As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    The worst bit is that blind turn when you're closing the shutter with like, three Vorcha and a flamer and you *have* to leap that first bit of cover to advance.

Like most problems, blackhole gun makes it go away.
    You can also use the missile launcher to fire around the corner. That has the bonus of being useful vs. the gunship later on, as well.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    man what they did do to the pc version of me1, there are some stuff missing, its wierd.

for instance:

during the intro, when kaiden and joker are talking, on the 360 shep usually eyes both of them, yet on a custom shep on the pc he just stares ahead, only vanderlooshep eyes them up.

YOU CAN'T DANCE AT FLUX ANYMORE.

and doing the cheating decive mission there results in doran never dancing either, in fact i havent seen him dance once yet.

im blaming it on being a port. hopefully me2/3 dont have this problem since they came out the same time as consoles.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don't think some of the blonde/burnette hairs look too bad

but any bright colored hair just looks silly

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Aegeri wrote:
    I wonder how fast I can complete a ME2 run on casual difficulty using the default assumptions. Probably only take about 8 hours or so, maybe a bit more if I want to throw some extra loyalty missions in (I don't really care who dies in the suicide mission outside a few characters) and so some of the DLC.

That sounds about right. You could knock it out in a day. I'll be doing the same thing before release just so the ME2 callbacks in ME3 resonate better than just "Oh yeah...I think I did a quest for this lady in 2010. Maybe." *punch*

Form of Monkey! on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Once I finish ME3, I'll probably do the epic back to back runthrough. ME1 -> ME2 -> ME3. ME1 might be bearable on casual difficulty. Might be. It's odd even thinking about casual difficulty: I've never played an ME game on a difficulty below hardcore before.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    ME1 on normal is only hard the first 10 levels or so. After that nothing can touch you. Unless you walk into an anti-tank rocket.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    im blaming it on being a port. hopefully me2/3 dont have this problem since they came out the same time as consoles.

You can absolutely dance at Flux on PC. I've only played these games on PC and I spent probably a tenth of my time on the citadel dancing.

Maybe you just ran into a bug.

s7Imn5J.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So just started playing #2.

Stupid question: What's the best way to determine which gun to use?

The one gun everyone agrees is OP is the Locust submachinegun you get from Kasumi's DLC. You could beat the whole game with nothing else.

Other that that it just depends what you want your gun to do, long range, short range, rapid fire constant damage, or one shot mega damage.

edited February 2012
    Yeah, and it depends on your class, as well. If you're using ARs from the start, the Vindicator you get on Archangel's recruitment is way better than the starter, so you probably want to do that mission ASAP, and keep that gun until you get a choice of weaponry at a certain point later on, where you'd be missing out if you didn't take the huge machine gun. If you're using SMGs and you don't have Kasumi, you don't get an upgrade until Haestrom in the second wave of recruitments, where you'll get the Tempest -- terrible accuracy but amazing up close and chock full of ammo. Shotguns probably vary the most on preference -- the free DLC Eviscerator is pretty strong, while the Scimitar you pick up from an Illium recruitment in second wave fires quickly, and if you can master a reload trick the one you get at the weapon choice point is pretty heavy hitting. Another Illium recruitment in the second wave gives you the rapid fire sniper rifle, which is the only sniper rifle you want as a soldier -- infiltrators may or may not prefer the one-shot starter. Mordin's recruitment will net you the only non-DLC pistol alternative, which hits heavy but is light on ammo.

If you're instead asking what gun to use situationally, ARs are good against everything and have range, sniper rifles and pistols tend to be good against armor, SMGs against barriers/shields, and shotguns typically against barriers/shields as well (or everyone if you're vanguard).

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    submachine guns and rifles (other than the vindicator) are for stripping shields/barriers. Pistols are better at going through armor (especially the carnifex.) Sniper rifles are for armor and head shotting guys. Shotguns at close range.

The locust is ridiculous if you have the DLC for it; otherwise the tempest is pretty good. I usually use the tempest, the carnifex and either the eviscerator shotgun (another dlc gun) or the mantis/widow.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Soldiers don't get to keep the Locust after picking it up, right?

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    If you get the firepower DLC, the mattock is awesome.

GnomeTank wrote:
    They have hair dye in the far future I'm assuming....maybe femshep decided that was more her shade. Hell, my wife changes her hair color like she changes underwear.
    That reminds me, it really should be possible to change some of Shepard's appearance on the Normandy. Maybe not the basic structure, but people get new hair styles and dye their hair; there are even colored contacts. And certainly Femshep should be able to change her makeup.

are soldiers bugged or something? I dunno why they wouldn't get to keep the locust

on the other hand soldiers presumably have the vindicator/revenant, so I dunno how much they'd even use it

NREqxl5.jpg
    GnomeTank wrote:
    They have hair dye in the far future I'm assuming....maybe femshep decided that was more her shade. Hell, my wife changes her hair color like she changes underwear.
    That reminds me, it really should be possible to change some of Shepard's appearance on the Normandy. Maybe not the basic structure, but people get new hair styles and dye their hair; there are even colored contacts. And certainly Femshep should be able to change her makeup.

my biggest hope for ME3 is that the character creator is set up in a more accessible way; maybe have you create your shepard and save it before the game even starts or something. Getting through the whole fucking intro in ME2 and then realizing your mouth looks weird is pretty much the worst thing

NREqxl5.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    soldiers don't get SMGs period

good Horizon run, used the Cain to clear out the Scions at the end

had some issues with Charge bugging out (I now realize what causes the occasional glitch which causes shepard to face a separate direction from the crosshairs whoo) and died once when I discovered the hard way that Stasis doesn't affect Harbinger

The Mattock is amazing and I'm so happy it's available in ME3. It has a really great feel.

