As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] 1st Annual PAX Cigar Smoker: The Cult of the Leaf - Friday night at 2 AM!

KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
Welcome to the First Annual PAX East Cigar Smoker, a.k.a., the Cult of the Leaf. This is a gathering to smoke pipes, cigars, and other tobacco products, and meet fellow gamers who enjoy the tobacco leaf. The event is purely informal, and it is recommended that everyone bring his or her own supplies (but sharing is always encouraged if you bring extra stuff).

Time: 2 AM, immediately following the Friday concerts. Weather seems to be expected to be comparable between Friday and Saturday, and I had said that, all things being equal, we'd go with Friday. I only anticipate a change if it turns out to rain then (currently the chance of precipitation is listed as 0%). If a sudden and unexpected shift in the weather does force a postponement, I will announce it on Twitter at @KoalaBro2 with the hashtag #PAXCigars.

Location: Under the Media Tower, across the street from the convention center (essentially, between the convention center and the Westin). I have made a specially cropped map that should just fit within the forum image rules:
CigarMap.jpg
Also, here's a picture of the Media Tower and the area we'll be hanging out around the base. Sadly, it does break the forum image width rules, so I'm linking it:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6170094023_2b3eee79c3_b.jpg

Weather preparation: As noted, weather is expected to be clear of precipitation. Friday's high is projected to be 55, low of 35. The daily low usually occurs around 6-7 AM, meaning that at 2 AM, we're likely to see something in the low 40s. I strongly recommend overdressing for the weather. Standing around, smoking cigars for upwards of half an hour is likely to be a lot chillier than dashing from the bus into the convention center, and being cold will substantially interfere with your enjoyment of the event. Whatever you would normally wear, add an extra layer. You'll be happy you did. If you're too warm, you can always unzip your coat. Last year, the BCEC had a very reasonable coat check (couple bucks, they'd hold as much stuff as you want, and lines moved efficiently even on Sunday when everyone was bringing their luggage from their hotels). I haven't heard any official word on whether the coat checks will be there this year, but I'm staying at the Westin, so if the coat checks don't exist, hit me up on Twitter and we can stash coats in my room if need be (as long as you're okay with the fact that you won't be able to get at your coat until 2 AM).

Disclaimers: Smoking age in the US is 18. Drinking alcohol on the streets is illegal for all ages. The importation of Cuban cigars into the United States is illegal in all quantities, no matter how small. While you're welcome to take whatever personal risks you like, methods of circumventing the law should not be discussed on this forum.

That's it, there should be no need for any more status updates on this lead post (again, barring a freak storm). See you Friday night!

3/1 status update:
Hi folks,

To summarize the current status of this: we plan to have a gathering to smoke cigars, pipes, and other tobacco products on Friday night/Saturday morning, at 2 AM after the concerts get out, outside the BCEC. This is a purely informal gathering of people who enjoy smoking cigars and such, and would like to meet other gamers who also enjoy the tobacco leaf. People should plan to bring their own cigars (or whatever), but some kind souls may also bring extras.

Logistics: We'll pick an exact corner or whatever when the event gets closer (I'll post a map with an X on it so people know where to go). This is all weather permitting, of course, so the plan may be subject to change depending on what the weather report turns out to be. We'll confirm the plans on Monday, April 2nd, and at that point the details will be official, unless a freak change in the weather forces a last minute change (which I will announce via Twitter with @KoalaBro2 and people may use the hashtag #PAXCigars).

Warnings: First, even if the weather cooperates, it is likely to be at least slightly chilly. Plan to overdress for the weather, because what may be comfortable to walk from the cab to the convention center will not be comfortable for standing around for an hour smoking cigars. The BCEC had inexpensive coat checks last year, which I advise you to make use of. Second, drinking alcohol in public is illegal in Boston. Also, importation of Cuban cigars into the United States is illegal, even in small quantities for personal consumption. Personally, I don't care what you do, but please do not discuss methods of circumventing the law in this thread.

I've explored hosting the event at local cigar bars, but they have unfortunately been either too expensive or totally non-responsive to my requests for information. So we're pretty much stuck with doing this either out of doors, or not at all. The next update to this thread will probably not be until a week or two before PAX, but it is still happening. There's just not a lot of planning that needs to be done :)
Original post:
So just a random thought I had while putting together my trading card (which, for the second year in a row, has a picture of me smoking a cigar): would anyone be interested in a cigar gathering? I haven't thought through the details of this yet, except to confirm that, of course, smoking is banned indoors in Boston, including in all hotel rooms. Maybe this is something we'd want to do in the afternoon/evening, maybe it's something to do at 2 AM while folks wait for the cab line to clear out, maybe it's a good Thursday night event. I really don't know, I'm just curious to gauge potential interest, and if there is interest, ideas about when/where to conduct such an event.

