As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

'O7 PC Tournaments: Rules and Info

David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
*Note that all information in this thread is subject to change between now and August, but I will do my best to finalize everything as soon as possible.*

This thread is for rules, registration guidelines, updates, schedules, and questions regarding console tournaments ONLY. This thread will NOT cover byoc activities (other than the WoW tournament), console freeplay, console tournament, or any other events, including handheld, tabletop, etc.

Schedule

Friday August 24th

5:00pm - 7:00pm: World of Warcraft (BYOC Only!)
7:30pm - 1:00am: Battlefield 2

Saturday, August 25th
12:00pm - 3:30pm: Counter Strike: Source Preliminaries
4:30pm - 7:30pm: Half Life 2 Deathmatch
8:30pm - 1:00am: Counter Strike: Source Finals

Sunday, August 26th
12:00pm - 5:00pm: World in Conflict

Registration
  • Registration for ALL PC tournaments begins on Friday, August 24th, right outside of the PC tournament area.
  • Sign-ups for Saturday and Sunday tournaments will be limited on Friday. Unrestricted registration begins the morning of a specific event, meaning sign-ups for Sunday are also restricted through Saturday. See an individual tournament's section below for more information.
  • Each tournament has two lists: Main and Standby. Once the Main list has been filled up, you can only sign up on Standby. This means you can only enter the tournament if someone from the Main list fails to show up (odds of this happening are generally pretty good). Entrees from Standby are on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Only full teams will be signed up, and it is your job to join and/or create a team, although we will help you in that task as best we can. It is recommended you linger around the pc tournament area at signup time, and at tournament time and your chances of joining a team will be Pretty Good.

General Information
  • All tournaments minus the World of Warcraft tournament will be exclusively using tournament computers provided by Intel. You will be allowed to bring over your mice and keyboards and customize your configurations, you will not be allowed to load software of any kind including special mouse drivers, mods/mutators, aimbots, pr0n, deadly viruses that will kill our network, or utilities that break into top secret government facilities.
  • If you sign up for a tournament, please be there. If you decide you will be unable to, check in with us and let us know so we can open up a spot for someone else.
  • As a general rule, it's a good idea to show up at least 20 minutes in advance of each tournament, and that will give you time to configure your settings and warm up before the tournament begins.
  • We should be able to sit teams next together for the most part, but in cases where we can't, Ventrilo servers will be available. Feel free to ask if you'd like one and we'll provide you with password information.
  • In team games, please take care in choosing a team captain. Pick someone responsible. Being tall or otherwise easily found in crowd can also help.

---

World of Warcraft

Admin: Mike "Shocker" Baum
When: Friday 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Format: Single Character Race
Player Cap: 32 (may be bumped up to 64)

Rules: Top Secret, TBA at Tournament Time

This is to ensure fairness, any WoW tournament where you can use your normal characters gives the opportunity for you to prepare for the tournament in various, unavoidable ways.

You will be using your primary characters, and while it's hard to have a completely level independent contest, pretty much anyone level 40 or above will have a good shot at winning.

Also note, that while the description is a "race", that's not to be taken literally. This is not a "get from here to there as quickly as you can". That would be dumb and boring.

---

Battlefield 2

Admin: Fallout
When: Friday, 7:30pm - 1:00am
Format: 6 v 6 Single Elimination
Team Cap: 16 Teams (96 Players)

Rules

Game Mode: Conquest
Two rounds, 20 minutes each
Winner determined by rounds won
Starting side randomly determined
Using CAL Config
Unlockables Disabled
Expansions Not Used

Maps:
16 Player Versions of the Following
Mastuur, Dragon, FuShe, Dailan, Karkland

---

CounterStrike:Source

Admins: Mif and Ghrog
Preliminaries: Saturday 12:00pm - 3:30pm
Finals: 8:30pm - 1:00am
Format: 5v5 Double Elimination after the first round.
Team Cap: 32 (160 Players)

Rules:

15 Round Halves
1:45 Round Timer
15 Second Buy Time
35 Second C4 Timer
Star Money $800
First to 16 Wins

First round is single Elimination, then Double Elimination.

Maps:
Dust2, Piranesi, Inferno, Season, Nuke, Contra, Train

---

HL2: Deathmatch

Admins: Ghrog
When: Saturday 4:30pm - 7:30pm
Format: Free For All
Player Cap: 128

Rules:

15 Minute Rounds
8 Player Games
Top 4 in Each Server Move On

Maps:
Overwatch, Lockdown, Steamlab, Powerhouse

---

World in Conflict (With $20,000 in prizes!)
Admin: Mif
When: Sunday 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Format: 5v5 Single Elimination
Player Cap: 16 teams (80 players)

Rules:
Game Mode: Domination
3 Rounds, 20 Minutes Each
Winner determined by Rounds Won
Starting Side by Coin Toss

$10,000 in prizes goes to the first place team.
$5,000 goes to the second place team.
$2,500 goes to each the third and fourth place teams.

