As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Men Thread: Regenesis is here, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TexiKen wrote:
    WatXM #5, that was an issue that really showed how 20 pages can hurt a book, as it cuts off the interesting Kitty story for a connecting four page new villain reveal that just stopped all the momentum of the book. It was something I expected out of a DCnU book, to be honest.
    but

the new villain was part of the Kitty story

he sent the Brood to go infect Kitty or is at least somehow involved in all of it because he detected her infection

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That's why I put connecting there. It was four pages that just put a damper on both the A-plot with Kitty and the B-plot with Wolverine and Quentin. Make that just the last page with a different panel layout, and you have three more pages to show the school. Or give us two more pages.

I'm reading along, liking the issue, and then the last thing I get is this 90's looking villain who looks a bit like a Dragon Age 2 space Orc. It just kills the momentum of the story flat.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hey so Alpha and Omega still seems like it could have been a one-and-done not five fucking issues. Decompression my ass.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    Hey so Alpha and Omega still seems like iit could have been a one-and-done not five fucking issues. Decompression my ass.

Well I'm sure there is a doctor somewhere who can do it, if you have the cash.

• Options
    dammit now you have frozen my egregious spelling error for all time solar

this is the end

I WILL BE THE DEATH OF YOU

(next issue)

(in this summer's crossover)

(you'll come back in September)

(but we're totally going to sell the death of solar for all it's worth)

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah it's gonna be a big one folks!

make sure you pick Arivia vs Solar #1, coming this April!

• Options
    Variant covers provided by Greg Land, Whilce Portacio, J. Scott Campbell, and Rob Liefeld - collect all four to put them together and reveal a secret message!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The Secret Message is HHAHAHAHAAA WE HAVE ALL YOUR FUCKING MONEEEEEYYY!!! right?

Solar on
  • Options
    pretty much

also holy shit you like bad art.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Arivia wrote:
    pretty much

Liefeld and Land suck. Whilce Portacio aint as bad as them but he is still pretty bad. Campbell draws pretty good cheesecake if you are into that sort of thing, plus his art is stylised in a way I like, but it's not great. Stuff like this is vaguely cool though, it's not fantastic art but it looks fun. http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/260/6/0/marvel_comics_presents_color_by_j_scott_campbell-d1azwiv.jpg

I was just remarking on how those are artists whose covers will probably sell like hot cakes. Maybe replace Portacio with Jim Lee and Campbell with Finch if you want to truly art criminal it up, while making all the cash.

Solar on
  • Options
    Solar wrote:
    Arivia wrote:
    pretty much

Liefeld and Land suck. Whilce Portacio aint as bad as them but he is still pretty bad. Campbell draws pretty good cheesecake if you are into that sort of thing, plus his art is stylised in a way I like, but it's not great. Stuff like this is vaguely cool though, it's not fantastic art but it looks fun. http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/260/6/0/marvel_comics_presents_color_by_j_scott_campbell-d1azwiv.jpg

I was just remarking on how those are artists whose covers will probably sell like hot cakes. Maybe replace Portacio with Jim Lee and Campbell with Finch if you want to truly art criminal it up, while making all the cash.
    Yeah, my first thought was pretty much SUCKERS.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    In WATXM 5, did it bug anyone else that the artist drew someone who looked absolutely nothing like Bobby Drake, and then the colorist couldn't even give him the right hair color? I mean, the guy's been drawn relatively consistently for how many years now? I'm all for artists putting their own personal style into their work, and putting a bit of a spin on characters, but when they're completely unrecognizable until someone addresses them by name, it's a little jarring.

Other than that, another really fun issue.

• Options
    Uh
    tumblr_l6b17gnQ5D1qbladco1_500.png
    Bobby has brown hair, dude.

and I don't think he looks totally off or anything. Looked like a young guy in a suit!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Sonofagun... For some reason, I had it in my head that he was more blonde.

But hair color aside, a _little_ consistency with Bachalo's version of Bobby (from just 2 issues ago in this same series) might've been nice. The height was completely different. The scruffiness was completely different - though granted, if you're going into a board room you might be forgiven for, ya know, shaving. And he looked all of 12.

Maybe that's my real problem here - Bobby is one of the original 5 X-Men, yet he's drawn like someone who couldn't possibly be old enough. It might be splitting hairs, but drawing him so young feels like a subtle undermining of the maturity that Aaron's tried to bring to the character each time he's handled him...

stratslinger on
  • Options
    He is meant to be around Peter Parker's age, which is mid-to-early 20s, I think he looked just fine.

and I mean Bachalo and Bradshaw have completely different styles. Their interpretations of characters are not going to look identical.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    He is blond in Ultimate X-Men

So maybe you were thinking of that

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    WatXM #5, that was an issue that really showed how 20 pages can hurt a book, as it cuts off the interesting Kitty story for a connecting four page new villain reveal that just stopped all the momentum of the book. It was something I expected out of a DCnU book, to be honest.

The whole Schism thing is what got me buying a few floppies a month again, and I was thinking the same thing - this is going to be really good as a trade.

• Options
    Honestly I am really impressed by how Aaron is picking up giant piles of plates in WatXM and never stopping or never dropping any of them; yeah, #5 pretty obviously set up a new arc, but it did so very well and really organically

with the exception of that last page, it was quite jam-packed

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Maybe I am kind of excited for WatXM to double ship.