If there's newbies, I'd certainly be up for bringing a box of mini-cigars (cigarillos) to pass around, but I'd envision this as the sort of event where most people would bring their own. Pipe smokers would certainly be welcome, although since we'll be outdoors, my own experience (as a long-time smoker of both) is that you'll be happier with the convenience of a cigar. Cigarette smokers would certainly also be welcome, but since a cigarette only takes a minute or two to smoke, I'm only interested in organizing this if we have at least a couple cigar/pipe smokers who are in for the full half-hour or so it takes to smoke one of those.

So, what say you? Have we any members of the "brotherhood of the leaf?"

KoalaBro2 on

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    Ahem... brotherhood?? o_O

This sister travels with a herfidor for such occasions. But only if it's gender-inclusive and not an awkward sausagefest.

I have a surplus of unloved cigarillos that could be shared as well.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    But of course, sincerest apologies, I meant it more in the gender-neutral "liberté, égalité, fraternité" sense. Plus, "brother-and-sisterhood of the leaf" is pretty awkward. A fair point though, I'll avoid use of the term in the future. Maybe "cult of the leaf?" Or is that just too creepy?

• Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    I am definitely in. I'm looking at my Ashtons as I type this.

"The PA Cigar Club" is dignified and simple. Mybe that could be the group name?

• Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    Just a heads up there are places in Boston and the area where you can still smoke cigars indoors.

Churchill's Lounge, Stanza Sigari, and Cigar Masters.

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    I like this idea! I would absolutely bring up some cigarillos and join a 2am smoker! Sounds fun!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    But of course, sincerest apologies, I meant it more in the gender-neutral "liberté, égalité, fraternité" sense. Plus, "brother-and-sisterhood of the leaf" is pretty awkward. A fair point though, I'll avoid use of the term in the future. Maybe "cult of the leaf?" Or is that just too creepy?

I'm down regardless of what it's called, but I always chafe at the portrayal that cigars are for boys. ;)

I could go for a 2AM meetup or something formal in one of the lounges mentioned, as long as we're close to the BCEC.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Girl here, down for this as well. Never smoked a cigar before, though I've plenty of experience smoking non-cigar substances.

However, I'll only go if it's called Cult of the Leaf. And I get to wear a fedora.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I will be interested in this :D

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • agqagq Registered User regular
    this sounds amazing.

edited February 2012
    Girl here, down for this as well. Never smoked a cigar before, though I've plenty of experience smoking non-cigar substances.

However, I'll only go if it's called Cult of the Leaf. And I get to wear a fedora.

Well, if it's conditional on "Cult of the Leaf" and the ability to wear a fedora, then I hereby declare the event to be named the Cult of the Leaf, and fedoras are optional.

I definitely appreciate Certain Shade cluing us into the local Boston smoking spots. However, this year, given a) the abnormally warm winter, which we hope will persist, and b) how late in the year PAX is occurring, I'm inclined toward an outdoor event this year. Once we know each other, we can talk next year about doing a more formal indoor event at one of these downtown venues. So far, the strongest push seems to be for a 2 AM event, and 2 AM on Saturday seems better than 2 AM Friday. But I'm open to hearing if we have a push for other options over the next few weeks.

KoalaBro2 on
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    adastra wrote:

Are they filtered? I miss filtered cigarillos so damned bad.

Also, I'd love to join the crowd but alas, I only truly enjoy Backwoods cigars.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I've certainly been known to enjoy a good cigar on occasion, as does the friend I've got coming in from out of town for PAX. Consider us interested . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    Never smoked, but I've always entertained the thought of a Hannibal-esque moment..

"I love it when PAX comes together"

Count me as "interested" thus far.

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• handmanhandman Registered User new member
    I enjoy the occasional cigar, count me as one of the "interested".

KoalaBro2 wrote:

Well, if it's conditional on "Cult of the Leaf" and the ability to wear a fedora, then I hereby declare the event to be named the Cult of the Leaf, and fedoras are optional.

