As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Clive Barker's Undying!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Ugh. Great. So it's me. What I hate my computer.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:

You have Updated flash and such I presume?

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Helloween wrote:
    heenato wrote:

You have Updated flash and such I presume?
    Yup. I've got the newest version already.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Classic Helloween.

"WHERE DID HE GO?!" when you're looking at the guys corpse.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    We just started watching this the other day. I have to say that I'm really glad I never played it, because it looks exactly like the kind of thing that would wind me up to no end. MONSTER BEHIND YOU!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    The scythe and haste are great equalizers against a lot of the game's bullshit moments. Haste also bumps up your reload speed, which is handy since loading silver bullets takes longer.

Also, dispel does take down enemy barriers, though only a handful actually use them. It's better used for canceling effects on yourself, namely anything that blurs or distorts your vision. I also read it can kill those snake-cthulhu things from earlier, but I never tried it myself.

Anyhoo, great set Hello. GORRAM RATS

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I like how all the journals and everything make the scythe out to be this terrifying thing, but when you get it it's all awesome and useful and the reaction to it is, "YES. SCYTHE!"

Also, amusing that rats are the most terrifying things now.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    You missed an amplifier in the well and a manawell inside the greenhouse. GOD WEEN.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    I wonder how long it will take for him to realize that the scythe only gives health back if its in alt fire mode, also the whole not using molotovs in the narrow hallways and rooms is quite irritating.

Small hallway + Multiple pirates / fire in a bottle = less rage

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Magus` wrote:
    You missed an amplifier in the well and a manawell inside the greenhouse. GOD WEEN.

Cant you go back?
    iRevert wrote:
    I wonder how long it will take for him to realize that the scythe only gives health back if its in alt fire mode, also the whole not using molotovs in the narrow hallways and rooms is quite irritating.

Small hallway + Multiple pirates / fire in a bottle = less rage

Also yeah, I do know that. Which is why I was annoyed when I WAS using alt fire mode and it wasn't healing.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    So, I'm catching up on the videos, Oh god. I forgot about that glorious slap that Patrick gives 'lizabeth.

Though, I loved the smug look Patrick had on his face after.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I think the guns (revolvers, at least) are hitscan weapons, which might explain why the pirate dudes are annoyingly accurate with them. This is pretty much a conversion from Unreal with a few modifications, so it'd fit the mold. In any case, it's wise to wait for them to reload. And don't forget dispel, it brings down those shields their mages put up.

As for the scythe not doing its drain thing, it's just kind of a buggy gizmo. It'll almost always work if it's a decisive kill - beheading for instance - but it triggered less often if the body just fell over. Not sure if that's how it actually works, but that's what I noticed.

Fortunately, you'll get a very useful spell in the next segment, if I'm remembering right. Should save you some frustration against those guns.

• Options
    Stolls wrote:
    I think the guns (revolvers, at least) are hitscan weapons, which might explain why the pirate dudes are annoyingly accurate with them. This is pretty much a conversion from Unreal with a few modifications, so it'd fit the mold. In any case, it's wise to wait for them to reload. And don't forget dispel, it brings down those shields their mages put up.

As for the scythe not doing its drain thing, it's just kind of a buggy gizmo. It'll almost always work if it's a decisive kill - beheading for instance - but it triggered less often if the body just fell over. Not sure if that's how it actually works, but that's what I noticed.

Fortunately, you'll get a very useful spell in the next segment, if I'm remembering right. Should save you some frustration against those guns.

Is it the 'die' spell. That would be good!

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    No you cannot go back, Ween. That was the only time to visit the greenhouse and dive to the bottom of the well. Also, max out haste (no reason not to) and keep it up all the time. Even if you're just using the pistol, it causes it to fire faster and reload faster.

As I've told you before about the scythe (and people have mentioned here), the alt-fire 'life drain' effect is kind of a crapshoot. I'd give it a good 50% chance to work (and some enemies, like skeletons, are immune). Ignore what the stupid people on Youtube are saying about standing in blood puddles though - that has shit all to do with the health drain and they are dumb.

