As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East Tabletop Freeplay Thread

• Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Just to clarify - there are two different types of Tabletop Freeplay being discussed on this thread.

1) Official, Event-Sponsored Tabletop Freeplay (as explained by Zerzhul, above)
    - Happens inside BCEC
    - Is subject to convention hours and staffing
    - Has a huge library of games to check out

2) Individuals bringing personally-owned games (look through the threads)
    - Meetups could happen anywhere or any time
    - Meetups need to be scheduled in advance with the game's owner or check twitter for any impromptu postings
    - Meetups could potentially include alcohol or late-night walks back from bars or hotels

I know that there is a hashtag and Twitter for number one, but I oddly feel like perhaps some sort of thing should be set up for the Personally Owned meetups. I know last year, there were TONS of people in the hotel lobby at the Renaissance in the evenings getting food and playing games. I'm thinking about what would possibly work...

• Options
    EdracEdrac Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'll jump onto this one.
    I'm interested in getting together people for tabletop RPGs such as (but not limited to):
    Burning Wheel
    Paranoia
    Dread
    Fiasco
    Monsters & Other Childish Things
    And quite a few more that sit on my shelves for far too long.

Also, if you're wanting to run a game, especially one I've never played before, I'm probably interested in playing.

I would be all about playing some Burning Wheel, Fiasco, and Dread. I've got the books for those 3 but have never tried them yet. (Not counting the demo that I was in for Dread last PAX East run by the creator.)

Would also love to play some Apocalypse World and Dungeon World. I have run AW but have never gotten the chance to play in a game.

Side note. I have a couple of the limited edition playbooks for Apocalypse World if anyone is looking for them.

Adding to the list of stuff I'm interested in playing:
    Dogs in the Vineyard
    Dreseden Files RPG

Edrac on
  • Options
    NessticleNessticle Registered User regular
    I have been picking up a ton of games this year and will be bringing Race for the Galaxy, Flux, and Kitten's in a Blender

"I must try to come to a deeper understanding of this trait called 'courage.'" -Apple Kid Earthbound
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular

I know that there is a hashtag and Twitter for number one, but I oddly feel like perhaps some sort of thing should be set up for the Personally Owned meetups. I know last year, there were TONS of people in the hotel lobby at the Renaissance in the evenings getting food and playing games. I'm thinking about what would possibly work...

What about setting up hashtags and Twitter by location? So maybe "WestinLobbyGaming", "SeaportGaming", etc...? Also, It would be great if all the public gaming twitter feeds and accounts were added to the OP on this thread.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Kiashien wrote:
    Hey all,

Since many people have been talking about picking up a Shadowrun edition, please PLEASE PLEASE pick up this:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-20th-Anniversary-Catalyst-Game/dp/1934857319
    (I'm not an affiliate- it's just a normal link)

The reason is that they greatly upgraded the index and the raw linkage between topics- the old Shadowrun book, while cheaper, does not EVER link back to any thing, and says everything exactly once. It's much harder to reference, on the fly- and really, as a gamer, that's what you want.

Plus, the anniversary one has an index of all the extra books too.

I won't turn you away if you have the old book, I'm just saying if you're going to buy one, buy that one- I have both, and it's a night and day difference.

As a side note, I'm down to one free slot, and I'd hope for at least one Standby, in case of worst scenario and all that. Either way, the game is going to run- I just might have to be an extra-inventive DM at the moment.

~Kia

Just picked up a copy of the Shadowrun book at B&N for 22.45 shipped!

• Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    JerYnkFan wrote:
    Kiashien wrote:

Just picked up a copy of the Shadowrun book at B&N for 22.45 shipped!

Awesome! It makes things sound more complicated than they really are, so don't get too intimidated by it :)

It's the equivalent of the DMG + PHP + MM for like, dnd, hence the size. :)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    EvelynEvelyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So....I played Earthdawn FOREVER ago and I remember really loving the interesting system and the way the game was run. I, personally, don't have any books and this was actually at least five years ago when I played, but I was wondering if someone HAD any books and would be interested in starting up a game while at PAX. I would love to play even if it was for only a couple of hours.