I definitely appreciate Certain Shade cluing us into the local Boston smoking spots. However, this year, given a) the abnormally warm winter, which we hope will persist, and b) how late in the year PAX is occurring, I'm inclined toward an outdoor event this year. Once we know each other, we can talk next year about doing a more formal indoor event at one of these downtown venues. So far, the strongest push seems to be for a 2 AM event, and 2 AM on Saturday seems better than 2 AM Friday. But I'm open to hearing if we have a push for other options over the next few weeks.

No problemo, always be prepared in New England. We've gotten plenty of snow in April before. Also cigar bars are a good place to learn a bit about cigars if you've never partaken in them before.

Here's hoping it holds out, and I will definitely be down with this. I can bring a few choice items to share with everyone. (Of age you silly kids!)

adastra wrote:

Are they filtered? I miss filtered cigarillos so damned bad.

Also, I'd love to join the crowd but alas, I only truly enjoy Backwoods cigars.

I have some backwoods for ya! No seriously, smoke these...they get ignored most of the time.

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    I'm down. Don't smoke more than a handful of cigars a year (Usually special occasions, and when the back porch is just too gorgeous to not) but PAX is a special enough occasion to warrant one.

I've never smoked a Backwoods... Done a cuban, though!

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • ButterySaltButterySalt Registered User regular
    As far as I know, there are three cigar bars/lounges in Boston (in no particular order):
    1. Stanza dei Sigari http://www.yelp.com/biz/stanza-dei-sigari-boston
    2. Chuchill's Lounge http://www.yelp.com/biz/churchills-lounge-boston
    3. Cigar Masters http://www.yelp.com/biz/cigar-masters-boston

In order of distance to the BCEC (from checking the map, but without looking them up on Google Maps): (1) Churchill's is in Quicy Market, (2) Stanza dei Sigari is located in the North End, and (3) Cigar Masters is in Back Bay.

I've been to Stanza and Chuchill's, and they have notably different vibes. Churchill's is more laid back and Stanza's a bit louder and more crowded. It's worth noting that Stanza has a full bar, but Churchill's is beer/wine only. I can't say anything about Cigar Masters, as I haven't been there (but a yelp link is above).

Churchill's is my favorite spot -- it's relaxed and low key. You can hang out on work leather couches and chairs and relax. Stanza's fine too, but I prefer Churchill's.

I likely won't be able to join you (my wife isn't a cigar person), but I wanted to share my knowledge.

Kiashien wrote:
    I'm down. Don't smoke more than a handful of cigars a year (Usually special occasions, and when the back porch is just too gorgeous to not) but PAX is a special enough occasion to warrant one.

I've never smoked a Backwoods... Done a cuban, though!

Backwoods are relatively cheap loose packed cigars. If you haven't had them before there is a good chance you'll get a bit o leaf stuck on your face. They look like a decent size but they burn fast. Taste is "eh" but I would rather smoke backwoods than Phillie blunts.

• JohnnyciscoJohnnycisco PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    i'm most definitely in!! please keep me informed

Johnnycisco on
    twitter.com/johnnycisco52
    Facebook.com/johnnycisco
    GT: johnnycisco52
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    When I was in Seattle for Prime I left my hotel room at like 2-3am to see about finding additional mixers. I'm pretty sure I came across a gathering of this nature ( I recall people with pipes, one of which knew who I was, though I can't recall who they were ). It was very surreal and I approved.

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    Keep in mind that not all smokers will be of age. Alas, us silly Canadians are used to drinking at a much younger age and will be disappointed when attempting to get into a bar.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Keep in mind that not all smokers will be of age. Alas, us silly Canadians are used to drinking at a much younger age and will be disappointed when attempting to get into a bar.

Indeed, part of why I'm thinking it's best to try this out as an outdoor event our first year (I checked the websites of those smoking lounges and confirmed that they are 21+). I will definitely make sure we have an indoor back-up plan if the weather doesn't cooperate, but I think first choice is going to be Saturday night/Sunday morning, 2 AM, in front of the BCEC, a respectful distance away from the cab line.

Also, if any of you are doing trading cards, I just put together a leaf badge. I'll post it to the Trading Card thread unless anyone hates the design.
    Leaf%20badge.png

• The AfromanThe Afroman Registered User regular
    This sounds like a great idea. Living in Syracuse (moved from Austin) has put me in a place with little to NO cigar smokers. I would love a moment of Stogie burning with fellow gamers.

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Google+//http://gplus.to/TheAfroman
  • Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    Straight Dougin' It.

So have we decided, will this be happening? Also, if it's not too much to ask if we could plan it out in advance (as I won't have twitter in your silly country!).