The big thing is the game is at the point where it's going to get harder and harder from here on out. There will be no breather areas like the 'past' with the monks. You're already low on health packs which will be an issue - expect to save/load a lot in the last area. I had over 150 health packs going into the final area and ended the game with just under 60 or so and that was playing defensively. Not to mention I had all the whorls and manawells, of which you've missed quite a few here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on you or calling you shite, just warning you that if you're frustrated now, well, it's gonna get worse. Hopefully you'll enjoy the entire experience though.

On a side note, you'll eventually come across enemies who distort your field of vision. The dispel spell will remove this (though it doesn't always work the first time, for whatever reason) and should be used ASAP, especially if you have motion sickness. Also, don't be afraid to use the phosphorous shotgun shells because, as you can see, you can only carry a small amount at anytime and they're fairly common. They kill the plants in one hit, more or less.

Anyhow, that's about it. Good luck!

Magus` on
  • Options
    Eternal Autumn
    I just haste/shield/scythe through the damn place lol, makes it a lot easier ignoring everything but the stuff you have to. Cavemen easy to kill this way too. Also haste speeds up
    flying!
    so that's a help.

• Options
    Helloween wrote:
    Stolls wrote:

Is it the 'die' spell. That would be good!

Not as such, but you do kind of have one already. Invoke forces non-mage Trsanti to kill themselves.

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote:
    Eternal Autumn
    I just haste/shield/scythe through the damn place lol, makes it a lot easier ignoring everything but the stuff you have to. Cavemen easy to kill this way too. Also haste speeds up
    flying!
    so that's a help.

Yeah, that's mostly what I did, though I could've used shield more. The game would be that much better if you could hot-key spells for instant casting, though.

• Options
    Stolls wrote:
    Not as such, but you do kind of have one already. Invoke forces non-mage Trsanti to kill themselves.

Oh yah! I totally need to test this shit on some pirate gimps tonight. No more getting shot for me!

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm watching your Dead Space 2 playthorugh and people are giveing me looks over the cube walls. "No nudies on my tram" almost made me crap myself.

I'm afraid you're going to have to have my non-sexual babies, Hell.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    I'm watching your Dead Space 2 playthorugh and people are giveing me looks over the cube walls. "No nudies on my tram" almost made me crap myself.

I'm afraid you're going to have to have my non-sexual babies, Hell.

See I say this on the way to work as well, but then I just get funny looks. Dead Space 2 was so damn fun to play through, I really need to give it another wack

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Helloween wrote:

See I say this on the way to work as well, but then I just get funny looks. Dead Space 2 was so damn fun to play through, I really need to give it another wack
    No, I'm pretty sure you get funny looks because you're always beating hobos over the head with 2x4's

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    Helloween wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure you get funny looks because you're always beating hobos over the head with 2x4's

Well, in his defense, apparently they are nude.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    heenato wrote:
    Helloween wrote:

Well, in his defense, apparently they are nude.

The worst kind!

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Okay Hello you should be getting skullstorm next set. Here's some tips on it cause I don't think the game tells you about it.

Max it, more skulls= more damage and it's gonna be your endgame damage for a good part of the finale.

Hold the button when you cast it to charge the skulls, when they start shooting fire out of their eyes they're at max charge, and you regen mana when skulls are out so you can almost always be topped of, so really no reason not to max it right away.

And max shield and haste too, only spells you need endgame are Skull Storm, Shield and Haste. The more points you put into shield the more damage it absorbs.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Huh, those were clean beheadings and the scythe still didn't trigger. Guess it's just really, really choosy. Oh well.

Anyway, yes, do put points into shield. Takes a lot of sting out of those surprise hits at a distance, which will happen often. As for phosphorus rounds, I think they technically do less damage on contact than standard shells, but ultimately do more damage over time. There also seems to be a bit more spread. Personally I saved them for bigger, slower targets, especially since Trsanti drop a ton of regular ammo.

Also, it seems you're falling off ladders because you're facing away from them as you're moving down. I think even if you're looking straight up or down, you're still moving 'forward' in a sense, so unless you're continually pushing into the grab surface you'll move just far enough to lose your grip. I remember Deus Ex ladders having a similar problem. Face forward when looking up or down and you should be okay.

