behind him, the first one will generally hop out of cover and try to move forward, or flank you if they can. This helps them in areas where they can actually flank, but in missions like thane's recruitment where it's all narrow hallways they just get pushed out of cover and into the meat grinder.

Vanguard-types will also charge you, but 'charge' usually means 'meander slowly toward shepard while firing their shotgun aimlessly'

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I haven't played either of the first two games on Insanity, but I think I'll have to do that for my first playthrough of the third one.

It just feels right.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited February 2012
    I'd rather spend my time exploring the universe and fighting like a transhuman badass instead of staring at the loading screen.

I know some folks love the challenge, but normal is just fine with me.

manwiththemachinegun on
    I'd rather spend my time exploring the universe and fighting like a transhuman badass instead of staring at the loading screen.

I know some folks love the challenge, but normal is just fine with me.

That's why they make different difficulty levels.

Also, they're pandering to people who can't play.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I haven't played either of the first two games on Insanity, but I think I'll have to do that for my first playthrough of the third one.

It just feels right.

Assuming that it's even unlocked the first playthrough.

Default difficulty is 'pandering?' that's a new one.

"Hey! Everyone! This thread descriminates against the casuals!"

I think insanity's unlocked from the start this time.

On the other hand, the game is supposed to also be a lot more difficult in general.

Hey hey, all he was saying is that the different difficulties are for people with different tastes. Some difficulties are for men and some are for pansies.

Just bringing bullshit from the other thread over here.

But really, there should only be one difficulty level. Insanity. Anything else is pandering. Also, the only class anyone should be able to pick is Vanguard.

Basically, unless the game is precisely calibrated to my desires, it's pandering.

You humans are all racist.

I can't tell the aliens from the animals

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Insanity for anything that isn't Adept.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Bethryn wrote:

I've actually been reading that it's not that bad for the Adept in ME2. You just have to play it with Heavy Singularity and Warp Ammo.

Bethryn wrote:

Adept is aces in Insanity, just ask Curly.

It's easier than Vanguard. :)

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Adept was god-king of Insanity in ME1 and is pretty good in ME2.

Singularity/Warp/Energy Drain will still basically kill everything. You just need to shoot more and never put any points into shockwave.

I've done 3 playthroughs and honestly the only bullshit section is Garrus' recruitment because you lack powers/cooldown.

Adept on normal is so ridiculously overpowered it doesn't really seem fair to the enemies.

Z0re on
    eh, it's that bad. Biotics (aside from warp) are just not effective when every enemy has 1-2 levels of protection.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    The Adept is a monster on Insanity. Singularity is incredibly good even with multiple levels of protection. It stuns enemies in place and makes them stand out of cover, allowing you to knock their protections down with gunfire/teammate biotics, which you then follow up with a Warp bomb once the shields are down.

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Basically.

Adept goes from super-god wizard to hyper-competent normal on Normal->Insanity. Pull and throw are still useful for husk killing once you strip their shields, and incredibly useful near pits still. You just can't run straight through a crowd, ramboing like a Sentinel, like you can on normal.

The only power that sucks is Shockwave, and fuck shockwave anyways.

Z0re on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    MASS EFFECT FANNNNSSSSS
    catherine_shepard_by_nobunaga_chan-d4oac5z.jpg

All the work of making that, and they get Femshep's haircolor wrong...

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    They have hair dye in the far future I'm assuming....maybe femshep decided that was more her shade. Hell, my wife changes her hair color like she changes underwear.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    The ironic part is that's probably how Garrus really views their relationship.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Black hair is the only way to make hair look decent in this engine

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote:
    Black hair is the only way to make hair look decent in this engine

Unreal 3? It's the same engine all the Mass Effects have used, with obvious improvements from Epic over time.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    yes that one

PNk1Ml4.png
    So...has Femshep not looked good in previous ME's? I don't know, I've always played a male Shepard.

hair in general looks bad in these games

dark hair helps cover up that badness, light hair makes it worse

PNk1Ml4.png
    Man, Garrus' recruitment was smooooth like butter this time. On the other hand, Grunt's recruitment gave me no end of trouble last night. Weird.

Hopefully this trend holds through Horizon.

The worst bit is that blind turn when you're closing the shutter with like, three Vorcha and a flamer and you *have* to leap that first bit of cover to advance.

Like most problems, blackhole gun makes it go away.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I wonder how fast I can complete a ME2 run on casual difficulty using the default assumptions. Probably only take about 8 hours or so, maybe a bit more if I want to throw some extra loyalty missions in (I don't really care who dies in the suicide mission outside a few characters) and so some of the DLC.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    I need to get back on my canon ME2 run, in preparation for ME3...I know I could just download an ME2 save from masseffectsaves, but I'd rather do it myself...just for the excuse to play ME2 again.

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Is an smg/shotgun infiltrator any fun? Still need more shotgun after a krogun vanguard and a shotgun sentinel. Can never have enough shotgun.

And this characters definitely going to be using this.

GnomeTank wrote:
    So...has Femshep not looked good in previous ME's? I don't know, I've always played a male Shepard.
    The default hasn't. The fact that dudeshep had a pretty good, customized default while femshep just had a basic from-parts preset really showed and kind of grated. I'm lazy at character creation, and did not much appreciate having to troll the internet for face codes just for a decent appearance. I was relieved at the really good defaults in DA2 (although the presets were also quite good) and I'm glad they're following that example in ME3.