As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] 2012 Assassins! - Assassins Ball (Shipped Kits update! March 30) [106!]

MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in PAX Archive
Shipped Kits Update
I have good news and bad news about shipped kits. The good news is I know exactly where they are but the bad news is they are back in my house right now. I went outside this morning and found a big post office box full of kits returned due to insufficient postage.

Apparently the package type I chose for printing postage on the kits was not correct so the kits were returned. It seems the postage rates have gone up over the last year so shipping one kit is about 1.95 which was a surprise to me. If this had happened earlier in the week I would just add postage and resend them out, but since its so close to PAX now I'm going to hand them out at the show to ensure people get them. I haven't gone through the kits yet to see if they are all there so it's possible some kits may be delivered but it appears a large number were returned.

I'll be sending an email out to everyone who ordered (shipped and pick-up) tonight detailing where and when kits can be picked up. I'd also like to see if anyone would like to help me distribute kits or have any ideas to make distribution easier.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. I'm going to try and make this as easy as possible for you guys to get your kits and get in the game.

invitation_trans.png
Assassins returns! This year we are doing things somewhat different from past games so check below for whats changing and whats new! For those who are ready to order your kits you can do so here.

What is Assassins Ball?
In Assassins Ball you are given a mission to find a specific player while avoiding players trying to find you. When you find your target you “assassinate” them and take up their current mission to find a player. Each assassination can be registered online and nets you points on our leaderboards. Your overall objective is to assassinate as many players as possible before you yourself are assassinated or the game ends.

Factions NEW!
Assassins Ball brings a new element to the game: Factions. Players will be able to select from one of five themed factions. The factions are listed below, but to find out more go to http://phenixone.com/games/assassins/factions.

faction_example.png

Factions are a way to provide a more immersive experience using story and themes. They will also be used as an additional modifier in determining your potential targets.

Achievements NEW!
We feel like points just aren't enough to commemorate your kills anymore and with that in mind we're adding shiny new achievements for actions both big and small. We'll have more info about achievements soon.

How it Works
Ordering Kits
To play in the PAX East game, you'll need to go to our website and purchase a kit. Kits are $5.50 plus shipping. For those who have played an Assassins game and still have their badge holder you can order an upgrade for $3.00 plus shipping.

The cost of the kit is comprised of the material costs only. Shipping is $1.50 per kit, but is capped at the US Flat Ship Postal Rate for different locales, which means once you order enough kits shipping stays the same. i.e. In the US 4 kits will max out the shipping at $5.35. To save on international shipping rates, orders outside the US can be picked up before or during the show.

Your Kit
Your kit contains everything you'll need to play. The main item in your kit is your player badge and an armband badge holder. Your badge has a 5-letter code and a symbol, made up of a shape and a color and faction. This represents you in the game and is what other players will look for on you to see if you are their target. It is also what you will look for on other players.

The badge holder is a vertical armband badge holder and is what you'll wear your badge in and for Full Kit orders it will arrive liked this. We ask that you wear it on your right arm about midway up with the badge pointing out to your right. This way players will be able to identify other players quickly without having to look all over.

The smaller card in your kit is your first Mission Card (called a KillTag in previous games). The major elements of your Mission Card are a shape, one or two colors and a faction sigil. These elements represent your target. The closer your target matches the elements described in your Mission Card the more points you will receive for your kill.

The final item in your kit is a card with a code on it. This is your Death Card and it is to be given to a player if they assassinate you along with your current Mission Card. Likewise, when you assassinate another player they will give you theirs. Once you have lost your Death Card and current Mission Card you can no longer make assassinations.
kit_example.png

Finding Targets
Any player whose badge matches the shape displayed on your Mission Card is a potential target even if their color and faction do not match those displayed. Assassinations where only the shape listed in your mission matches is called a Generic Kill and is worth the least amount of points of any kill. The more elements you can match on your mission to your target the more points you will get. It may well be worth it to let a generic target walk away and instead focus on more specific prey.

Assassinations are verbal only! Please do not use weapons or props.

Don't see something covered here or uncertain about a rule? Got a suggestion or constructive criticism? Think this is awesome? Ordered a kit? Let us know below! We're very excited about this years game and we hope you are too!

Note we'll be adding more information shortly, including images to give you and idea of the different parts of the kit as well as info on how you can help us pick the final two factions.

