As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Max Payne] Anyone can buy me a drink - Out now!

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Because it always has to be mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8WNopnMz50

Fun fact: I played this mod so much I learnt how to read mod code and tweaked it to fix the buggy stick fighting and random moments when you would lose invulnerability for no reason. That not being enough for me, I then went on to figure out how to mod the dual pistols so hitting bulletdive did the kick attacks instead but still allow me to use bullet time via the manual bullettime key.
    the first time I turned on bullettime, flying kicked a door to open it, poured hot lead into two guys then flying kicked the third guy into his mate taking out both of them I knew I had done good work that day.
    Deciding that wasn't good enough I then did the same thing for the first two handed pump action shotgun, so I could use it as a staff weapon in between blowing chunks out of people.

I left the magnum and the other two handed weapons alone, since the mod does have cool bulletdive alternate moves for those.

I had to mod the base game to get the dual pistol and two handed shot gun to work how I wanted. What I did was turn off "bullet dive" for those weapons in the base game files which I extracted and repacked and all that complicated jazz. It wouldn't be easy to share those things.
    But if anyone wants stick fighting that actually works, I can share the tweaked files for the mod itself. I don't know how, exactly, I'll have to work out where you go about hosting those things. Anyway, if anyone wants it let me know otherwise I wont bother due to being lazy.

Here's a vid of various things that the mod lets you do out of the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhjtSY-nxg

I can honestly say one of my aims in life is to get more people to play this mod.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I was going to completely write this game off until I heard James Mccaffrey's voice again. It's silly, but at this point for me no Mccaffrey = no Max Payne.

So I'm paying attention again. The animation system looks NICE. I just hope the story still has a few moments of "I was in a computer game. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of"-styled dark humor.

EDIT: YEEEEEESSSSSSS KUNG FU MOD. That mod is responsible for at least 15 of my 20 Max Payne 1 playthrus.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    So Rockstar's releasing "development design philosophy" videos for the game, and I have to say it does look like they didn't futz with the winning formula much, which is good. I could do without fatty Max and the whole "washed up" angle they went for him, but otherwise it looks like MP3 will be worth keeping an eye on for now. The writing had better be damn good though. That'll be a dealbreaker for me.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I was going to completely write this game off until I heard James Mccaffrey's voice again. It's silly, but at this point for me no Mccaffrey = no Max Payne.

So I'm paying attention again. The animation system looks NICE. I just hope the story still has a few moments of "I was in a computer game. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of"-styled dark humor.

EDIT: YEEEEEESSSSSSS KUNG FU MOD. That mod is responsible for at least 15 of my 20 Max Payne 1 playthrus.

I would like to point out, knowing how simple marketing tricks work, that the only difference I see between this vid and previous released media that everybody bitched about was the theme song from max payne 2 (direct copy from what I can hear) and his voice actor.

I'm just saying.

Lots of nostalgia restructuring of opinions going on here. Quite fascinating to see it in action.

I never had a problem with the previous stuff myself so I'm roughly the same, but I did notice a large and unnatural swell of affection hearing two elements I had heard before, neither of which really tell me wether it is going to be a good game. If the dialogue is crap the voice actor is meaningless. The music is worthless as an indicator, since it's just a straight copy. Both things rang little alarm bells and I thusly dismissed them.
    What was left was a very pretty game that looks the same as the last stuff I saw before, which I also liked. Granted they were screens and stuff but the main kick I got out of that trailer was the voice and music. Everything else was just a bunch of what looks like cutscenes that don't tell you much.

I'm normally the one defending a vid from detractors so I feel quite strange about this. But I really think both elements here are a really obvious marketting trick for a video that doesn't really show all that much about the game. I don't think those two elements should be a factor in changing peoples minds. Watch out for cheap tricks, even if you really like them.

Now that other vid with actual gameplay on the other hand. That speaks for itself. Go watch that one and change your mind rather than be stunned with the nostalgia stick.
    Personally, that animation vid sold me on the game even if it had no story. I just want to play that because it looks so gorgeous. Throw me in a big room with a bunch of thugs and I'd play that for a week. So no matter what I win here.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Gameplay video was perfect.

edited November 2011
    I got half way through it and all my aesthetic senses grabbed the rest of me by the scruff of the neck, dragged me too close and whispered in a voice that promised murder for the wrong response that I would be getting this game the minute it comes out, like a good boy.
    Like, I am the animation guy. Why do I like action games? Animations. Why did I love Kung fu mod so much? Sexy sexy animations. All my favourite games have lots of animations. The second he starts talking about thousands of animations a little part of my memory starts reserving VIP Parking for this game.

Morninglord on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I would like to point out, knowing how simple marketing tricks work, that the only difference I see between this vid and previous released media that everybody bitched about was the theme song from max payne 2 (direct copy from what I can hear) and his voice actor.

I'm just saying.

Lots of nostalgia restructuring of opinions going on here. Quite fascinating to see it in action.

