As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[mini Phalla] Euro 2012! Italy 2 - 1 Ireland (AET) - Village Win!

AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Critical Failures
The UEFA European Football Championship!

Euro-2012-Draw.jpg

Setting
Poland and Ukraine host Euro 2012. The slightly less glamorous, but no less exciting brother to the FIFA World Cup is upon us. As is the case every 4 years, 16 teams gather to duke it out with one another and eventually crown a winner. The competition is as fierce as always, and superpowers Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands were all in scintillating form in the qualifiers. However, a dark cloud looms over this potentially great tournament.

Interpol have announced they are aware of a plot to scandalize the Euro 2012 tournament! They aren’t sure who is behind it, so they are asking the public to help them make this tournament live up to its potential.

This is a Phalla game. If you haven’t played with us before and aren’t exactly sure what that entails, you should definitely read the link, and signup, using lime! There are 25 slots, though it can run with less. This is a (reasonably) traditional village vs mafia (no factions).

Special Rules

As this is a Euro 2012 phalla, the mechanics are centered on the games. At the end of each day, any matches on the roster will be calculated by me using a (horribly inaccurate) algorithm I created based on “prior performances of the teams”. I will not go into depth what that means, and I will not reveal the mechanics of the algorithm, but safe to say, it is likely that teams like Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands all have good scores, whereas teams like Ukraine, Poland, and the Czech Republic may be less impressive. These results will be posted to the thread along with the narration. These games are very influenceable, by a number of means, including special powers, items, and what have you.

Currently, the games are in the group phase! Every day all the teams remaining in the tournament will play. As this is the group stage, all 16 teams will be in action, in 8 games. There are 3 days of group stage matches. 2 teams will qualify from each group, and be placed into the quarter-finals for the next day’s games. The winners of these matches will play in the semi-finals the next day, and the winners of these in the final on the last day. The game will end after Day 6. Any games played on the same day are separated into two timeslots. You may not attend two simultaneous games.

Additionally, there is money and gambling! Every player starts with $1000, and they can do whatever they like with it. Players may use their money to bet on games or buy fan paraphernalia. The items will have effects that influence the outcome of each game. The shop is public, so buys must be made in the thread. These fan shops are expected to be up and running just before the tournament begins.

You may also bet on the outcome of matches. I will post betting odds for each match, and if you are correct, you will win money - hooray! Betting (unlike buying) can be privately PMed. Bets are final! Once you fork up that money, there isn’t a refund.

Sportsbet Odds
Sportsbet has been selected by UEFA as the primary betting organization for Euro 2012! They will provide odds on all the games, as well as predicted group winners and qualifiers once the tournament is underway.

Lastly - The 16 referees chosen to referee the tournament have been made public. There is one referee from each nation in the tournament.
Germany - Wolfgang Stark
Netherlands - Bjorn Kuipers
Spain - Carlos Velasco Carballo
Sweden - Jonas Eriksson
Portugal - Pedro Proenca
England - Howard Webb
Denmark - Claus Bo Larsen
Croatia - Ivan Bebek
Russia - Nikolai Vladimirovich Ivanov
Italy - Nicola Rizzoli
Greece - Michael Koukoulakis
France - Stephane Lannoy
Republic of Ireland - Ian Stokes
Poland - Marcin Borski
Ukraine - Viktor Shvetsov
Czech - Pavel Kralovec

They are randomly assigned (but not to games with their nation in the same group/game).
At the end of the group stage, the players vote out 8 referees. Then four after the quarterfinal, then two after the semifinal. These referees are identical apart from their nationality. To vote, just post a list of the 8 (or 4 or 2, depending on the day), and whichever tally the most out of all villagers will be removed from the pool.

Voting

Every day the supporters can choose a person they think is probably behind the shady dealings, and put them under citizen’s arrest. Of course, football fans are not the most astute, so who knows if they’ll catch the culprits, or just someone acting a bit too belligerently because OH GOD HOW DID YOU MISS THAT REF ARE YOU BLIND? You may select your suspicious target by writing their name in bold red. If you later find their behaviour less suspicious, you may retract in bold lime, though this is not required if you merely wish to change your vote. Whoever receives the most votes is eliminated at the end of the day. Ties eliminate all players, but there is no trickle effect.

Voting closes at 9PM EST. Actions must also be in by 9PM EST.

Playing the Game

Players are expected to post at least twice per day, and vote every day. Consecutive absences, or 3 total will result in replacement.

Ask for clarifications in bold darkorange. I will try to answer them best I can, but obviously some things will not be clarified. Additionally - you may PM me with specific questions, and I will respond in the same manner, unless I feel your question is of critical import to the rest of the players.

I would appreciate invitations to any proboards created for discussions.

