As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrestling 2012: SET THE FUNKASAURUS FREE

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think anyone could be a credible threat to the title ever if they cashed in MITB and lost.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    It'll happen. This is wrestling, one day down the line someone will fuck it up and lose it.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote:
    Of the people who haven't won World titles yet, McIntyre and Barrett are the most deserving, no doubt

And don't you dare say Ziggler deserves it more, because he already held a World title, and yes, a 5 minute reign does so count

What the hell has McIntyre ever done to deserve a World Championship?

He's talented, a great athlete, he works hard, he's put up with the terrible gimmick that is him winning maybe a handful of times all last year

I'm not saying he has to win it this year or anything, but he definitely needs to hold a World title at least once in the next few years

Barrett should win one this year though, they've already given him enough build up

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Maximum wrote:
    It'll happen. This is wrestling, one day down the line someone will fuck it up and lose it.

I'm not saying it won't happen

But if it does, then they should get rid of the concept afterwards

If someone cashes it in and loses, then why would someone else want it next year? Why would someone strive to earn something that wouldn't be a sure thing to give them a World title? Not to mention what The Geek said.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Of the people who haven't won World titles yet, McIntyre and Barrett are the most deserving, no doubt

Cody

Fucking

Rhodes

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote:

I'm not saying it won't happen

But if it does, then they should get rid of the concept afterwards

If someone cashes it in and loses, then why would someone else want it next year? Why would someone strive to earn something that wouldn't be a sure thing to give them a World title? Not to mention what The Geek said.

Because it's a shot at it that they wouldn't otherwise get

That's the actual purpose of the briefcase, the pseudo-streak is just a fun fact really

• Options
    Also, they do have people close to fucking up

Remember Del Rio and Bryan? How almost every week Del Rio would try and cash in and be foiled and retreat? And Bryan cashed in once and won, but then it was overturned because the champ was hurt?

They keep teasing that the MITB holder will fuck up cashing in because they keep fucking up trying to cash in, and that's good enough. It plants doubt in the viewer's head, and then surprises them when the holder winds up cashing in and actually wins

• Options
    Hullis wrote:

Cody

Fucking

Rhodes

I still say the best Cody Rhodes was Cody Rhodes with Face Mask

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote:
    I like Droo, but he doesn't really deserve a world title.

But he's the Chosen One...

• Options

Remember Del Rio and Bryan? How almost every week Del Rio would try and cash in and be foiled and retreat? And Bryan cashed in once and won, but then it was overturned because the champ was hurt?

They keep teasing that the MITB holder will fuck up cashing in because they keep fucking up trying to cash in, and that's good enough. It plants doubt in the viewer's head, and then surprises them when the holder winds up cashing in and actually wins

How is that a surprise when you know the person is never going to actually lose?

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The list goes Cody, Barrett, Truth, in that order.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    the losing streak thing worked for MVP

why not for Droooooo

• Options
    Maximum wrote:

How is that a surprise when you know the person is never going to actually lose?

It makes the viewer (the average viewer doesn't remember much, see last year's Taker/HHH WM match being their "first WM match ever") believe this time will be different

• Options
    The top of the list is actually Regal, but I just can't see that happening, sadly.

• Options
    I really wish they had given Finlay the belt once before he retired

Finlay was awesome

Regal needs it too

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    finlay was great and goddamn did he not slow up even a smidge in his old age

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Hullis wrote:

Cody

Fucking

Rhodes

I still say the best Cody Rhodes was Cody Rhodes with Face Mask

Not disagreeing but he has by far earned it more than drew (and maybe even wade)

• Options
    I would like to see Cody get a main event push at some point

Getting a few lucky beatdowns/wins over Orton doesn't count as a main event push, although that angle was well done

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I hope Cody gets his push before his inevitable wellness violation, because goddamn he got super ripped awfully fast.

Almost like he broke into Randy's secret stash.

Maximum on
  • Options
    If Mason Ryan hasn't violated Wellness, Cody Rhodes sure as hell hasn't.

