As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Who's bringing their 3DS (or other handheld device) and what games?

• Options
    Prototype AxlPrototype Axl Registered User regular
    Ordered a 3DS. Now to find a game or two to get some playtime from because Kindoms of Amalur: Awakening and Mass Effect 3 will be taking up a good amount of my time these next two months.
    Also, good to see others still planning on bringing DQ9. I admit I haven't done very many treasure maps, but I still love collecting them.

• Options
    DominoDomino Keizen Mikazuki New York, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ohhhh, I completely forgot about DQ9. Maybe I can finally get that Metal King Slime dungeon!!!
    Also, I'm thinking about bringing Monster Hunter Portable 3. It's been like a year and a half since I played Monster Hunter Unite, but I wouldn't mind getting back into the series.

Domino on
    tFh5HdJ.png
  • Options
    TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    I don't have a 3DS but I'll be bringing my DS Lite and all of my games

Which include (but are not limited to): Pokemon Daimond, Platinum, Soul Silver, Black, The World Ends With You, Elite Beat Agents, Kingdom Hearts, 358/2, and Mario Party...

I'll also be bringing Vampires and Witches the secrets of Ashburry, which is a tremendously terrible game, but I find it the most amusing and stupid thing in the world. My friends couldn't get past 20 minutes of playing it at a party, I ended up playing it the entire time, so they gave it to me. If there's ever a time where I'm not playing pokemon, I'd love to see some people try their hand at the game.

unfortunately other then that I'm mostly a PC gamer, and that's not too portable. well that's a lie, since I'll also have my laptop, but I don't have many games downloaded on it, since I do most of my PC gaming on my desktop.

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • Options
    PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    I may bring my tiger handheld games of Double Dragon and Castlevania. :)

Now that is going old school. Makes me almost want to bust out my Atari Lynx and maybe even blow the dust off the Virtual Boy.

Virtual Boy would be tough to carry around.

Nothing that a little duct tape couldn't solve!

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Looks like I'll have UMvC3 and Wipeout for multiplayer Vita action with me!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I'm bringing my DS, don't have a 3D version. I have a basic stock of games - Mario Kart, Pokemon Black (never played, I keep meaning too) and a few others that I can barely remember.

Yeah, I always meant to play games with other random people but I never seem to get around to it!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing the 3DS along with DQ9 and Pokemon White. Probably some other stuff too but I haven't decided what yet.

• Options
    kitties_on_acidkitties_on_acid Registered User regular
    I'll have my DSi, with your standard generic games. Also my Top Trumps Doctor Who game b/c its a fun way to make friends by seeing if anyone recognizes the theme song. :D

• Options
    griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    Just preordered my 3G Vita. Once they announced the bundle option it became a no brainer for me. Now I must decide what games to get off the bat. Planning to go pretty much all digital if I can. Most likely Lumines and ModNation Racers first.

Anyone else order one since the 3G bundle announcement?

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Ordered my 3DS yesterday. Should be here tomorrow. Picked up SML3D, Star Fox, MK7, Zelda, and a power pak - should be all set for PAX!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    The AfromanThe Afroman Registered User regular
    Pre Ordered my 3G Vita. Amazon! Excited for some Lumines, Uncharted, UMvC3, and Modnation. LBP should also be out by PAX.. so we will see!

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Google+//http://gplus.to/TheAfroman
  • Options
    Nice to see more people getting Vitas in this thread! Can't wait to race in Wipeout and rumble in UMvC3 while waiting in line!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    I just pre-ordered my PS Vita on Amazon too. I still don't have a good idea on what games I'm going to have by PAX ( except for Hot Shots Golf and Lumines )

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    Just bought Wipeout. It's on Amazon for 29.99 so.. eh pulled the trigger. I also read that Hot Shots is up on PSN for a few bucks cheaper then retail.. but Amazon also has it for 29.99 so yeah retail is still cheaper

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
  • Options
    siegewolfsiegewolf Registered User new member
    Looks like I'll be picking up either Modnation Racers or UMvC3 for my Vita. I'll also be looking forward to cooping Resident Evil Revelations with some people.

