As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spy fiction

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Ive read every book on my Kindle. I feel like reading something with spies and plot twists. Do you have any good ebook recommendation?

MagicToaster on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Anything by John le Carré. You might also look into the Bond books by Ian Fleming if you're in the mood for some fun pulp.

Esh on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Most of what John le Carré wrote is great. The classics are The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, [Ti]inker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy[/i], The Tailor of Panama and The Constant Gardener. I really liked The Russia House too.

edit: fuuuuuuuuuck I am too slow again

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Someone on my Facebook page recently asked a similar question, and the overwhelming consensus from a bevy of well-read types was John le Carre. Someone also suggested Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent, which seems to be a precursor to le Carré, and made me think of G K Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday, which, will not necessarily a "spy" novel, certainly scratches a similar itch.

• Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    Popped in here to suggest le Carre, but I see we're already on it. Carry on.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The Atrocity Archives is a nice Lovecraftian spy thriller.

• Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    I...apparently...don't know very much spy fiction. However, I read a few books of the Bourne series and enjoyed it quite a bit. The movies...well, the first movie is loosely based on the book, but after that, it's completely different. I dunno...I enjoyed it.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Graham Greene is a good bet. Quid already recommended Charles Stross, but I heartily second it - not only is it a nice mash-up of Lovecraft and Fleming, the author is intelligent, thoughtful and writes with an acerbic cyberpunk inflection that is perfect for the mood of a crumbling british intelligence outfit in the 21st century.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Oh. OH. I don't know how in the world I didn't think of this earlier, but Spook Country is the best spy book ever written. Ever.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    I seem to remember Brotherhood of the Rose by Dan Morrell was fairly decent.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687