As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Transformers Movie Thread

aquabataquabat Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So theres a new Transformers movie coming out. So far the character designs are a bit controversial - taking a few liberties with the look and design and updating them for the 90's. I dont have a problem with it, but I thought we could draw out some discussion and share some memories and excitement and stuff

First off we have a Decepticon cop car and - controversially - Bumblebee is now a Camaro. I dont really have a problem with that.

8127_super.jpg

8127_tm.jpg

Then, a very sleepy transformed Bumblebee

bumble.jpg

And last but not least, apparently we have Optimus Prime as a truck.

RealOptimusTruck.jpg

I'd love if it was his original design but hey, he's a truck and he'll transform and as long as he's voiced by Peter Cullen I'll be a happy geek.

aquabat on

• Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I am so excited for this film. If only it weren't a year away.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    ROBOTS IN DISGUISE MOTHAFUCKERS!

I cannot fucking WAIT.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • IloroKamouIloroKamou Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Hearing the entire theaters reaction when the logo popped up after all that Mars bullshit was awesome. There was no way to see that coming.

IloroKamou on
    "There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Apparently the cop car has "To punish and enslave" on it

aquabat on
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I really can not wait.
    Also, I hope this situation comes up in the movie:
    http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/stilltemporary/PBF077ADDisassemble.jpg

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    This movie has the easiest sucess formula, ever.
    -Get the names right
    -Get the sides right
    -Have cars transform to robots
    -Have said robots fuck some shit up
    And then its the greatest thing ever.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
    edited July 2006
    Yeah but look at King Kong

- Giant Monkey
    - Giant Monkey fights dinosaurs
    - Giant bugs eat people
    - Giant Monkey fucks up New York

Yet Peter Jackson made it boring!*

*opinion only

aquabat on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:

- Giant Monkey
    - Giant bugs eat people

*opinion only

Eat a King Kong sized dick

Fencingsax on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

- Giant Monkey
    - Giant bugs eat people

*opinion only

Would this be a dick the size of King Kong, or a dick the size of King Kong's dick?

Garthor on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Garthor wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

- Giant Monkey
    - Giant bugs eat people

*opinion only

Would this be a dick the size of King Kong, or a dick the size of King Kong's dick?

A question for the ages.

Fencingsax on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:

- Giant Monkey
    - Giant bugs eat people

*opinion only

Only because he made it three hours long. If you cut out all the bullshit character development, it is like 90 minutes of awesome monkey action.

yakul on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    [spoiler:d523b3931d] OPTIMUS DIES![/spoiler:d523b3931d]

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited July 2006
    DodgeBlan wrote:
    [spoiler:a1cc76bcdc] OPTIMUS DIES![/spoiler:a1cc76bcdc]

No! Not again!

aquabat on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    DodgeBlan wrote:
    [spoiler:7eeb8813b1] OPTIMUS DIES![/spoiler:7eeb8813b1]

No! Not again!
    I'd probably cry all over again :cry:

I don't know if I like the fire on Optimus :|

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    IloroKamou wrote:
    Hearing the entire theaters reaction when the logo popped up after all that Mars bullshit was awesome. There was no way to see that coming.
    Except that I knew exactly what it was because of all the talk of "They are making it look like they came from mars."
    Therefore, your statement of "No way to see it coming" only applies to people completely ignorant of any news of this movie.
    Not meant to be an insult, just saying that you obviously didn't know all you could about the movie.

Kusuguttai on
    edited July 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    IloroKamou wrote:
    Except that I knew exactly what it was because of all the talk of "They are making it look like they came from mars."
    Therefore, your statement of "No way to see it coming" only applies to people completely ignorant of any news of this movie.
    Not meant to be an insult, just saying that you obviously didn't know all you could about the movie.

I think he meant that the teaser was overtly Transformers until the logo came up at the end.

aquabat on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    One thing they need to get right is the Transformer falling down noise. Whenever transformers fell down in the cartoon I was like "Oooohhh, that musta hurt."

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    8127_super.jpg
    8127_tm.jpg
    "To punish and enslave"

[spoiler:f90ccd2bb5]all my dicks are cumming[/spoiler:f90ccd2bb5]

Edit: That is so shit hot I can't even stand it.

Michael Bay don't you fuck this up for me. Don't you fucking do it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Would it have killed them to get the right kind of truck for Prime? Oh well, it could be worse.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    8127_tm.jpg

The relentless, power-hungry tyrants...have a guy who turns into a symbol of law and order.

What does that say about the film's potential philosophies?

Shadowen on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    There's an SE++ vibe in here.

Also, in regards to the movie, that trailer threw me for a loop. Good work from the people behind it.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • The_Infernal_MachineThe_Infernal_Machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Am I the only person who thinks this should have remained a cartoon?\

The concept of this movie is far too silly to be an actual, live-action movie.

Please, not in the face!

The_Infernal_Machine on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Am I the only person who thinks this should have remained a cartoon?\

The concept of this movie is far too silly to be an actual, live-action movie.

Please, not in the face!

No, I tend to agree with you. I still find the concept of a live-action movie based on this franchise to be completely idiotic.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited July 2006
    Or the best movie in the entire universe? Most likely.

aquabat on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm hopeful, but then that's because I've talked to Bay personally and he seemed really concerned about staying true to the spirit of the original cartoon.

Hacksaw on
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    wow, i had no idea about this. but live action transformers? as long as they only fuck it up half way it will still be... well i can't even think of the words...

:shock:

chuck steak on
  • Saiyan ChampionSaiyan Champion Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    DodgeBlan wrote:
    One thing they need to get right is the Transformer falling down noise. Whenever transformers fell down in the cartoon I was like "Oooohhh, that musta hurt."