• Options
    I would stay away from Modnation.. unless you just want it for PAX. No online multiplayer.. :-/

http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1216411p1.html

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
  • Options
    Just bought Wipeout. It's on Amazon for 29.99 so.. eh pulled the trigger. I also read that Hot Shots is up on PSN for a few bucks cheaper then retail.. but Amazon also has it for 29.99 so yeah retail is still cheaper

I got Hot Shots Golf as well from Amazon, and I've never even played one of the games in this series. :lol: I just got in the mood for an arcade golf game and this should fit the bill.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    Definitely bringing the DS and this thread is encouraging me to start my DQ9 game. I'm on the fence about the 3DS; StreetPass seems hella fun, the $149 sale is fierce, and Metal Gear is coming out soon.

Pictochat, by itself, is hilarious in con lines. I hope there's a Pictochat scene at PAX!

• Options
    WizardWizard Registered User regular
    Well, you want to put in at least the initial hour into DQ9 so that you can start tagging. I see Trion's coming again this year, so hopefully we can wrangle some more DQ meet ups for tagging, grotto running, and fun.

Thanks for putting it together last year, Trion!

• Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    dumb question:
    does the 3ds have anything akin to pictochat?

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I just bought a 3DS today. Got Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. I'm looking forward to racing some peeps while waiting in lines. I also plan on getting that Resident Evil game and maybe one other game sometime before the convention.

• Options
    girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    I'll have my DS with Chrono Trigger in it so I can show people my level capped character save file because I have no life :-P I'll probably also have Heart Gold on me because it's the only Pokemon game I currently have.

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • Options
    ottoman673 wrote:
    dumb question:
    does the 3ds have anything akin to pictochat?

No, Pictochat was removed from the 3DS. You can download SwapNote from the eShop for free, and that will let you draw and send drawings to people on your friends list or to random people via StreetPass, but not in a chat room like Pictochat.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    Hey there Wizard. I'd be willing to set up the DQ meetings again this year. I suspect there probably won't be the same level of interest this time around, but we could probably get people together at least one day.

If it seems like a good idea I can start a thread up next week and we can figure out what works best from there.

• Options
    laivindillaivindil Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing my 3DS! I'll be getting MK7 before the convention, will probably be the only multiplayer game I will have.

PAX East 2012 Attendee. Also going to East 13.
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    I'll have my DS with Chrono Trigger in it so I can show people my level capped character save file because I have no life :-P I'll probably also have Heart Gold on me because it's the only Pokemon game I currently have.

I wasn't aware that there was a Chrono Trigger for the DS. *goes looking for it immediately*

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    Thanks for the tip, @Wizard! I'll be sure to get to that part if I partake!

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    I bring my 3DS everywhere. I use the step counter to see how much my tubby ass moves about in a day. I would like it if nintendo would unlock the coin cap per day you can get, cause some days i'm pretty up there.

I'm looking into the pokemon challenge, so i might have black or white on me (haven't purchased either), and maybe nintendogs.

• Options
    JonnyGallJonnyGall Registered User new member
    I'll be bringing my DS and 3DS. There's got to be a few people using Pictochat still

• Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    heres my first ever forum post, i will be bringing a ds lite nintendogs, mario kart,new mario bros, guitar hero ds and plenty others

, and a gameboy color or sp... or something i've modded before the show and i will have tetris a few misc multi players , pokemon blue and yellow and battle toads ...no im not joking

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    KankuiKankui Registered User regular
    I will be bringing my AWESOME Collector's Edition Zelda 3DS to PAX EAST. I may go out and pick up Heartgold (it will be my FIRST pokemon game!... is that a good thing? You tell me!) Right now, I dont have ANY 3DS games, well I do, I have Zelda: OoT but I won't be opening that...

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    besides pokemon, nintendogs, what other games have stuff that you can trade/street pass to people??

