As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Omegathon excpectations

ShoopityShoopity Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in PAX Archive
TL;DR - If you're wanting to be an Omeganaut, be aware you probably won't get any special treatment other than maybe a high-five (or elbow bump) from a random PAX-er, and where-as you'll have a great experience, it might come at a cost of missing out on panels/events that you really want to attend. This is based off my personal experience of PAX East 2011, which is different than the Omegathon at PAX Prime.

This is Shoopity, aka Eric, one of the winners of the 2011 Omegathon at PAX East (the fat one, I was the last one to Operate and I told my "patient" "Don't you die on me") and I wanted to share my experience so that anyone who might get the call knows what they're getting into. I'm going to say some things that might sound negative, but I assure you I am in no way complaining about my experience as a whole. And keep in mind, this is only one year's worth of experience of PAX in general, and just one time of being an Omeganaut. If you want some real experience, talk to Ross (since this'll be his unprecedented third year being one ;-) ).

Now, it's obvious you're going miss out on certain things and panels because you have to be at certain places at certain times; keep in mind, though, that also means showing up early to wherever you need to be. This is to say, you might miss a panel you really want to go to because it's happening at the same time as a game; you might also miss out on one because it's just before the next game; you might miss out on a panel that's after the game because you couldn't get in line and its line is full. Last year, we got into the Key Note early and had front row seats. We also got front row access to the Saturday night concert(s) since the competition was just before; this included Omeganauts who had not made it into that nights game (i.e. they had previously been eliminated). Once you're an Omeganaut, you're one for the whole expo; you get your shirt to wear the whole time, and you get your "medallion" whenever you get eliminated.

Now, I'm not huge on swag, I enjoy it, but I don't go around grabbing everything I can; I personally got no special attention from the convention floor nor the vendors. I didn't really want it, but I was somewhat[ expecting it based on previous descriptions of being an Omeganaut. Don't expect special attention and you won't be let down (and you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get it). I got absolutely no special treatment from the Enforcers; again, I didn't think they should, but there was a slight bit of... not expectation, but that moment just before hope turns into expectation, based on descriptions.

I also love the Enforcers, I have no gripes against them. They were doing their job, and everyone I came across I felt was doing a GREAT job. I never hold it against the individual person who's just doing what they're told. I might hold it against their superiors who came up with the rules they have to enforce.

Here's my three negative experiences I had at being an Omeganaut:
I only got to sit in a Harmonix panel for the first 15 minutes (so, mainly just the greetings) because I had to show up early for a game (it was Bananagrams). Not a huge deal, that's an example of "Thems the breaks."
There was a panel right after Operation in the same room that I barely made it into. This was a panel about geeks raising children; I was naturally interested in this because I was going to be having my first son in a few months (which is why I can't make it to PAX for the next few years until he's old enough); it was in this panel I learned about some awesome co-op board games like Forbidden Island. Did I make it in, yes, but I was in the very last row. Keep in mind, this was in the same room as the game I was just in; I could not get in line for this panel because I was in the game; I was not allowed to just stay in the room; I was not allowed to skip in line. Was it really "bad"? No, I made it in, but it just didn't sit well with me.
The big kicker for me was the night of Jenga. Here I was, part of a night where I provided entertainment for hundreds, nay thousands because this was broadcast on all the TV's around the building, plus I actually made it to the next round. So I'm riding on wave of excitement (which is saying a lot for me because I'm a very mellow guy). I start to head down to the Blam Nights panel, where I knew I'd be in the back again. But alas, the line was full full; I mean, the Enforcers weren't even letting people get in line anymore and they couldn't promise the people near the back of the line that they'd get in at all. Naturally, they wouldn't let me in line (nothing against the Enforcers they were just doing their job... but then, why isn't their job description something like "if it's for a panel that occurred during an event, go ahead and let a competing Omeganaut in")... even though I was a competing Omeganaut, that could be proven by the fact that I was just on the TV. Here's the kicker: my brother was already in the line. Yes, he opted to miss seeing me live so that he could get us a spot in line; I was not allowed to join him.

