As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Letting TIM keep the base is practically a non-issue. Shepard ripped a Collector dreadnought to pieces, hundreds of cybernetically posessed organic war machines, and a baby Reaper and little ol' Cerberus is supposed to stop him from doing it again?

At least letting him keep the base may lead to extra benefits while they take the casualites. It's not like Shepard finds killing Cerberus personel overly difficult.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Spoken like a true coward.

MyShep is not a coward.

Your Shep is naieve as hell though.

I don't trust TIM especially since I tendered my resignation and since half his fucking employees hold him to a condition or were fucking lied to and the rest die I think blowing the base up is for the best.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Right, so clearly the best option would be to not destroy the base but then give it to the Council.

I hate how your choice is between two idiotic options.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    TIM spent a few billion to bring you back, the least you could do is give him a shiny new toy to play with

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i blow up the base because i need a big fucking explosion to go with my epic music at the end.

and a lame-ass neutron pulse doesn't cut it.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote:
    TIM spent a few billion to bring you back, the least you could do is give him a shiny new toy to play with

Oh, he'll get one. Right between the eyes.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote:

His reward for resurrecting Shepard is humanity not being harvested.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    Right, so clearly the best option would be to not destroy the base but then give it to the Council.

I hate how your choice is between two idiotic options.

Bioware really did drop the ball with the end of ME2

It was really stupid

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Every squadmate opposing the base was kind of ridiculous. Grunt, you were there with me like ten minutes ago saying it was stupid to throw away a weapon, and now you're all wishy-washy? Ugh, just what kind of a krogan ARE you anyway!?
    milk ducks wrote:
    ITT: People who didn't read the part where I said, "For Soldiers, maybe." (referring to a post where someone said the Viper kills faster than the Widow) "That's not the case for Infiltrators."

Which was actually the entire post, except for the video. So that's something.

The entire argument was specifically about soldiers and how adrenaline rush changed the scene, and Widow had even been recommended especially for infiltrators, so it seemed a non sequitur. No one ever argues infiltrators should skip the Widow unless it's a shotgun or alternative strategy.

s7Imn5J.png
    The thing is that every single crew member says you did the wrong thing afterwards, and if you go the other way every single crew member agrees with you.

Shepard doesn't need your goddamn approval, subordinates.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    well

all mass effect games have had lame elements at the end

king hopper in 1, SuperMetalAhnoldGreyMon in 2

i expect something equally ridiculous in 3

but i don't care because the journey getting there will be worth it

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    well

all mass effect games have had lame elements at the end

king hopper in 1, SuperMetalAhnoldGreyMon in 2

i expect something equally ridiculous in 3

but i don't care because the journey getting there will be worth it

The ending to Mass Effect 3 will be a totally completed boss from the last game, complete with Arnold Schwarzenegger skin covering as he runs around the galaxy looking for Sarah Connor.

• BookerBooker Registered User regular
    You kill it by shooting its mass effect core while being swarmed by husks.

Shepard vs. the reaper's final weapon...Shadow Shepard.
    Use the hammer.

s7Imn5J.png
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    I hope none of you are ever in charge of saving every bit of life in the galaxy from giant apocalyptic robots. "Well yeah they're going to exterminate everyone, but the only guy really trying to stop them is such a dickhead! Fuck it I hate that guy screw potential technology that could be used to save EVERYTHING."

Worst heroes ever.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    FightTest wrote:
    I hope none of you are ever in charge of saving every bit of life in the galaxy from giant apocalyptic robots. "Well yeah they're going to exterminate everyone, but the only guy really trying to stop them is such a dickhead! Fuck it I hate that guy screw potential technology that could be used to save EVERYTHING."

Worst heroes ever.

This.

The game is somehow convinced I'm a Paragon. I don't know how I earned that, since my approach is generally, "If you're on my crew, I play nice. If you step out of line, I put you back in line. If you're not on my crew, and I hear a word out of your mouth that ain't helping me out or taking your leave, I will put you down."

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited February 2012
    FightTest wrote:

Worst heroes ever.

Just because it took almost the entire fleet of the Council and Alliance combined to barely kill one Reaper doesn't mean we need their evil space technology to beat thousands of Reapers when they inevitably return :evil:

Lemming on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    FightTest wrote:

Worst heroes ever.

Or...this guy I don't trust is such a huge dickhead and I would have to be blown out of my mind to think that he would use this technology properly.

