As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Comic: Monday, February 6 - Le Chat Avec Le Chapeau

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited February 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-t8C4nnx-L.jpg

rRwz9.gif
Jacobkosh on

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So is that cat in a hat also inside a larger hat or is that an adorable battle suit?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • CururuCururu Registered User regular
    So is that cat in a hat also inside a larger hat or is that an adorable battle suit?

It's a clay pot. No idea what's up with that, but they do drop pot shards, for some reason. Personally, I prefer the Blue Mage cap for the Cait Sith. It gives more of a 'Puss in Boots' vibe.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Gabe's post on XIII-2 is kind of interesting. I didn't realize the game had a Pokemon aspect to it. The reviews have not been too kind to it though, and this is coming from people who actually liked XIII (you know, after the shitty 30 hour tutorial). As someone who pretty much felt the same way (hated the opening, loved the ending), I still don't quite know what to make of this one. Everything I'm hearing is that they fixed all the flaws of XIII, but then fucked up other stuff. So I don't know...

I'm still really miffed at them for turning Lightning into DLC though (after putting her in ALL of the advertising), so eh, I think I'll wait for the inevitable price plunge (XIII dropped fast and has such a horrible reputation that I can't not see that happening here as well).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Can you seriously do this

Because I just got this game

And if you can do this, I might actually never stop playing

Warlock82 wrote:
    The reviews have not been too kind to it though

Really?

So far I've only seen good things.

Famitsu gave it 100%, pretty much everybody else who's reviewed it (at least according to Wiki) has given it between an 8 and a 9.5 out of 10

The only bad review I've seen was The Edge, who gave it a 5 out of 10, and that was because of little challenge, not enough openworldness, and a wasted ATB system, and I honestly haven't played enough of it to see any of that. The little challenge thing is also debatable because that makes it more accessible, but I agree that there should be more than 2 modes (Normal and Easy)

I'll have to look because it's been a bit since I read through them, but I recall the 1up review not being that kind. Granted, I think it scored like a B or something which is ok. But I'm going off the text of the review. And I know Jeremy liked FFXIII quite a bit.

I seem to recall Joystiq not liking it much either, but then, it's Joystiq so it's not like they are necessarily the best source.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wait. XIII-2 is good? I wasn't prepared for this.

But it sounds like Lightning is relegated to a tiny portion of the game? That doesn't really sound "much better than XIII" to me.

Oh brilliant
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's quite good.

And that's the biggest flaw: less Lightning.

FFXIII-2 is basically Shin Megami Tensei: Final Fantasy.

Which is the best thing.

If SMT let you deck out your demons in various accessories, anyway.
    And everyone puts the hat on Cait Sith, myself included.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    XIII-2 is how XIII should have been, and how the last few games should have been, ie something that actually should be proud to be in the FF catalog, is what the reviews are saying

I can't agree or disagree, simply because I still need to play a bunch of FF games (need a PS2 bad)

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    For a glorious moment I thought the French had a verb for 'to wear a hat' but it turns out it's kind of a pun and means to be in charge.

51VFVAAZCZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ArakonArakon Registered User regular
    My most pressing question is: Who stole PA's question marks, and why?

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Arakon wrote:
    My most pressing question is: Who stole PA's question marks, and why?

Tycho was glammer'd by the cat. All his grammar fell off.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    But how does that cat match up against a the terrible (yet refined) dapper lycanthrope?

Also, do people really say the abbreviations for months like they're words? Feb? Maybe people do, I just haven't met anyone who does.

Gaslight on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Didn't they also do a comic when Morrowind was released in regards to hats?

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    jackal wrote:
    When I think of comics that featured hats prominently I think of these two. Five and ten years ago, respectively O.o

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    After buying both 13 and 14, I'll be waiting like 6 months just to make absolutely sure they didn't secretly shit the bed again.

What is this I don't even.
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I don't quite understand people somehow managing to be harsher on XIII-2 than XIII. The game is an improvement in almost every aspect. The negative has already been touched upon, which is less Lightning. Lightning's sister is a really awful character in comparison.

There are instances where I feel battle doesn't flow quite as smoothly as it did in XIII. Combat can be frustrating if you don't get a decent medic monster as you don't have immediate access to the role. The first medic monster you get (the aforementioned cat which you can put a hat on) is a shitty medic. I still ended up using him for quite a while.

