As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Susan G. Komen

• MillMill Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    I don't know where else to discuss this,but i've been hearing a lot about Obama and the requirement that "Catholic institutions" provide contraception.

We have a catholic hospital here in town, and it's become so removed from it's religion, that they even kicked the nuns off campus. they are more a private instution with a catholic name than anything else. And the few local hospitals divvy up certain treatments between them, so if you have to have that particular treatment, you go there. Not having options that other facilities have would be a disservice to most people, IMO.

It's a bit of a distortion.

The requirement is that employers over a certain size have to give their employees health care. That health care has to meet a certain minimum standard. Part of that minimum standard is that it has to cover birth control. Churches and other religious institutions are exempt from that requirement. Catholic hospitals and schools are not exempt.

This does not require them to give out contraception. It does not require doctors to prescribe contraception. It requires employers to provide a benefit to their employees that might be possibly used for birth control at their employees' discretion.

If that's the case, then I really don't understand the backlash, other than rightwing nutjobs trying to find something else to persecute our president for.
    My Catholic relatives claim that it forces people to support something they believe is evil, and it's an incredible assault on religious liberty.
    The whole point of this change is to end the discriminatory practice of religious organizations shitting on the freedom of religion of the people that work for them who don't share their religious beliefs. What your Catholic relatives have failed to understand is that religious groups, particularly Catholic charitable organizations, are currently trampling on the religious rights of others (their millions of non-Catholic employees) by refusing to cover birth control for religious justifications, and now the Feds are saying that if you are a large enough employer "you don't get to discriminate against people who don't share your religious beliefs in the workplace anymore". Pretty fucking cut and dried that the Catholics are in the wrong here - they currently, as in right fucking now and at this moment, discriminate against non-Catholic employees and now they are crying cause the Feds are ending their religiously intolerant behavior? :P

Well, thanks to the recent Supreme Court decision, all the Catholic organizations have to do is decide that all their employees count as "ministers", and they can do whatever the fuck they want to them.

I'm pretty sure that not only would that blow up in the faces and the courts would rule that those employees don't count as ministers.

Also if I'm not mistaken, those Catholic organization take government funds, so they pretty much should STFU about it or just refuse to take the federal money they currently get. If Obama really wanted to bitch slap them, he could bring up the fact that a few years ago we had universities that tried to prevent military recruitment on campus and they were told that they could kiss their federal funding goodbye if the military couldn't recruit on campus anymore.

• zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hey guys, I kinda like this thread. I mean, it makes me angry, but that's it's purpose. And I'd rather not see it go away before all this stuff with Susan G. Komen is settled since I use it as my news source on that subject.
    Elki wrote:
    Guys, this is off-topic.

zerg rush on
  • skyrimisneatoskyrimisneato really really, reallyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Let me just reiterate:
    The thing I'm liking now about the SGK controversy is how strong the support of Planned Parenthood turned out to be! That part is pretty cool considering how dire things can often look for PP. Too bad for SGK that they also weren't aware, or they probably wouldn't have listened to the woman against women nutcase.

skyrimisneato on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Yeah, I read it. Hatespeech laws are bullshit, no matter how you dress them up.

Surprise! America is almost completely alone in this view. But surely we are right and everyone else is terribly wrong.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Let me just reiterate:
    The thing I'm liking now about the SGK controversy is how strong the support of Planned Parenthood turned out to be! That part is pretty cool considering how dire things can often look for PP. Too bad for SGK that they also weren't aware, or they probably wouldn't have listened to the woman against women nutcase.

I glad PP is stronger than I assumed, too.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Let me just reiterate:

Shockingly, being the only health care provider for a ton of people inspires loyalty. Who knew?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    shryke wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Yeah, I have a real hard time feeling sympathy for those poor Christians crying in jail for inciting violence against minorities.

Fuck 'em.

Of course, it sounds like quoting any passage the ruling party is able to get classified as hate speech is illegal, which is a pretty big injunction against those religions that read the entire bible over the course of the year (like Judaism).

And yet Sweden remains a perfectly fine country.

The US is far more extreme then most other 1st world countries about it's free speech laws. The rest of the world gets along just fine without that though.

Didn't they ban mosques? It seems that a lot of European countries are all for religious diversity as long as you're a secular christian.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Let me just reiterate:

Shockingly, being the only health care provider for a ton of people inspires loyalty. Who knew?