The Reapers are already coming. I don't need more shit to deal with.

Also, explosions.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Charge has the weirdest bugs. I got stuck in the air during Grunt's loyalty mission.

Hilariously, it was kind of helpful, since I was able to shoot the varren with utter impunity and charge back down towards the end of the wave.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I like blowing the base partly because it's thematically appropriate what with the neutral geth rejecting reaper technology and sovereign's bit about developing along the path they desire and the reapers' having used their technology as a trap.

Of course, there is the thanix cannon and stuff, but whatevs.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    FightTest wrote:

Worst heroes ever.

This.

The game is somehow convinced I'm a Paragon. I don't know how I earned that, since my approach is generally, "If you're on my crew, I play nice. If you step out of line, I put you back in line. If you're not on my crew, and I hear a word out of your mouth that ain't helping me out or taking your leave, I will put you down."

I manage to be Renegade when I play even though I take this approach. I'm nice to my crew but if you're not with me and are in my way, I solve the problem with bullets and explosions.

Though I like the logic one person had in this thread earlier on that I follow, my Shepard always blows up the base because that's just the badass thing to do. Makes for a much more exciting ending flying away from an explosion.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    FightTest wrote:

Worst heroes ever.

Just because it took almost the entire fleet of the Council and Alliance combined to barely kill one Reaper doesn't mean we need their evil space technology to beat thousands of Reapers when they inevitably return :evil:

I'm surprised by the amount of "TIM is a dickhead fuck that guy!" I blew it up. But I did it because it's Reaper tech. There is a very high chance that the Reapers have built in fail safes that will let them take over/shut down anything that comes from that base. It's better to use tech that we know at least works for us than relying on something that may ultimately fail will leave the galaxy wide open to be harvested/destroyed.

dragonsama wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    FightTest wrote:

Worst heroes ever.

I'm surprised by the amount of "TIM is a dickhead fuck that guy!" I blew it up. But I did it because it's Reaper tech. There is a very high chance that the Reapers have built in fail safes that will let them take over/shut down anything that comes from that base. It's better to use tech that we know at least works for us than relying on something that may ultimately fail will leave the galaxy wide open to be harvested/destroyed.

It's a matter of risk vs reward. Is there risk in trying to learn from a Reaper base? Of course, we know that already. However, the potential for learning a weakness or developing a weapon is there, and that far outweighs the risk. Again, considering that there are thousands of reapers and their combined fleets barely killed one.

I'm wondering what degree of granularity there will be in "successful completion" of ME3.

Like, on the suicide mission, you could have a flawless run, lose everyone, or anything in between. I'm wondering what the scale of success encompasses for defending the galaxy from harvest.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It'd be so cool if you could super-duper failshep and let the galaxy get harvested.

All subsequent games in the franchise have you playing as reapers.

• ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    I'm wondering what degree of granularity there will be in "successful completion" of ME3.

Like, on the suicide mission, you could have a flawless run, lose everyone, or anything in between. I'm wondering what the scale of success encompasses for defending the galaxy from harvest.

I think all the suicide mission will determine (in terms of lost teammates) is who you see during sidequests. Everyone you saved will be trying to help either the place where their family is (Miranda, Thane), a planet (Grunt as part of his clan, Samara as a justicar?) or a place/group of people that is somehow connected to them (Jack and the ascension project?).

I think the scale of success is going to be a giant bar you can fill by completing these (and other) sidequests, the main plot and multiplayer stuff all combined.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...from what I've gathered I know a couple of things.

Minor spoilers
    -It seems like you will be able to lose squadmates in 3...but I have no idea how it is implemented. It might be an endgame thing like ME2 or it might not.

-Casey Hudson said there won't be a Reapers win scenario in ME3(which I think kind of sucks). But he said that how much you "win" will be determined by the choices you make.

So basically ME3 is sounding like ME2 except on a grander scale.

edited February 2012
    Lemming wrote:
    It's a matter of risk vs reward. Is there risk in trying to learn from a Reaper base? Of course, we know that already. However, the potential for learning a weakness or developing a weapon is there, and that far outweighs the risk. Again, considering that there are thousands of reapers and their combined fleets barely killed one.

Unless the reapers left the blueprints to their fatally weak exhaust vent laying about, I'm skeptical at how much you're going to get out of the base in the couple months before the reapers arrive, especially considering the more you have to rush, the less precaution you can take, and then top it off with the incredibly incompetent Cerberus being behind it. I mean, we already know their mucking around with reaper tech managed to create instantly contagious husks, so...