This left a bitter taste in my mouth. Yes, I ended up winning $3,000 (couldn't go to Germany, remember I had a newborn child), and I had an awesome experience being on stage, hanging out with other Omeganauts, the trash talking for funsies, being in the Facebook group that we formed. Was it worth missing out on what I did... I suppose I just barely lean towards "yes", but there are times I think back and wonder if I shouldn't have just "hadouken"-ed the Jenga tower (though I still would've missed out on Blam nights); or just tried to spell as many dirty words as I could've at Banagrams. I wouldn't have because I didn't want to take my partner down with me (I feel I should change the phrasing on that).

Shoopity on

• GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info Shoop. I'd still be excited as fuck to be an Omeganaut. You are part of an elite group. Maybe 20 out of 50,000? I mean you are high society! I'd be excited to actually be the panel. People are lining up to watch me! I get to play games that I like playing in front of a large audience for a chance to win a sweet prize.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Huh. My friend Christina was an Omeganaut for PAX East 2010, and she got the royal treatment. She was able to skip to the front of all the lines (even Mike and Jerry's signing event) and the Enforcers went out of their way to make her feel super special once they saw her medallion.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ShoopityShoopity Registered User regular
    Like I said, not complaining; I have a feeling Omeganauts at Prime are bit more "royalty". There were years past where they were allowed line jumping just for showing your badge. Now, it was communicated to us clearly that would NOT be the case last year (though they said they would try to allow it for events that occurred during games, but that turned out not to be the case), but at that point we were already committed. I'm just trying to get the word out that, at least at East, being an Omeganaut isn't as privileged as some make it out.

Great experience, just know what you're getting into; it's not all candy canes and unicorns.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Expecting to get special treatment at a show that is SO BIG now is just a little silly. You can choose to turn down the Omegathon, it's not like you HAVE to compete. They are giving you the opportunity to be in a unique event that has a BIG PRIZE at the end. You've already received special attention by being allowed to compete for said BIG PRIZE.

If you want to go to PAX and not miss ANYTHING, you're out of luck whether you're an Omeganaut or not. There's too much to do to see it all.

They can't hold 28 seats in every theater JUST IN CASE an Omeganaut may want to go to something. It may have worked when PAX was much smaller but the show is far too big to do that now. I might be able to understand wanting VIP treatment if there was no prize involved, but remember: BIG PRIZE.

Also, it's not a PRIME vs. EAST thing. The decision was simply made to not give VIP treatment anymore.

Well, maybe I attended a "bad" year, maybe things will be better this year.

As I mentioned, we weren't informed of the toned down treatment until after we were in. Yes, I still could've opted out; I still could've blew the first round at Katamari and just danced a jig the whole time. I just wanted to communicate before people got the call that it's not the candy canes and unicorns that it used to be, now it's more like Bob's sweet stripes and ponies.

Shoopity wrote:
    Well, maybe I attended a "bad" year, maybe things will be better this year.

Not sure what you mean by a "bad" year? The policy changed. PAX is too big to allow VIP treatment for the Omeganauts. The reward is 1) being able to compete in a fun and unique event 2) having the opportunity to win a BIG PRIZE. Pretty sure that the Omeganauts that I knew at Prime 2011 still had a blast. I guess if you accepted the Omegathon to be a VIP, you accepted for the wrong reason.

edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:
    They can't hold 28 seats in every theater JUST IN CASE an Omeganaut may want to go to something. It may have worked when PAX was much smaller but the show is far too big to do that now. I might be able to understand wanting VIP treatment if there was no prize involved, but remember: BIG PRIZE.

Maybe not the full allotment of all Omeganauts for every single theatre, but A) what about the number of competing Omeganauts (e.g. 24 for the first game on Saturday, 12 for the second game on Saturday, and 8 for the first game on Sunday), 2) only for panels just before/during a competition? I don't know the logistics of theater stuff, but what about asking the Omeganauts if there are any panels they'd like to attend that conflict so they can get the exact number ahead of time for specific theaters.

Shoopity on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I believe the reason they cannot offer VIP treatment anymore is because it's not logistically possible. Your suggestions are very logistically complicated, more-so than what was offered previously.

E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2012
    The quotes around the word bad were to indicate that it was a relative use of the word. If you made 2 million dollars every year for the past 5 years, then this year you made a million, it would be "bad" because that's not what you were expecting based on past events; and maybe you didn't budget properly, or you didn't have the mindset that was prepared for the cut (there are no quotes there because cut means to make less, even if it's still a crap-ton). Guess what, you still have a million dollars in your pocket, which is an awesome thing.