You may not contact anonymously, role-call, post your PMs, etc. Standard phalla rules, please abide by them!

Being familiar with football or the teams may sort of help you. But not really. At most you might think a particular result is unlikely, but that can mean anything, since the algorithm is designed to be random, so feel free to sign up even if you have no clue what any of this means!

I am aware I'm a few months early on this theme - this is supposed to be a practice run so I can see what I want to tweak before running a main during/right before the actual tournament, if people enjoy it enough.

Every day some games will be played, with times listed alongside (note: despite having different times, all games will be calculated at the end of the day)

Schedule of Games
Day 1:

18:00 Group A : Poland/Greece & Russia/Czech
18:00 Group B : Netherlands/Denmark & Germany/Portugal
21:00 Group C : Spain/Italy & Republic of Ireland/Croatia
21:00 Group D : France/England & Ukraine/Sweden

Day 2:
18:00 Group A : Greece/Czech & Poland/Russia
18:00 Group B : Denmark/Portugal & Netherlands/Germany
21:00 Group C : Spain/Republic of Ireland & Italy/Croatia
21:00 Group D : France/Ukraine & England/Sweden

Day 3:
18:00 Group A : Poland/Czech & Greece/Russia
18:00 Group B : Netherlands/Portugal & Germany/Denmark
21:00 Group C : Spain/Croatia & Italy/Republic of Ireland
21:00 Group D : France/Sweden & England/Ukraine

Day 4:
Quarterfinals

18:00 1: Winner Group A/Runner Group B
18:00 2: Winner Group B/Runner Group A
21:00 3: Winner Group C/Runner Group D
21:00 4: Winner Group D/Runner Group C

Day 5:
Semifinals

18:00 5: Winner Game 1/Winner Game 3
21:00 6: Winner Game 2/Winner Game 4

Day 6:
Finals

18:00 Winner Game 5/Winner Game 6

Note: its possible that the word "Eire/EIRE" comes up sometimes in the notes. That's just shorthand for Republic of Ireland that I used while making this. If you see one, point it out and I'll correct it.

AkimboLegs on

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    !Signup

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    Hooooo that was fast!

Steam
  • AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Signup List
    1. Cythraul
    7. KetBra
    12. Bedlam
    13. romanqwerty
    20. stever777
    22. towndrunk34
    23. El Skid
    24. jackisreal

"Deaths":
    Day 1
    10. jdarksun, Rafael Ramos thrown out of the tournament by UEFA, and arrested by Interpol
    15. Vertroue, an Actim Statistician trampled by the mob who were blowing vuvuzelas

Day 2
    8. Phyphor, Gianni Infantino, General Secretary of UEFA was arrested by Interpol.
    6. MrTLicious, Anatoliy Mykolayovych pronounced braindead after a mob hit him with a large rock.

Day 3
    2. Langly, Hedwiges van Wielwijk thrown out of Euro 2012 by UEFA
    17. Kime, Interpol Investigator arrested by Interpol
    9. corvidae, Cormac Berry, Sportsbet CEO mugged by a mob

Day 4
    3. daniant, Dmitri Papastathopandopolous thrown out by UEFA
    16. SlyM, Michel Platini, UEFA president, arrested by Interpol
    14. Void Slayer, Jorge Larrionda, Referee Coordinator beaten by the mob

Day 5
    18. Andrei Pogrebnyalchenko, sportzboytjw arrested by Interpol
    11. Kias, Interpol Finance Agent attacked by the mob.
    21. Flarne, Jacques Fontaine has been eaten by Inactivus
    19. Capfalcon, Jesper Juelsgard Jorgensen has been eaten by Inactivus

Day 6
    4. Cayrus, The Queen of England was arrested by Interpol
    5. Tayrun, Johan Johansson got alcohol poisoning with the mob

Clarifications
    How Betting Odds Work

1.I would like fanshop buys to be in purple

2. You must be specific about which game you buy tickets for.
    3. Pies are only going to be useful in the Playoff Stage (days 4/5/6). Football doesn't (usually) have extra time/overtime, and even then, only has it when two teams are level at the end of regulation time.

Langly wrote:
    I am assuming that we cannot go to games that happen at the same time, yes?

This is correct

5. The reason [rankings don't reflect the odds on a game] is because I created the odds using the same algorithm that I am going to use to decide the games. It does take into account how good the teams are, but football is a very finicky game (as is my algorithm), so sometimes the values come out weird, and that is where the good bets may come in. Though of course, they may not, its all random, so who knows :)

I will also add - there are definitely some teams that I have ended up ranking much different than FIFA have, so use that list I gave you with a grain of salt.

