As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shenmue the Movie

FTVFTV Registered User regular
edited July 2006 in PAX Archive
I was just watching the Shenmue Movie DVD that comes with Shenmue 2 on XBOX and it has so many classically bad lines and genuine bad ass-ness by our man Ryo I thought to myself, "This NEEDS to be shown in front of a ton of nerds at PAX." It would go really well so if Khoo needs one more thing to fill in the Big Theater schedule, letting that DVD play would serve a nerd's needs. Might even muster up a little desire in people for that 3rd game they haven't released yet.

FTV on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2006
    Hmm, this is definitely an interesting idea. I'll look into it!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Well, while we're considering movie screenings, may I throw out Mystery Science Theater 3000 as an option?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Well, while we're considering movie screenings, may I throw out Mystery Science Theater 3000 as an option?

Yes. Throw it out. It doesn't belong.

:D

Seriously, though. I'd say that Last Starfighter, TRON or, hell, even the MGS3 movie that was made for Subsistence should be shown before MST3k is even considered.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Oh god, The Last Starfighter. That film must be shown! It's fantastic! Please, please consider it.

Amazon: Currently $9.88

Edit: you can also apparently get it as a doubleheader with Short Circuit for under twenty bucks.

The total runtime for the movies, back-to-back, is an even 200 minutes. If we start that at, say, 10:00 P.M. Saturday night in the Satellite Theatre, it would be done around 1:30 A.M., leaving a bit of time to clear out the space before doors close. While it could conceivably fit in Friday night, it would be a real squeeze.

Putting the movies in this space would leave a place for those without bracelets to go during the concerts, or just somewhere to crash if you don't fancy being spat upon by MC Chris.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    doczerodoczero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Starfighter: Good one!
    Wargames for teh win!
    "I'd piss on a sparkplug if I thought it would do any good."– Gen. Jack Beringer

DocZero

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Oh God, Shenmue the Movie. This is a very good idea. <3

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    a question?

Nephirij on
  • Options
    MrPulsarMrPulsar Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

Seriously, though. I'd say that Last Starfighter, TRON or, hell, even the MGS3 movie that was made for Subsistence should be shown before MST3k is even considered.

Ditto on that MGS3 movie. I wanted to get it, but I didn't get the limited edition. It'd be awesome to see it at PAX!

MrPulsar on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    MrPulsar wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

Ditto on that MGS3 movie. I wanted to get it, but I didn't get the limited edition. It'd be awesome to see it at PAX!

I got it. Huzzah!

Legacy on
  • Options
    MrPulsarMrPulsar Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    MrPulsar wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

I got it. Huzzah!

Alright, now you have to bring it, even if they don't show it, I will hunt you down to let me watch it! (I have to see it.)

I really think showing it would be a good idea, because MGS3 has probably one of the best - if not the best - storylines a game has ever had.

MrPulsar on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    MGS3 the Movie? I see. Alright, I'll give it a try.

FTV on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Hey, how about Bang the Machine?

Oh wait, they aren't showing that movie to anyone, anywhere because they are afraid it is going to get pirated. Good to know that it is safe in a dusty filing cabinet in the producer's basement. Seriously, has this movie ever been viewed?

But another interesting indy film that is due to be released this year is American Gamer, which is similar to Bang the Machine in that it follows teams of gamers as they compete. Except instead of Street Fighter it is Counter-Strike. It also talks a bit about the money made with sponsorship and how promoters are seeking to make gaming a televised spectator sport.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    slacktron wrote:
    Hey, how about Bang the Machine?

Oh wait, they aren't showing that movie to anyone, anywhere because they are afraid it is going to get pirated. Good to know that it is safe in a dusty filing cabinet in the producer's basement. Seriously, has this movie ever been viewed?

It was going to be shown at PAX last year but they stopped it from being shown at the last minute for that exact reason...

Legacy on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    *makes a whooshing noise, and mimes a plane flying over Legacy's head*

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    ctishman wrote:

Hey, I didn't know if he was referencing last PAX or not.

Shaddup.

Legacy on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

Hey, I didn't know if he was referencing last PAX or not.

Shaddup.

To be fair, it is extremely likely that they pulled the movie from some other venue in order to "prevent piracy". You have to admit, never showing the movie is pretty foolproof copy protection.

I wonder how long it will be until PC games adopt this scheme?

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    never if i have anything to say about it. *gets into ninja suit*

Nephirij on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Uh Khoo? Did this end up looking like it would work? Still undecided?

FTV on