Rules
We've released a draft of our rules for you to look over and comment or ask questions about. We're committed to being as clear as possible about how to play so let us know if you're unsure about how something works is worded. You can find the draft release here.

Community Rules (Optional)
This section is for optional rules offered up by the community. Let us know if you have a suggestion for an optional rule.

Loot or Booty
While it's not fun to be killed, it is fun to give presents! You can die with a smile knowing your killer will enjoy your parting gift, taken off your lifeless corpse. Preferably something small you can give to all ages.

Signature Kills
Who says the dead get to have all the fun of giving? Leave something behind to mark your crime and that your target can enjoy in the afterlife while you fade into the shadows.

Help us get the word out!
Assassins grows primarily through word of mouth. Help us get the word out and let us know any suggestions you have on reaching people! Here's some ways we're connecting with people:
  • Twitter handle for Assassins news and updates: @PAXAssassins (Also great idea Magpie Maydin on the #PAXassin hashtag!)
  • We've created a Google + page for Assassins as well. We think Twitter and a Google hangout would be a great way to communicate player positions in real time during the convention.
  • Each faction can now be shared on Google+ and Facebook. Support your faction and let your friends know about Assassins Ball!

Faction Populations
  • Kingsport Raiders (27)
  • Robot Ninjas (27)
  • Varsity Dead (14)
  • Cowboy 'Verse (20)
  • Sparkly Ponies (16)

MarsChelios on

• Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    This is awesome.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    this is amazing. i'm thinking of pledging varsity dead.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Oh my god this is amazing. This reminds me exactly of Assassins Creed: Revelations Multiplayer and is something I'll be participating in.

I think assassinations should require a tap on the back along with verbal communication because it gets loud at PAX and theres the chance that you won't hear yourself getting assassinated.

I think that you should remove the intel altogether- once you die, you're out.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I am interested. a bit overwhelmed, but very interested. Sounds fun.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ok, I'm back in for being an assassin's target. Problem, though: when submitting the order form to Google, the checkout page shows $5.50 for the upgrade kit + $1.50 for shipping, instead of $3 for the upgrade kit. Did I misread something?

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Ok, I'm back in for being an assassin's target. Problem, though: when submitting the order form to Google, the checkout page shows $5.50 for the upgrade kit + $1.50 for shipping, instead of $3 for the upgrade kit. Did I misread something?
    I'd imagine not because I read $3 for the upgrade kit as well.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    dyaballikl wrote:

Nope, you're right. Just a bit of an issue with the ordering form. Fixed now. Glad to have you back! Should I give QS23 your symbol like before?

I am interested. a bit overwhelmed, but very interested. Sounds fun.

Great, let me know if you have any questions!

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    I feel like there needs to be a cowboy or samurai faction if you're adding more, but i'm a nerd and have odd obsessions. Oh well either way i'll be in.

• Options
    Cool! Do we have to wear Ninja costumes? Where does the badge go? On our lanyard? What do we say to our targets? Heehee. It sounds fun.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    MxWood wrote:
    I feel like there needs to be a cowboy or samurai faction if you're adding more, but i'm a nerd and have odd obsessions. Oh well either way i'll be in.

oooh, something kind of gunslinger-y would be pretty fantastic.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This. Is. Amazing. I am thinking that if even my husband isn't in, I am.

As for suggestions for the other two factions, what about something Assassins Creed themed? Maybe just call it the Assassins Order? And I love the idea of a gunslinger faction. Anyone into the Dark Tower series would be into that.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    This sounds amazing, but I am just too busy at PAX for it. :(

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    My only issue is that when I played in 2010 at the much smaller Hynes..... I saw maybe 4 badges total, and one of them was the guy who came with me. And man, was I looking.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    CastainCastain Registered User regular
    Kiashien wrote:
    My only issue is that when I played in 2010 at the much smaller Hynes..... I saw maybe 4 badges total, and one of them was the guy who came with me. And man, was I looking.

I'd be kind of worried about that too. How many people took part last year?

• Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    I am so glad that you are running this again, mars.

I think one of the main ideas behind having the intel part is increasing participation. If people can still earn points even after they have 'lost', it encourages them to wear their tags prominently and continuously. The more people that are wearing their armbands, the more visibility the game has, and the more interested people are in trying it out next time. To encourage that, I think that every little bit of participation should be rewarded with points or progress toward achievements, or something. So, here are my thoughts on improving intel: You gain two points for finding a person, and one point for being found. That sounds vulnerable to gaming and would need additional thought, mebbe something like only getting intel points for opposing factions, or reduced points for members of the same faction, but the core idea is there. Do a thing, get a stuff.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    Magpie MaydinMagpie Maydin Magpie Maydin RuneterraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well if less people take part because not enough people are playing... You get the idea.