But maaan, I am really starting to get burnt out on Uncanny. It's like there's a curse on that book. It's just.... really... mediocre. The first arc was really good, but it didn't seem to have any actual consequences, and now this tabula rasa arc is just kind of meh, and we'll be revisiting it during AvX according to the newest solicits.

• Options
    Yeah

I was picking up Uncanny because it's a flagship book, and because of Hope and Magik, and they have just been sidelined beyond the first arc.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    So this got skipped over, but it may be the coolest AvX cover that isn't Phoenix Danny Rand:

1328745759.jpg

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    Land actually does good art when he isn't tracing, though. There's some pictures i've seen from him that look really damn good.

Problem is, he tends to take the lazy route to art. IE: Tracing stuff from Maxim or Playboy.

• Options
    ...that's a Bachalo cover.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I was scratching my head about that one, too...

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Blankzilla wrote:
    He is meant to be around Peter Parker's age, which is mid-to-early 20s, I think he looked just fine.

Really? So how old is Cyclops supposed to be? I read him as mid-to-early 30's... Working backwards, if we assumed he was 16 at the very start of X-Men, that'd make Bobby 6 at that time?

Comicbook aging makes me dizzy.

stratslinger on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Scott is supposed to be like 35ish now. Bobby is the youngest of the originals, but that would still make him like 32. Granted he is supposed to be a tad immature so drawing him to be in his late 20's should be fair game.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Guys they are as old as they are

Like Grant Morrison said, Batman is 75. But he's not real, so he's as old as Batman.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Guys they are as old as they are

Like Grant Morrison said, Batman is 75. But he's not real, so he's as old as Batman.

So, are Batman years like Dog years? X number of Batman years = 1 real year?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    yeah, I generally like Bradshaw's art, but he is terrible at drawing people older than sixteen

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    http://marvel.com/news/story/18095/avx_comes_to_avengers_academy

Oh boy?

I think I'll wait till the issues actually come out before I fully judge this but the cover isn't helping things at all.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Whoa there

that is

huh

I sincerely hope that is just a dramatized cover

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I suspect it is

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    “X-23 will be in the spotlight,” asserts Gage. “She has a foot in each camp, so the war between the Avengers and the X-Men is naturally going to affect her more than anyone. She joined Avengers Academy in part because she wanted [nothing] of the Wolverine/Cyclops schism. Now she’s caught directly in the middle of another war, and there is no avoiding making the choice this time around.

Sounds like X-23 and Wolverine are in similar places during AvX. There's something about that parallel that I kind of like.

• Options
    I'm rereading Grant Morrison's New X-Men, since it seems to be having a big influence on Wolverine and the X-Men. Also because it's the best X-Men run ever, and I probably re-read it once a year. And that panel in the last trade where Cassandra Nova breaks the 4th Wall creeps the holy crap out of me. Every damn time.

Anyways... are Phoenix Endsong and Warsong worth picking up? I know Pak wrote them, and not Morrison, but I don't think I've read the whole stories ever. And with Phoenix coming back and all, I thought I might.

• Options
    Yeah Cassandra Nova doing that creeps me the fuck out as well

• Options
    Jason Aaron has stated he's a huge Grant Morrison fan and you can pretty much tell with some of his stories.

• Options
    That's because Jason Aaron has good taste

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    endsong is good

warsong is bad

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Hickman is an even more "Grant Morrison" than Aaron but I don't remember reading anything where Hickman mentions him though.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I myself am reading through New X-Men at the moment and so I will take this excuse to share my reflections on it.

I still think the concept/origin of Cassandra Nova is one of the most ridiculous, contrived supervillain backstories I've ever heard. Setting that aside, she's a good villain, at least in the sense of being truly evil and repulsive and terrifying and presenting a credible threat to the heroes. And I've never for a moment been bored while reading, there is truly some exciting, dramatic, edge-of-your-seat, page-turning stuff in here.

But it's just not any fun.

Don't get me wrong, there's some clever dialog, some genuinely amusing moments, a couple I've actually laughed out loud at in fact. And I'm not one who needs his comics to be bright and shiny and full of light-hearted adventuring all the time (though those are qualities I have begun to appreciate more and more recently). I have stuff like 100 Bullets and The Death of Captain America on my shelf.

It's just...well, let's put it this way - the hype text on the back of the New X-Men Ultimate Collection trades bears the headline:

SIXTEEN MILLION MUTANTS DEAD - AND THAT WAS JUST THE BEGINNING!

And that's more insightful than I think they perhaps meant it to be. It sounds like a joke to say, "Yeah, the run starts with a near-genocide...and then later comes the heavy stuff," but it seems like a pretty accurate summary. It's intelligent (beef with Cassandra Nova's origin aside), it's well-written, it's exciting, and I'm always entertained reading it. I'm just almost never happy reading it. I can set down the book and walk away shocked or impressed, but I don't walk away smiling.

I guess I'll probably finish reading the three Ultimate Collection trades I have (which I guess is the whole run, or almost?). But I'm really not sure whether I'll keep them. I should mention that I don't entirely mean to single out New X-Men in what I'm saying, because this basically describes how I've feel about almost every X-Men book I've ever read (which granted is not many) with the exception of First Class, to a greater or lesser extent. I want to like the X-Men, I want to badly, and I felt deficient because I had read so relatively little X-material, which is why I picked up the Morrison trades to begin with. But maybe it's just not for me.

Gaslight on