As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fuck

YES

Circle of Four is going to rule so hard

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The next part of Circle of Four is out already. Didn't go quite how I expected it.
    I would have thought the 'Ichor' manifestation was Venom's counterpart, but he is apparently Ghost Rider's, and was dispatched by GR right away. The others are having a harder time with their evil twins.

I anticipated it would be a case of each hero getting kicked around by their counterpart before figuring out they need to attack someone else's, but it appears that it's going to be a case of each hero overcoming their own flaws in order to win against their doppleganger.

Hard to miss with an action-heavy story that's coming out so quickly.

H9f4bVe.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think it was still a good issue, but not quite as good as the first due to Williams being less talented than Remender.

I am pretty excited for Jeff Parker's issue though.

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Scarlet Spider #2 was good, it actually established Kaine in Houston an issue quicker than I thought it would have, and I like the idea of having a Spider-Man who will pick up a gun and use it without any hesitation. It's also refreshing to see what appears to be a warm welcome for Kaine from the city in general, wanting a hero in town and not having the cops try and arrest him because hurp de durp. And a decent joke using the mayor's name in relation to Spider-Man. Great art as well, Stegman will be off this book in a few issues because he'll be stolen for Avengers or something.

Only thing that was weak was the plot point for a supporting character, Yost just didn't do his homework to set it up.
    Houston is a sanctuary city, so the notion of having Kaine save the illegal girl from being deported in the hospital makes no sense. He could have just jumped straight into the Statham Transporter role

I think this was also the first book I've seen that has that new paper run that Marvel is implementing where the cover is the same thickness as the pages inside, which explains how it shows damage and impressions much more compared to a regular DC cover.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Scarlet Spider #2 was good, it actually established Kaine in Houston an issue quicker than I thought it would have, and I like the idea of having a Spider-Man who will pick up a gun and use it without any hesitation. It's also refreshing to see what appears to be a warm welcome for Kaine from the city in general, wanting a hero in town and not having the cops try and arrest him because hurp de durp. And a decent joke using the mayor's name in relation to Spider-Man. Great art as well, Stegman will be off this book in a few issues because he'll be stolen for Avengers or something.

Only thing that was weak was the plot point for a supporting character, Yost just didn't do his homework to set it up.
    Houston is a sanctuary city, so the notion of having Kaine save the illegal girl from being deported in the hospital makes no sense. He could have just jumped straight into the Statham Transporter role

I think this was also the first book I've seen that has that new paper run that Marvel is implementing where the cover is the same thickness as the pages inside, which explains how it shows damage and impressions much more compared to a regular DC cover.

don't know if it's the same, but my Marvel comics smudge a lot easier than DC ones

my WatXM #1 is really smudged up just because I kept holding it while laughing

huntresssig.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Still wish Scarlet Spider was Ben Reilly. I really thought his... clone goo was going to be what the Queen gave Jackal in Spider Island, and he brought Ben back to be Spider-King Bash Brothers with Kaine. At least I was sort of close.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    So do I, but to be fair a Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider book wouldn't be too different from the current ASM.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I just can't get past how uninspired the costume is. All it tells you about the character is that he's a Spider-Man knock-off.

But Kaine is literally a Spider-Man knock-off?

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic

Yeah, but if you expect the character to stand on his own then you need to move past that. If he's Peter Parker without the emotional baggage or sense of responsibility, then the outfit should express that somehow.

Instead, you've got a guy yelling, "I'm not Spider-Man," while wearing a Spider-Man costume.

The dude's name is Scarlet Spider and he shoots webs and punches and wall crawls and more

he is always going to be a Spider-Man knock off

CYpGAPn.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    steel spider ongoing

7656367.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Blankzilla wrote:
    The dude's name is Scarlet Spider and he shoots webs and punches and wall crawls and more

he is always going to be a Spider-Man knock off
    Then the character can't stand on his own and, really, has no reason to exist at all.

Just shove him and his dumb costume back in that chimney.

Robos A Go Go on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Scarlet Spider is great

he's an angrier, less good Peter, with all of the Other powers, in a non-new york location

these are all things that can make him different and worth looking at

i am glad that the Other stuff isn't completely gone forever, but i'm also glad it wasn't peter who has the organic web shooters

edited February 2012
    That is pretty dumb

You can stand on your own while also being similar to another character

I mean we have Batwoman, Batwing and Batgirl, Superboy and Supergirl

you tellin me they shouldn't exist?

Kaine is his own character, but he will always be a knock-off type deal of Spider-Man. I mean he is LITERALLY a clone.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    So do I, but to be fair a Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider book wouldn't be too different from the current ASM.

It was different the last time they did it.