I dunno, it's more like the fact that I was initially all "fuck this game" because they'd mentioned getting a new actor to play Max. Jame McCaffrey completely sold a LOT of silly lines in the first two and he made them work great.

At this point Max Payne 3 for me is still only a rental. I need more than a voice to sell me on a purchase, the lack of Sam Lake is giving me an irksome feeling about the story, and I really don't know what to think when I hear the words "cover system" in a Max Payne game because for me Max Payne is about Chow Yun Fat diving my way through a room, dealing death in slow-motion.

Also, since there's no Sam Lake, there most likely also won't be an awesome Poets Of The Fall song, and that makes me sad.

That said, a few more gameplay videos would go a long long way toward selling me on it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, while he could sell a lot of silly lines they actually need to be quality self aware silly not genuinely lazy silly.

Not that this factors into my purchase at this point. It factors into wether I will skip the cutscenes.
    Sometimes I sit there and listen to a max payne 1 cutscene I must have heard a hundred times before. The only other game I do that with is godhand.

Morninglord on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

I'm just saying.

I dunno, it's more like the fact that I was initially all "fuck this game" because they'd mentioned getting a new actor to play Max. Jame McCaffrey completely sold a LOT of silly lines in the first two and he made them work great.

At this point Max Payne 3 for me is still only a rental. I need more than a voice to sell me on a purchase, the lack of Sam Lake is giving me an irksome feeling about the story, and I really don't know what to think when I hear the words "cover system" in a Max Payne game because for me Max Payne is about Chow Yun Fat diving my way through a room, dealing death in slow-motion.

Also, since there's no Sam Lake, there most likely also won't be an awesome Poets Of The Fall song, and that makes me sad.

That said, a few more gameplay videos would go a long long way toward selling me on it.

I have 4 poets of the fall albums thanks to Sam lake. Heh.

I am sold on this game thanks to McCaffrey. It may be nostalgic but I will get it anyway. Besides, while it won't be Sam Lake good. And I doubt it will really be Noir....

But I wouldn't mind a "Man on Fire" game. May Payne telling someone that "I wish you had more TIME" would make my day.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/718916/max-payne-3-gameplay-video-an-x-play-preview/

No new footage, but one of the designers explaining more about the shooting and what they did with it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular

I can honestly say one of my aims in life is to get more people to play this mod.

I loved this mod so much back in the day. Hi5.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    kung fu mod was sick

i loved that shit

obF2Wuw.png
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So, just finished replaying Max Payne 1 for the first time in 11 years. Really entertaining, it's a lot smarter than I remember, which is pretty common for me, suffering from reverse nostalgia as I do. I thought it might be mostly goofy, but it's too self aware for that, and there really are some lovely lines.You end up admiring it's ambition, even when it fails.
    Hard game, not frustrating, if only because of liberal quicksaving, and my Leet Skillz. Said quick saving seems to encourage games from this era (MP is really the bridge between the Doom/Blood gen and the Halo/Gears gen) to have all kinds of cheap dangers. Ala tricky jumps over the abyss, guys hidden just behind doors, doorways into giant rooms filled with snipers from multiple angles, ambushs,etc. Not to say you have to die, just that you have to work every advantage. Not only can you abuse the camera, the designers expect you to. Of course, this is much perferable too being to easy.

P.S. I hear the main writer is the Red Dead Redemption, GTA4 guy, Dan Houser. Hope he retains the self awareness, surreal touchs of Max.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Go play Max Payne 2 now. It's aged a lot better then MP1 did.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I actually though MP1 aged rather well. You could release MP2 in 2009, and no one would be the wiser. Has there ever been a bigger jump in graphics in a shorter span of time then between MP1 and MP2? I'm pretty sure MP1 is running on the Quake II engine! Quake II!

I dunno about that. Just look at Max's face in one. Just look at that mug.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Nah, it was Remedy's own in-house engine. Ex-demosceners wouldn't stoop to sully themselves with then-ancient Quake 2 tech, yo. (Although the MaxFX engine started development at around the time Quake 2 was released. MP1 was in development for a hellsa long time.)

Zxerol on
    Zxerol wrote:
    Nah, it was Remedy's own in-house engine. Ex-demosceners wouldn't stoop to sully themselves with then-ancient Quake 2 tech, yo.

Well, if it's not the Quake II engine, it does a damn fine impression of it. Though, I do like how plausible the levels look ad feel, despite their technical limitations.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh, are we using this one? I guess it's for the better, I've given no attention to update. Just get carried away.

Edit: I did not steal the title of my MP thread from this one. I didn't even see this until today.

Kadoken on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I thought Sam Lake wrote Max Payne.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This game seems okay otherwise, but the bald hobobeard wifebeater beergut look is just about the worst look for anyone, ever. It's like Rockstar hired a fashion designer, told them to create their worst nightmare and decided that's a great look for the main character of their game.

