As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    That's a fairly BKV heavy list, so you could prob check out Ex Machina also ( he did Y:the last man, and most of the good episodes of Lost )

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Planetary is amazing and you should definitely read it.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    I'm in the mood for some comics. I tried the first trade of Runaways a couple months ago, it didn't really grab me. I'm looking at buying a couple of trades.

Things I have liked:
    Y: The Last Man
    The Sandman
    Watchmen
    Lost
    Fringe

I'm thinking either Powers, Fables, Planetary, or something else sci-fi or maybe a (relatively) standalone superhero.

Try Locke and Key. It's more fantasy than sci-fi, but in terms of quality, it's the closest thing I've found to Y the Last Man, which has long been a favorite of mine. The elevator pitch is that a family moves into an old house that has a malevolent spirit occupying it. They happen upon a bunch of magic keys that, when inserted into the proper receptacle, do different things. Put the Ghost Key in the right door, walk through it, and you die, becoming a ghost, until you walk back through the door.

It's a really tense and exciting book, that you can read more about here, including a longer review by me. Don't click the spoilers though, seriously. It's also available digitally, with the first volume priced at just $5.

Chew may be a little too cartoony for you, but I really enjoy it. It's about a police detective who's cibopathic, able to get psychic readings from things he eats. In a world where the FDA is the most powerful government organization, due to an outbreak of bird flu that killed millions, Tony Chu is one of several people with food-oriented abilities, attempting to unravel a few dozen conspiracies. The first book's only $10 in print, and even cheaper digitally. You can also read the first issue for free, just to see how it strikes you.

• Options
    Yay Munch, it took all my willpower not to suggest Locke and Key cause I was starting to just say that no matter what the request, but ya Locke and Key!

Also , you may like Preacher, altho I don't know where to even start describing that in a short paragraph.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yay Munch, it took all my willpower not to suggest Locke and Key cause I was starting to just say that no matter what the request, but ya Locke and Key!

Also , you may like Preacher, altho I don't know where to even start describing that in a short paragraph.

I can describe Preacher in a sentence-- an over rated comic book about faith and America with ugly art.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I went to my local comic shop and bought volume 1 of Planetary and of Ex Machina. Ex Machina was good, but Planetary was what I was looking for. I ordered the other 3 trades on Amazon just now.

Store didn't have volume 1 of Locke and Key or Powers, or they would have gotten consideration. They might soon, since Planetary is so short.

captaink on
  • Options
    I love the art ( as well as everything else, but art question mostly) of Kingdom Come and Justice by Alex Ross, have their been more series he has done in this style?
    I only recently found Justice, so didn't even know that style went beyond Kingdom, but I am hooked on it and need more!

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Have you read Marvels, done by Ross and Kurt Busiek? That and Kingdom Come are considered to be his two seminal works.

He also did a series over over-sized single issue stories, collected in The World's Greatest Superheroes. Individually, they were Batman: War on Crime, Shazam: Power of Hope, Superman: Peace on Earth, Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth, and JLA: Liberty and Justice. They were all written by Paul Dini.

He also did a Vertigo take on Uncle Sam (of the Freedom Fighters) titled U.S.

• Options
    Thanks Munch, might even be able to have them with my weeks pickup because I was gonna be late picking up, which would be nice.
    Also excited because I did not know about Marvels, and that sounds like something I need to have!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Planetary is amazing. Definitely exactly what I needed.

• Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    I work in a small library, and as of next week I am in charge of the comic book section. Most of the stock is DC+Marvel superhero material. I don't know too much about comics, so I'd love for some recommendations.

Things I have read and enjoyed: Persepolis, Watchmen, Bone, Maus, V for Vendetta, Astonishing X-Men, Superman: Red Son, and everything I've seen of Chris Ware. Thanks.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    pots+pans wrote:
    I work in a small library, and as of next week I am in charge of the comic book section. Most of the stock is DC+Marvel superhero material. I don't know too much about comics, so I'd love for some recommendations.