So have we decided, will this be happening? Also, if it's not too much to ask if we could plan it out in advance (as I won't have twitter in your silly country!).

Oh, I think it is definitely clear that there is enough support for this to happen. We will also definitely have advance plans, details forthcoming. However, weather can always interfere, so we will do our best to have clear contingency plans that you can rely on. I expect that we should be able to have about 99% reliability on our plans by the Tuesday before (barring a massive deterioration in the weather report), is that going to be early enough for you before you come to the States?

KoalaBro2 wrote:

Oh, I think it is definitely clear that there is enough support for this to happen. We will also definitely have advance plans, details forthcoming. However, weather can always interfere, so we will do our best to have clear contingency plans that you can rely on. I expect that we should be able to have about 99% reliability on our plans by the Tuesday before (barring a massive deterioration in the weather report), is that going to be early enough for you before you come to the States?

Absolutely. I didn't mean to sound needy, I mean we've still got like 2 months to go. I just didn't want to show up on the day of with a pack of Backwoods and some cigarillos for sharing and be left out while you guys have monocles and stoagies somewhere else. :P

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I am very, very tempted in this...so put me down as a 'tentatively interested'.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    FYI, I'm planning to be a delivery channel for forumer coins, and this is one of my listed "Will be at" events to deliver to- so if you get a forum challenge coin, I'm planning to hand them out then- see the thread on coins for details, though :)

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    KoalaBro2 wrote:

Absolutely. I didn't mean to sound needy, I mean we've still got like 2 months to go. I just didn't want to show up on the day of with a pack of Backwoods and some cigarillos for sharing and be left out while you guys have monocles and stoagies somewhere else. :P

Oh good sir. Monocles will be required. #isaygoodday

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Anyone know if we're getting plastic capsules with the coins this year, like we did last year? If so, monocles for everyone!

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    No monacle for me, it'll clash with my fedora.

No But seriously - are we really thinking about doing this at 2 AM? I ask because I am old and decrepit, and typically fall asleep after my early-bird dinner at Denny's.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    I'm not wedded to any particular time yet, but so far there seems to be the most interest in 2 AM. Obviously, a 2 AM event cannot possibly conflict with any panels or anything, so it's got that going for it. Also, for anyone who is staying far away from the convention center, it gives you something to do while you wait for the cab line to clear out a bit.

However, I'm certainly sensitive to sleep needs as well. If we have more people who want to do it during the day, I'll plan accordingly. So make your preferred time known, if you haven't already!

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Or, say, have multiple meetups - one for early birds, one for night owls. . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    once pax gets there event schedule up you can pick a time during the day (if there will be any free time).it would also help the people who are going in partys and dont wana stand around at 2am waiting for someone to finish a cigar.cant rush smokin a cigar ya know.

First off, with PAX, there's no such thing as a "free time." There's always at least one, usually half a dozen, events going on simultaneously and continuously from the time PAX opens to the time it closes. Yes, if we do it during the day, we will definitely wait on naming a time until the schedule goes up to avoid some of the BIG events (like the Make a Strip panel), but no matter when we do it, if it's before 2 AM, there will be events going on. So part of the question is whether we're likely to lose more people due to panel conflicts, or due to the need for sleep. We can wait until the schedule goes up to commit ourselves completely, but usually the schedule goes up late (like a week or two before), so I want to at least get a sense of which way the crowd is leaning in advance.

Multiple events would be possible, but personally I don't want to divide my time that many ways. PAX, after all, is about gaming, not cigar smoking (and I'm usually a one-per-week-max type of guy anyway). So I'll take whatever option seems to have the most support, do my best to craft an event that is likely to work for the largest number of people, and leave it at that. If someone else wants to pick up the other option and run with it, that's cool, but at least for the first year, I think it makes more sense to just try to do one event rather than dividing our forces. If we get a great turnout to the inaugural event, then that's fantastic, and next year we can talk about doing a couple, even one every day.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ill likely only be able to make it after PAX closes... since there's PAX duties and whatnot.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    Well as a con go-er. This is my first PAX, but i know that events run non-stop. But you have to know that you can't go to everything. Also there should be some down time. a time where you just want to chit chat and mingle with some nationwide games. I thing this is a good time. 2am MIGHT be a bit too late. Bit if it;s the only time.. so be it! I don;t know how late the indoor cigar places stay open.. weather permitting but i wouldn't mind a nice table and maybe a bottle of scotch.. while we talk gaming war stories.

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Any place that serves scotch will be closed at 2 am due to liquor laws. :)