Evelyn on
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Evelyn wrote:
    So....I played Earthdawn FOREVER ago and I remember really loving the interesting system and the way the game was run. I, personally, don't have any books and this was actually at least five years ago when I played, but I was wondering if someone HAD any books and would be interested in starting up a game while at PAX. I would love to play even if it was for only a couple of hours.

I've got most of the books, but haven't played since the mid-90's. If I recall correctly, back when FASA still owned the licensing, they released the main rulebook for free as a PDF on a CD-ROM - you might still be able to find one of those floating around. . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    Go! Shawn!Go! Shawn! New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    My brother-in-law and I have been working on a table top RPG and we would like to test out the character creation part of the game, and maybe run an encounter. We will be at PAX East Friday and Saturday and are looking for people who would like to come out and and try the character creation and give us feed back on it.

If you would be interested in helping us out, drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll get back to you when the schedule is released.

Thank you.

Go! Shawn! on
    At PAX East 2014: Cosplay Noire Project:
    http://www.goshawnphotography.com/cosplay

Dark, gritty, character centric portraits.
  • Options
    McMagpieMcMagpie Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    Hey all! This is my first post, so I'll start by saying its nice to (preemptively) meet you all.

Last year at PAX East I was in awe of the awesome tabletop community and set a goal to get into both tabletop and board games a little more this year. Well, PAX is almost upon us again and with the busy year I had, I didn't really keep to that goal. So, I'm hoping to start playing a few games over the next couple of months and I figured I'd ask you all for recommendations. What are your favorite tabletop games? We can even chat card games as well! Thanks in advance for all your recommendations :)

McMagpie on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Copy pasta from a different "what tabletop games should I play?" thread I replied to:
    These games are popular amongst my group of friends:

Deck builders
    Dominion - It's Dominion. If you're not careful, you'll easily spend $200 on this game.
    Thunderstone - It's Dominion with a dungeon crawler aspect. Also oodles of expansions to spend money on.
    Eminent Domain - A space exploration game with a variety of tactics. Will you use warfare or conquer the galaxy? Colonize all of the planets? Generate so many resources that you outmuscle your opponents?

Co-op
    Sentinels of the Multiverse - You and your team of superheroes have to fight their way past minions and environmental hazards to defeat the supervillian and make sure his diabolical scheme doesn't come to pass.
    Pandemic - PAX Pox (I don't think they specify what the virus is, so I'm saying it's PAX Pox) has spread across the globe. Can you and your team find the cure in time, or will the disease cover the entire globe?

Games that can easily be turned into drinking games
    Red Dragon Inn - The adventuring party has killed the dragon and earned their spoils...time to drink/gamble them away! Who will stay conscious and have money at the end and not have to sleep in the stables?
    Bang! - It's the Wild West, the sheriff is trying to prevent the outlaws from taking over the town, the renegade from taking his job, and his deputies alive...but he doesn't know who's who.

A few others I'd add:

Eminent Domain - Deck builder. Colonize/conquer/produce your way to the top of the galaxy. Take turns selecting roles to do on your turn, everyone else can either follow or dissent (to draw a card).
    Flashpoint: Fire Rescue - Co-op. Try to rescue people inside of a burning house before they die/the house collapses. Put out fires, identify points of interest, remove hazardous materials, haul people to safety.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Arkham Horror CO-op Lovecraftian, try to prevent old one from awakening
    Battlestar Galactica CO-op except for one person is the Cylon and nobody knows who for a while and they work to kill everyone else, better than the TV series.
    Munchkin for when you hate your friends

Also
    Mystery express, competitive a crazy clueish type game
    Talisman, competitive, fantasy board game, usual Tolkien influences

zepherin on
  • Options
    If you're new to tabletop board games, I'd recommend against Arkham Horror or Battlestar Galactica right out of the gate. They're great games, but pretty complicated and could be really intimidating for someone who's new to the tabletop world. Try getting your feet wet with some core games first. To whypick1's list, I would add Settlers of Catan, Carcasonne, Fluxx, Ticket to Ride & Bananagrams. They're fun, easy to learn and you'll have no problems finding others who know how to play.

