As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Statutory [Rap]

aquabataquabat Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Im itching for some new hip hop (and none of that smooth R&B stuff Cel likes to push on me either). I've been devouring a lot of Roots Manuva lately. I heard the new Jurassic 5 album which I dont like. I think i must be one of the few people in the world not to like J5. Whatevs.

aquabat on

• YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    It seems to me like there are a lot of Jurassic 5 haters, actually.

De La Soul never gets old.

YosemiteSam on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Blackalicious.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Blackalicious.
    Oh god yes.

YosemiteSam on
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

Oh, good. They just lack a lot of spark in their music. The samples are good and the rapping is adequate, but it doesnt come together to create anything that grabs my attention
    De La Soul never gets old.

This is entirely true. I saw them a few years ago. I was all boozed up on beer and love. The crowd was so into it, it was fucking fantastic

aquabat on
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:

Oh, good. They just lack a lot of spark in their music. The samples are good and the rapping is adequate, but it doesnt come together to create anything that grabs my attention
    I never listened to them much (haven't even listened to "Quality Control"), but I'm just impressed by "A Day at the Races" and "Jurass Finish First." Some of their most popular stuff sort of sucks though ("Concrete Schoolyard").

YosemiteSam on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    If you're into Roots Manuva you've probably already heard Dizee Rascal, but I'll reccomend him anyway. Showtime is really good.

But specifically new? I got nothing.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Ahhhh

Dizee Rascal is like the Streets, but even more awesome.

I loves me some Dizee Rascal.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Ahhhh

Dizee Rascal is like the Streets, but even more awesome.

I loves me some Dizee Rascal.

Better than The Streets? Holy fuck, I gotta get this.

Check out the following Albums:

CunninLynguists - Will rap for food
    CunninLynguists - Southern Underground
    Aesop Rock - Labor Days
    The Streets - Original Pirate Material
    MF Doom - Vaudeville Villian

Treeloot on
    edited July 2006
    Dizee is like The Streets, but he's actually a rapper.

DodgeBlan on

edited July 2006
    DodgeBlan wrote:

I didnt see the part where Mike Skinner professes himself to actually be a rapper.

aquabat on
  • D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The following post has been edited to make it part of the discussion

People Under the Stairs - Incredibly mellow Hip-Hop. Perfect for driving, kicking back, falling asleep to, or (if you're so inclined) drinking and smoking to. Excellent beats, insightful lyrics with rhymes that are often complex and come out of left field.

MC Supernatural - I saw him perform once a few years ago, and was absolutely blown away, and hooked from then on. The man is a walking whirlwind of homonyms, and can match the style of any MC you yell out. He also did this thing where he has everyone in the crowd hold up a random object and he does what he calls the Hip-Hop Obstacle Course, grabbing whatever is in front of him and incorporating it flawlessly into an ongoing rhyme. Fucking amazing performer.

Ill Al the Anglo Saxon - A local guy, a white rapper who simply doesn't care what color his skin is, and doesn't use it as street cred like certain other white rappers. The guy has an honest, genuine love for hip-hop and it shines through in every beat and rhyme he puts together. Amazing performer, and an all-around laid back cat.

Drunken Immortals - Instrumental Hip-Hop. Very ethnic, urban sound - rough, but not unrefined. Very spiritual and prolific. Brad B's solo stuff is just as good, and it's worth checking out as well.

Living Legends - The name pretty much says it all. They've been around for a really long time, and they're a very big part of the Los Angeles Hip-Hop scene.

The Perceptionists (and subsequently Mr Lif and Akrobatik) - Really fun to see perform. Political and socially charged, but they're out to have a good time, as well. Sort of old-school style rhymes and beats, but they're definitely on top of their game. They really get the crowd going, and it's the type of Hip-Hop that you can dance to, or just kick back and nod your head.

RU-SKI - I'm just starting to get into his stuff, but I once saw him perform a while back, and it was straight up one MC, one DJ type stuff and a lot of spoken word. Really fast lyricist, very insightful and has a powerful stage presence. He did a little bit of breaking while rhyming, and I was really impressed. Really solid stuff, and I'm eager to hear more and more of it.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
    edited July 2006
    Guys... its a discussion. Stop listing bands you like! Talk about them!

aquabat on
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    DodgeBlan wrote:

I didnt see the part where Mike Skinner professes himself to actually be a rapper.

I know that, I was just pointing it out.

What's the opinion of Hardest Way? I was really buying the hype but the few songs I've heard on the radio get a pretty big 'meh' from me.

DodgeBlan on

edited July 2006
    Well I think that Black Thought is completely awesome. The way he constructs his raps is amazing. He lays punchlines and completions five or six lines in advance.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited July 2006
    The Streets shouldnt work, but goddammit it just does. Its his cockiness, its the beats, its different from most hip hop.

