As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer Extravaganza! (Tues/Thurs 10 PM; Save in OP)

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
So Crusader Kings 2 is going to come out on Tuesday and PolloDiablo suggested we play a multiplayer crazyfest. What's Crusader Kings 2? It's the sequel to Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings, a game of dynasties set in the Middle Ages. You marry your daughters for alliances, poison your eldest son's wine because he has crappy stats and his younger brother would make a better ruler, and try to build a lasting empire for your family. The demo was released about a week ago and can be found here. They claim there's only four playable options but if you select one of them and hit play, between that and the actual loading bar coming up you can pick anyone on the map.

From the other thread:
Because I like organization and this sounds fun and it'd be cool to get it off the ground not long after release, let's formalize multiplayer talks. The manual says that 32 person max is actually not really true for internet games (they recommend LAN only for 32 people) and you should probably cut it down to 12 or so.

IP: 216.58.117.133

Current save: http://phyphor.padev.net/autosave.zip

I think we could probably get five more from the people talking about it in the thread. I would host, but I don't have the best computer/connection (they're fine... but not great, I'm sure one of y'all have a better one). It recommends we all know the host's IP.

Obvious next question: time. We'd have to schedule.

And according to the manual, there are two 1066 start dates. In the first, the three way battle for England is ongoing, in the second William has conquered has England and is now "the Conqueror" instead of "the Bastard." There's also the Third Crusade and the Hundred Years' War. I'd prefer one of the two 1066s, but if there's support for one of the others that's fine too.

I think Phyphor's smallish, widely separated duchies idea is a good one, though determining what is a smallish Duchy is an interesting question (I feel like Bohemia and Normandy should be banned). The masochistic among us could take Counts (bonus if it's Vermandois, though I should probably change my avatar/sig at this point) as well. And I think either Aragon or Navarre could be taken, but other Kingdoms I'm sketchier on. If no one minds, I kind of want to unite Ireland and see what I can do from there?
Phyphor wrote:
I have a beast of a machine and a decent connection, plus a dns entry that always points to me. We may have some issues with upstream bandwidth with 12, but as long as it's not too bad / easily compressible I may be able to ping off of the padev server we have set up and compress the outgoing. Hopefully we would have a vent server set up somewhere?

I wasn't thinking we would necessarily set up on opposite sides in the map, but scattered throughout england/france/germany/italy, or maybe pairs that allied or something. Mostly so we don't immediately clash. I would suggest duchies with say 5 counties total for personal + vassals, maybe one or two more for poorer lands. Bohemia I would agree with banning if only becuase they have a kingdom available from day 1. Navarre is hardmode.

I went ahead and claimed the Duchy of Munster, and Euphoriac wanted either Austria or Northumberland. I'm fairly sure Austria shouldn't be in the 1066 start, so that would make him Northumberland.

PolloDiablo also made a suggestion about everyone being in the same Kingdom and trying to work together which could also be interesting. Perhaps a second game if we find this one entertaining? Probably have to be in the Holy Roman Empire or Byzantium though, don't think anyone else has that many Duchies. Maybe some of the Muslims?

Summary: if you want to sign up, do so in a way that would attract my attention, including preferred Duchies (ideally in Western Europe so we all interact, but really wherever you want; if you want to build a Russian goliath for us all to team up on, go ahead), whether you'd prefer a pre or post-William England and preferred time(s) when you can play.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Brandenburg or Flanders

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hmm. Barcelona has too many provinces to count as small. Aragon is fairly well-placed for forming Spain, so I'll pick that. jdarksun, want to form an alliance and divide Muslim Iberia between us? As I mentioned in the other thread, the biggest problem for the Reconquista in the 1066 start is the various Jimenez brothers and cousins fighting each other for various crowns, and I'd like to avoid that.

Captain Carrot on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Phyphor wrote:
    Brandenburg or Flanders

Isn't Brandenberg the heir of the Empire if the Kaiser doesn't have any children? I saw the HRE flag moved up there in my last game.

Aragon is technically a King, so you'll have a prestige edge on the rest of us. I personally don't care, but if anyone objects, speak up.

enlightenedbum on
    Phyphor wrote:
    Brandenburg or Flanders

Isn't Brandenberg the heir of the Empire if the Kaiser doesn't have any children? I saw the HRE flag moved up there in my last game.

No, the Empire is chosen via election. Or should be anyway, that's the succession type

Aragon is technically a King, so you'll have a prestige edge on the rest of us. I personally don't care, but if anyone objects, speak up.
    I thought all the big Christian Iberian kingdoms, Aragon included, had a duchy under them. Isn't there a King of Aragon and Duke of Aragon?

I thought all the big Christian Iberian kingdoms, Aragon included, had a duchy under them. Isn't there a King of Aragon and Duke of Aragon?

There's always a duchy, yeah, but he holds that title as well

Phyphor wrote:
    Phyphor wrote:
    Brandenburg or Flanders

No, the Empire is chosen via election. Or should be anyway, that's the succession type

Try not to win the first election then. :P

• cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    How important do you think latency is going to be for this? I'm considering getting the game, but I'm currently living in China so my ping will probably be horrendous.

I imagine it's a lot of data that's constantly going back and forth, but I'm not really sure.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    See, I would really like to try out a game as Navarra. That would make that region rather cluttered, but maybe that is not a bad thing. The future freedom of the Basque people must be ensured!

Time may be an issue since I am Swedish (currently GMT+2, I think). Due to having a half-day off on Wednesday I could probably play until 2AM GMT, but the earlier the better.

Vic on
    PA vent would be the easiest solution.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I won't be getting this game at launch (My wallet hurts!) but please someone record / edit this. I want to see how the PA version of the middle-ages looks.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    A giant multiplayer LP?

It's not exactly hard to take screenshots.