No. He's closer to Venom. Back in the 90's he was killing people left & right. Stalked Ben Reilly regulary to beat the shit out of him whenever Ben started feeling normal again.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I'd like to see what's going on with Kaine's Other powers get explained better in Scarlet Spider and ASM. Plus he developed the arm stinger things years before The Other storyline, which could have some interesting storyline implications.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Venom is a book about a good man trying not to do bad things

Scarlet Spider is a book about a bad man trying to do good things

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I hate that they don't explain Scarlet's suit.

It's suppose to be the stealth suit that he took from Peter except it looks nothing like it. Just seems lazy to me.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote:
    I hate that they don't explain Scarlet's suit.

It's suppose to be the stealth suit that he took from Peter except it looks nothing like it. Just seems lazy to me.

"unstable molecules"

edited February 2012
    You know, Flash Thompson getting to be like Spider-Man isn't nearly as fun as you'd think.

Remender's basically replaced the headstrong, lovable former bully with alcoholic adventurer Heath Huston.

Robos A Go Go on
    http://ifanboy.com/articles/exclusive-venom-savage-six-with-rick-remender-cullen-bunn/

Looks like Remender is probably leaving Venom this means :( .

edited February 2012
    I really doubt it

Bunn has been helping out co-writing things all over the place and Remender has said he has lots of plans for Venom

plus Bunn just got Captain America and Hawkeye and Wolverine as solo gigs

he is probably busy

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    Yeah I wouldn't take this as meaning that Remender is going to leave the title

also that sounds awesome

also that cover is really cool

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I see Crime Master, Jack O' Lantern, Human Fly who is holy shit obscure, Toxin, and two dudes I don't recognize at all

it seems like brock will be toxin for the arc at the very least

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hopefully get some word on what happened with Toxin's last host, once Circle of Four wraps up. Crime Master will probably wind up binding it to some goon, but would be cool to give it to Brock - the symbiote's semi-benign nature + Brock's crazy religious view of symbiotes could make for an interesting mix.

Re.: Circle of Four, an interesting twist:
    of Flash's neck!

Not a joke, the heroes are all dead now.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited February 2012
    Golden Yak wrote:
    Hopefully get some word on what happened with Toxin's last host, once Circle of Four wraps up. Crime Master will probably wind up binding it to some goon, but would be cool to give it to Brock - the symbiote's semi-benign nature + Brock's crazy religious view of symbiotes could make for an interesting mix.

Re.: Circle of Four, an interesting twist:
    of Flash's neck!

Not a joke, the heroes are all dead now.
    They're all assholes, so chances are that dying just sends them to hell. Since Vegas is now a part of hell, it shouldn't be impossible for them to find their way back and continue the fight.

Robos A Go Go on
    So Venom 13.3 ended on an awesome note.
    The 4 heroes all agree to a pact that makes them Mephisto's "special forces" or something similar in order to get back to Vegas and kick Blackheart's ass.

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Venom 13.3 ended on an awesome note.
    The 4 heroes all agree to a pact that makes them Mephisto's "special forces" or something similar in order to get back to Vegas and kick Blackheart's ass.

Haha, that sounds great!

edited February 2012
    Yeah, that was awesome. If it winds up being a regular thing, that would be amazing.
    Each of the heroes operating within their own team as respected agents (Avengers, X-Men, etc.), but occasionally having to sneak away to fulfill their dark pact by hunting down some supernatural baddie that's trying to outshine Mephisto. Like a dark version of the Defenders. Great stuff.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Damn it. Second time in like a week where I quote someone that quoted a spoiler and forget that spoilers show when quoted. That is so dumb.

Anyway, I am pretty excited to pick up Venom 13.3. I just got all caught up like a day or two ago. Are there any non-Venom series that involve the Flash Venom? I think I got I got maybe some sort of Avengers issue ordered for like April or so that had him on the cover.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    He just joined Secret Avengers as of this issue

CYpGAPn.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Bam. Got Venom 13.3 and Secret Avengers 23 (yay more Venom).

edit: Read it. Good stuff. I was so sad when...
    ...I realized all this shit was a dream or whatever. I 100% wanted Flash as Spider-Man. Haha.

Also, they are going to be asked for a favor at a later date. Sooooo, is that another arc for the future or a one issue thing?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    prv11565_pg3.jpg

hell

yes

CYpGAPn.png
    WOOO!!!

You know, Flash Thompson getting to be like Spider-Man isn't nearly as fun as you'd think.

Remender's basically replaced the headstrong, lovable former bully with alcoholic adventurer Heath Huston.

Both directions are believable characterizations for Flash.

Where is that from @Blankzilla ?

Next week's issue of Amazing Spider-Man, first part of a 2 parter with Peter and Johnny in spaaaaace

CYpGAPn.png