I'd dare say if you like the eclectic style of Roots Manuva then theoretically you should probably like The Streets

aquabat on
    edited July 2006
    DodgeBlan wrote:
    aquabat wrote:
    DodgeBlan wrote:

I know that, I was just pointing it out.

What's the opinion of Hardest Way? I was really buying the hype but the few songs I've heard on the radio get a pretty big 'meh' from me.

It's enjoyable, but it's not nearly as good as Original Pirate Material or A Grand Don't Come for Free.

Treeloot on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    So wait, no smooth R&B stuff?

I think the last hip hop release that got me even remotely excited was Beauty and the Beat by Edan. It's like a lo-fi, super reverby, sort of trippy hip hop with strong roots in old school rap. All the stuff by Edan is pretty cool, although Beauty and the Beat is definitely the most interesting of all his stuff.

I did like the CunninLynguists a lot when I just found them. The album A Piece of Strange is a full-length concept piece that tries to trace the breakdown of modern man, and if I understand it correctly they resume by saying more or less we fucked up by losing our way with the Lord, although this is open for interpretation. It's completely not obvious that the album is telling a full story at first, but after you realize that's what's going on and you begin to listen more closely, you see the flow between song and song and concept and concept. "Brain Cell" is this brilliant song that goes on about how the individual is trapped and the lyrics repeated references to metaphors of cages or squares or boxes. It's pretty stunning when you really wrap your head around it. Anyway, I think there's other boards where other people have discussed this whole topic more in-depth (that's where I first realized the album was even doing something bigger). Aside from that it's really listenable, too. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Otherwise the other most interesting thing that seems to be going on is Madlib and MF DOOM. Madvillainy was incredible and the follow-up to that is easily one of my most anticipated albums of this year.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Anything released in 1993.

Yar on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Yar wrote:
    Anything released in 1993.
    aka Enter the 36 Chambers, THE album that got me into hip-hop. God bless that album.

Also, it should be noted, Illmatic was in 1994, so let's not get too premature here.

edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    So wait, no smooth R&B stuff?

I think the last hip hop release that got me even remotely excited was Beauty and the Beat by Edan. It's like a lo-fi, super reverby, sort of trippy hip hop with strong roots in old school rap. All the stuff by Edan is pretty cool, although Beauty and the Beat is definitely the most interesting of all his stuff.

I did like the CunninLynguists a lot when I just found them. The album A Piece of Strange is a full-length concept piece that tries to trace the breakdown of modern man, and if I understand it correctly they resume by saying more or less we fucked up by losing our way with the Lord, although this is open for interpretation. It's completely not obvious that the album is telling a full story at first, but after you realize that's what's going on and you begin to listen more closely, you see the flow between song and song and concept and concept. "Brain Cell" is this brilliant song that goes on about how the individual is trapped and the lyrics repeated references to metaphors of cages or squares or boxes. It's pretty stunning when you really wrap your head around it. Anyway, I think there's other boards where other people have discussed this whole topic more in-depth (that's where I first realized the album was even doing something bigger). Aside from that it's really listenable, too. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Otherwise the other most interesting thing that seems to be going on is Madlib and MF DOOM. Madvillainy was incredible and the follow-up to that is easily one of my most anticipated albums of this year.

Man, I fucking hated A Piece of Strange. CunninLynguists first two albums appealed to me because of their extremely funny and catchy songs as well as their more serious songs. I didn't find any catchy beats on A Piece of Strange. I didn't love CunninLynguists first two albums a lot the first times I heard them, though they quickly grew on me. A Piece of Strange never grew on me. Should I give it another chance?

Edit: Dodgeblan, are you sure Dizee is the right name? I'm not finding anything on him.

Edit 2: Dizzee Rascal?

Treeloot on
    edited July 2006
    Treeloot wrote:
    Man, I fucking hated A Piece of Strange. CunninLynguists first two albums appealed to me because of their extremely funny and catchy songs as well as their more serious songs. I didn't find any catchy beats on A Piece of Strange. I didn't love CunninLynguists first two albums a lot the first times I heard them, though they quickly grew on me. A Piece of Strange never grew on me. Should I give it another chance?
    To be honest, I haven't even gotten around to listening to the other CunninLynguists albums because I've been so fixed on A Piece of Strange. Admittedly it didn't get me really excited until I figured there was an album-length movement of ideas, up until then I just thought it was solid, not particularly genius or transcendent. Now I'm thinking it might be one of the finer hip hop entries in some time, because that shit is really smart and really clever.

edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Treeloot wrote:
    To be honest, I haven't even gotten around to listening to the other CunninLynguists albums because I've been so fixed on A Piece of Strange. Admittedly it didn't get me really excited until I figured there was an album-length movement of ideas, up until then I just thought it was solid, not particularly genius or transcendent. Now I'm thinking it might be one of the finer hip hop entries in some time, because that shit is really smart and really clever.