Renzo wrote:

He writes Remedy's games. Max Payne 3 isn't made by Remedy.

reVerse on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    This game seems okay otherwise, but the bald hobobeard wifebeater beergut look is just about the worst look for anyone, ever. It's like Rockstar hired a fashion designer, told them to create their worst nightmare and decided that's a great look for the main character of their game.

Renzo wrote:

I hated it too. Then I realized that you have the jacket in the past, and this whole hobo look is actually good for setting up how fucked up Max got. The painkiller addiction is the best part of his gruntled personality, and seems like a throwback to MP1/2.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Bearded Max with kevlar vest and .44 magnum looks badass though.

I don't mind bald sweat stained wife beater Max, reminds me of Jeff Bridges in Iron Man.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    The revolvers are pretty, I must admit. But I know I'm using naught but a pair of Berretas my first playthrough, the way god intended.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:

Renzo wrote:

I thought I read that someone thought Houser wrote MP1, which confused me. But yeah, of course Lake is not writing MP3.

Oh.

No Berretas.

God fucking dammit.

Oh.

No Berretas.

God fucking dammit.

?

I'm sure I've seen them being used in the videos. Perhaps they're flashback only?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I'm looking the IMFDB page for Payne, and I see no Berretas. Maybe they're still in, but I'm not seeing them.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Those shoot dodges look so fucking sick. I'm just hoping the story doesn't end up being too predictable.

edited February 2012
    This is looking goooood! It occurs to me though, that I haven't actually seen any MP3 trailers with sound. Max still has the same VA, yes?

I'm very pleased it got moved from March 6 to May. Mass Effect 3 would have swallowed this game whole. Anybody know what the Special Edition of the game entails?

Edit: NVM, looked it up myself :P

It includes:

A copy of Max Payne 3
    10 tall Collectible Max Payne Statue created in a collaboration between TriForce and Rockstar Games
    Series of game-inspired Original Still Life Art Prints that depict some of Max Payne's inner demons and vices
    Copper and brass-plated iron, bullet-shaped Bullet Keychain featuring a screw-off back
    Classic Multiplayer Character Pack of eight playable multiplayer characters for Max Payne 3 Multiplayer, including fan favorites from the original Max Payne and Max Payne 2 like Max Payne from Max Payne 2, Mona Sax and Vladimir Lem

Interesting, but its $100

Skull2185 on
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    That looks amazing, makes me want to replay max payne 2

edited February 2012
    Whelp, I'm a consumer whore. Just pre-ordered the special edition of MP3. I don't even know what the statue looks like yet, but I assume it will look good brooding on the shelf with all my Batmen.

My resolution to not pay full price for games anymore is going very well

Edit: Here we go

max-payne-3-special-edition-revealed.jpg

That's not bad I guess. Also, I got it for 60 somethin bucks instead of $99 cause I had credit from Amalur + rewards points on my Amazon CC 8->

Skull2185 on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I don't get some of the negative comments directed at this. I've seen a lot of "It's not noir!" Film buffs have argued about what constitutes film noir for as long as it's been around. To me, nothing says noir more than "dangerous man has nothing to lose"; which is pretty much what we've seen so far.

"Max is old and bald!" is another common complaint. It's been almost 10 years since the last Max Payne game was released. I like to think that these character's lives go on, even when we're not behind the controller. I'd have been disappointed if the new game had picked up as if nothing had happened in all that time.

If it bothers you that much, pretend you're playing Alan Garner in The Hangover III: the Video Game! :P

kyrcl.png
    I think he switched to Deagles in memory of Mona. They were her and Vladi's signature guns.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Whelp, I'm a consumer whore. Just pre-ordered the special edition of MP3. I don't even know what the statue looks like yet, but I assume it will look good brooding on the shelf with all my Batmen.

My resolution to not pay full price for games anymore is going very well

Well you didn't pay the normal full-price... you paid EXTRA! That has to count for something, right?

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    @Skull2185, yes, Max still has the same voice actor. I'm replaying the first Max Payne, and he uses a much deeper, monotone voice for Max in that one than what is shown in the trailer. It gives the impression that after his wife and daughter's murder he's just completely untouched by anything. The only times he changes his pitch are when he's surprised (like when Alex is killed).

I wonder if this was done intentionally due to the constant painkillers. I mean, it's never actually been brought up before just how absurdly unhealthy popping them like candy is, and the effect it might have on one's personality.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hey, so I got both of the last two max paynes, and the first is having a bunch of audio issues. The sound shudders a lot in the tutorial (mostly with the gunshots, although I might add that the only other sound that I can hear in the tutorial is the sound of police sirens, but maybe that's all there is), and there is no sound in the actual game. Is there anything I should do? I'm not entirely of my computer specs, but it's a pretty modern one. So, anyone else had that problem?

Yeah, that's been a problem since Windows Vista I believe. This will fix it.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Ah, thank you sir.