As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can anyone recommend a dsl modem that works with XBox Live?

jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse.Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
The dsl modem/router that my phone company sent me seems to have been borked in a lightning storm. It works fine for 2-8 hours at a time before it needs to be power cycled. The modem can ping an IP address, but DNS resolution does not work, and after long enough I can't even pull up the routers configuration page (although it can still ping an IP).

I'm starting to think that no one in this country uses dsl anymore because I can find cable modems all over the place, but not dsl modems, and all the info online is from England and Australia. The only DSL modem I could find is a Zoom X5. I bought it, but it showed up as 'Strict' NAT on my xbox 360. Port forwarding did not help, so I returned the modem. Does anyone have a dsl modem that they know shows up as 'Open' NAT?

Alternatively I am using a wireless router set up as an access point. I could set it back as a router if I knew how to make the dsl modem/router just act as a modem. I could not find an option for this on the X5. Is there generally a way to do this? Could I just set the DMZ to the wireless router's IP?

TL;DR: Need an adsl modem/router that does not show up as 'Strict' on Xbox 360.

jackal on

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Have you tried asking your DSL Provider?

Ruckus on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Or just hit Craigslist.
    When people switch from DSL or cable, or switch providers, they often end up with a DSL modem they can't use. You can usually find them for $20-50, sometimes even for free, as opposed to the $100 DSL providers like to charge for new ones.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Have you tried asking your DSL Provider?

The first router/modem I got from them cost $70 and it was obviously used.

No one on Craigslist is selling them. I don't think Craigslist is very big where I live. [edit]Oh wait, you can request things on Craigslist too.[/edit]

I found a stand alone modem, D-Link DSL 2320B. I will try to find out if my wireless router shows up as open, and if it does I will probably order it.

jackal on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to work tech support for bell canada, and a modem/router 'we' provided is replaced free of charge if it stops working properly - just be sure to mention that you need to powercycle it. It's in your ISP's best interest to keep you connected, so you really should explore that option before going for a 3rd party modem, since you're already familiar with the workings of the one had before.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You should probably check with your provider that whatever models you're looking at are compatible with their service. I've had three DSL routers through different ISPs - one is now obsolete and can't be used anywhere, and the other two use incompatible technologies so they can't be used with the ISP that the other one came from.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/