CunninLynguists earlier albums had tons of clever shit, that jumped right out at me as being clever.
    Yo; bailing on my Big Wheel, dressed to kill
    Jeans with the knee pads, slanted Raccoon hat
    Wiffleball bat in my holster, rollin
    Supersoaker filled with piss, patrollin
    Thugged out, get drugged out of your own treehouse
    Hangin hives on jungle gyms, lettin the bees out

Treeloot on
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    I've been listening to practically nothing all year long but the recent Dangermouse projects and old MF Doom.

I R boring.

mcc on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    What is the ETA on the new Madlib/Doom album? That is what I want to know.

yakul on
    edited July 2006
    Treeloot wrote:
    Edit 2: Dizzee Rascal?

thats it. Give Boy In Da Corner a listen. From what you've listed, I can pretty much guarantee you will like it.
    And if you want to try specific tracks,

Fix up look sharp
    Jezebel
    Showtime

DodgeBlan on

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I am glad to see The Streets mentioned.

They're the only hip hop I've heard that I've liked, like ever.

INeedNoSalt on
  • BongoBongo Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    yakul wrote:
    What is the ETA on the new Madlib/Doom album? That is what I want to know.

No clue, I'm more excited about Doom/Ghostface though. Too bad it's still a ways off.

Jurassic 5's having their new album release party type dealie here in Seattle at the EMP followed by a show at the Showbox.

I already got tickets to the EMP dealie, and will probably go buy advance tickets for the show after it.

Anyone else here dig Macklemore? Probably my favorite right now (give his song, "White Priviledge" a listen), though I'm not sure if he's well known outside of the NW.

Bongo on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Doom and Ghostface you say?

Together on "the Mask" they were great. Fishscale was a pretty solid record too. Had a spot on NPR for some reason.

yakul on
    edited July 2006
    How is it those Lord of the Rings geeks get to 3 pages when Hip Hop is obviously supremely more awesome and we're only at 2 pages?

Laaaame

aquabat on
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    How is it those Lord of the Rings geeks get to 3 pages when Hip Hop is obviously supremely more awesome and we're only at 2 pages?

Laaaame
    Maybe I should just start repping TI and Jay Z and Fiddy all up in the post, and I could start a little bitch fest.

I personally really like 50 Cent's debut. Oh, and I love Marshall Mathers, his whole catalogue. I think Eminem is really really talented actually.

edited July 2006
    Every once in a while I get an irresistable urge to listen to Liquid Swords, particularly the title track. I mention that because I just got one. It is my personal definition of a tight track. I'm blaming any typos in this on my head bangin'.

YosemiteSam on
    edited July 2006
    Every once in a while I get an irresistable urge to listen to Liquid Swords, particularly the title track. I mention that because I just got one. It is my personal definition of a tight track. I'm blaming any typos in this on my head bangin'.
    That album is a definite classic. It was the title track that eventually led me to discover Lone Wolf and Cub and I'll always be grateful for that.

My second favorite Wu-Tang release to Enter the 36 Chambers.

edited July 2006
    Ooh, what's Lone Wolf and Cub?

I was just about to say, the GZA's opening verse on Clan in Da Front is just about as tight.

YosemiteSam on
  • #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I have the Original Pirate Material LP case hanging in a list above my desk. Classic.

Dizzee is very different though.

#14 on
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    You should give The Tipping Point by The Roots a listen. It's probably my favorite hip-hop album. Also, try Mos Def (his collaboration with Talib Kweli, Blackstar, is wonderful).

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • chitowncowboychitowncowboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Can anyone recommend any hip hop thats still considered 'hp-hop' and not 'gangsta', but actually has good beats and such? Im not much of a fan of singing and light beats, which seems to be all I can find wrapped around a good message. I like crunk and southern rap, really heavy beats, but I dont like the subject matter too much.

Any suggestions?

chitowncowboy on
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Can anyone recommend any hip hop thats still considered 'hp-hop' and not 'gangsta', but actually has good beats and such? Im not much of a fan of singing and light beats, which seems to be all I can find wrapped around a good message. I like crunk and southern rap, really heavy beats, but I dont like the subject matter too much.

Any suggestions?

See above, Mos Def and Talib Kweli- BlackStar

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • chitowncowboychitowncowboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Eh.

I recommend Lupe Fiasco if you havent already heard him. Hes underground here in Chicago. Im not a big fan, but hes supossed to be good.

chitowncowboy on
    edited July 2006
    I personally don't really enjoy Dizee when he isn't being misogynistic or angry or depressed.

The man makes being pissed off incredibly compelling listening.

Speaking of misogyny, whats the opinion on The Mighty O?

I'm really looking forward to Idlewild, and although alot of people aren't too fussed about Mighty O i think it sounds great. Both Andre and BB are on top of their game.

DodgeBlan on

• The Nameless OneThe Nameless One Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Dizzee Rascal is even more of a cock than Mike Skinner...if that's even possible.

aqua...have you checked out Common? I think you'd dig him.

The Nameless One on