I didn't sign on to be one for VIP treatment, but that's what I came to expect somewhat based on past descriptions of the event. The information of what was to be actually expected didn't come until later.

The sole purpose of this post was to give potential Omeganaut-ers the heads up so they can make an informed decision.

Shoopity on
    Shoopity wrote:
    The sole purpose of this post was to give potential Omeganaut-ers the heads up so they can make an informed decision.

That could have been summed up by saying "It used to be policy that there was VIP treatment, now that policy has changed and there is no longer VIP treatment."

Going into a multi-paragraph rant is why this thread comes across as "Hey I won this cool event, and got $3k, but I didn't have ENOUGH fun." "I didn't WANT special treatment but I was expecting it."

zerzhul wrote:
    Shoopity wrote:

That could have been summed up by saying "It used to be policy that there was VIP treatment, now that policy has changed and there is no longer VIP treatment."

Going into a multi-paragraph rant is why this thread comes across as "Hey I won this cool event, and got $3k, but I didn't have ENOUGH fun." "I didn't WANT special treatment but I was expecting it."

I appreciate the multi paragraph recount. I also see why some might liken it to a 1%'er complaining to the 99%. Here's hoping I can finally be the 1%!

• JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Shoop (can I call you Shoop?), ultimately the challenge you bring up is the same one that every attendee faces. There is no way to be in 50 places at the same time and there is too much awesome to fully appreciate at PAX. No one gets to see every panel that they want to, play every game that they want to, or experience all of the cool PAX'y things that they want to.

Committing to be an Omeganaut, Enforcer, or to volunteer (for example as a DM for WoTC or as a part of the Cookie Brigade) means that you may see less of PAX than you would otherwise. That being said, there are as many different PAX experiences as there are attendees and the one you had was pretty special. Yes, your badge didn't morph you into a rock star for the weekend. But it sounds like you made friends and had experiences that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

(And, hey $3,000 too... not many attendees walk away from PAX $3,000 on the positive side of the ledger.)

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
    A) I didn't know if it was a change in policy or if it was just how things happen to work out last year, 2) listing examples to back up my statement turns it into a rant? Or maybe it's the listing of negative experiences along positive experiences?

So it's OK to say "It used to be when you got the call you answered 'YES!!', now you should be aware that things are different," but it's not OK to explain why I posted that? I started out with TL;DR that said, paraphrased, what you just said. Then I went into why I said that, which included positive and negative experiences. At every step I explain that I'm not complaining, I mention how incredible things used to be but how great things are now. What could I have done to communicate the change in the Omegathon (which is arguably an inherently negative thing, though perfectly understandable), and also give my experience of said changes, without coming off as ranting?

Shoopity wrote:
    What could I have done to communicate the change in the Omegathon (which is arguably an inherently negative thing, though perfectly understandable), and also give my experience of said changes, without coming off as ranting?

You can't please everyone Shoopy. I hope you understand that some people will take your list of negatives as ranting no matter how neutral you try to be.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Shoopity wrote:
    What could I have done to communicate the change in the Omegathon (which is arguably an inherently negative thing, though perfectly understandable), and also give my experience of said changes, without coming off as ranting?

You can't please everyone Shoopy. I hope you understand that some people will take your list of negatives as ranting no matter how neutral you try to be.

Agreed. I also thought it was very informative and well thought out. It really helps to know up front what you are getting into.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    Congrats on being a new dad. I think it's quite possible that a few years as a parent will provide you with a great deal of insight into how totally awesome getting to be an Omeganaut at all was, and the memory of any disappointment will have healed with time. I could be wrong, but I have my suspicions.

My personal opinion about being an Omeganaut is that it is not about prizes or special treatment. Being an Omeganaut should be about meeting your opponents in honorable combat and seeing the better man win. Maybe I don't know anything, having never competed, but I would gladly face the challenge if only for the right to face the challenge.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Having been to one of each PAX, I would love to be in the Omegathon. Like people have said, it is impossible to see everything whether you compete or not. Just go with the flow and take it all in.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    All of you are right, there's LOTS of good information in the post. I did dismiss it entirely and I shouldn't have.