It's basically the M1-Garand of the future.

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Soldiers can get the Widowmaker, though. The only reason to switch to a different gun is because you run out of ammo.

Soldiers can actually do way more damage with the Viper than the Widow due to the way Adrenaline Rush is overpowered works. There's nothing so satisfying as walking into a room and headshotting the hell out of a few mercs in the first few seconds of a fight.

s7Imn5J.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:
    So...has Femshep not looked good in previous ME's? I don't know, I've always played a male Shepard.
    The default hasn't. The fact that dudeshep had a pretty good, customized default while femshep just had a basic from-parts preset really showed and kind of grated. I'm lazy at character creation, and did not much appreciate having to troll the internet for face codes just for a decent appearance. I was relieved at the really good defaults in DA2 (although the presets were also quite good) and I'm glad they're following that example in ME3.

Yeah, duder-shep has a pretty good look to him. I've never felt any desire to change it. That default is Shepard to me now.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Really? It does pretty shitty damage and takes a long time to kill anything. I just use the burst fire assault rifle. It will kill someone in two or three bursts usually.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular

You can absolutely dance at Flux on PC. I've only played these games on PC and I spent probably a tenth of my time on the citadel dancing.

Maybe you just ran into a bug.

Pretty sure you can't dance there until you've done the quest that is in there.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Lemming wrote:
    Really? It does pretty shitty damage and takes a long time to kill anything. I just use the burst fire assault rifle. It will kill someone in two or three bursts usually.

Yeah, but Adrenaline Rush multiplies damage, and you can get several headshots in during a rush rather than the one shot Widow and slow-mo reload; plus you don't have to worry about knocking off 90% of someone's HP and/or huge overkill wastes. Plus you're missing out on the Rev, which is amazing even if only for the glorious slow-motion DAKKA DAKKA sound transition (but so much more than that), and you can always see the Widow as an infiltrator.

s7Imn5J.png
    I sometimes use the widow as a soldier actually, because that sniper rifle combined with adrenaline rush is just blatantly unfair. Though in fairness, the semi-auto sniper rifle can actually be much better DPS wise in some ways when using adrenaline rush.

Actually, adrenaline rush is just broken anyway, who cares what you're using.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    hmm quick question is it possible to get mass effect 2 dlc without doing the horrible points? steam seems to be coming up empty as is amazon

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Nope, points is the only way. They are sometimes on sale on origin though (the points). You might be able to get the DLC direct through origin also (ME1 dlc is through origin).

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    edited February 2012
    You can buy the codes off Gamestop now, but it's the same price. The only time you can get the DLC cheaper is if Bioware or, more likely, Origin has a general sale, like Kafka mentions.
    Aegeri wrote:

Yeah, definitely, use whichever is more fun! I just figure it's a small tragedy to miss out on the Rev, especially since you'll probably pick the Widow anyway if you play multiple times and try an infiltrator, where you get the slow-mo headshot effect anyway.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote:
    I sometimes use the widow as a soldier actually, because that sniper rifle combined with adrenaline rush is just blatantly unfair. Though in fairness, the semi-auto sniper rifle can actually be much better DPS wise in some ways when using adrenaline rush.

Pretty much this.

Except you should always use the Revenant, because a space M-60 is a wonderful thing.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    yeah, I don't really like the viper.
    "superior dps" be damned, I want my sniper gun to use the model "apply single bullet to face for massive damage"

and I hated the revenant. they should've just buffed it a bit and made it a heavy weapon. waste of the AR slot

If by sometimes you mean maybe once a year, sure.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    thanks for the bioware/EA info guys

i just hate trading real $$ for fake $$ which can then be traded for what i want, having unused points is one of those pet peeves

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    People keep talking about vehicle sections in ME2.

Did I miss something? I don't remember any vehicle sections.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    On my solider run, I always use the Mattock. The Mattock has such power and accuracy that I can't justify using the Revenant on anything above normal. As much as I love the Revenant for being the futuristic equivalent of the S.A.W, the Mattock outclasses it.

I'm just hoping that with the upgrade system in ME3, I can up the accuracy of the Revenant... or increase the capacity and fire-rate of the Mattock.

People keep talking about vehicle sections in ME2.

Did I miss something? I don't remember any vehicle sections.

If you download the firewalker DLC, or the Overlord DLC, you get to play through a few vehicle sections in the Hammerhead, ME2's version of the Mako.

KafkaAU wrote:
    Nope, points is the only way. They are sometimes on sale on origin though (the points). You might be able to get the DLC direct through origin also (ME1 dlc is through origin).

you can buy some stuff via regular online retailer (I bought a lotsb code through gamestop's website for example.)

NREqxl5.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Ad astra wrote:
    On my solider run, I always use the Mattock. The Mattock has such power and accuracy that I can't justify using the Revenant on anything above normal. As much as I love the Revenant for being the futuristic equivalent of the S.A.W, the Mattock outclasses it.

I'm just hoping that with the upgrade system in ME3, I can up the accuracy of the Revenant... or increase the capacity and fire-rate of the Mattock.

Sometimes you just gotta go style over substance.

edited February 2012
    Orca wrote:
    Ad astra wrote:

Sometimes you just gotta go style over substance.

The Revenant is stylish, no doubt there, it design is much more aesthetically pleasing than the Mattock, and the "Daka Daka Daka!" sure is nice, but the Mattock seems to kill faster, and from a greater distance.

The Revenant used to be my favorite rifle, then I bought the firepower DLC, and never looked back.

Of course, with all the new guns in ME3, I'll probably be talking about a new favorite rifle come next month.

Ad astra on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Eh, the Mattock has such a slow rate of fire I find it's better to give it to squadmates.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com