It's not a large cost, and we can tweet taunts and clues all day to #PAXassin if we feel like there will be too much "challenge" added by a too-diluted pool of candidates. Perhaps an achievement for the number of times you tweet your location and survive at least an hour after?

Magpie Maydin on
  • Options
    It's not a large cost, and we can tweet taunts and clues all day to #PAXassin if we feel like there will be too much "challenge" added by a too-diluted pool of candidates. Perhaps an achievement for the number of times you tweet your location and survive at least an hour after?

+1, awesome idea!

• Options
    Castain wrote:
    I'd be kind of worried about that too. How many people took part last year?

In 2010 it was like 22 or so. I don't think it ran at East in 2011, but it may have and I just may have missed it.

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    Well if less people take part because not enough people are playing... You get the idea.

agree with all of this. even if there aren't a lot of people playing, if you don't mind parting with a few bucks, wearing the badge around will at least increase visibility and interest for the future. plus i LOVE the tweeting idea and think it will really help make this more fun, even with limited players.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Kiashien wrote:
    In 2010 it was like 22 or so. I don't think it ran at East in 2011, but it may have and I just may have missed it.

The 2010 East game had around 70 people but considering it was the first time we ran at East that was to be expected. We took a year off after that game so there aren't any numbers to follow. Prime games were usually 125-140 players. We're estimating 120 this time, but of course we could be low or high on that.

Peoples mileage varies on how many players they run into. It's definitely an issue and something were going to be focusing on fixing in the future. To counteract it in the meantime we're going to be trying harder to get the word out to more players and to provide ways for you guys to communicate.

Here's what we've got in mind so far:
    • New twitter handle for Assassins news and updates: @PAXAssassins (Also great idea Magpie Maydin on the #PAXassin hashtag!)
    • We've started integrating Google+ into the site, with Facebook to follow. This will make it easier to let friends know about the game.
    • We've created a Google + page for Assassins as well. We think Twitter and a Google hangout would be a great way to communicate player positions in real time during the convention.

Great ideas guys, keep them coming!

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Can you tell us more about what needs to be displayed. Sounds like there are badges and armbands. Is the badge on the arm? Is the badge hang on your PAX badge and there is also an armband?

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    Peoples mileage varies on how many players they run into. It's definitely an issue and something were going to be focusing on fixing in the future. To counteract it in the meantime we're going to be trying harder to get the word out to more players and to provide ways for you guys to communicate.

It won't be so hard if people do a little dress up for thier faction.

I hope this will be coming to Prime.

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:
    I'd imagine not because I read $3 for the upgrade kit as well.
    *rageface*
    PAX is like Soviet Russia: Waldo finds you!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Cool! Do we have to wear Ninja costumes? Where does the badge go? On our lanyard? What do we say to our targets? Heehee. It sounds fun.
    You don't have to wear costumes but it couldn't hurt! There's nothing specific to say other than letting them know you're there assassins, so the more creative the better! The rules do outline some steps to follow about what you should collect from them to ensure you can register the kill and keep playing. The rules havent been released yet (soon!) but here's the section I'm referring to:
    • Take your targets current Mission Card and Death Card, both of which should be located in their badge holder. You shouldn’t have to ask for these, but be ready to help a player who is unfamiliar with the rules.
    • Take your old Mission Card and store it with the target’s Death Card by slipping it through the slots in their Death Card. Store this away from your new current Mission Card and your own Death Card.
    • Take your new Mission Card and place it behind your Badge. Begin searching for your new target.
    Beker wrote:
    Can you tell us more about what needs to be displayed. Sounds like there are badges and armbands. Is the badge on the arm? Is the badge hang on your PAX badge and there is also an armband?
    Sorry about the confusion guys, I've updated the OP to be a little more specific there. The armband I'm referring to is the badge holder, specifically a vertical badge holder. We ask that you wear it on your right arm about midway up with the badge pointing out to your right so that players will be able to identify other players quickly without having to look all over. We're trying to be clearer on that point than in past games to prevent any issues with that.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Cool. Thanks for clarity. Can the arm band be worn at/just below the elbow? I ask because I will be in cosplay and the sleeves are rolled up just above the elbow.