• Options
    Actually, the way someone could cash in, lose, and not have it make him look totally weak would be if they did something like D-Bry was originally going to do such as cashing in for an actual match instead of taking advantage of a prone champ after a beating.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Or just have a third party come in and screw the guy out of it while the ref is distracted. There's a lot of ways it could work but you'd need to do it with a face so they get that feel good rematch and eventually win the belt at the end of the storyline.

• Options
    Maximum wrote:
    Or just have a third party come in and screw the guy out of it while the ref is distracted. There's a lot of ways it could work but you'd need to do it with a face so they get that feel good rematch and eventually win the belt at the end of the storyline.

They wouldn't necessarily have to win at the end of the story. Just losing on their own merits or getting screwed by a run in works fine. I mean, then it's just like a title shot earned via Rumble. If they have a match and lose, they don't look as much as a useless fop as if they had the champ on a silver platter and still lost.

Speaking of, anyone have stats handy on how often the Rumble winner ended up winning his title match at Mania?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    In the last decade, 6 Rumble winners have won at Mania, but the last 4 years in a row, the Rumble winner has always lost (Cena, Orton, Edge, Del Rio)

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Is there something wrong/bad about Sara Del Ray?

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    What I thought. So is this just another way of taking shots at the WWE's Divas, which are more for looks than anything else and if you haven't accepted that by now you're in denial?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Sheamus will break the losing streak at Mania. At least he better.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Yeah divas are all about looks, and that'll never change, right kharma?

• Options
    I wanna see Barrett and Ziggler feud and the winner is decided by whoever has the poofiest hair at the end of the match.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Hullis wrote:

Kharma's appeal is not her look? Really? Is she the greatest technical wrestler ever and nobody knows about it? Or is she large and intimidating?

Today you learned the word "look" does not always mean "beauty"

Goose! on
  • Options
    I said "all about looks"
    Kharma is big and scary looking but also good in ring

Beth looks great but is also competent

Ya gotta stop making sweeping generalizations/being so full of yaself

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Beth is more the exception that proves the rule than anything else (although she is attractive in her own way).

Vince uses the Divas as a sideshow to appeal to those that like to look at boobies. I don't think I'd ever say that they seriously had a good Women's division ever in the time I've watched wrestling.

Goose! on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote:
    Hullis wrote:

Kharma's appeal is not her look? Really? Is she the greatest technical wrestler ever and nobody knows about it? Or is she large and intimidating?

Today you learned the word "look" does not always mean "beauty"

I'm sort of interested in what you mean by "look", Goose.

Because its not like any of the Divas have a strong image, aside from Kharma. Even Beth is pretty bland.

They try to package it as being eye candy, but even TNA has them beat there.

• Options
    Goose! wrote:

Vince uses the Divas as a sideshow to appeal to those that like to look at boobies.
    If this is true then you are contradicting yourself as Kharma's look is definitely non-standard for divas, same with beth and nattie, indicating that there may be some change.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    In the last decade, 6 Rumble winners have won at Mania, but the last 4 years in a row, the Rumble winner has always lost (Cena, Orton, Edge, Del Rio)

And yet, winning the Rumble is still considered a valuable prize.

Kind of nips the theory that one person losing a MITB cash in will ruin it forever in the bud.

• Options
    Hullis wrote:
    Goose! wrote:

Vince uses the Divas as a sideshow to appeal to those that like to look at boobies.
    If this is true then you are contradicting yourself as Kharma's look is definitely non-standard for divas, same with beth and nattie, indicating that there may be some change.

Kharma has appeal in her look, not in the boobies department, but definitely in the sideshow department.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Orton and Del Rio were heels at the time so them losing at Mania wasn't that surprising.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Raw tonight:

Ron Simmons is the next inductee into the HOF
    HHH will show up
    And there is expected to be an announcement regarding the NASCAR Daytona 500, possibly a WWE sponsorship deal.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    So Are You Serious is basically WWE doing its own Wrestlecrap with Road Dogg and Josh Matthews, like Dolph Ziggler's WWE Download is basically their Tosh.0

Goose! on
This discussion has been closed.