As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So long, PIPA... stocking.. something. Long live the internets

17980828485101

Posts

  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    didn't obama fuck everyone over by not getting the dems to just pass bills in the first place -- before ted kennedy died and they lost the supermajority?

    he was trying to be the great uniter, a lot of what he was trying to do was bi-partisan.

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I kinda hope Gingrich wins the primary, just so Obama could crush him.
    I know if someone ran a multiyear smear campaign on my parents, my citizenship, and my heritage- I'd want the chance to publicly destroy the fucker.

    VayBJ4e.png
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Obama allowed the FISA amendment to pass (and thus retroactive telecom immunity because fuck the rule of law), allowed NDAA indefinite detention to pass, explicitly authorized extrajudicial killing of American citizens, expanded the use of sneak and peak warrants, expanded the use of National Security letters, kept open the embarrassment that is Guantanamo, and let the major financial institutions responsible for the great recession off the hook

    but that's all the opposition's fault and anyone who thinks that he's done anything but good is clearly unintelligent

    sig.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    CSIS may use intelligence derived from torture, Toews says
    The federal government is defending itself after more information has come to light about its directions to Canada's spy agency to use information that may have been extracted through torture in cases where public safety is at stake.

  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    I am disappointed, Canada

  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Would you like to see Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum in the White House come 2012, Tossrock

    CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Wasn't the ndaa going to pass whether or not he signed it
    I mean

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Wasn't the ndaa going to pass whether or not he signed it
    I mean

    Yeah, I was under the impression his veto would not have been diddly, but a sign he didn't like it.

  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Would you like to see Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum in the White House come 2012, Tossrock

    how is that at all relevant to anything I said?

    sig.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    JoeUser wrote:
    I am disappointed, Canada

    it's because the US is a bad influence
    you see that big ol' tough on crime bill on its way through the senate? canadian politics is basically the "me too" little brother to american politics, even though we're a few years behind and don't take the opportunity to learn from the US's mistakes

    Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Would you like to see Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum in the White House come 2012, Tossrock

    how is that at all relevant to anything I said?

    It's not I'm just curious!

    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Wasn't the ndaa going to pass whether or not he signed it
    I mean

    Pretty much

  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    and guantanamo was kept open because congress wouldn't agree on a place where the prisoners would be kept.

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Wasn't the ndaa going to pass whether or not he signed it
    I mean

    Pretty much

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    and iirc they sign stuff that will pass anyway so as not o appear ineffectual

    idk about those other things though

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    The NDAA was attached to the yearly military spending bill as I recall, so not signing it would then have been spun as not supporting the troops

  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tossrock wrote:
    Would you like to see Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum in the White House come 2012, Tossrock

    how is that at all relevant to anything I said?

    It's not I'm just curious!

    Well, no. No I would not. That doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of things about Obama that it is perfectly reasonable to dislike, and Sweeney asserting that "any intelligent voter can see that Obama did a lot of great and any bad that he did was not his fault, but the fault of the opposition" is ridiculous.

    Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    People concerned with immigration reform and environmental protection have also been generally dissatisfied

  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm just curious!

    2hpnei8.jpg

  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Never, keith

    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    explicitly authorized extrajudicial killing of American citizen.

    one person.

    overwhelming evidence proved that he was in league with the terrorists and he was living in yemen. i'm not saying it wasn't wrong for him to be killed for it without a trial but saying obama's not really an evil person for that.

  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Obama allowed the FISA amendment to pass (and thus retroactive telecom immunity because fuck the rule of law), allowed NDAA indefinite detention to pass, explicitly authorized extrajudicial killing of American citizens, expanded the use of sneak and peak warrants, expanded the use of National Security letters, kept open the embarrassment that is Guantanamo, and let the major financial institutions responsible for the great recession off the hook

    but that's all the opposition's fault and anyone who thinks that he's done anything but good is clearly unintelligent

    Remember back when Obama was cool. Hip. Dare I say...different.

    Those were the days.

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tossrock wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    Would you like to see Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum in the White House come 2012, Tossrock

    how is that at all relevant to anything I said?

    It's not I'm just curious!

    Well, no. No I would not. That doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of things about Obama that it is perfectly reasonable to dislike, and Sweeney asserting that "any intelligent voter can see that Obama did a lot of great and any bad that he did was not his fault, but the fault of the opposition" is ridiculous.

