As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PLEASE RSVP] 2012 PAX East D&D Fancy Dinner!

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Smrtnik wrote:
    What day would this be? I got my PAX ticket, and am attending solo so it would be neat to get to know more people.

it will be friday evening (the 6th). the exact time and place are as yet undecided, but it will likely be in a downtown or cambridge restaurant, and be anywhere from $30-50/hd for food. we should have a place and time and price locked up before month's end.

• RancorousRancorous Registered User regular
    I know the mayor of Boston, can I come to your fancy dinner?

Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!
    *monocle pops*

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Your sig totally looks like someone pinching a vagina in thumbnail form by the way.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    @Irond Will

so i called abigail's (unsure of whether you'd remembered to contact them) and they already had your request for information down. so whenever they get back to you let me know so we can toss up a vote (or you and me can autocratically decide)

• SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    The missus and I were looking forward to a fancy dinner with you classy folks, but alas, will not be able to attend PAX this year due to conflicts of the new baby girl variety.

Enjoy!

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Organichu wrote:
    @Irond Will

so i called abigail's (unsure of whether you'd remembered to contact them) and they already had your request for information down. so whenever they get back to you let me know so we can toss up a vote (or you and me can autocratically decide)

I will do so. The fellow I talked to said that he expected it wouldn't be a problem to set aside the space for our party. I wasn't sure of what the size would be, so I told him probably between 30 and 40, though I'd have better numbers as it got closer. The only thing that sounded iffy was that he either wanted us to come early (like 6-6:30) or later (like 8-8:30), since their dinner rush was in-between, but that we'd be welcome to hit the bar before we were seated (and of course after the meal).

Anyways, apparently planning an event months in advance was just too far for them to really focus on (they have a rotating menu, etc), but it sounded like they were happy to accommodate us.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Spackler wrote:
    The missus and I were looking forward to a fancy dinner with you classy folks, but alas, will not be able to attend PAX this year due to conflicts of the new baby girl variety.

Enjoy!

We'll be sorry not to see you this year, but many congratulations to you both!

Please don't consider "Bayonetta" for a name. Or really, anything-chan.

Wqdwp8l.png
    Irond Will wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    @Irond Will

I will do so. The fellow I talked to said that he expected it wouldn't be a problem to set aside the space for our party. I wasn't sure of what the size would be, so I told him probably between 30 and 40, though I'd have better numbers as it got closer. The only thing that sounded iffy was that he either wanted us to come early (like 6-6:30) or later (like 8-8:30), since their dinner rush was in-between, but that we'd be welcome to hit the bar before we were seated (and of course after the meal).

Anyways, apparently planning an event months in advance was just too far for them to really focus on (they have a rotating menu, etc), but it sounded like they were happy to accommodate us.

gotcha. i'd be very glad to try a new place, so since you say it's good, if it's within everyone's price range i'd probably be inclined to lean towards them.

• msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    I heard Bayonetta is a badass

• SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote:
    Spackler wrote:

Enjoy!

We'll be sorry not to see you this year, but many congratulations to you both!

Please don't consider "Bayonetta" for a name. Or really, anything-chan.
    So far we're leaning toward Trudence.
    no, not really
    Trudence-chan

Robos, are you a vegetarian or a vegan? Is anyone a vegan?

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Robos, are you a vegetarian or a vegan? Is anyone a vegan?

I generally don't eat dairy, but I'm willing to do so when I'm eating out since that tends to make things easier.

And I'm fine with eggs.

Noted dogg.

I am going ahead with the Marliave I think. I haven't sent over CC information to cement our reservation but I'm treating it like that's where we're going unless Will's place contacts him very soon and they sound awesome and better.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44935955/PrivateEvents2011sept.pdf

this is the menu which needs to be condensed into two appetizers, three entrees, and two desserts

some of the dishes (especially those using less pedestrian foodstuffs) have price supplements, so note that if the final menu has wellington, people who order it will be charged $52 instead of $42.

people are welcome to shoot out thoughts and ideas on the menu, but i'm sure some desires will conflict so i am going to try to be fair, consider any and all advice, then disregard it, do a lot of heroin, and pick the final items randomly using a dowsing rod.

also i asked the hostess what time is best for them that night (she hasn't gotten back to me)

i figure some of y'all might want to do one of those concerts or other pax things that last late

so i indicated that we probably won't mind being seated late in the evening so long as we have time to enjoy the bar after eating

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Apps
    Beef Carpaccio
    Ravioli

Entrees
    Wellington (+10)
    Rabbit (+5)
    Scallops (+5)

Zerts
    Chocolate cake
    Pudding

These are my demands.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Risotto was good last year as the vegetarian entree, and it's something that non-veggie types can eat as well.

Yeah I love Abigails, but they've been pretty flaky about getting back to me or coordinating anything. The Marliave was good about it last year and we had a good time I thought.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'd say Steak, Rabbit, Risotto for the non-carnivores

Mussels and either Mac and Cheese or Ravioli for the app

/2 cents

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    App - Beets, Mussels
    Entree - Rabbit (+5), Risotto, Steak
    Dessert - Pudding and Cake

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Wellington please

I think I am definitely gonna include Wellington because a lot of people last year loved it and now people still want it despite the supplement. And since Robos gave me a HJ under the table last year and every other entree involves murder, the risotto's in.