• Options
    McMagpieMcMagpie Registered User new member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Sorry for starting another thread for this...I should have looked a little more closely at what was already being discussed!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If you're new to tabletop board games, I'd recommend against Arkham Horror or Battlestar Galactica right out of the gate. They're great games, but pretty complicated and could be really intimidating for someone who's new to the tabletop world. Try getting your feet wet with some core games first. To whypick1's list, I would add Settlers of Catan, Carcasonne, Fluxx, Ticket to Ride & Bananagrams. They're fun, easy to learn and you'll have no problems finding others who know how to play.
    Good point, Talisman is also a bit rough for new players. However munchkin and mystery express have pretty straight forward rules.

• Options
    ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    Another fun Deck Building game is Ascension. Love Catan, Carcasonne, Flux, Munchkin, and Dominion.

• Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Quarriors is a very, very, very good game for on the fly deckbuilding... since your deck is your dice, and shuffling consists of filling your dice bag and shaking.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    You might look into Elder Sign. It's a sort of miniaturized dice based version of Arkham Horror. It's co-op and you an play it solo to get used to it. We were going to take a copy with us to Pax since it is probably the most portable game that we have. It does take a while to play though, about an hour a game.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This comes up often in my circles...I should probably boilerplate a recommendation list. No better time than the present...

I've never picked up a card or die before in my life
    Ticket To Ride
    Carcassonne
    Mille Bornes
    No Thanks
    Bazaar
    Blokus
    Zombie Dice
    Cthulhu Dice
    Dixit

These are all very simple to learn and provide a lot of fun and replay value without dealing with too much abstract concept or creating too many diverging strategies to play from.

I've played Monopoly or Uno
    Settlers of Catan
    Citadels
    Dominion
    Lost Cities
    Bang!
    Fluxx
    Munchkin
    Risk*
    Forbidden Island
    TransAmerica

These games have more depth, but the strategies diverge, the rules are a bit more procedural, and the concept starts to become more abstract. Still high fun and replay values though, and if you're already acclimated to playing any variety at all of card or board game, you shouldn't have much trouble learning these.

I love <insert game here, probably from the list above> but want more
    Ascension
    Pandemic
    Power Grid
    Puerto Rico
    Agricola
    Quarriors
    Thurn and Taxis
    7 Wonders

These games are either high abstraction, lots of decision making, or create a potentially intimidating experience for a new player, either due to game difficulty or the way the players interact. I don't recommend them for first timers but they're all a lot of fun, and if you've played any of the games further up on the list then you should have no problem getting into these.

One question I always ask anytime someone wants recommendations though: What is your favorite game (that you've played, of course) and what did you like about it? With that information I can usually point toward one or two dead ringers that can hit the high notes that you enjoyed from what you've already experienced.

*Some people may scoff at this one, but it's a great lightweight strategy game. There are better ones, but this is never a bad place to start; graduate from this to something like Memoir '44 or Viktory II.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    @Nullzone, that's a +5 for thoughtful organization and list making.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    CyantCyant Registered User regular
    If PAX lasted a whole week id probably try to finish one game of Twilight Imperium with the 2 expansions but 3 days... no way... I want to be able to see the showfloor and go to anime Boston too :)

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote:
    Risk*

Did you forget a footnote?

*You can't hold Asia, don't try

• Options
    Bobble wrote:
    Nullzone wrote:
    Risk*

Did you forget a footnote?

*You can't hold Asia, don't try

Odd..I had it in there. Maybe I accidentally cut it out when I was doing cleanup.

And lol, that wasn't it, but it's a good point =P

• Options
    DeadsqwirlDeadsqwirl Bristol CTRegistered User regular
    Power Grid is a fantastic game but requires a few plays to get the strategy down. It takes a while to play and for someone unexperienced one poor move can eliminate you from the game mid way through. That being said it is one of my favorites!

• Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'll be paying my way at the Wizards booth for a good chunk of the time but I want to run at least 1 game of sordid dyspepsia.

possibly some Engine heart too.

lucek on
  • Options
    1337mith1337mith Level 1 Human with No Class Orlando, FLRegistered User new member
    edited February 2012
    Greetings and Salutations or if you'd prefer: `Ello!

I am looking to run a game while at my first PAX and need your help. Since my usual group of players decided not to make the trip with me I am up for running virtually anything. I am personally interested in running any of the following:
    • Dresden Files RPG
    • Mutants & Masterminds: a One Piece Setting
    • Mutants & Masterminds: a Naruto Setting
    • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 (Darksun or Eberron, as my last two campaigns were Forgotten Realms I would like a break from them)
    • Star Wars Saga Edition
    • Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition (any setting)
    • White Wolf's Mage, Vampire, or Werewolf (any edition)

I am looking for a minimum of three players and a maximum of eight once the game is settled on. From there we can work together to have characters all done prior to the convention. Please let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to hearing from you!

P.S.
    I am not opposed to running multiple games if the interest is high enough

1337mith on
    “Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc”
    “In bellum, victoria. In pacem, vigilil. In mortem, sacrificium.”
    “Life is like a piece of Pi, it just keeps going...”
    “Just because it works doesn’t mean it’s not broken.”
    “There are no silly questions: only silly answers.”
  • Options
    RealGoneRealGone BostonRegistered User regular
    Hi folks!

This will be my second year at PAX East, and likely the second straight year that I spend far too much time in the tabletop area and neglect the rest of the con. I never get a chance to go to GenCon, so I think I compensate by treating PAX East like GenCon lite.

Most of my time will likely be spent playing Magic. I'll be participating in tournaments and should also have one or two EDH/Commander decks as well as sets of Duel Decks if anyone who doesn't have a deck with them wants to battle. Especially in the concert lines.

While I don't own it, I have played Arkham Horror and love it dearly. If anyone is looking to put together a game and needs a warm body, I would entirely be down.

In the same vein, I've been meaning to try both Dominion and Ascension for a long time, but have had trouble finding a group to play the game on any sort of basis. I'm hoping PAX East will give me the opportunity to change that.

I am also up for any and all Steve Jackson Games...games. All of them. The only one I actually own is the Illuminati trading card game (INWO), and could probably bring a bunch of cards if anyone else remembers how deliriously awesome that game was back in the day.

Basically, board and card games rule, and I will play almost anything. I appreciate any and all that will help scratch the itch!

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    RealGone wrote:
    I am also up for any and all Steve Jackson Games...games. All of them. The only one I actually own is the Illuminati trading card game (INWO), and could probably bring a bunch of cards if anyone else remembers how deliriously awesome that game was back in the day.

Obviously, SJ Games is awesome (and Evil Stevie himself is confirmed as an attendee, so you might bring an INWO card for him to sign). We will definitely be getting our Munchkin on, and may also do some Deluxe Illuminati (still a card game, but somewhat different from INWO).

• Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    RealGone wrote:

Obviously, SJ Games is awesome (and Evil Stevie himself is confirmed as an attendee, so you might bring an INWO card for him to sign). We will definitely be getting our Munchkin on, and may also do some Deluxe Illuminati (still a card game, but somewhat different from INWO).

I saw that Deluxe Illuminati at B&N. Looked very interesting

• Options
    RealGoneRealGone BostonRegistered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote:

Is Deluxe Illuminati the same as the original boxed card game Illuminati that predated INWO? I know I played that one back in the 90's (and loved it, obviously), but it's been ever so long.

• Options
    RealGone wrote:
    Is Deluxe Illuminati the same as the original boxed card game Illuminati that predated INWO? I know I played that one back in the 90's (and loved it, obviously), but it's been ever so long.

Yes. The "Deluxe" part simply refers to the fact that it's the deluxe edition of that game.