    Alright, I will admit I should not have said "any bad", that was a wrong phrase to use for what I was trying to say. I should have said some or half, not any

    I deserve that, and I am sorry.

    Sweeney Tom on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Never, keith

    story of my life

  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I'd say at least some of the things people knock Obama for aren't his fault

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Guys, we are not arguing whether he is good or bad, but whether enough people have negative perceptions of his action or inaction to vote for the other guy or stay home

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    politics are hopelessly flawed and corrupt and the only way to avert the incoming new dark age is the immediate installation of a hegemonic benevolent dictator

    literally

    Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Plus a part of me thinks Romney doesn't actually care about America,

    I don't think any of them do

    edit: Ron Paul probably does, in his crazy way

    Grey Ghost on
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Well, no. No I would not. That doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of things about Obama that it is perfectly reasonable to dislike, and Sweeney asserting that "any intelligent voter can see that Obama did a lot of great and any bad that he did was not his fault, but the fault of the opposition" is ridiculous.

    i wasn't saying that, i was really implying economics wise most of the issues are the fault of not just obama.

    i thought sweeney's comment was supposed to be ironic.

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'd say at least some of the things people knock Obama for aren't his fault

    The NDAA and Gitmo for example

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    Well, no. No I would not. That doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of things about Obama that it is perfectly reasonable to dislike, and Sweeney asserting that "any intelligent voter can see that Obama did a lot of great and any bad that he did was not his fault, but the fault of the opposition" is ridiculous.

    i wasn't saying that, i was really implying economics wise most of the issues are the fault of not just obama.

    i thought sweeney's comment was supposed to be ironic.

    The "intelligent voter" part was

    Once again, badly worded, and I'm extremely sorry.

  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    explicitly authorized extrajudicial killing of American citizen.

    one person.

    overwhelming evidence proved that he was in league with the terrorists and he was living in yemen. i'm not saying it wasn't wrong for him to be killed for it without a trial but saying obama's not really an evil person for that.

    I guess his 16 year old son doesn't count as a person? If you don't think allowing the President to assassinate American citizens is wrong because in this instance you're convinced it was a bad person, well, I guess we have some pretty fundamental disagreements.

    Here's a fun exercise: read this interview from 2001 with Anwar Al-Awlaki and try to reconcile it with the portrait painted in the media. Enjoy your cognitive dissonance!

    sig.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    So I think an Obama victory is pretty inevitable.

    Sweet. Don't show up to the polls then. It's in the bag.

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    explicitly authorized extrajudicial killing of American citizen.

    one person.

    overwhelming evidence proved that he was in league with the terrorists and he was living in yemen. i'm not saying it wasn't wrong for him to be killed for it without a trial but saying obama's not really an evil person for that.

    I guess his 16 year old son doesn't count as a person? If you don't think allowing the President to assassinate American citizens is wrong because in this instance you're convinced it was a bad person, well, I guess we have some pretty fundamental disagreements.

    Here's a fun exercise: read this interview from 2001 with Anwar Al-Awlaki and try to reconcile it with the portrait painted in the media. Enjoy your cognitive dissonance!

    This was my favorite part of that interview
    Alexandria, Va.: I saw your video on the Washington Post website this morning. Perhaps I am too biased as an American, but just what other avenues should or could the US have tried as opposed to as you put it - 'rushing into this war'?

    Also, like we say 'Merry Christmas', is there any special greeting Muslims use during Ramadan?

    Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki: The Taliban repeatedly said: show us the evidence and we will turn over whoever is guilty with the crime. The US should have given them the benefit of the doubt. Also our government could have dealt with the terrorist attacks as a crime against America rather than a war against America. So the guilty would be tried and only them would be punished rather than bombing an already destroyed country. I do not restrict myself to US media. I check out Aljazeerah and European media such as the BBC. I am seeing something that you are not seeing because of the one-sidedness of the US media. I see the carnage of Afghanistan. I see the innocent civilian deaths. That is why my opinion is different.
    Keep in mind that I have no sympathy for whoever committed the crimes of Sep 11th. But that doesn't mean that I would approve the killing of my Muslim brothers and sisters in Afghanistan. Even though this is a dissenting view nowadays but as an American I do have the right to have a contrary opinion.
    You can congratulate your Muslim friends with "Ramadan Mubarak"

    From talking about a serious subject like how he felt about his people being brutally murdered after a tragedy that some other followers of his religion of choice caused, to talking about how to say Merry Ramadan in the span of a sentence.