Things I have read and enjoyed: Persepolis, Watchmen, Bone, Maus, V for Vendetta, Astonishing X-Men, Superman: Red Son, and everything I've seen of Chris Ware. Thanks.

That’s an impressive list already.

Throw some Batman: Year One, All-Star Superman, Ultimate Spider-Man and Rise of Arsenal in there and your set.
    Do not throw Rise of Arsenal in there under any circumstances

Maximum on
  • Options
    Ultimate Spider-man
    Planet Hulk
    Chew
    Kingdom Come/Marvels
    Locke and Key
    Annihilation/Cosmic Marvel
    Atomic Robo

Also, slightly confused, are you just looking for stuff to read while in a section of the library you haven't worked often, or are you looking for new stuff to fill the shelves? ( my list stands either way tho heh)

• Options
    Planetary
    Sandman
    Hellboy
    All-Star Superman

Also you should get some Marvel Masterworks collections. Kids should know the classics.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    You should also get some horribly continuity-laden and overwrought event trades. Like all the tie-ins to Fear Itself, but none of the main event. Also Infinite Crisis.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    Also, slightly confused, are you just looking for stuff to read while in a section of the library you haven't worked often, or are you looking for new stuff to fill the shelves? ( my list stands either way tho heh)

Sorry, wasn't too clear there, I'm just looking to expand my knowledge. At the moment I feel like a bit of a dick for being in charge of comics when I don't know too much about them. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
    Also you should get some Marvel Masterworks collections. Kids should know the classics.
    Ha, just got some of the Iron man ones today.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Herbie Archives

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    So...I'm not exactly new to comics, but this is recommendation central and I need some help. I've read a ton of DC comics, but I've stayed away from Marvel until now and I have no idea where to start. I'm particularly interested in Iron Man, Spiderman, Thor and the Avengers. So can any knowledgeable guys help me out?

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    For spider-man you can with either Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 1, or Amazing Spider-Man starting with the trade "Big Time" aka issue 648. Iron Man you can start with the current volume with it's first trade being Invincible Iron Man Volume 1 : The Five Nightmares. For Thor, start with the first trade of the JMS run, Thor Volume 1.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    There's a point one for Spider-Man really soon, isn't there?

Also if you're looking to start with the current Avengers, keep in mind Avengers and New Avengers are paired and you should get both. Or Secret Avengers, which looks like a lot of fun and it's last two issues (from the last two weeks) are an intentional jumping on point.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    I'm not really interested in getting quickly to the most current stuff. I'd love to grab anything good from the past 12 years or so.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Avengers Assemble vol. 1-5 contain Kurt Busiek's Avengers run, which is the best run the series has ever had.

They also have these Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Collections that contain the JMS run in 5 volumes, which is the Spidey run I started reading when I got back into comics in 2001, and it really was a good way to get me interested in Spider-Man again. The first 3 are really good.

For Iron Man, the best place to start would be the Extremis story, then Execute Program. It's where Tony's current persona and motivations start from.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Anyone here use Comixology? I am tempted to just start getting some stuff on there.

Also, Carnage USA. Yay or nay?

edit: Bought issue #1 of Batman (the reboot thingy). I enjoyed it. Might get the rest of the issues. I am tempted to get Batman & Robin too. Is that any good? Is it like a complementary series to the main Batman one?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Skip Carnage USA. If you want symbiote fun, get the current Venom run by Remender.

And yes, do get Batman and Batman & Robin, although they aren't terribly linked.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Gonna second Arivia here, though I don't read B&R myself

I got last year's Carnage series (which sets up Carnage USA) in singles and I can give them to you if you want next time I'm in your neck of the woods

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I don't read B&R either, but if that setup appeals it is just really good at that!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I actually have the single issues of the new Venom series (which I need to get the next one or two). I usually get trades but for some reason I started buying single issues of this one. The covers aren't even that good.