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Kankui wrote:
    I will be bringing my AWESOME Collector's Edition Zelda 3DS to PAX EAST. I may go out and pick up Heartgold (it will be my FIRST pokemon game!... is that a good thing? You tell me!) Right now, I dont have ANY 3DS games, well I do, I have Zelda: OoT but I won't be opening that...

Get Black or White instead of HeartGold. More people will be playing the newest game. And why aren't you opening OoT?

This brings up something I wanted to remind everyone of: While you are playing a DS game all 3DS functionality is gone. No StreetPass communication at all, even with the 3DS closed. I'd hate for anyone to miss StreetPass tags because they had Pokemon in all weekend!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    KankuiKankui Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Kankui wrote:

Get Black or White instead of HeartGold. More people will be playing the newest game. And why aren't you opening OoT?

Why not? Because I played it about once and a half when it was new back in 97 or whatever year it was! Plus it says NOT FOR RESALE, so maybe it will be worth something.

Thanks for the input on getting Black/White. I just may!

• Options
    Kankui wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    Kankui wrote:

Why not? Because I played it about once and a half when it was new back in 97 or whatever year it was! Plus it says NOT FOR RESALE, so maybe it will be worth something.

Thanks for the input on getting Black/White. I just may!

No problem! Black/White is the best Pokemon game yet, you'll enjoy it a lot. :-)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    McMagpieMcMagpie Registered User new member
    I'm considering getting a 3DS for PAX. Especially with the $150 deal Gamestop currently has going on...it's hard not to!

If I don't make the plunge, I'll be bringing along my DS Lite with Pokemon Black and possibly DQ9.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Anyone who thinks they want a 3DS should make their choice by PAX, as I've said before you're going to kick yourself if you get it afterwards and think about all the StreetPass tags you missed!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    ZaleraZalera Registered User new member
    Oh man, so many StreetPass tags.

I'll have mine with probably Mario Kart 7 as the default and whatever random games I have from the Ambassador program (not that any of them are multiplayer, anyway...).

I'll most likely have my PSP with me as well, but that's for Super Robot Wars. Z2 Saisei Hen comes out the day before PAX though, don't think it can ship from JP that fast. :(

• Options
    laivindillaivindil Registered User regular
    I have something like 4 tags for my 3DS right now, and I live in Boston (read: city with decent pop). Can't wait for PAX to blow me out of the water.

PAX East 2012 Attendee. Also going to East 13.
  • Options
    Tap Master CTap Master C Registered User regular
    laivindil wrote:
    I have something like 4 tags for my 3DS right now, and I live in Boston (read: city with decent pop). Can't wait for PAX to blow me out of the water.
    Haha, you must not be running into me then. I get a StreetPass about once every couple days taking the T to and from work. I can't wait to see how many Tags we can log at PAX. Last year, I averaged about 120 Tags each at 3 separate anime conventions. It would have been much more had it not been for the 10 Tag limit and my forgetfulness to check the 3DS. If I can keep from getting too distracted at PAX (yeah right...,) I hope to clear 200 Tags there.

I'll got several 3DS games for SP and MP: Mario Kart 7, Pokemon Rumble Blast, DOA:Dimensions, SFIV, SW:Chronicles, & Pro Evo 2011. Mario Kart will definitely be popular, but hopefully, some people will have the other 5 games too...
    Fruhmann wrote:
    besides pokemon, nintendogs, what other games have stuff that you can trade/street pass to people??
    The majority of 3DS games have a StreetPass function. For instance, of the games that I'm bringing: MK7 lets you swap your Mii, Kart, Ghost Data & a Custom Grand Prix to race against. Pokemon RB swaps players' pokemon roster to battle against. DOA:D sends a player's data (battle record/favorite character) to others to fight against. SFIV sends a custom-made team of character figures to battle with others. SW: Chronicles also sends a custom-made team of fighters to fight against, but also swaps a weapon of your choosing for others to use in their game. Pro Evo 2011 trades Master League team data with others to play a match against.

PAX East 2013 Omeganaut

Hmm... I seem to have misplaced my signature...