Phyphor wrote:
    Phyphor wrote:
    Brandenburg or Flanders

Try not to win the first election then. :P

Ah, I checked after and Brandenburg is the favoured successor, I guess because the Kaiser's wife is his heir and the empire is male-only. I guess I can take a different north german one

Vic wrote:
    See, I would really like to try out a game as Navarra. That would make that region rather cluttered, but maybe that is not a bad thing. The future freedom of the Basque people must be ensured!

Time may be an issue since I am Swedish (currently GMT+2, I think). Due to having a half-day off on Wednesday I could probably play until 2AM GMT, but the earlier the better.

Navarra is hard mode, I think. But at least we'll have reasonable allied Christians down there.

I can play any weekday after 6 eastern. Weekends I may be busy but can probably get some free time

edited February 2012
    I think that combined with Vic makes things hard. Based on cursory internet search, 6 PM Eastern = midnight Stockholm?

enlightenedbum on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Eastern is GMT-5, if that helps.

How will the multiplayer work with this? Is there no pausing or does the host control the time? I'm a fan of the paradox games, but I never played one til completion. I really enjoyed CK, although it didn't feel like I was doing too much. Just making choices and watching things unfold. The combat was never too interesting - but that could be said about most of their games.

I'm interested in how this MP game will pan out. I've been having some PC troubles, otherwise I'd like to join in.

I think that combined with Vic makes things hard. Based on cursory internet search, 6 PM Eastern = midnight Stockholm?

Yeah, I think I might be screwed for weekdays. That tends to be the case.

I would suggest planning without me and if it turns out I can show up then that is a bonus.

edited February 2012
    Well weekends before like 4-5pm aren't so bad, but I'm not reliably free after that

I'm not sure how they're going to do the save stuff, but I can post it to a server and someone else can host if I'm not there

Phyphor on
    jdarksun wrote:
    Hmm, how should we do communication while we play? IRC, voice, something else?

Hmm. Typing and playing at the same time is rather difficult, particularly since (presumably) we can't pause. 12 people talking, however, could get messy.

• DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    Dublin I'll unite Ireland and create the greatest potato kingdom ever.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited February 2012
    Demiurge wrote:
    Dublin I'll unite Ireland and create the greatest potato kingdom ever.

I'm already Ireland, GTFO unless you want me to crush you.

Also it seems like weekday evenings are the best bet. Is there anyone who can't do 8-12 weekdays besides Vic?

enlightenedbum on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    Playing a strategy game with this many players seems very intriguing. I've never been that great at Paradox games, but I'll try the demo out and see if I think it's worth the money. Definitely going to want to hear about the experience regardless!

jdarksun wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Hmm, how should we do communication while we play? IRC, voice, something else?
    Hmm. Typing and playing at the same time is rather difficult, particularly since (presumably) we can't pause. 12 people talking, however, could get messy.
    Voice channels by region?
    That could work. Do you and @Vic have Skype? That's the only voice chat I have besides Gchat (which I've never used, so I'm not sure if it would work properly).

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Ok, I was looking around at differenc duchies to try to find one I wanted to be. I was looking for one with a blind duke so I could say "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see," and then crash everything into a horrible mess. But I couldn't find one, so now my goal is to preserve a Saxon England. A cursory check makes me want to be the Duchy of Lancaster, if you guys don't consider an English duke too powerful. They start just behind the front lines of the wars, so I might be able to hold on without immediately getting crushed. I don't know if it's even possible to survive, but I'd like to try.

Traits are randomized!

edited February 2012
    Ok, I was looking around at differenc duchies to try to find one I wanted to be. I was looking for one with a blind duke so I could say "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see," and then crash everything into a horrible mess. But I couldn't find one, so now my goal is to preserve a Saxon England. A cursory check makes me want to be the Duchy of Lancaster, if you guys don't consider an English duke too powerful. They start just behind the front lines of the wars, so I might be able to hold on without immediately getting crushed. I don't know if it's even possible to survive, but I'd like to try.

Try some test games with the demo.

And I think we need some northern France/south Germany/Italy players, if possible.

enlightenedbum on
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    If Pollo wants Lancaster, i'd be happy to take a Duchy in Southern Germany.

Euphoriac wrote:

Bavaria?

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular

And I think we need some northern France/south Germany/Italy players, if possible.

I'm interested in playing in the Italian Peninsula. The further south the better.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote:

Bavaria?

No idea, still haven't played the demo to get an idea of which exactly. I have most of tomorrow off work and i'll be trying it out then.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I would love to be able to watch what you guys are doing because I haven't had time to sit down and go through the learning curve on this game.

edited February 2012

I'm interested in playing in the Italian Peninsula. The further south the better.

There are two independent Duchies down there, one which is all by itself, and Apulia, which is fairly strong and if you can get the money/piety can form the Kingdom of Sicily from the beginning, but you have the Pope/HRE to your north and quite a few strong Muslims to your south. I actually lost a war to the Sultan of Africa in a test game with them this afternoon. I should have saved money to hire some mercs.

enlightenedbum on
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    Apuila looks good. It also has a pretty old ruler and Gavelkind, which might make for an interesting start.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    I wish I could take part in this. But being in Australia, it would be impossible to find a decent time to get on with everyone else.

I expect regular progress updates in this thread!

• ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'll just pretend I'm playing some random duchy and take credit for any successes they have :)

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    We've got one more slot if Vic can play super late on weekdays on any kind of semi-consistent basis. If not, two more. With high demand we could probably stretch beyond the Paradox recommended limit, but I doubt we should go much beyond 12.

enlightenedbum on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Ok, test report indicates that it's possible to save Saxon England. I'm gonna go for it. I just need to be lucky with assassins, or maybe pick my battles a little smarter.