There seems to be less focus on staggering enemies, which was the key for most FFXIII battles. Maybe this isn't a bad thing, but I dunno, I guess I liked staggering enemies. Watching as my damage shot through the roof and they became helpless to my powers. As dull as FFXIII was overall, it had a pretty good difficulty curve, and that's not in XIII-2 as much.

Still, there are no more straight cooridors, more control over your progression, more control over your party. The monster collecting thing makes it so you're never without 3 characters. FFXIII's biggest flaw, in my opinion, was keeping you with a 2 person party for about 20 hours. The battle system was not designed for 2 people.

The next biggest flaw was the crafting system. That system is gone and in its place is simply the ability to find materials through drops and occasionally buy a weapon with the things they make. It's simple and not utilized very much but much better than the previous one.

You no longer lose when the party leader dies. The party leader will change automatically. In fact, you can change the party leader mid battle if you want.

You can save anywhere you want, anytime you want.

More sidequests. More minigames. If you care about that sort of thing.

The story still sucks. I don't even know if I agree that it's better than XIII's. I can't judge until I finish it, but so far it isn't very compelling. I kinda wish FFXIII had just been released with XIII-2's gameplay, rather than having two separate games released.

But really, the game improves in a lot of ways. Saying if you hated XIII you'll hate this one isn't necessarily true.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think I'll hold out for XIII-11-7-5-3-2-1.

Durkhanus on
    Adus wrote:
    I don't quite understand people somehow managing to be harsher on XIII-2 than XIII. The game is an improvement in almost every aspect. The negative has already been touched upon, which is less Lightning. Lightning's sister is a really awful character in comparison.

There are instances where I feel battle doesn't flow quite as smoothly as it did in XIII. Combat can be frustrating if you don't get a decent medic monster as you don't have immediate access to the role. The first medic monster you get (the aforementioned cat which you can put a hat on) is a shitty medic. I still ended up using him for quite a while.

There seems to be less focus on staggering enemies, which was the key for most FFXIII battles. Maybe this isn't a bad thing, but I dunno, I guess I liked staggering enemies. Watching as my damage shot through the roof and they became helpless to my powers. As dull as FFXIII was overall, it had a pretty good difficulty curve, and that's not in XIII-2 as much.

Still, there are no more straight cooridors, more control over your progression, more control over your party. The monster collecting thing makes it so you're never without 3 characters. FFXIII's biggest flaw, in my opinion, was keeping you with a 2 person party for about 20 hours. The battle system was not designed for 2 people.

The next biggest flaw was the crafting system. That system is gone and in its place is simply the ability to find materials through drops and occasionally buy a weapon with the things they make. It's simple and not utilized very much but much better than the previous one.

You no longer lose when the party leader dies. The party leader will change automatically. In fact, you can change the party leader mid battle if you want.

You can save anywhere you want, anytime you want.

More sidequests. More minigames. If you care about that sort of thing.

The story still sucks. I don't even know if I agree that it's better than XIII's. I can't judge until I finish it, but so far it isn't very compelling. I kinda wish FFXIII had just been released with XIII-2's gameplay, rather than having two separate games released.

But really, the game improves in a lot of ways. Saying if you hated XIII you'll hate this one isn't necessarily true.

That's good to know. I think I'm still going to hold out for a price cut, but I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Side note - I really, really wish they'd announce a 360 version of FFXIII:Versus already. That's the one I suspect will actually be pretty good since Nomura is in charge of it (and he seems to be one of the few left over there with any actual talent)

• ThorstonStrangeThorstonStrange Registered User regular
    FF XIII-2 is good you say?

Strange since I've yet to see a PC port of it...

final1328542748122.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    But how does that cat match up against a the terrible (yet refined) dapper lycanthrope?

Also, do people really say the abbreviations for months like they're words? Feb? Maybe people do, I just haven't met anyone who does.

They do all the time in India. And I think it's catching on since they make up such a huge percentage of corporate America now.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:
    When I think of comics that featured hats prominently I think of these two. Five and ten years ago, respectively O.o

This is always the first to pop into my mind:
    215158770_iVmUw-L-2.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    ahahahaha

I laughed a lot harder at this page than most.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• ShexyBShexyB Registered User regular
    LOLOL Who stole PA's question marks Huh ?
    WTF?!