As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dog with potential rib injury

ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Preface: I am planning on taking her to the vet, but their hours vs. my hours and when I have the car means it may be a Saturday before I can get her there.

So my mini eskimo/chihuahua cross figured out yesterday she can jump over the baby gates we set up to lock the dogs in select areas. When I came home though, she wasn't her usual cheery self, was very slow to go up and down stairs, has had shallow (but not labored or heavy) breathing, and was obviously uncomfortable when I picked her up my normal way, by way of her chest. A cursory look over the internet confirms my feelings that she's done some sort of damage to her ribs. I'm just wondering what I can do to ease her discomfort until I am able to take her to the vet.

Puppies: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38104297@N02/6840979043/

ihmmy on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    not much, unless its floating around, there isn't much to do for a rib injury. doc will probably give you metacam for her.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    The risk with a chest injury for dogs is that there can be so much swelling that they literally can't fit air into their lungs. A dog who seems alert and mostly ok after being hit by a car can be choking to death 2 hours later. I don't think a minor fall would be enough to cause that kind of bruising though and since it happened yesterday my guess is that she would have choked already if it was that bad. For now I recommend avoid lifting her up. If you need to move her encourage her to lay on something, like a folded blanket or towel and then pick her up with the bedding.