• Options
    sjkellyfettisjkellyfetti Registered User new member
    So Quick Question... I read through this thread, but didn't find one, but is there a list of that games that will be available for checkout from the TT library this year? I'm making a list of stuff I want to try, and knowing what will be in the library would be somewhat helpful.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    So Quick Question... I read through this thread, but didn't find one, but is there a list of that games that will be available for checkout from the TT library this year? I'm making a list of stuff I want to try, and knowing what will be in the library would be somewhat helpful.

No list available yet. I'm not sure if one will be posted to the forums or not.

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    To the best of my knowledge, they haven't posted lists in the past. That being said, if there's something you want to try, post it here - I'm sure someone can bring a copy . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    sheranosukesheranosuke Registered User regular
    I am bringing people who are going to bring decks as well. I hope someone will actually do some form of organized play for it like tj's does mtg.

• Options
    sheranosukesheranosuke Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I see that TJ's is running a whole slew of magic the gathering tournaments, and that is great. I was wondering if other popular tcg's such as yu-gi-oh, Pokemon, or Cardfight Vanguard to name a few would receive similar treatment?

sheranosuke on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Cryptozoic usually has a presence and runs their own WOWTCG tournaments (though this is purely based on previous history; I do not know if they will be there this year or not). There was a not-insignificant Pokemon booth at last East, as well, though I don't know what sort of events they were running (if any).

I've never seen a strong YGO or CFV showing at any of the PAXes (PAXii?) I've attended, but there's always a first time. If you'd like to see those folks there in the future, make sure and let them know!

Nullzone on
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    So at Prime last year there was a list that was posted as time got closer for some scheduled, non-tourney table-top RPGs. Especially some that were aimed for brand new players. I wanted to try and get into one of these games but time and shyness got the best of me.

I'd really like to try and give it a go again this year (particularly on Saturday). I hope something like this comes around again!

• Options
    BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    I should not have ignored this so long. Sorry about that, folks. But I haven't forgotten.

KoalaBro2, sounds good. After playing SW:TOR the last while, I certainly have a taste for playing a smuggler at the tabletop as well. So you've peaked my interest in your game as well.

Kiashien, you've got my interest. Let's figure out schedules and see how it works. I saw a few people already want in, so maybe count me as an alternate if you're booked.

Edrac, there was a Dread Demo last year and I missed it? Augh. Anyway, from your list of games of interest, I like you already. If you want to run AW, or any of the other games you listed, count me in. I don't know those systems yet, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Now then, here's some pitches for the games I plan to be ready to go with:

Burning Wheel has a few easy adventures. The Sword is the demo game which last year was being run all the time by Luke Crane (game creator). I've run it before. It's always fun. For more people, there's The Gift which works best with eight(!) players, but is a great game to run. Takes about eight people. Or we can just make it all up as we go.

Paranoia I've got less experience with, but I can run it from a module. I have a pretty good one called "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Termination Booth" which I plan to hack down into something that a group can do in a few hours. Paranoia always works best with six players.

Dread Alright, Dread is a horror game. I have a one-shot I've been working on for it. It's based on Dark Dungeons (yeah, the Chick track). Up to five people. Very light on rules.

Fiasco is fantastic. It plays rather like a Coen Brothers movie. You roll up the game at the start, and in the two hours of playtime, it's certain to go completely haywire. Very much a storytelling game. Rules light.

Quest for the Tavern This is a little module that provides a reverse dungeon crawl. I'll admit I didn't like everything in it, but I cannibalized the best ideas. The basic idea is that the party starts off in the dungeon being taunted by the evil boss, and wants nothing more than to get back to the tavern for a nice, cold drink. I can run it in most any system, but right now, I'm thinking original Red Box D&D.

So that's what I plan to have ready. Let me know if you're interested. Preferable, send me a message on here to help me get things organized.

On a different note, anyone know a good way to meet up with people there? Last year phone service was next to impossible.

• Options
    I'd definitely be interested in trying Burning Wheel or Paranoia. Of course, to a certain extent all this is speculative until the schedule goes up and I can actually figure out when I'm "free" :)