As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Every day I'm rollin'.
    I think I've got a problem, you guys. Rollerbeetles are too much fun, even when people are idiots and screw up your runs by fucking with people at the start.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Not sure how many tokens I've opened, but feels like a lot =/

I hate time-limited RNG stuff.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    double post

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Okay, this forum is retarded. Good job deleting the post that had info, and leaving the blank ones.

Anyway, I have extra lunar tokens (didn't count, probably 50-60), and I"ll give them out to someone who needs them when I'm on later tomorrow (today). My character is Divia Augusta. Just ask me when I log on.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me reach 15 reward points, especially Rook and Mirshae. I think I'll actually reach a good number, despite starting from scratch.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    I dunno how you can resist the temptation to gamble on the lunar fortunes.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    @bendery i am interested in urgoz at least. not sure if i can be on, but if i can, i'd like to come. i'd need to farm up some luxon faction for a deep scroll for that.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I hate those damned Lunar Fortunes. I opened 216 of them over the weekend with no dragon. I heard of people starting new characters, running the various quests and then restarting again, just to farm tokens. Selling a stack of tokens for 30k each, I could have bought TWO dragons in the amount of time I spent trying for that bloody Gold mini!

So, I'm still sitting at 8/50. At this point even 10/50 is looking like it might not happen for me.

26904.png
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    I might be able to help this weekend if anyone needs to work on the Hall. If you guys need Vabbian armor/money I would look into this if you have Nightfall.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
    I have plenty of work to do. I still have Sorrow's Furnace and many master's left.

Armor is more of a solo farming thing. I've been doing those lt. thackery solo missions to get platinum, rep, mats, and oppressor's weapons from one source.

1208768734831.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @DisruptorX2 Out of curiosity, did you get rid of those tokens?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Yes, Rook wanted to try his luck at more dragons and he was the only one who asked :P

1208768734831.jpg
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Hey Disruptor, you were right, that build worked like a charm!

19 HoM points now, making good progress!

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    So Factions is a lot more fun than Prophecies. Eight hours or so in, without rushing, I've hit Lv20 and feel like I'm playing the full game. Some twenty hours into Prophecies and I still felt like I was playing the tutorial.

i finished proph once, and it was fun, but i've tried to play characters through it a few more times with no luck, it's too slow for my taste. was worth it once for the story.

Hey, you know what I love about Eye of the North? It actually suckered me with a story twist. Regarding the Asura subplotline:
    Didn't see the relationship between Vekk and Gadd. I thought that was really well-written.

This occurs to me only because in the GW2 thread we'd been discussing Maurice LaMarche, and what a dynamite job he did voicing Vekk.

Entriech wrote:
    Hey, you know what I love about Eye of the North? It actually suckered me with a story twist. Regarding the Asura subplotline:
    Didn't see the relationship between Vekk and Gadd. I thought that was really well-written.

This occurs to me only because in the GW2 thread we'd been discussing Maurice LaMarche, and what a dynamite job he did voicing Vekk.

i was always wondering just how they'd worked together in the past

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    For those that care, the last part of Winds of Change is coming out tomorrow.

edited February 2012
    Well I'm broke, but I finally I've unlocked the one HoM thing I wanted all along:

aMCSQ.png

Onwards to 30!

Flay on
    do you get better results for doing War in Kryta quests in HM?

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You can get more rewards from the quests, but mostly you just get headaches.

EDIT: more specifically better rewards for Wanted: X quests and the like.

REG Rysk on
    Its worth doing (some) wanted quests in HM. Do not do the basic ones in HM, there's no extra reward.

1208768734831.jpg
    the wanted quests, yea, but i noticed that the WoC quests all have basically 2x rewards for doing it in HM.

edited February 2012
    Feldorn wrote:
    the wanted quests, yea, but i noticed that the WoC quests all have basically 2x rewards for doing it in HM.

I read that's a change because they wanted to give people who liked the difficulty of WiK better rewards for doing it HM, but wanted to make the basic mode easier so that everyone could get through it for the story.

I don't know either way, I haven't done the Canthan stuff yet. I only did WiK because I needed those easy oppressor's weapons.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    For those broke new people, have you gone and got your Zaishen Keys from High Priest Zhang yet? I think you get given enough points to get your 10 keys which is about 50k.