I guess the reason it came across ranty, to me, was due to the following section, specifically because in all three of these cases you could have been
    1) in another panel (as a general attendee)
    2) an exhibitor or an enforcer at pax and have just got off your shift
    3) choosing to do anything else that takes up your time
    Shoopity wrote:
    Here's my three negative experiences I had at being an Omeganaut:
    I only got to sit in a Harmonix panel for the first 15 minutes (so, mainly just the greetings) because I had to show up early for a game (it was Bananagrams). Not a huge deal, that's an example of "Thems the breaks."
    There was a panel right after Operation in the same room that I barely made it into. This was a panel about geeks raising children; I was naturally interested in this because I was going to be having my first son in a few months (which is why I can't make it to PAX for the next few years until he's old enough); it was in this panel I learned about some awesome co-op board games like Forbidden Island. Did I make it in, yes, but I was in the very last row. Keep in mind, this was in the same room as the game I was just in; I could not get in line for this panel because I was in the game; I was not allowed to just stay in the room; I was not allowed to skip in line. Was it really "bad"? No, I made it in, but it just didn't sit well with me.
    The big kicker for me was the night of Jenga. Here I was, part of a night where I provided entertainment for hundreds, nay thousands because this was broadcast on all the TV's around the building, plus I actually made it to the next round. So I'm riding on wave of excitement (which is saying a lot for me because I'm a very mellow guy). I start to head down to the Blam Nights panel, where I knew I'd be in the back again. But alas, the line was full full; I mean, the Enforcers weren't even letting people get in line anymore and they couldn't promise the people near the back of the line that they'd get in at all. Naturally, they wouldn't let me in line (nothing against the Enforcers they were just doing their job... but then, why isn't their job description something like "if it's for a panel that occurred during an event, go ahead and let a competing Omeganaut in")... even though I was a competing Omeganaut, that could be proven by the fact that I was just on the TV. Here's the kicker: my brother was already in the line. Yes, he opted to miss seeing me live so that he could get us a spot in line; I was not allowed to join him.

None of these experiences are unique to being an Omeganaut. They are simply the reality that by doing one thing, you are sacrificing something else since many things go on at the same time and many popular panels will have people lining up far in advance.

By ___________ you might miss a panel/event/meetup that happens or has a lineup at the same time.

By participating in the Omegathon you might miss a panel/event/meetup that happens or has a lineup at the same time.
    By going to a panel you might miss a panel/event/meetup that happens or has a lineup at the same time.
    By sleeping in late you might miss a panel/event/meetup that happens or has a lineup at the same time.
    By being a panelist in some panel you might miss a panel/event/meetup that happens or has a lineup at the same time.
    By walking around on the exhibit floor you might miss a panel/event/meetup that happens or has a lineup at the same time.

I guess one key difference between most possibilities (especially the examples you gave), and being an Omeganaut is that they are usually a case-by-case basis. If I goto a panel, it's because I looked at all the other events and felt this one was the one I was most interested in (i.e. between seeing a Panel with Red 5 Studios and hanging out with a bunch of fans of Blamimations, both of which I want to do, I'll choose the panel); if I choose to sleep in late, it's because sleep is more important to me than anything else (i.e. "Hmm... nothing interesting is happening until 10:00, I'll sleep in"); if I choose to walk around the floor it's because that's what's most important to me at the time.

Choosing to be an Omeganaut is somewhat in-line with being a panelist (a panelist who's on 5 different panels I might add), making a blanket statement of "I might miss out on something incredibly interesting to me, but I won't know until schedules are made, but I need to make a decision now." Going into it, saying yes to being an Omeganaut last year, I thought to myself "I might miss out one some very interesting stuff (of which I can't plan), but that's made up for by the enjoyment of the competition, the possibility of a great prize, and the 'VIP treatment'." Once we started getting official information, the last bullet point of things to consider was gone but the commitment was made. Was someone threatening my family unless I competed? No. Is my life incomplete because I missed Blam nights? Heck no.

I just wish someone would've told me ahead of time the pros/cons of being in the competition, especially since the pros had changed from prior years. So, that's why I made this thread.

• BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    There's some really great info here, and I can see where you're coming from Shoopity.