  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Here are some good excerpts:
    Tucson, Ariz.: First, I hope your holiday is a happy one for you and your family. With so much focus on Islam right now what should the non-Islamic world learn as a important lesson from the religion? Are there inter-faith outreach programs sponsored by Islamic mosques?

    Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki: Thank you very much. There are inter-faith services held in our mosque and around the greater DC area and in all over the country. The best thing our non-Muslim friends could do is to do some reading of the Quran. The Quran is the center of the religion and by reading it one would be able to get the best explanation of what Islam is about. We definitely need more mutual understanding.

    Adelphi, Md.: I just love Muslim people, and I also have lots of friends who are Muslims in the school. They all are so respectful, intelligent and honorful. But, I have one question that in the religion of Islam is it OK killing people and force women to wear burqas like what Taliban used to do in the Afghanistan? Also, is it bad for women to get education? And if so, why not for men?
    Thanks a lot for teaching me about the Islam. - Lisa H.

    Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki: The imposing of the Burqa on women by a government never happened in the 1400 year history of the Muslim world. the Taliban have no precedence in this. The Prophet along with his companions who ruled over the Muslims after him never did that.
    According to Prophet Muhammad: Education is mandatory on every Muslim male and female" That is the teaching of Islam and if anyone does otherwise they have disobeyed the Prophet of Islam himself. About killing, the greatest sin in Islam after associating other gods besides Allah is killing an innocent soul.
    Thanks a lot.

    Alexandria, Va.: I saw your video on the Washington Post website this morning. Perhaps I am too biased as an American, but just what other avenues should or could the US have tried as opposed to as you put it - 'rushing into this war'?

    Also, like we say 'Merry Christmas', is there any special greeting Muslims use during Ramadan?

    Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki: The Taliban repeatedly said: show us the evidence and we will turn over whoever is guilty with the crime. The US should have given them the benefit of the doubt. Also our government could have dealt with the terrorist attacks as a crime against America rather than a war against America. So the guilty would be tried and only them would be punished rather than bombing an already destroyed country. I do not restrict myself to US media. I check out Aljazeerah and European media such as the BBC. I am seeing something that you are not seeing because of the one-sidedness of the US media. I see the carnage of Afghanistan. I see the innocent civilian deaths. That is why my opinion is different.
    Keep in mind that I have no sympathy for whoever committed the crimes of Sep 11th. But that doesn't mean that I would approve the killing of my Muslim brothers and sisters in Afghanistan. Even though this is a dissenting view nowadays but as an American I do have the right to have a contrary opinion.
    You can congratulate your Muslim friends with "Ramadan Mubarak"

    sig.png
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Jasconius wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    So I think an Obama victory is pretty inevitable.

    Sweet. Don't show up to the polls then. It's in the bag.

    yes because that's exactly what i was implying.

    what i was saying was that, in my opinion from looking at the current GOP race, an obama victory was pretty likely to happen.

    nice try at strawman though.

    dbrock270 on
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    I was judging Awlaki by the overwhelming amount of evidence supporting the belief that he was supporting a terrorist, and i forgot about his son being killed and i apologize for that, it was wrong to not capture him, but unless there's more authorizations of killing of american citizens, it's not gonna be a huge factor in my decision to vote for obama.

  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Obama allowed the FISA amendment to pass (and thus retroactive telecom immunity because fuck the rule of law), allowed NDAA indefinite detention to pass, explicitly authorized extrajudicial killing of American citizens, expanded the use of sneak and peak warrants, expanded the use of National Security letters, kept open the embarrassment that is Guantanamo, and let the major financial institutions responsible for the great recession off the hook

    but that's all the opposition's fault and anyone who thinks that he's done anything but good is clearly unintelligent

    TO BE FAIR

    NDAA had enough support that it wouldn't have mattered what he did

  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    explicitly authorized extrajudicial killing of American citizen.

    one person.

    overwhelming evidence proved that he was in league with the terrorists and he was living in yemen. i'm not saying it wasn't wrong for him to be killed for it without a trial but saying obama's not really an evil person for that.

    Psst that is still fucking insane

    We should not be able to kill people based on secret evidence without any kind of trial or anything

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Oh cool, a college near where I live, and where 3 of my friends graduated from 4 or so years ago, made the Associated Press!

    For having a morning-after pill vending machine.

    Sigh.

This discussion has been closed.