Lastly, this set was great for quips. "Quiet, left hand! I'm moaning!"

Edit: Not to overload with advice, but if it flies, use silver bullets.

Stolls on
  • Options
    Stolls wrote:
    Huh, those were clean beheadings and the scythe still didn't trigger. Guess it's just really, really choosy. Oh well.

Anyway, yes, do put points into shield. Takes a lot of sting out of those surprise hits at a distance, which will happen often. As for phosphorus rounds, I think they technically do less damage on contact than standard shells, but ultimately do more damage over time. There also seems to be a bit more spread. Personally I saved them for bigger, slower targets, especially since Trsanti drop a ton of regular ammo.

Also, it seems you're falling off ladders because you're facing away from them as you're moving down. I think even if you're looking straight up or down, you're still moving 'forward' in a sense, so unless you're continually pushing into the grab surface you'll move just far enough to lose your grip. I remember Deus Ex ladders having a similar problem. Face forward when looking up or down and you should be okay.

Lastly, this set was great for quips. "Quiet, left hand! I'm moaning!"

Edit: Not to overload with advice, but if it flies, use silver bullets.

Pfft, lead should still do the job dammit :(

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    That glowing star on the wall was for you to push it to get an item.

Also there is a part you're near where if you go down a hallway, a cannon shoots you to death. The trick is to at least 3-4 levels in shield to stop the cannon ball so you can get the items in the room.

On a side note, you've easily missed 40% of the vital items in the game cause you suck at exploring. Baddie.

• Options
    Magus` wrote:

Also there is a part you're near where if you go down a hallway, a cannon shoots you to death. The trick is to at least 3-4 levels in shield to stop the cannon ball so you can get the items in the room.

On a side note, you've easily missed 40% of the vital items in the game cause you suck at exploring. Baddie.

Maybe if this game has a map and let me go back I would be ok! :(

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Helloween wrote:
    Magus` wrote:

Sorry Hell, it would let you go back, but it's jammed.

• Options
    Dranyth wrote:
    Helloween wrote:
    Magus` wrote:

Sorry Hell, it would let you go back, but it's jammed.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Seriously. I hate that :( Why make them doors that dont open ;_;

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Cause what kind of ancient ruin has ONE door?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    You know, I'm reminded a bit of the original Thief games. There were a lot of doors around, especially in City sections, for the realism of what a city would actually be like. However, areas that they had no intention of you ever going in had doors that were just textures as opposed to an actual door model, and it was really easy to tell what was a door and what wasn't.

I think that's a major part of the frustration here, in that completely useless doors look exactly like doors you can (and have to) use, and the only way to tell the difference is to go and 'use hump' everything. If you could tell at a distance that a door was useless, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

• Options
    Well, admittedly, almost every door you come across you do enter at least once at some point.

• Options
    Magus` wrote:
    Well, admittedly, almost every door you come across you do enter at least once at some point.

Given the sheer number of doors I've seen, especially in the mansion area, I find that highly improbable.

• Options
    Yeah, it was probably just a time-saving mechanism for reusing each area. Rather than have textures to individually convert into doors along the way, they set them all as active doors from the onset and just alter scripts to open/jahm as needed. Not the most elegant solution, but if time's a factor...

• Options
    Honestly this game doesn't seem very good. It's like it's constantly wavering between a survival horror thing and Doom. Every time they're just starting to build some atmosphere, they wreck it with a 'here's an endless stream of baddies, enjoy!' section.

The massive amount of doors that are stuck, jammed or just won't budge is rather maddening.

Helloween's on going trials versus ladders saves the series though, at least. Not to mention the new psychotic obsession with making pirates kill themselves.

• Options
    Dranyth wrote:
    Honestly this game doesn't seem very good. It's like it's constantly wavering between a survival horror thing and Doom. Every time they're just starting to build some atmosphere, they wreck it with a 'here's an endless stream of baddies, enjoy!' section.

The massive amount of doors that are stuck, jammed or just won't budge is rather maddening.

Helloween's on going trials versus ladders saves the series though, at least. Not to mention the new psychotic obsession with making pirates kill themselves.

Oh you just wait til later. I run into the increadble hulk douche

Youtube Channel!