So, we need two more appetizers, one more entree (seafood, maybe?) and the two desserts.

Oh also I am RSVPing

One chair for me, one chair for my rad sunglasses

So It Goes wrote:
    Oh also I am RSVPing

One chair for me, one chair for my rad sunglasses

you were literally the first person to rsvp months ago you butt!

(but on some real talk are you bringing a guest or are your sunglasses staying on you)

At this time I do not anticipate a guest no

Beets or Mixed Greens would be my app choice, and I will give my dessert to the PA'er who is purest of heart.

oh also since we have decided on a place i do have to send over some credit card info

i am not sure exactly how this is done, now

i am pretty sure it's just on record in case we no-show... i don't believe there's a preemptive hold or anything. will would know for sure since he did this last year.

and i don't know how to get your info to the lady. i'm assuming whichever responsible, adult patron volunteers their CC is not gonna want it to go through my grubby paws as an intermediary so like

should i give the event coordinator the person's email?

@irond will @premier kakos

or like, whoever else would be capable of doing it

I vote for beets and mac n cheese

Organichu wrote:
    i'm gonna be straight up

i have never eaten a beet

I think that you might enjoy it! We shall see!

i'm gonna be straight up

i have never eaten a beet

edited February 2012
    i think i am gonna go with beets for one of the apps (and i figure dessert will be cake for the people who are still hungry, then probably the pudding.)

so i'm basically looking for one more appetizer and one more entree.

Organichu on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If I do not ingest raw meat that night in the form of carpaccio I will destroy something

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Organichu wrote:
    oh also since we have decided on a place i do have to send over some credit card info

i am not sure exactly how this is done, now

i am pretty sure it's just on record in case we no-show... i don't believe there's a preemptive hold or anything. will would know for sure since he did this last year.

and i don't know how to get your info to the lady. i'm assuming whichever responsible, adult patron volunteers their CC is not gonna want it to go through my grubby paws as an intermediary so like

should i give the event coordinator the person's email?

@irond will @premier kakos

or like, whoever else would be capable of doing it

yeah go ahead and give her my email address. i'll put up.

Wqdwp8l.png
    you might want to go out and try a beet before you elect for them. beets are oddly controversial with people.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    If one of the appetizer is going to be the beets, I'd suggest the other be something that's really accessible for people. I know a lot of people (including myself) don't like beets, so the other app should be something most people will like.

Like I was going to vote for the carpaccio, but I think the Mac and Cheese might be a better option.

vRyue2p.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So It Goes wrote:
    At this time I do not anticipate a guest no

Instead, you'll just find someone you like at dinner and <puts on Sig's sunglasses>
    <picture of sig kicking kakos through the window that I'm too lazy to go find>
    hit that

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    So, this is Easter weekend in April, right?

I clearly don't have a PAX pass, but I'm definitely interested in hangouts... what's the hotel situation for those attending the event/going for just the dinner, etc? I can basically fly anywhere in the contental NA (maybe excluding Mexico) for free or damned-near free, and I would love to see this crew IRL. (Also, that rabbit sounds delicious!)

For example, Chu!--what have you sorted out for stays?

LaOs wrote:
    So, this is Easter weekend in April, right?

I clearly don't have a PAX pass, but I'm definitely interested in hangouts... what's the hotel situation for those attending the event/going for just the dinner, etc? I can basically fly anywhere in the contental NA (maybe excluding Mexico) for free or damned-near free, and I would love to see this crew IRL. (Also, that rabbit sounds delicious!)

For example, Chu!--what have you sorted out for stays?

if you decide to fly out, i wouldn't worry too much about a pass. a bunch of people aren't in love with the con in general- if you were to make it out you're more than welcome to use my pass at least one of the days to take a look around.

the hotel situation is pretty varied. some people are more adult and are coming in and staying in their own room or with a spouse... most of us are just sort of randomly cramming a bunch of people into hotel rooms. i'm rooming with, i think, kakos, taranis, and a g&t dude (that_guy). i'm not sure of anyone else's rooming situation.

i'd make a post in chat mentioning which nights you plan on staying and i'd be surprised if someone doesn't invite you to crash in their room for a slice of the end-cost. no one really loves paying full price for a hotel room. if that doesn't work you can also post in the designated thread in the pax forum.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I'm a single adult dude, but was more just wondering if everyone had sort of filled up their rooms (and where is everyone staying, anyway??) and who was doing the whole Con + D&D hangout thing, and how many were just hanging out, and so on. Full price is definitely lame, but if need be, I'm avoiding the flight costs, so the room wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'll keep an eye on things here and see how my other April plans pan out and maybe I'll just move things to the Easter weekend. I've always wanted a chance to chill with the D&D crew and this is one of the best opportunities (and I can actually make it work, it seems), so yea... thanks! :P

ah, cool.

well, the hotel i'm in is the westin waterfront. it's physically connected to the convention center. different people are in different locations, but the majority of people are going to be in those few hotels around the con (the westin waterfront, the renaissance boston waterfront, the seaport, etc) or ones actually in downtown boston (boston harbor hotel, the intercontinental, the colonnade, etc)

some people seeking savings are going a little further out to like, holiday inns in cambridge or just south of the city

but for the most part people aren't like, picking a hotel 'for' chat people

just pick a person or two you're friendly with (a few days before the con) and exchange phone numbers and you should be able to keep up with the chat group. it's pretty loose and organic.