Maps TBA

David Coffman on

• artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yay I like the scheduled times so far, gj!

also if anyone is a competetive cs player and needs a team plz pm me your info, ill pm you mine ^_^

artifice on
  • PAX_Virgin2007PAX_Virgin2007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    what do u think the top secret thingy is?""12:00pm - 5:00pm: Super Amazing Top Secret Tournament Of Awesomesauce""

PAX_Virgin2007 on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I know.

tehehe

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • PAX_Virgin2007PAX_Virgin2007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    is it worthwhile for me to even wonder about it?

PAX_Virgin2007 on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh god, time to get a CSS team together...

Wombat!! on
  • PanzeRIVPanzeRIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    On css could we get de_office instead of de_train or de_nuke they are pretty much the same anyway and maybe de_dust2 instead of de_dust oh and maybe no awps they just ruin the matches because every one gets one and then it just becomes a big camper/sniper match

PanzeRIV on
  • artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PanzeRIV wrote: »
    On css could we get de_office instead of de_train or de_nuke they are pretty much the same anyway and maybe de_dust2 instead of de_dust oh and maybe no awps they just ruin the matches because every one gets one and then it just becomes a big camper/sniper match

while your at it make sure to make a post in the consol gaming thread demanding smash melee be FFA and that items be turned on.

artifice on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I DO think that office would be a bit better than say, nuke. I also completely dispise AWPs, but it is a tourney, and there will be people that want to use AWPs.

You can't really single out a group like that, and say NO.

Wombat!! on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only reason I can think of to keep it secret is because its something not out yet... Im betting on Team Fortress 2. Because that would indeed involve awesomeness and itll be nearing completion by PAX anyways.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited July 2007
    Wait? its not out yet? Thats news to me.

and its an rts tourney, not another FPS.

BigRed on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nah, Team Fortress 2(And Portal and Half-Life 2: Episode 2) arnt out till October 9th.

RTS eh? If you guys managed to have a Starcarft 2 tournament this year, that would be nuts. Granted I wouldnt participate since I didnt like Starcraft 1, but Im in the minority on that one. If that was the case I cant imagine the chaos that would ensue involving signups for it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did you ignore the hint? I'm pretty sure hes hinting that it may indeed already be out. Therefore Starcraft 2 is unlikely. That and the Starcraft 2 release before pax is unlikely. I could be wrong though.

ThePimpImp on
    edited July 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Nah, Team Fortress 2(And Portal and Half-Life 2: Episode 2) arnt out till October 9th.

RTS eh? If you guys managed to have a Starcarft 2 tournament this year, that would be nuts. Granted I wouldnt participate since I didnt like Starcraft 1, but Im in the minority on that one. If that was the case I cant imagine the chaos that would ensue involving signups for it.

I wasn't referring to TF2. I well know when it comes out because I have been playing TF mods for *years*.

I ALSO COULD BE PURPOSELY THROWING YOU GUYS OFF.

or not... muhaha none will ever know

BigRed on
    edited July 2007
    Either way its RTS so I'm out, also its not a byoc tourney another reason I'm out.
    I might play in the BF2 tourney, other than that byoc all the way (although maybe a console tourney *gasp*)

ThePimpImp on
    edited July 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    Either way its RTS so I'm out, also its not a byoc tourney another reason I'm out.
    I might play in the BF2 tourney, other than that byoc all the way (although maybe a console tourney *gasp*)

Why if its not BYOC are you not interested in it?
    Don't want to play on a tourney computer while sitting next to your whole team? Its not like the tournament computers are going to be slow :P

BigRed on
    edited July 2007
    It really has nothing to do with computers and much more to do with the competition level. We aren't big tourney guys, and are just looking to have a good time because we are going to lose first round most likely anyways. I'll play in the BYOC tourneys because most of them that have been mentioned are hilarious and a lot more laid back as far as a tourney would go. The kinda thing that given room, might end up being played with a dance pad :) (which is probably the only way i could be seen in a CS tourney of any kind again).

Take that and factor in my vast inexperience (and hatred for) CS and the fact I don't play alot of computer FPS anymore, just make it not that appealing beyond BF2 which I know I could screw around in if I got bored. The time for CS Source also isn't that hot at noon. I'll likely be in the exhibition hall unless I get my fill on day one.

ThePimpImp on
  • uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is there any room for debate or voting on the bf2 maplist?

uc4life on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited July 2007
    You're very welcome to share opinions, and I'll pass them on to the BF2 admin.