As a token/calling card to my victims, could I leave one of the Trading cards I'm having from the Trading club, and give a challenge coin to my killer?

Also, in tying in with my main cosplay, could a faction be The SPARTAN II Program? I'm a halo nerd.

KellyShepard087 on

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    I suggested to some of my friends that they should play this year, but they don't want to be interrupted during things. I told them it's in the rules.. but it isn't right now. :) Woops! It was when I played in 2010... So uh.. yea.

• Options
    I asked my husband last night and he is in!

Now to decide which faction. When do you plan to have the decision made for the final two?

• Options
    Kiashien wrote:
    I suggested to some of my friends that they should play this year, but they don't want to be interrupted during things. I told them it's in the rules.. but it isn't right now. :) Woops! It was when I played in 2010... So uh.. yea.

i would imagine people would understand wheaton's law is in effect. it's supposed to be fun, no one should be hassling someone who is obviously occupied.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Kiashien wrote:

i would imagine people would understand wheaton's law is in effect. it's supposed to be fun, no one should be hassling someone who is obviously occupied.

Mars usually puts it in the rules that certain places are exempt - panels, BYOC, freeplay areas, bathrooms, hotel rooms, etc. I'm sure once he gets them up for this year it'll be spelled out more specifically.

Looking forward to playing again, man. Glad to see you got it up and running in time - we all appreciate it! :)

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    OMG!!!! I want to be a part of this!!!

• Options
    VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    Oh Link <3 I've never participated in a PAX game, so I'm going to do this. Sounds fun!

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • Options
    pligganeasepligganease Registered User regular
    This sounds really fun, gonna buy my kit soon

• Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'm so glad this is back. I will be buying 2 kits shortly

AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    As a token/calling card to my victims, could I leave one of the Trading cards I'm having from the Trading club, and give a challenge coin to my killer?
    Those sound like great ideas for Signature Kills and Loot!

Great idea for the remaining factions so far everybody, keep posting your ideas. My goal is to get the the remaining two factions in place in the new two weeks and we're going to be putting some things together so you can submit your faction ideas on the site. What we'll be looking for is a name and a description that's very evoking, the more options for costumes is also a plus. Here's a few ideas we had, let us know what you think:
    • Steampunk Mafia
    • Hipster Agent (He had a license to kill before it was cool)
    • Space Cowboy
    Also the first three factions now have their own pages. We've set up some Facebook and Google+ magic to get them to look all fancy if you'd like to support your faction and help spread the word.
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Kiashien wrote:

Mars usually puts it in the rules that certain places are exempt - panels, BYOC, freeplay areas, bathrooms, hotel rooms, etc. I'm sure once he gets them up for this year it'll be spelled out more specifically.

Wheatons law IS in effect and its definitely against the rules to interrupt someones fun to kill them. The rules pdf and site page should be ready sometime this weekend for you guys to peruse and ask questions on.

• Options

Wheatons law IS in effect and its definitely against the rules to interrupt someones fun to kill them. The rules pdf and site page should be ready sometime this weekend for you guys to peruse and ask questions on.

Oh, I know, it just is hard to convince them when the rules aren't up yet :) Thank you for getting them up soon- I'll see what I can do about driving interest!

• Options
    Those sound like great ideas for Signature Kills and Loot!
    Cool! I will be buying my kit next week when I get paid, if they are still available. If not, give a heads up and I'll snag one sooner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Oh Link <3 I've never participated in a PAX game, so I'm going to do this. Sounds fun!

VICTORY!!!! Assassin's is such an awesome game and to be something of this magnitude will be AWESOME! Ah! Cannot wait for the insanity to take place and who will reign supreme!

• Options
    Great idea for the remaining factions so far everybody, keep posting your ideas. My goal is to get the the remaining two factions in place in the new two weeks and we're going to be putting some things together so you can submit your faction ideas on the site. What we'll be looking for is a name and a description that's very evoking, the more options for costumes is also a plus. Here's a few ideas we had, let us know what you think:
    • Steampunk Mafia
    • Space Cowboy
    I like the sound of these. "space cowboy" and "Steampunk Mafia" Win!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Kit = Ordered.

Requiescat in pace.

• Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    • Steampunk Mafia
    • Space Cowboy
    I like the sound of these. "space cowboy" and "Steampunk Mafia" Win!

out of those 3 I support those 2, but I am so anti hipster...