6. PM Clarifications relevant to the entire game
    One: you MUST have a ticket for any items you buy to be relevant. All items are still bought on thread, but you must also tell me (this part can, and probably should, be in PM) which game you are using it at, and which team you are using it against/for (except team shirts, which are automatically used. If you have multiple you can choose which to wear). Night at the pub is the only exception to this rule, but you can still PM me the target.

Two (because a couple people already tried): you cannot bet on contradictory results to spread your odds. ie: you cant bet on Poland AND Greece to win the match. Nor could you bet for 3 or 4 teams to qualify from a group, or multiple teams to be top of one group. I'm sorry about this, but its actually largely to save me from having to record a million bets every day.

MrTLicious wrote:
    Are the bookie odds roughly proportional to the odds you would use to calculate the odds of the game barring items?

Roughly, maybe. I am not going to use the odds themselves to calculate the outcome of a game, though.

8. Football fans can get violent. Revealing your allegiances may incur the wrath of rival teams.

Langly wrote:
    What happens to items, specifically tickets, if someone dies while holding them? For the limited items like tickets, I mean.

Lost FOREVER

El Skid wrote:
    El Skid wrote:
    If a player is eliminated via the vote, does he get to tamper with match balls, play with vuvuzelas and boo my team before he is removed?

quoting for not answered?

Sorry - vote is always last

jdarksun wrote:
    How many matches can you attend in one Day?

2 is max games per day, as limited by times (like Langly said)

stever777 wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    I'd like to purchase a team shirt for Poland, Match programme for Poland v. Greece, and a Match Ticket to Poland v. Greece.

We have to buy a programme for each match, not just one for the Tourney?

Programmes are one use.

13. So I have evidently been too loose with the language. Night at the pub targets another phalla player, not a player from one of the teams. But correct, if used today, it would influence Day 3

Narrations
    Day 1 Preview

Day 1

Day 2 Preview

Day 2

Day 3 Preview

Day 3

Quarter-Final Preview

Quarter-Final (Day 4)

Semi-Final Preview

Semi-Final (Day 5)

Final Preview

Final (Day 6)

AkimboLegs on
    edited February 2012
    My posts are being eaten!

!Signup

Cythraul on
    Steam
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    This sounds super fun, even though I know little of soccer.

!signup

• daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    ¡Goooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    !Signup though I have no idea what's going on.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    !Kapow, I make a score point!

Cayrus you're offside mate, ref's a wanker, etc.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    !limed

Akimbo, you might also want to put it up in the phalla signup thread so that people who have that bookmarked see it.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    daniant wrote:
    Akimbo, you might also want to put it up in the phalla signup thread so that people who have that bookmarked see it.

Yes! Thank you for that, slipped my mind.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Ah, a game about the better football!

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular

!Signup

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    I thought this was about Eurovision at first.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • KiasKias Registered User regular

sure, I will sign up!

steam_sig.png

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    signup!

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLL

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Gambling and shopping?

Who needs football I am in!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    VUVUVUVUUZELA

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    sounds interesting

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    kime wrote:
    sounds interesting

WHAT? SOMEONE MADE ME DEAF WITH ONE OF THOSE HORNS.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Thank goodness you didn't try to call it football!

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Sign UUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPP!

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    AkimboLegs wrote:
    Voting closes at 9PM EDT. Actions must also be in by 9PM EDT.

So, not to be the timezone-asshole in every thread but do you mean EDT or EST? There's a 1hour difference, and using EDT when there's no daylight savings active seems strange.

Flarne on
    He means EST, it's just a copy-paste error like mine.

Also, horrors! I found this on the second page. Can't have that.

It's actually far more embarrassing than that - I'm just an idiot and never remember which is when.

Fixed now, it is EST.

edited February 2012
    Summer=Daylight is a good way to remember.

Although I guess that's very Northern Hemisphere centric of me.

daniant on
  • towndrunk34towndrunk34 Registered User regular
    Hello everybody I am the cop.

See, that's what I originally thought, but did my own reverse psychology thinking that was "too easy".

Almost there! More people!

daniant wrote:

Its extended to be more than that now, though. I thought I saw it starting again in a month or two.

edited February 2012
    Bedlam wrote:
    daniant wrote:

Its extended to be more than that now, though. I thought I saw it starting again in a month or two.

Well...I mean relatively.

It's not really starting again soon is it? I hate Daylight savings.

Edit: Damn, March 11th. That sucks.

daniant on
    Yeah I wasnt sure if it was march or may. That is completly redonk.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I expect many riots.

If you sign up you could instigate riots!

edited February 2012
    AkimboLegs wrote:
    If you sign up you could instigate riots!

Can we do this??!! Can we??!!!

E - Uh oh. Double posts are back.

stever777 on

Post test to see if this doubles.
    May just be me!