Being in Omegathon means giving of your time for the show, definitely. For me, there's nowhere else I'd rather be at PAX than on stage. I've had the absolute privilege of being on the "big stage" four times, and the energy from the crowd is something I can't easily explain. It's just so awesome, you guys.

Like previous people have said, yeah it's a bigger show and logistics and etc. Bottom line, yeah, if you want to have your schedule as free as possible, don't click the omegathon button, or say "no" when they call you. Good luck passing up that temptation though.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    See, for me, I would rather be anywhere else than the stage. ANYWHERE. Well, maybe not the women's restroom after the great three-bean taco and Mountain Dew giveaway (seriously, I know the men's room can get bad, but you guys have NO IDEA of the horrors I've seen), but still. Those of you who saw me in the concert round know what I'm talking about. I should've called myself San Francisco 'cause I can quake with the best of 'em.

...too soon?

But. For all my anxiety, for all my stage fright, for all the pressure of the competition and throwing myself bodily against my introverted nature...I wouldn't trade being an Omeganaut for anything. Except maybe the grand prize. Okay. Shoopity's right: your schedule goes right out of your hands. You will miss panels before, during and after your rounds. I hear the Omegathon at Prime is a HUGE deal, and Omeganauts are treated like gods, but I don't know how true that is. Most of the attendees at PAX East don't know what an Omeganaut is. You would not believe the whining I saw on Twitter and various forums after the concert round last year - a whole lot of people thought this giant Jenga game was random bullpockey and just wanted the music to start. The vendors aren't gonna give you extra swag, and the logistics are such that the VIP treatment at panels is a thing of the past. You have a 1 in 14 chance of taking the grand prize, and if you don't take first or second place, you go home with a medallion and a bunch of memories. That's it.

But it feels really good.

No, I'm not joking. The thrill of pushing your wits and reflexes to the limit. The relief when your turn is over and you just have to see where you stand. The soaring high of victory. The visceral feelings alone almost make the whole thing worth it.

But there's more! Those memories I mentioned? Those come from three days of sharing your triumphs and failures with your new PAX-appointed best friend. Those come from shooting shit with your fellow competitors and making connections that will last long after PAX is over. They come from having your handle shouted over a loudspeaker to a screaming crowd. They come from literally making history - last year I was the first woman EVER to make it to the final round of ANY Omegathon, Prime or East, and let me tell you, this may just be a silly competition at a convention that most people outside of our community have never even heard of, but that was an amazing feeling, and I can't wait to see my fellow Omeganauts blaze their own trails. Someday someone will get to be the first woman to win an Omegathon, and if that isn't me, you bet your ass I'll be cheering her on.

And if you're really, really lucky, you take second place and you get to do it all over again. You get to see your PAX buddy (and maybe kick his butt), and you get to make a whole bunch of new friends and go on a whole new adventure.

If you are obsessed with maximizing your panel time or getting on the show floor as often as you possibly can, maybe the Omegathon's not for you. Check no, or turn it down when you're called. You should absolutely be realistic about your expectations. The Omegathon is work, before and during the con. I'm pretty sure we all gave up some of our free time to training, and we definitely gave up a bunch of our free time to the competition. You'll still get to see the con. There will still be time to play games and go to panels and see the show floor. But it's true - once you sign on, you're making a commitment.

But oh my God, you guys. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever done. I made friends I still talk to all the time. And I can't wait to do it all again. And if you get the call? If you think you can take it? Well...with apologies to Peter Venkman, when someone asks you if you want to be an Omeganaut, you say YES.

...oh. One final tip: when Gabe and Tycho say they're calling Omeganauts, get to somewhere with phone reception (or GET TO YOUR PHONE, if you gave them a landline) and STAY THERE until they're done. I literally got the call last year while I was making a subway connection, in basically the one part of the station where I had reception. Talk about luck of the Irish...I'm pretty sure that used up mine for the rest of the year. So, you know. Watch the feeds. If they're trying to call you, you've already beaten the odds - don't expect Lady Luck to sweeten the deal.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
    some awesome stuff
    Themiscyra wrote:
    some more awesome stuff

Two previous Omeganauts here (who gave me and my teammate a run for out money), posting some great stuff. I wish I could see you guys this year, maybe in 2017?