Edit: I have to say, I thought the Winds of Change in Cantha was pretty awful. I really liked all the War in Kryta stuff as you got loads of cool loot, and it was pretty challenging (especially back in the day when you could only take 3 heros) without being annoying. The Winds of Change is just awful quests with no loot and annoying opponents.

Rook on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Rook wrote:
    For those broke new people, have you gone and got your Zaishen Keys from High Priest Zhang yet? I think you get given enough points to get your 10 keys which is about 50k.

Edit: I have to say, I thought the Winds of Change in Cantha was pretty awful. I really liked all the War in Kryta stuff as you got loads of cool loot, and it was pretty challenging (especially back in the day when you could only take 3 heros) without being annoying. The Winds of Change is just awful quests with no loot and annoying opponents.

FUCK AFFLICTED! >.<

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    I didn't find them to be too annoying.

On the other hand, have you seen some of the groups that replaced them? What a bitch.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I'm playing SW:TOR right now and getting a little frustrated at the terrible ability bloat/progression the game has. I love PvP, and had a lot of success with a Holy Pally in WoW, but right now I just don't have it in me to grind through BGs getting up to this season's gear again. I'm really excited about GW2, and was thinking about playing GW1 again.

I bought GW:Prophecies when it came out, but didn't do much other than ding 20 because I couldn't find a structured guild, and so found myself mostly playing on my own, and quit. I bought Factions and couldn't make it past...well, I don't even remember. I tried out Nightfall too, just to see what it was about, but ended up giving the whole account away to my little brother.

I may have to buy a new account, but I'm not terribly upset at that notion; I just want to make sure that I'll get my money's worth. I've forgotten just about everything I ever knew of this game, but I read through the OP and I'm starting on the link to Vic's new player's guide. Here's my questions:

1) About how long will it take me to get to the 'end game.' I know I can start with a PvP only character right from the get-go, but how long would it take me to level up a character from scratch and participate in the PvE dungeons?

2) Does Vic's guide teach me everything I need to know about leveling? I couldn't finish Factions as a solo player, and I don't want to beg for help while leveling; I've heard a lot of good things about henchmen though. What other links will I need?

3) Whenever I play WoW, I go straight back to the PAA (Penny-Arcade Alliance) and have been a huge supporter of Knights of Arcadia on Dark Iron ever since Gabe was running AB games. I'll join the Kansas City Hot Steppers in an instance if it's still an active guild. Is it? If not, is there a large active guild that still plays? I'm in the states right now, but in a month I'll be back in England and have a bit of a weird schedule.

I don't mean to be so demanding, but with GWII right around the corner, a WoW and SW:TOR account, and starting a master's degree, I need to be a little discerning with how I spend my limited free-time.

Bottom Line: I'm getting bored of SW:TOR, don't feel like WoW, don't want to 'waste' time in GWI to only hit the end game right as GWII comes out.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited February 2012
    "End game" shouldn't take that long, should definetly get to it before GW2 comes out. Once you finish a storyline you unlock Hard Mode, which allows you to fight more difficult enemies for better rewards. Depending on how fast you breeze through it, if you want to get Master's Rewards, the campaign you're on, etc. it shouldn't take longer than a week or two for each campaign. Earlier than that if you know what you're doing.

Leveling in and of itself is pretty straightforward, you should be 20 by the time you get close to beating the campaign. If not, a few quests here and there will help you boost up. You don't need to worry about finding the most efficient spots for experience or things like that unless you're trying to get the Survivor title.

Henchmen are really useful if you don't have heroes. You can use nothing but them if you have enough of them, but regardless of what you use, you only lose dividends of gold for having bigger parties (i.e. 4 way share for four members, even with one actual player). The most I've seen on one drop, though, is around 60-70 gold so you aren't losing much.

Again, I should be on here and there this weekend for those that need help with the Hall or other missions. I can't do hard mode dungeons or missions, but I can help with SF or NM master's for the most part. Just let me know here if you need help.

TolerantZero on
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, you can access everything in Guild Wars pretty quickly, especially if you're targeting something in particular. It's easy to solo when you want to, because of heroes. Heroes are like henchmen that you can spec, gear, and select skills for. And you can fill out a party with up to 7 of them.