I'll get B&R on my phone. At least the first issue to see if I like it.

edit: Also, I am looking to get what I am missing of the new Venom series. I have up to issue #8 and I browsed on Amazon and it looks like they are up to issue #13. Is that the latest one?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The latest one is actually #13.1, as they are doing a mini event in the pages of Venom this month we a .1 every week. Venom #13.2 comes out tomorrow, for example.

Solar on
  • Options
    I am going to hit up the local shop tomorrow to see if they have the Venom issues I need.

I bought a few more issues of Detective Comics (I am up to issue #4) and Batman & Robin (I am up to issue #3). I also see that there is a Dark Knight and Batman series as well with the New 52. They worth my time? Should I just stick with these two for now?

I am tempted to get a few first issues of stuff to see what might stick. I was never really into Superman or Flash or Green Lanturn.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Batman is very good, you should definitely check it out.

Do not buy The Dark Knight.

If you're even a little bit curious about Superman, definitely check out Action Comics, though.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    not action comics

it isn't friendly to new readers

superman under giffen and jurgens should be though

• Options
    Once I buy all the digital issues of Detective Comics and B&R, I will get into Batman. Is that Superman the New 52 one?

I find it insane that there are like 4-5 different series of one character going around at once.

Is it wrong that I own all The Walking Dead trades but want to buy every issue on my phone? Haha. I really need an iPad to better view these. One day.

Any other suggestions for me to dl? I kind of want to get into the newer stuff if I buy anything. Venom I am getting physical issues of and TWD/Locke&Key/Ultimate Spider-Man I get the trades. I saw that they had Transformers on Comixology and that the issues dealing with The Wreckers or whatever is recommended on here. I might try that.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    re: Wreckers
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1613771266/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1600107168&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HNWBNB14VYE1SEQQFRS
    the hardcover

as for current Transformers, you'll want to pick up the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot before picking up either More Than Meets the Eye #1 or Robots in Disguise #1

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Last Stand of the Wreckers is great and people should buy it

• Options
    I'll have to dl the Wreckers trade on comixology.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I placed an order for Venom #15 and 16 at my local shop. I have never done anything like this before.

I asked if they had any older issues and they seemed baffled. Haha. I guess Amazon it is for Venom 9-13.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I would also recommend Things From Another World for buying back issues.

• Options
    I would also recommend Things From Another World for buying back issues.

Have you ordered from there I assume? I found 4 issues from there. I might get those from there and the rest on Amazon. All the issues I need from Amazon....the shipping is $10 more than the issues themselves.

I am gonna ask the comic shop near me if they can get me the back issues.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I've ordered from TFAW a few times. They're good people, andthey have pretty amazing sales from time to time.

• Options
    Ordered Venom #9, 13.1, and 13.2 from Amazon. Ordered #10, 11, 12, 13 from that site. So, what is the next one that is coming out? There are four parts to the current arc, right? So, is it 13-13.3? I just want to know what I need to look for next. I let the local shop know I want #15 and #16.

Looking through the preview books, I found a few things that interested me.

-Chew vol. 5 (It said like $12 in the book, but Amazon has it for $8. I think I get a discount for being a member, so we will see.)
    -Venom #15, 16
    -Star Wars:Blood Ties: Boba Fett is Dead #1
    -Uncanny X-Force #24 (I like Iceman and it looked like an issue about him.)
    -Uncanny X-men #11 (Juggernaut Collossus vs Red Hulk? Why the hell not.)
    -Secret Avengers #25 (I saw Venom on the cover and said fuck it.)

Besides Chew and Venom, any thoughts on the other issues I ordered? I was thinking of getting Avengers vs Xmen but I will wait for a trade. I might cut back on buying games and spend that money on subscriptions (and iTunes bucks to get digital issues as well).

bYf6vNQ.png
This discussion has been closed.