Shoopity wrote:
    some awesome stuff
    Themiscyra wrote:
    some more awesome stuff

Two previous Omeganauts here (who gave me and my teammate a run for out money), posting some great stuff. I wish I could see you guys this year, maybe in 2017?

You bet! I'll still be in Omegathon, just doing my very best and coming up just short of victory.

• TdarTURboTdarTURbo Registered User regular
    Fellow PAX East 2011 Omeganaut here. The Omegathon was a lot of fun. On the calls, I remembered getting called Friday February 4th, 4:52 PM from a private number, where it was a very awkward awesome conversation. When I asked Mike how many people they had to call he said a lot.

I did get a $5 Mega64 Expo convention DVD for free using my Omeganaut status, and for the Nintendo expo to cut a 500+ line to play 4 minutes of Steel Diver before leaving.

Bananagrams was nasty, and I nor my partner Kevin challenged my opponents on the word Jew that would have disqualified the other team, but then I wouldn't be able to met my online friends 7:00 PM Saturday night at the food court.

Anyway I hope someone continues Tyler's tradition of singing Sweet Caroline before the first round of this year's Omegathon.

Odds of being an PAX East Omeganaut is 28 out of the the # of 3 day passes avaliable. The toughest part of the Omegathon is becoming an Omeganaut.

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    I'm a citizen of Red Sox Nation. You bet your ass I'll get Sweet Caroline going.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
    This thread is doing a weird thing where it's not getting bumped up. Guess I should report it as a bug.

This thread is doing a weird thing where it's not getting bumped up. Guess I should report it as a bug.

Not a bug. There's a feature in Vanilla called "sinking" which makes it so it no longer goes any higher on a forum, but it doesn't close the thread.

zerzhul wrote:

Not a bug. There's a feature in Vanilla called "sinking" which makes it so it no longer goes any higher on a forum, but it doesn't close the thread.

Oh cool. Perty nifty.

• Mr2001Mr2001 Registered User regular
    Prime 2011 Omeganaut here. I wasn't expecting a lot of VIP treatment, but there were still enough special moments.

I didn't get any high-fives at PAX itself, but I was congratulated by one of the bands at their merch booth. I was also stopped three times on the nearby streets to chat about the Omegathon. The mall security guard seemed pretty excited to talk to me.

I didn't cut in any lines, but I got priority entry to the main theater events. That meant chilling inside with my fellow Omeganauts while everyone else was lined up in the street. It also meant I was in the front row for the Saturday concerts and the final round/closing ceremony, which led to getting some great photos (one person being serenaded by Paul & Storm, another collapsing on stage after winning the tournament) that I was able to share with the happy subjects.

I didn't get on stage, but I did feel like part of the show. I got in early on the first day. I was expected to be certain places at certain times instead of wandering around like I usually do. I found pictures of myself competing online. I had breakfast and dinner with the other competitors (in what I hope will be a tradition for Omeganauts going forward).

Now, it's true that this caused some schedule conflicts, but that's how it always goes at PAX: everything you do closes off other options. That's why you keep coming back! Also, it was my fifth PAX, and honestly I was ready for something besides panels anyway. The experience taught me that it's fun to have things to do besides what's on the official schedule - next time I may try buttoneering, scavenging, or even Enforcing.

a.k.a. TaradinoC
    PAX 09 E10 P10 E11 P11[Ω] P12[E]
  • TdarTURboTdarTURbo Registered User regular
    Doesn't matter had PAX.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Guys, I got a call from a 360 WA, USA number. Please tell me that isn't Penny Arcade! I didn't pick up and it hit me after they hung up that it could've been them. :'(

edit; Pheeeeew. Typed the number into google and it is some cruise offer crap. Thank God. Haha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Thank you for the information and details about your experience. I'll have to think long and hard about accepting an Omegathon invite now if I happen to get a call, there's already an absurd amount of stuff going on during the convention and I missed a lot of what I wanted to see last year. But it's a huge opportunity and sounds like a blast. The Ikaruga finale to PAX East 2011 was epic. The $3000 doesn't sound shabby either, that will fund future PAX trips for quite a while.

I would have expected the Omeganauts to have some special treatment at least, I can't believe they booted you out of the room you were already in and made you get back in line for the next panel.