Yeah. Even among those who have health insurance now, many people remember being young and needing Planned Parenthood at a time when they were vulnerable.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    And unlike many faith-based "pregnancy centers", Planned Parenthood is respectful and helpful to the people they serve. They don't lie, demean, or shame the people who ask them for help.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Really where Komen shot themselves in the foot is the fact that they were willing to screw over poor women to make a political point. They then proceeded to make that self-inflicted wound worse by lying about their motives for cutting funding for Planned Parenthood.

I'm pretty sure they would have been hosed if they still cut the funding but were honest about the motivation from the get go. At the very least they would have maintained some of the integrity, they would be considered callous assholes but at least they wouldn't be dishonest, callous assholes.

The only way they could cut funding to PP would be if they established a viable, sustainable alternative to PP. I'm sure they might have actually had the resources for doing so but they seem to have been afflicted with a corporate oriented mindset lately so I have a feeling such a route was a non-starter from the beginning.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Yeah, I have a real hard time feeling sympathy for those poor Christians crying in jail for inciting violence against minorities.

Fuck 'em.

Of course, it sounds like quoting any passage the ruling party is able to get classified as hate speech is illegal, which is a pretty big injunction against those religions that read the entire bible over the course of the year (like Judaism).

The US is far more extreme then most other 1st world countries about it's free speech laws. The rest of the world gets along just fine without that though.

Didn't they ban mosques? It seems that a lot of European countries are all for religious diversity as long as you're a secular christian.

Switzerland banned minarets.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Let me just reiterate:

Heh. Seems obvious now that you put it that way. I guess I've never heard anyone talk about their personal experiences with PP, so it was easy for me to underestimate. I assume those that have been helped don't necessarily feel like they need to talk about it? However, I and my wife have always vociferously supported PP and she's really the only person I know that speaks of them at all, IRL.

edited February 2012
    Nevermind this post.

skyrimisneato on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Planned Parenthood seems like an excellent organisation and it saddens me that anyone would be anti them.

I figure I could take a bear.
    Heh. Seems obvious now that you put it that way. I guess I've never heard anyone talk about their personal experiences with PP, so it was easy for me to underestimate. I assume those that have been helped don't necessarily feel like they need to talk about it? However, I and my wife have always vociferously supported PP and she's really the only person I know that speaks of them at all, IRL.

Well, I think there's a minor issue of etiquette talking about medical care. Especially for reproductive care. It's not exactly around-the-office water-cooler talk, yknow?

poshniallo wrote:
    Planned Parenthood seems like an excellent organisation and it saddens me that anyone would be anti them.

They're one of the largest national organizations in the US expressly chartered to provide direct healthcare services to the poor and uninsured.

Given the shoddy state of healthcare in the US, this is really super-important.

There are other organizations, but arguably nobody has a network as large, or has achieved as much effective outreach into underserved & minority communities.

edited February 2012
    They're not perfect. San Francisco has just finally settled down from a reorganization caused by a pretty catastrophic collapse of the regional PP chapter that was caused partly (though not entirely) by local mismanagement. http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/newsroom/local-press-releases/local-news-press-release-35857.htm

But, honestly, a big part of that was also that a huge funding source (California state government) dried up due to the housing market collapse.

Feral on

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:

Fuck 'em.

Switzerland banned minarets.

Wow, timing.

Feral wrote:

Well, I think there's a minor issue of etiquette talking about medical care. Especially for reproductive care. It's not exactly around-the-office water-cooler talk, yknow?
    Yes. This is a better way of putting it.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:

This is why I thought it was so cool that Facebook lit up with 'I stand with PP' tags; turns out basically every woman I know who isn't a total fundie has a history with PP.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    That wouldn't work. Iirc, women cannot be ministers in catholic church, and guess who would get the birth control pill with instance. Not the guys.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    @Smrtnik wrote:
    That wouldn't work. Iirc, women cannot be ministers in catholic church, and guess who would get the birth control pill with instance. Not the guys.
    Closing loopholes left and right!!

skyrimisneato on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm surprised no one wanted to talk about the stem cell research crap that came up shortly after the PP deal. I'll link another story about it in case people missed it the first go around.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/02/1061151/-New-Komen-Foundation-policy-also-refuses-funding-for-embryonic-stem-cell research

What the hell do they hope to gain from going all-out right-wing? Is it really just one crazy ass senior executive dragging the entire organization over out of personal belief?

edit: moved this

edit 2: Spun the hate-speech deal into its own thread.