You mean the really dull sounding "Pung" and "Clunk" sounds? Yes. Also, it is mandatory that it has Cullen, Welker and the proper transforming sound. None of this Armada transforming sound crap.[/i]

Saiyan Champion on
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    Or the best movie in the entire universe? Most likely.
    I'm quite looking forward to it yes; but of course it won't beat the original movie.

[spoiler:70124ae678]YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH... YOU'VE GOT THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler:70124ae678]

They should get Stan Bush back.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Well, if they can't get Stan Bush back, they should DEFINITELY re-use the Transformers Theme as performed by Lion.

There were 4 possibilities for this film:

Use the original designs, original everything, but make it live action, and make it a decently written movie.

Use the original designs, original everything, but make it live action, and make it a really badly written movie.

Use new designs, updated transformers and the like, and make it a decently written movie.

Use new designs, updated transformers and the like, and make it a really badly written movie.

The first 3 would literally be fine for me. The last one would ruin 2007.

Centipeed on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I must have watched the movie a hundred times when I was a kid. I think I've still got all the dialogue memorised.

But the best scene would be:

"Megatron must be stopped... no matter the cost..."
    *cue cheesy 80's rock ballad "you've got the touch"*

And Optimus then proceeds to kick the ass of the decepticon invading force by himself and in pure style. I will ALWAYS remember that scene, and if Michael Bay can give us a scene as awesome as that I would weep tears of joy like a little girl.

In fact, this thread DEMANDS something to illustrate the point:
    SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SEE THE ANIMATED MOVIE!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1164689046252207811&q=transformers
    If they don't keep the sound of Optimus' blaster, I am going to seriously hurt their sound guy.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05R3GMyL91o&mode=related&search=transformers%20movie
    Hot Rod Vs. The giant squid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4GaPcLgOs&mode=related&search=transformers%20movie
    Unicron's transformation

subedii on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    As long as the movie keeps the Transforming sound then I will be happy.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    I'm hopeful, but then that's because I've talked to Bay personally and he seemed really concerned about staying true to the spirit of the original cartoon.

See, in that sentence there's two things that argue in favor of this movie sucking a lot:

1) Michael Bay.

2) Staying true to the spirit of the cartoons.

The cartoons were terrible. The only reason I was a Transformers fan was because of the awesome comics. The one and only good thing the cartoons had going for them was Soundwave's voice.

reVerse on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Man there is an incredible amount of fanboism for this movie.

They've already made bumblebee NOT a bug. I doubt they will do things like keep the exact same sounds for Optimus's blaster, and tiny little things like that. Its a live action movie, and there are lots of things they wont do from th cartoon. Be warned.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Personally, I think this movie COULD work, in theory. A realistically styled Transformers film sounds like it has potential(NOTE: I am a Beast Wars fan, that was what I grew up with, so I have a huge love of quality CG/live action transformers).

But, it's going to take lots and lots of effort and luck and talking to the fans to make it work well. I have some high hopes for this movie either way, though.

yalborap on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    [quote=[Tycho?]]Man there is an incredible amount of fanboism for this movie.

They've already made bumblebee NOT a bug. I doubt they will do things like keep the exact same sounds for Optimus's blaster, and tiny little things like that. Its a live action movie, and there are lots of things they wont do from th cartoon. Be warned.[/quote]

Oh I have little doubt that the movie probably will suck in the end. That won't stop my trip down nostalgia lane and some of the pointless optimism it breeds. 8)

subedii on
    edited July 2006
    subedii wrote:
    I must have watched the movie a hundred times when I was a kid. I think I've still got all the dialogue memorised.

But the best scene would be:

"Megatron must be stopped... no matter the cost..."
    *cue cheesy 80's rock ballad "you've got the touch"*

And Optimus then proceeds to kick the ass of the decepticon invading force by himself and in pure style. I will ALWAYS remember that scene, and if Michael Bay can give us a scene as awesome as that I would weep tears of joy like a little girl.

In fact, this thread DEMANDS something to illustrate the point:
    SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SEE THE ANIMATED MOVIE!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1164689046252207811&q=transformers
    If they don't keep the sound of Optimus' blaster, I am going to seriously hurt their sound guy.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05R3GMyL91o&mode=related&search=transformers%20movie
    Hot Rod Vs. The giant squid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4GaPcLgOs&mode=related&search=transformers%20movie
    Unicron's transformation

That scene where Optimus owns the Decepticons all alone is simply amazing. They just don't make cartoons like that anymore :)

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2006
    I think them fucking this up would almost be the equivelent of them fucking up Spider-man 3 for me

Heartbreaking

aquabat on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm posting here simply because, well... sig, av...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • The_Infernal_MachineThe_Infernal_Machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm posting here simply because, well... sig, av...

You're a brave man. No matter what happens, we'll be here for you.

The_Infernal_Machine on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Just kidding, I have actual stuff to add.

http://kino-express.ru/stills/transformers

More pictures, and most likely the source of the ones the OP has. Most noticeably, there's an older Camaro, the same yellow and black as the new Camaro, being chased by the cop car. Then there's the new Camaro, which makes me wonder if we're going to see some kind of 'Bumblebee gets destroyed/Bumblebee gets a new body' scene.

Also, http://kino-express.ru/pics/tf/transformers_onset_7.jpg, a larger version of the cop car with "To Punish and Enslave" visible. Linked because it's huge. And, http://kino-express.ru/pics/tf/transformers_onset_16.jpg. The rumors are that Megatron is going to be a tank, so, Megatron?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png