For my wife and I who came in very late in the cycle, Guild Wars has played more like a co-op RPG than an MMO, because we're totally self-sufficient.

As an added bonus, if you do even a modicum of stuff in Guild Wars, you can earn yourself some sweet rewards in Guild Wars 2 through the Hall of Monuments.

Entriech on
    edited February 2012
    2) Does Vic's guide teach me everything I need to know about leveling? I couldn't finish Factions as a solo player, and I don't want to beg for help while leveling; I've heard a lot of good things about henchmen though. What other links will I need?

Assuming you mean Viv's that's posted in the OP? It's a good standard guide that gives you the lowdown on basic stuff for the game. If you have heroes, Flay posted a really good thread over at GWGuru for hero builds: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/hero-meta-guide-t10474776.html. Any questions you have you can generally ask us. I do recommend you start with Nightfall if you're starting from scratch, mainly because of the heroes.
    3) Whenever I play WoW, I go straight back to the PAA (Penny-Arcade Alliance) and have been a huge supporter of Knights of Arcadia on Dark Iron ever since Gabe was running AB games. I'll join the Kansas City Hot Steppers in an instance if it's still an active guild. Is it? If not, is there a large active guild that still plays? I'm in the states right now, but in a month I'll be back in England and have a bit of a weird schedule.

This isn't WoW unfortunately, but we'll typically have around 5-6 people on nightly. I've become more active again recently so I've been on quite a bit. I don't know when you go to England though, though we have some people that probably get on at weird times. I think I posted this earlier, but this is how active KCHS is:

11 People have logged in in the last 24 hours.
    19 People have logged in over the past week.

If you're interested in larger guilds, they're out there, but not affiliated to PA or anything. Massively runs one, but I don't know it's size. Most of the larger guilds have gone down a lot since GW's prime. And as Entriech said, GW can be played very much so as a solo or co-op game, especially if you have Heroes.

Geod on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I'm reading through the GWW now, and sent an email to support@GW, so I'll probably be reinstalled and playing later tonight or tomorrow. Looking back I actually have 2 accounts, one with all three games, and a second with just prophecies/factions, but I don't think I had anything of value: maybe a level 20 warrior...

No matter what, I'm interested in a Warrior, a Monk, an Elementalist, and maybe the Ritualist or Paragon. Is there an order that I should level these guys in? I haven't seen a leveling guide on GWW, but I'm not finished looking either. From Viv's guide it sounds like I want to level in Nightfall for the balanced learning curve and access to heroes.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I'd recommend a Ritualist, just for the versatility they bring. But in the end it's playing what you like to play.

If you can get access to your accounts, you'll have birthday presents that you can either sell, or use to put into the HoM. Sometimes they can be worth big money if you're lucky. It does also depend on how old your characters are.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The elementalist just received a big update, so a lot of information concerning their mechanics is out-of-date. If you'd rather figure that out on your own, I'd say go for them first.

Ritualists are the go-to guys for easy PvE content, but you'll have to start in Factions.

Paragons and monks are fantastic for groups.

Warriors... eh, if you really wanna. Think people usually just roll dervishes instead now, especially with their recent revamp.

naengwen on
    for most of your adventuring, Ritualist will be easiest for farming and most content, but anything with 3-4 energy regen can run a Signet of Spirits build. paragons also have a place in a lot of elite area teams.

question to you all, have any of you run a Keystone mesmer in general pve? i'm thinking about trying it in place of panic, since there is a lot of damage/interrupt in the build.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Don't try running spirits regularly on a non-Rt, you lose out on the spawning power bonus HP which is really important for tanking and prof aspects.

Is anyone here interested in doing any of the following for mutual benefit, this weekend: Sorrow's Furnace, Nightfall/Factions Masters, Nightfall Vanquishes?

1208768734831.jpg
    I'm up for Sorrow's Furnace.

Sure, I'll join in.

Alright, cool. I'll be on most of today. I know Flay's character, but I don't know yours.

1208768734831.jpg
    edited February 2012
    I usually use my Derv "Keeper of Divine". I'm on now.

TolerantZero on