Kamar on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/02/06/419680/ari-fleischer-admits-he-personally-advised-komen-ceo-on-planned-parenthood/

Today, Ad Age further reveals that, throughout the controversy, Fleischer has personally advised Komen CEO Nancy Brinker on how to handle the Planned Parenthood issue:
    Former George W. Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer, who had previously been brought in by Komen to assist with an executive search for a senior VP-communications, provided informal advice. “When Nancy called me, I gave her my two cents worth,” he said via email. Ogilvy is Komen’s corporate and issues firm on retainer and was helming the issue as of Feb. 3.

But on Friday, Fleischer told ThinkProgress he had no involvement in the crisis communications effort. In an email sent to ThinkProgress after the publication of our story, Fleischer claimed our entire report was “inaccurate,” “unfair,” and “simply false” because it created the implication that he was involved with Komen’s strategy in recent days. An excerpt from Fleischer’s email:
    Interviewing people for a job in December, none of whom were hired, is entirely separate from helping guide Komen’s strategy in February. The problem is fundamental – you have misleadingly connected two unrelated events.

Today, ThinkProgress asked Fleischer to explain his email now that he’s acknowledged he personally advised Komen’s CEO on Planned Parenthood strategy in January and February. Fleischer now claims that he was not involved in strategy because he did not participate “in any meetings or on any conference calls.”

As for why he objected to ThinkProgress’ initial report — which now appears to have understated the true scope of his inovlvement — Fleischer said it failed to get the “emphasis right.”

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/02/06/national/w201910S85.DTL#ixzz1lhM5Ice7
    On Monday, Romney told conservative radio host Scott Hennen that he didn't think Komen should continue giving money to Planned Parenthood. Romney says the government should stop giving Planned Parenthood money, too.
    Romney continues to be a sack of shit.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote:
    I'm surprised no one wanted to talk about the stem cell research crap that came up shortly after the PP deal. I'll link another story about it in case people missed it the first go around.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/02/1061151/-New-Komen-Foundation-policy-also-refuses-funding-for-embryonic-stem-cell research

What the hell do they hope to gain from going all-out right-wing? Is it really just one crazy ass senior executive dragging the entire organization over out of personal belief?

The entire organization is starting to look like a GOP front. A top Bush fundraiser started it, they hired Ari Fleischer to do hiring interviews (where he stressed the abortion issue) and hired a ultra-right Georgia GOP pol. Their business practices are beginning to look a lot more like a marketing firm with a tangential relationship to a cause, rather than the other way around.

At best, I think Koman was a corporate conservative organization - one of those CEO-friendly charities that have polished, pant-suited Republican women on top instead of mouthy liberal social activists. It was very easy for the internal culture to shift to full-on conservative activism.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I love how Handel was all "oh goodness, this has nothing to do with me being here!" Then she resigns.
    ATLANTA (AP) -- A high-ranking official resigned Tuesday from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast-cancer charity after a dispute over whether the group should give funding to Planned Parenthood, according to a letter obtained by The Associated Press.

Karen Handel, the charity's vice president for public policy, told Komen officials that she supported the move to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood. She said the discussion started before she arrived at the organization and was approved at the highest levels of the charity.

Muahahahahahahaha. GTFO.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Haha nice. Would have been better if she'd been fired, would have enjoyed seeing Komen steel-toe her ass out of there.

Still, glad the right person got the boot.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I like that the last sentence is all "nuh uh, they started it!"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote:
    I like that the last sentence is all "nuh uh, they started it!"

She's probably got a point. If you look at the hiring process, it looks like the board hired her to exactly what she did, then washed their hands of her when it blew up in Komen's face. If she had said, "Don't touch Planned Parenthood!" in her interview, she would never have been hired in the first place.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/02/06/national/w201910S85.DTL#ixzz1lhM5Ice7
    On Monday, Romney told conservative radio host Scott Hennen that he didn't think Komen should continue giving money to Planned Parenthood. Romney says the government should stop giving Planned Parenthood money, too.
    Romney continues to be a sack of shit.

Keep talking Romney. You're doing a great job hanging yourself for the general election.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I love how Handel was all "oh goodness, this has nothing to do with me being here!" Then she resigns.
    ATLANTA (AP) -- A high-ranking official resigned Tuesday from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast-cancer charity after a dispute over whether the group should give funding to Planned Parenthood, according to a letter obtained by The Associated Press.