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited February 2012
    I don't think Bioware is in the habit of offering a choice between "the good option" and "you are horribly fucking yourself over for no reason by clicking this, k?".

That's why I'm convinced there will be some benefit to the base, followed by a fun little cleanup operation after TIM fucks something up post-invasion.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Lemming wrote:

Unless the reapers left the blueprints to their fatally weak exhaust vent laying about, I'm skeptical at how much you're going to get out of the base in the couple months before the reapers arrive, especially considering the more you have to rush, the less precaution you can take, and then top it off with the incredibly incompetent Cerberus being behind it. I mean, we already know their mucking around with reaper tech managed to create instantly contagious husks, so...

Disregarding plot magic, again, consider the fact that the many Council ships and the majority of the Alliance barely killed one Reaper. Besides whatever magical device Shepard inevitably finds, everyone is fucked, so a slim chance of finding something useful in the Reaper base is better than nothing.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Yeah my reasoning has always been that
    it would be easy enough to take TIM out if he fucks around with the base. After all, shepard already took it over once.

Plus it's hard to justify blowing up a more-or-less functional example of enemy tech, even if it might be dangerous.

My main reason for taking out the base at the end is every single supposedly dead reaper site TMI had crews working on eventually causes everybody in it to go insane or turn into husks and I wind up having to go back in and kill them all. I have seen no evidence in game that humans can work on large scale reaper tech no matter how inert it appeared safely.

kaid wrote:
    it would be easy enough to take TIM out if he fucks around with the base. After all, shepard already took it over once.

Plus it's hard to justify blowing up a more-or-less functional example of enemy tech, even if it might be dangerous.

My main reason for taking out the base at the end is every single supposedly dead reaper site TMI had crews working on eventually causes everybody in it to go insane or turn into husks and I wind up having to go back in and kill them all. I have seen no evidence in game that humans can work on large scale reaper tech no matter how inert it appeared safely.

Tethered teleoperated robots. Bam.

Lemming wrote:
    kaid wrote:

You think robots are immune? So did the geth.

Orca wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    kaid wrote:

You think robots are immune? So did the geth.

That's why they're teleoperated and not autonomous! Plus with the tether, they won't pick up any external signals.

You think you've found a way, until the robots all rise up one day and cut the cord, then start attacking you.

I know how this works.

Someone made the whole "remote control robots from five miles away in space" argument last thread, but we don't even have a clue how indoctrination works yet, and it's Cerberus, so to the question of 'bam,' I say

contagious husks. Cerberus literally invented the Flood.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote:
    FightTest wrote:

Worst heroes ever.

This.

I manage to be Renegade when I play even though I take this approach. I'm nice to my crew but if you're not with me and are in my way, I solve the problem with bullets and explosions.

Though I like the logic one person had in this thread earlier on that I follow, my Shepard always blows up the base because that's just the badass thing to do. Makes for a much more exciting ending flying away from an explosion.
    2011-11-14.jpg

Someone made the whole "remote control robots from five miles away in space" argument last thread, but we don't even have a clue how indoctrination works yet, and it's Cerberus, so to the question of 'bam,' I say

contagious husks. Cerberus literally invented the Flood.

Well the entire point is that you can always think of some magical reason not to do it, but practically the only thing that makes sense is to try.

To let the Council try, that is. By telling them. And giving them the base and not Cerberus.

The Illusive Man may not have implanted a control chip in Shepards brain, but he clearly implanted a Fucking Moron chip.

edited February 2012
    Actually, Shepard was pretty much always a fucking moron. If he had just used his fucking helmet video camera the whole time, he could have handed over records of every conversation he had with Saren, Matriarch Benezia, and Soverign. The Council would have believed it, especially considering they accepted the Geth recording data without any skepticism at all.

BUT NOPE I'M SHEPARD TBHTHBTBHTBHTHBT WHY WON'T YOU GUYS BELIEVE ME WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE ;=;

Edit: Or a recording of the aborted human reaper fetus! What the fuck Shepard, you're a FUCKING IDIOT

Lemming on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Hell when the citadel was actually attacked by a reaper in mass effect 1 even that was not enough to make the council believe in them. Handing them over the station from mass effect two likely would not have had any more positive impact because the council simply cannot accept the depth of the threat they are facing and would rather deny the obvious than act upon the info they have.