David Coffman on
  • Comrade OneComrade One Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Because I was told to whine in this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=25291&page=3

HERE WE GO:

I humbly request a CoH 1v1 and 2v2 tourney be held for the BYOC this year. It would be awesome.

Comrade One on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm thinking it may be a StarCraft 2 Tourney as well. Blizzard will probably be there big time, especially if the WoW Tournament is using our mains. How could they have a tournament of mains from different servers, without help from Blizz?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited July 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I'm thinking it may be a StarCraft 2 Tourney as well. Blizzard will probably be there big time, especially if the WoW Tournament is using our mains. How could they have a tournament of mains from different servers, without help from Blizz?
    Sadly, Blizzard will not be involved in our tournament, although that is something I'd like to see in the future.

David Coffman on
    edited July 2007

Cause you play on your own server?
    Were you there last year for the wow tournament? :P

BigRed on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

That is particularly bizarre, but ok, you have diffused my bomb. Let's make out.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

That is particularly bizarre, but ok, you have diffused my bomb. Let's make out.

Last year it was DPS. It was a rogue with a few purples and evicerate. I think they ran deadmines and scored it that way. I don't remeber who, but it was one of the enforcers. It sounds like this year won't be dps based. I could make suppositions on what it is but I won't. I might actually enter the WoW tourney.

Viscountalpha on
    edited July 2007

Counter-Terrorists Win.

BigRed on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am the best HL2 Deathmatch player in my clan so I think I should sign up to see if I am really good or not.

My Clan's Site
    My Stats page**

**We always play with friendly fire on, so it is easy to kill yourself by shooting a teammate.
    **We only recently got the ability to count headshots, so that is why I have so few.

QUESTION:

Does "Free for all" mean that friendly fire is on or off? I am guessing it will be off.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    I would assume that free for all would mean that there are no teams, therefore friendly fire is a moot point because it's you vs. everybody.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    I would assume that free for all would mean that there are no teams, therefore friendly fire is a moot point because it's you vs. everybody.

Moe is correct.

so... sure... Friendly fire is off :P

BigRed on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »

Wow. I have only played team deathmatch. I will have to practice this free for all stuff. Oh shit! I bet spawn attacking is allowed as well. My clan does not allow spawn attacking so I am going to need to practice spawn attacking people.:twisted::twisted:

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would totally enter the WoW tourney if I could actually get my computer to PAX. Alas, my computer is so big and heavy that I have to put it in my biggest suitcase and wheel it around, and even then, that doesn't include a monitor and peripherals. >_>

padmeamanda on
    edited July 2007
    I would totally enter the WoW tourney if I could actually get my computer to PAX. Alas, my computer is so big and heavy that I have to put it in my biggest suitcase and wheel it around, and even then, that doesn't include a monitor and peripherals. >_>

You are in redmond...

There are people bringing computers from the east coast. You have no excuse for not bringing yours :P

My computer setup is a car full of stuff, its not that difficult to haul it to events such as this.

BigRed on
    edited July 2007
    WE are fitting 4 computers and 4 people in a 2 door car. 3 are going on a ferry.
    I can see no excuses for one.

ThePimpImp on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    One of us, One of us

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ahh yes, delicious standard maps for HL2DM. I can count on no hands the number of fast servers that run a standard map rotation rather than "one map 24/7" or an assortment of crap maps like dm_kilbox55555.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i'd enter the wow tournie if it was pvp

but bah

edit: also, i was also thinking the surprise game would be SC2.

but if you'll notice, there's a distinct lack of Blizzard being an exhibitor at PAX, going from the exhibition hall map.

i don't think i've seen them at PAX once, and i've been every year.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
    edited July 2007
    its probably got something to do with the distance of the trip

ThePimpImp on
  • l Casualtyl Casualty Registered User new member
    edited July 2007

lol... cs maps(hostage maps) are not played in tournaments. I agree that de_dust2 should be played instead of de_dust. But de_train is one of the most popular tournament maps, and de_nuke is just another good map, I would like to see de_inferno be played though.

l Casualty on
  • PanzeRIVPanzeRIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    why cant you have hostage maps in a tourney? it just like a bomb match but the terrorist get to guard the objective instead of ct

PanzeRIV on
    edited July 2007
    Me and a friend are looking for a group of 4 to join for bf 2. Our other teammates bailed to play in guitar hero 2 teams tourney.

ThePimpImp on
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    why cant you have hostage maps in a tourney? it just like a bomb match but the terrorist get to guard the objective instead of ct

There is a non-human element involved in such maps -- hostages and their AI interfere and result in a match which is not based on skill alone. In addition, a win via hostage rescue results in over 10,000 dollars for CTs. This allows two consecutive full buy rounds -- imagine this in the first round. It would win the match with a single round.

Oh, and... no BYOC in the CS:S tourney? I have to use a tourney comp? :(

babelfish on
This discussion has been closed.