Karen Handel, the charity's vice president for public policy, told Komen officials that she supported the move to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood. She said the discussion started before she arrived at the organization and was approved at the highest levels of the charity.

Muahahahahahahaha. GTFO.

And Komen's response:
    Are you all happy now? Please stop hating us. We promise we'll be better. Please send us money...please?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    "Chicago-style political thuggery."

It gets the job done.

But don't worry freepers, at least you won the moral victory seeing as reproductive health defenders acted so condemnably! Yeah, those grapes ain't tasty at all!

Absalon on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Glad to hear it! Too bad the rest of the leadership that colluded on this and who tacitly support her position haven't also left.

Thomamelas wrote:

Down at the very bottom of the article it really sounds like Handel was burned pretty badly once over the issue of giving money to PP for non-abortion services. Perhaps she thought she was saving SGK that trouble down the line.

Dumb move, obviously, and it's good to see she resigned. Hopefully she looks for a job in the anti-abortion movement since that's really where she wants to be.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:

Down at the very bottom of the article it really sounds like Handel was burned pretty badly once over the issue of giving money to PP for non-abortion services. Perhaps she thought she was saving SGK that trouble down the line.

Dumb move, obviously, and it's good to see she resigned. Hopefully she looks for a job in the anti-abortion movement since that's really where she wants to be.

jeep, you've been misinformed.

Handel ran for the governorship of Georgia on an explicit "defund PP" plank. She was brought into Komen by the leadership and Fleisher (who, in a great example of rewarding failure, is now tasked with cleaning up the mess he created) explicitly to find a way to allow Komen to end their grant to PP in a manner that wouldn't look like they were dancing to the tune of the anti-choice fundies. The "no investigations" scheme was her idea.

She's a hateful person who doesn't care about the health of women, and while it's good that she's gone, Komen made the mistake of not explicitly firing her ass.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited February 2012
    *snip*
    She's a hateful person who doesn't care about the health of women, and while it's good that she's gone, Komen made the mistake of not explicitly firing her ass.
    I agree and let me reiterate: it's too bad the rest of the leadership that colluded on this and who tacitly support her position haven't also left.

skyrimisneato on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Anti-abortion activists in Georgia praised Handel's decision.

"I commend her for it," said Daniel Becker, president of the Georgia Right to Life.

He said the organization still had concerns about Handel's belief that women who are raped or victims of incest should be allowed to seek abortions.

Wow.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yay, now she gets to be a martyr for all the crazy assholes.

edited February 2012
    Thomamelas wrote:

jeep, you've been misinformed.

Handel ran for the governorship of Georgia on an explicit "defund PP" plank. She was brought into Komen by the leadership and Fleisher (who, in a great example of rewarding failure, is now tasked with cleaning up the mess he created) explicitly to find a way to allow Komen to end their grant to PP in a manner that wouldn't look like they were dancing to the tune of the anti-choice fundies. The "no investigations" scheme was her idea.

You need to read the article before telling me I am misinformed.
    Handel, a Republican, ran for Georgia governor in 2010, received an endorsement from former vice presidential candidate and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. But Handel lost a primary runoff to former Georgia Rep. Nathan Deal, who won the general election.

Throughout the campaign, Deal accused Handel of being soft on abortion.

Deal repeatedly attacked Handel over a 2005 vote she took while serving on a metro Atlanta county commission to give more than $400,000 to Planned Parenthood, though not for abortion services. The Georgia affiliate of Planned Parenthood said the money went to a downtown clinic for services such as cervical cancer screenings, testing for sexually transmitted diseases and birth controls.

I think it is fair to say that this experience has probably had an effect on her outlook on Planned Parenthood, for better or worse. I'm sorry to interrupt the campaign to declare the woman internet hitler, but she is probably just a regular old conservative who lost an election partly due to a thing that she voted on once that sounded like a good thing. Then later when she was working in a different job she did the opposite of the thing that once got her bent over a tailgate and piston-fucked.

There has yet to be a smoking gun that proves there was a Fleisher-Handel conspiracy to enact this particular policy change. All that's been proven is that Handel pushed it hard while she was there, which honestly is exactly what you would expect of her, given who she is and what she believes.

As I said, it's good that she resigned. She's way too political to do any good in a non-political charity.

Regina Fong on